Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Martman posted:

Why was Beast Machines so bad :qq:

I barely even remember it, I was so hyped for it after being a huge fan of Beast Wars and it was so wildly off-putting that I'm not sure if I watched more than like 3 episodes

It's largely because the people making Beast Machines were specifically told to not watch Beast Wars. Whoever was in charge wanted the new show to be accessible to new viewers and not have a bunch of references or story baggage from the previous show, which I can kind of understand in the landscape of late 90's television, but then why bother doing a sequel at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Robot Style posted:

The article actually mentions him, though not in that context:

Hollywood can be pretty stupid sometimes, but it's good that they're learning that maybe indie filmmakers shouldn't be handling hundred million dollar VFX tentpole movies that they're totally unequipped for. Just because someone's a great at-home cook doesn't mean you should put them in charge of a TV dinner assembly line.
I support this more from the angle that those tentpole movies generally suck and I'd rather say, the next Barry Jenkins be making interesting movies rather than be handed the IP for The Lion King or TMNT. Like maybe Josh Trank was always a one hit wonder but I'd have had more fun with him trying other low budget found footage rather than some stupid tedious Marvel bullshit. These characters aren't interesting. They're done to loving death. It doesn't matter what you do with them or alternate universes or make it a musical blah blah blah. I cannot imagine being over 25 and not having had enough loving Batman and Joker and Spider-Man and Star Wars etc etc in your life already.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 6, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like today's Joe Dante would have just been handed...I dunno, some stupid bullshit like Constantine or the monster mash Justice League or Blade or the Punisher or whatever, instead of just doing this fantastic run of fun weird batshit movies.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Riddick: Furya begins filming in late August. David Twohy to return as writer and director.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Riddick: Furiosa?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm impressed they've kept the same director for all of those films.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jesus, it's been 10 years since the last Riddick?

I continue to be amazed that Diesel can get new sequels greenlit when they haven't exactly done well financially

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wasn’t the last one pretty universally hated by everyone, including the actual fans?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wasn’t the last one pretty universally hated by everyone, including the actual fans?

I enjoyed it, it was dumb as hell

There's a scene where Riddick barrel rolls a space motorcycle and it just zooms in on his bald head rotating around the screen lmao

Half the film is based on Riddick understanding that he's in a bad ripoff of the first movie, with the twist being that the movie is also aware of it so he should get over it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I didn't think it was terrible but it definitely felt like two movies that just got kind of crammed together.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Diesel actually owns the Riddick IP. He negotiated it away from Universal years ago as a caveat for him coming back to star in more F&F movies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

muscles like this! posted:

I didn't think it was terrible but it definitely felt like two movies that just got kind of crammed together.

From what I remember people liked it better than the Conan rehash of the previous one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

From what I remember people liked it better than the Conan rehash of the previous one.

While this is true, they are wrong to do so. :hai:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://www.ign.com/articles/james-gunn-shares-first-look-at-david-corenswets-superman

Superman looking quite morose here. A former supervisor of mine summarized it as "he looks like he has to go shovel the snow."

I recently watched this actor's performance in "Hollywood", which is not a good tv series, but he did a good job in the role he was given. So I know he can play a range of superman-esque emotions. I just hope the script allows he to be less scowly.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ccs posted:

https://www.ign.com/articles/james-gunn-shares-first-look-at-david-corenswets-superman

Superman looking quite morose here. A former supervisor of mine summarized it as "he looks like he has to go shovel the snow."

I recently watched this actor's performance in "Hollywood", which is not a good tv series, but he did a good job in the role he was given. So I know he can play a range of superman-esque emotions. I just hope the script allows he to be less scowly.

lol i saw that on fb and thought it was AI

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

lol i saw that on fb and thought it was AI

Studios put out some crazy poo poo when it comes to their promo images to billion dollar movies. Like they'll pixel gently caress to death a single frame from the film in vfx, but then give some elements to their internal marketing department who will mock up something that looks wildly amateurish, and that will be the first image people see.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Wow. A pink space laser. It’s breaking new ground.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's interesting to see how each Superman reboot treated their First Picture of Superman, and how it reflects each new take on the character.

