Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

You know what, I've got another belated albeit still relevant comment.

The whole COVID flashback Rudy/Fiona storyline had been bugging me in a way I couldn't quite put my figure on until this strip and yeah, it's this. The rest of the family being extremely paternalistic and controlling for weeks on end about Rudy and Fiona seeing each other. For awhile the excuse for this was the COVID lockdown, but as this strip confirms, they're still treating Rudy and Fiona like this even though the issue of her possibly being asymptomatic has already been resolved. And because Rudy had the temerity to notice this and call attention to it, the strip acts as if that's a perfectly valid justification for why they've been behaving this way.

There's a certain condescension to this kind of moral superiority that's remarkably on brand for the COVID era, or for that matter the sort of liberal adjacent politics Holbrook tends to exemplify. Stupid people who accept that they're stupid and listen to the obvious superiority of the smarter characters are rewarded. Stupid people who continue to defy the smarter characters in spite of their obvious superiority are punished, often mortally. At no point in this cycle is anyone entitled to an explanation for why the world needs to work like it does, is how we get to the baffling position of Kell and R.L. being coded as good and bad based entirely on the attitude they present while running a legalized murder corporation, and not on the fact that they're running a legalized murder corporation at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

Continuing my slow march to the present day of the thread and just hit upon the edit discussion. I can only remember ever doing one edit...five years ago, apparently. Although the point it's making is, I think many will agree, fairly evergreen.

Thanks for doing this. It really highlights why I don't like Sally Forth's writing. It drowns you with so many words but actually says very little, and seeing the joke edited like this shows it's not even all that funny.

From watching BoTW, this is where Rie has to grab whatever shield she can get on hand and reflect the projectile back to the robot.

Saoshyant posted:

I don't follow this Holbrook stuff and honestly shouldn't even be occasionally reading it whenever it's posted here, but

The hell is up with Slick McGee here going as far as never ditching the backwards cap and sunglasses even when sleeping in a loving bed? What deep lore do these items hold for him that he will wear them even in the shower and on his wedding day?

Holbrook is a lazy hack who can't be assed to update the designs of Rudy and people around his age group, which is kind of a problem now that they're in college and having children while still having the proportions of middle schoolers. Also, Person Has Characteristic is how Holbrook differentiates his characters and Rudy's is that he wears sunglasses and wears a baseball cap backward all the time. Is this a good substitute for having a personality? Nope. Is Holbrook going to do this for all his characters? He sure is!

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Many parents don't want their kids "living in sin" in their house, even if they're adults

Has nothing to do with covid

Judge it as stupid but it's relatable to many

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Some Guy TT posted:

You know what, I've got another belated albeit still relevant comment.

The whole COVID flashback Rudy/Fiona storyline had been bugging me in a way I couldn't quite put my figure on until this strip and yeah, it's this. The rest of the family being extremely paternalistic and controlling for weeks on end about Rudy and Fiona seeing each other. For awhile the excuse for this was the COVID lockdown, but as this strip confirms, they're still treating Rudy and Fiona like this even though the issue of her possibly being asymptomatic has already been resolved. And because Rudy had the temerity to notice this and call attention to it, the strip acts as if that's a perfectly valid justification for why they've been behaving this way.

Pretty sure the “joke” here is that the family thinks they’re loving

e: ^^^ yeah that

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Rubber Chicken posted:

Many parents don't want their kids "living in sin" in their house, even if they're adults

Has nothing to do with covid

Judge it as stupid but it's relatable to many

While I acknowledge the validity of this interpretation, I maintain there's a very strong irony to a comic taking this perspective when every other plotline is about how everyone who's not a named character is racist for not liking interracial relationships.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Mary Worth:Calling it now, this is all setup for this December's It's a Wilburful Life where some angel talks him off a bridge by showing him all the lives he's accidentally improved.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I'm back and

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 03, 2002)

accurately sums up my weekend. The temperature was relatively mild where I was, yet I spent three days sweating through every piece of clothing I brought.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/23-25/43

This strip continues to surprise me, now by publishing my sexual fantasies...40-odd years before I was born, and 50-odd years before I hit puberty.

https://voca.ro/17VI7lSSevbR

Kanna brings to mind basically every create-a-character I've made in a video game for the last 20 years (Her hair needs to be platinum white, though.)

Realistic Fat Cat Proportions Garfield (My cat went in for her FELV shot a week ago and she was weighing in at 16lb 9 oz...which is up like 2 pounds from her last visit in November. She's on a diet now and is not happy about it, at all!)

Cul de Sac remains a delight

Fox Trot Classix remains a 2003 time capsule

Non Sequitur remains a precocious goth child strip. You people assured me this was a fluke when I picked it up!

It's a pop quiz, kid, the answer is "Shoot the hostage"

Rose is Rose remains unbearably saccharine

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Who cares? You don't have a job! I think!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's 2 in the morning here.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Poil posted:

It's 2 in the morning here.

See, you flip it around and it's how Calvin's Mom operates

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

goatface posted:

Not that I can turn up in a bit of digging.

I did learn that there are two versions of the original cartoon on the internet. This one:

and this one, that changes the cartoonist head model, enlarges the text balloon, adds a cafe name, and removes some floor detritus and the frame:

I don't know why the second one exists, or if it was a modification done by Kliban himself, but I would cynically guess it has to do with someone removing the artist signature because they're a content thief.

I kinda wish it was colored because I keep thinking the chick on the left doesn’t have any panties on.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/20-22/50

Archie 5/4-6/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 8/14/77

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

Rose is Rose remains unbearably saccharine

RiR keeps giving me the vibe that the characters are all low-key miserable and they're trying way too hard to be happy.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Is this the first time we've ever heard Spud's name?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

amigolupus posted:

I'm 99% sure that's not his name, Wallace's dad just gets it wrong all the time.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

rannum posted:

The difference between Dr Sawa and Dr T is so funny

I like that even though he started trying to go to bat for Dr T he still wound up doing the surgery in his place after his sad boy retreat

You’d hope it was because they listened to Uchida’s strongly-stated desire not to have T do the operation but to be honest I’m not sure I’d rate the chances that it wasn’t only because T recused himself.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Crab Dad posted:

I kinda wish it was colored because I keep thinking the chick on the left doesn’t have any panties on.

She doesn't.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

It's fun to see Petey's neurosis laid bare, I feel like him chewing his arm is usually an off-panel gag. And for it to be over the napkins from his 4th birthday with the character he doesn't like anymore :monocle: Really captures the indignities that upset kids at that age

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

amigolupus posted:

RiR keeps giving me the vibe that the characters are all low-key miserable and they're trying way too hard to be happy.

no, we've seen him called Jamiroquai before.

occasional recurring bit where Wallace's dad always gets Spud's name wrong, it's been escalating steadily

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Why did you put the dead frog in the flask in the first place? How did you do it? Did you raise it in there? Did it used to be a person and you DNA'd them into a frog? Now instead of breaking the flask are you going to DNA the snake into a worm or a sprig of poison oak or something else undignified against his will?

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 03, 1963)

It wasn't until that fourth panel that I realized how absurdly spacious the cabin room is.

Val's like "God drat I'm pissed too, but this is cruel"

Luann is still doing this

Gil Thorp

Home Free

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!
Jeez, when we were posting old edits I forgot my masterpieces because they weren't on imgur

fast

slow

I like the slow eyebrow better, but the rest of the fast gif flows better

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

JethroMcB posted:

Non Sequitur remains a precocious goth child strip. You people assured me this was a fluke when I picked it up!
I used to really enjoy NS but I stopped reading it regularly when it became too much about this kid. I was given a NS cartoon a day calendar for Christmas a year or two ago and if it's any indication goth kid takes up about 75% of the strips now. The rest are 'POLITICS/LAWYERS/ADVERTISERS/ETC., AMIRITE!' for the most part. Every once in a while it's just a good gag, but they are fewer and further between than they used to be.

Wiley's far from the worst artist and I still even like him in general (mostly leftover goodwill from when I really enjoyed the strip), but if goth kid annoys you, it's not the strip for you. She is not going away often, and when she does it won't be long. Those within this thread who claimed otherwise sit on a throne of lies.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (June 1-5, 2006)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Dinette

Popcom

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7moKnRM3Ml4

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Phone Bad. I am very smart

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 04, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i don't know how holbrook does it every time

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories, spoilered for drawings of drawings of boobs.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Sometimes simple jokes are the best

coronatae posted:

Aleta's expression in the last panel...I'm very excited to see what happens next :evilbuddy:

There's someone it reminds me of...