Superman Returns was just "Superman has returned". The focus of the shot is on the character himself, with a generic art-deco background. This picture got a lot of flak back in the day because it was just a "modern" take on the Reeve version with the fun sucked out of it and some changes people disliked, which was also basically what the movie ended up being.

Possibly as a response to the action-light Superman Returns, the first picture of Superman from Man of Steel shows him in the middle of a brawl. But more than just saying "don't worry, Superman will get to punch somebody in this movie", the photo actually keeps Superman relatively small in frame and puts as much focus on the damaged bank vault. The movie isn't just about Superman - it's about the effect he has on the world around him.

Showing Superman putting on his boots is an interesting choice here. Normally the most we get is him ripping his shirt open and then he's just fully dressed in the next scene. It's in the same ballpark The Batman actually showing Bruce Wayne wear eye makeup under the cowl, and helps to humanize him when compared to the more mythical Snyder version of the character (as does showing his suit actually being dirty). I am worried that this picture is also saying "Superman is going to be the least interesting thing in his own movie", though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Grimdark James Gunn is ruining Superman! He’s so dour and dark! This isn’t what Superman is! How could DC let someone who clearly doesn’t get Superman ruin the character like this?!?

And look at those muscles… they’re seriously making Superman into a body fascist?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I see a tall building; this is obviously randian

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'd like to see Superman leisurely do a Mr Rogers style dressing up scene as the world burns around him and millions of people die via space laser.

The super hearing picks up all the screams of anguish, but gotta make sure the fit is nice and tight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chairman Capone posted:

Grimdark James Gunn is ruining Superman! He’s so dour and dark! This isn’t what Superman is! How could DC let someone who clearly doesn’t get Superman ruin the character like this?!?

And look at those muscles… they’re seriously making Superman into a body fascist?

Snyder is the blueprint

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ccs posted:

Studios put out some crazy poo poo when it comes to their promo images to billion dollar movies. Like they'll pixel gently caress to death a single frame from the film in vfx, but then give some elements to their internal marketing department who will mock up something that looks wildly amateurish, and that will be the first image people see.

Like how early teaser trailers will use unfinished CGI and everyone will say the movie has terrible CGI even tho it won't be out for another six months.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Maybe I’m giving their creativity too much credit, but this Superman image makes me think it’s supposed to be I dunno, self aware? Like the point is that the literal apocalypse is happening, but for Superman that’s not a big challenge. “Braniac’s really not putting his heart into it anymore, it’s been a space laser the last six times! I miss when he sent giant robots and evil clones. He’s really lost his passion for this. I should ask Lois if she wants me to pick up some milk on the way home.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I trust that James Gunn can actually give us a decent Superman movie for the first time in a long time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bar Crow posted:

Wow. A pink space laser. It’s breaking new ground.

I really hope the movie is a reaction to the "Superman doesn't care about collateral damage in Man of Steel" pissbabies. Just Superman going "Ugh, fine I'll deal with it!" for 90 minutes, always arriving after whole city blocks have been levelled.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
knowing James Gunn he'll probably just be indifferent Homelander

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I trust that James Gunn can actually give us a decent Superman movie for the first time in a long time.

2021 wasn't really all that long ago, it just feels like it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ccs posted:

Not even getting into movie trailers seem to be actively trying to ruin the movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ccs posted:

Alicia Vikander's corkscrew giraffe neck from the first Tomb Raider promo pic springs to mind.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the suit looks like it has that basketball type texture to it, i hate that texture

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ccs posted:

He looks tired and his suit is dirty like he is being called back into work after a double-shift. A little medicine practitioner, first responder, or utility worker vibes.

It is very relatable and I think it is trying to convey gunn's Superman is not a God, but a man.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Snyder's Superman walked so Gunn's Superman could sit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snyder had his chance.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So did the boots just appear on his feet in the phone booth before now? Is that why people are mad?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re mad because James Gunn personally killed Zack Snyder and Henry Cavill with his bare hands

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People think Zack Snyder is strong. And that’s true. But his neck is weak because he skipped neck day.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Richard b reddick is the name of the character vin diesel plays in the chronicles of riddick

mystes
May 31, 2006

Richard B. Reddickulous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dick B