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 10, 1963)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Nell Brinkley(March 10, 1908)

quote:

HOOP-DEE-DOO! Comes the Billy of gorgeous royal purple and orange-the laughing, flaunting Poster Billy!

He is as keen as a fine weapon, but his bright gold coins never grow to such a high heap that they wabble. Long before the wabbling time they run through his debonair gay fingers and glint and twinkle and wink once and are gone-while he laughs and laughs and laughs.

There is bright color in his cheek bones. There are fine, laughing lines around his quick, responsive mouth, He is quick to laugh, and just as quick as he laughs despair can put out the wink in his eyes, pht!-like that, and he is all black tragedy.

But as long as there is a little heap of the round things that make music when you strike one upon the other, to gouge his fists into and let slip, let slip-why, then he sings and is most gay, like a light-heeled kid.

He builds great houses of dominos, and under the spell of his utter youth, and the racing of his words one upon the other, and the enchantment of his utter belief in his own self and this house he is building, you see blue green and black white, even as the Poster Billy sees it honestly his own self. And this house he is building under your eyes grows mighty and most wonderful and lasting, with marble and gold, even as it is to Billy.

But most always the houses that the Billy of orange and royal purple has builded are houses of dominos; and they fall, with a mighty dust rising-the dust of your clinking coins and it fills Billy's eyes and puts out the shining of them, aid walls from Billy climb to the sky, and you are not angry, because no one could be mad at him.

And then the smile wakes in his eyes and he hikes away, making another house of dominos in his debonair head. His eyes are gay under his hat. His hair shines blue-black like a bird's wing. His heart is as tender and generous as a sporty kid's heart; but it isn't the "one woman" heart, or the "one man" either.

It sees gold when the sun shines, and purple when he shakes his money box and listens and hears but thin rattles.

A little child might like to grip his forefinger in a sticky little fist, because it would see something of its own self in his eyes.

He makes much fine green and gilt money, but it leaves him like gold and falls and sinks away through the joining of your fingers.

This Billy would be young and building domino houses as long as he lived; and then when he died it would be like a flame gone out, and the world would forget before a day had gone.

And for this Billy, the stars and the tinsel fortunetellers say, is the Betty of Blue- blinding, marvelous blue, like the sky, and the water that lies under it- the blue that trembles and quivers and is as deep, and lasting as eternity.

This Betty believes in God and the angels. She is a bit old-fashioned. Her eyes are very quiet and unwinking under the level brows. She does not laugh so very much, but despair never touches her. She is unchangeable like the hills and the sea and the ages.

She has faith in all things; and the faith she would have in the Poster Billy might make his house of dominos sometimes into marble.

This blue Betty doesn't love many folk; but she would be like a sword called White Fire for those few that she did. As gallant, and as terrible.

She might keep the gold and green from slipping so fast through the fingers of the Poster Billy; but if the box did rattle thin, she would be an angel face for the despairing eyes of him.

She might make him spend less when he was gay, and sorrow and fear less when there was none to spend. She might make of his heart a "one-woman" heart, and a more gallant and thinking one.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
This just seemed the most obvious improvement.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

drat it didn't take you long to just start abusing the other dog, huh?

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Didn't the husband train the new dog to scratch the door specifically so it can communicate that it wants to go out? And said reason was because the mom thought the new dog was annoying because it kept barking to be let out? What, does she expect the dog to talk and tell her it needs to pee outside?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Strontium posted:

Phone Bad. I am very smart

Directed by M. Night Shayamalan

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/7/04

Brenda Starr 3/1/53

Smokey Stover 5/19/61

Everyday Movies 10/26/37

"Yes, over the phone you seem willing enough to kiss me -- but when I meet you ... "

You may notice that we've skipped over several months of Everyday Movies. Unfortunately, the paper I get EM from is missing early July through late October, and the other papers I have access to that run it are pretty poor quality scans that wash out a lot of the detail in Wortman's pencils. So rather than go through four months of bad scans, I decided to jump ahead.

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/29/43

Closer Than We Think! 5/19/61

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

:smith:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 5/19/61

Kind of upsetting topic, but still hilarious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

amigolupus posted:

Didn't the husband train the new dog to scratch the door specifically so it can communicate that it wants to go out? And said reason was because the mom thought the new dog was annoying because it kept barking to be let out? What, does she expect the dog to talk and tell her it needs to pee outside?

I'm pretty sure they were always trying to get it to not scratch the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/16/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/19/1994)

Ziggy

(12/15/1971)