Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there anything that has caused more of an uproar but doesn't actually exist than the furry/litter box drama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Medullah posted:

Is there anything that has caused more of an uproar but doesn't actually exist than the furry/litter box drama?

Obama's birth certificate?

Look out now...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Obama's birth certificate?

Look out now...

I said something that wasn't true.

Checkmate, lib

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Foiled again. God dammit.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
One of my neighbors who is awesome is from Egypt. I saw him the other day and remembered that Eid had happened recently and told him that I hope he had a good one. He told me thanks but he didn’t really care… all religions have their observant people and people who aren’t very observant even if they still identify as a member. Something that would probably blow these wing nuts minds.

Also, all of the food chat made me remember going to Pakistan and getting a McArabia… not bad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McArabia

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Medullah posted:

I cannot stress enough that the germ of truth that panic is based on is that active shooter hunker-down kits for classrooms were including chemical toilets or litter buckets in some places and it was just confabulated from there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Folks, I was gonna scroll right by this one but then I saw the group it came from and let me tell you if this header and hashtags isn't the most chaotic jumble of randomness I don't know what is

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Medullah posted:

Hillary and the child-harvesting pizza joint?

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Medullah posted:

Iraq's weapons of mass destruction?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Satanic Panic

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

On thinking bacon is kryptonite:

There are a lot of people who call themselves Christian but never actually read the Bible or any theology about their own faith, and certainly not the holy books of other religions. Their conception of what Christianity is is just generally absorbed from pop culture and that's why their beliefs are closer to Dungeons And Dragons or Indiana Jones than anything in the Scriptures.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BiggerBoat posted:

When I'm in the mood, I'll occasionally ask someone who's going on about it what they think "cancel culture" means and also what "woke" means. Mainly, they seem to think that "being cancelled" means that if you gently caress up or say something hosed up then you're entire career is ruined but they're usually woefully short on examples. I'll sometimes ask them what they think of Woody Allen being "cancelled" and they're generally OK with that. Or Bud Light. Or the Dixie Chicks. Or Bill Maher. Depends on who's being "cancelled", typically.

I mean, really, it's just the free market speaking; something they aggressively seem in favor of. Like you pointed out, you absolutely CAN say the same poo poo you always could. Probably more even. But repercussions are nothing new. I'm going way back here to make a point but Sam Kinison, Dice Clay, Al Campanis, Spike Lee, Chuck D, Al Sharpton, 2 Live Crew, Eddie Murphy, Lenny Bruce, LA Law, Murphy Brown...the list is endless of artists, shows, musicians, etc. who pushed boundaries and suffered consequences. SNL.

I'll ask a coworker or three that's bitching about "not being able to say/do that anymore" just what, exactly, they can't say anymore that they want to. None of them are racists or homophobes as far as I know. Again, they're generally short on answers beyond a few certain comedy films. They'll mention "All in the Family" or "Married WIth Children" and, again, those shows suffered tremendous backlash at the time. AitF used to run a pre-show disclaimer. It's really just being worried about being offensive but, by and large, we SHOULD collectively try not to do that too much.

And NONE of them know what the gently caress "woke" means.

It's just "politically correct" with a shorter title and basically means "try not to be an rear end in a top hat" and, if you ARE an rear end in a top hat, expect some pushback, along with trying to exercise some basic, general sense of empathy and compassion. But all I usually get is a mish mash of ______________ being "shoved down our throats". Two of them openly admitted that it was a good question and they;d never really thought about it.
Here's an author with a spicy take on what Woke means. They pretty much all believe a variation of this:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

namlosh posted:

One of my neighbors who is awesome is from Egypt. I saw him the other day and remembered that Eid had happened recently and told him that I hope he had a good one. He told me thanks but he didn’t really care… all religions have their observant people and people who aren’t very observant even if they still identify as a member. Something that would probably blow these wing nuts minds.

Also, all of the food chat made me remember going to Pakistan and getting a McArabia… not bad

the fact its named McArabia is probably the most iffy thing.

also reminds me of Rax and their Meatball Pita Pocket and a woman that exploded.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

Here's an author with a spicy take on what Woke means. They pretty much all believe a variation of this:

So basically intentionally not knowing what words mean and/or making poo poo up to be hateful. Genocide enabler/Nazi, sex/gender, Judaism/Zionism. That, or this person is smart enough to know the actual definition of woke and realizes it's never invoked by their side because it makes them look like massive assholes and shifts the discussion toward oh hey systemic injustices, they are real aren't they

Oh, "other side of the planet which does not affect them". Just actively being hostile toward the concept of empathy. And also probably not stopping to pause for one single moment to think about how everyone they hate, they specifically do not know any members of that group well enough to be affected by them.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 5, 2024

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

namlosh posted:

quote:

McArabia Saveur Tagine was a variant that had cumin bread, basil sauce, onions, cumin and coriander, combined with grilled vegetables (tomatoes, grilled red and yellow peppers), with a spicy basil sauce. It was only available in Morocco in April 2009.
McArabia Saveur Badinjan was a variant that had cumin bread and grilled vegetables consisting of eggplants, pepper and tomatoes. The sandwich was only available in Morocco in April 2009.[4]

gently caress, that sounds amazing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Panfilo posted:

The current understanding of gender identity from twin studies and brain imaging, while far from conclusive, heavily implies that gender identity is formed as part of in utero development and may not always match with assigned sex at birth, which itself was already known not to always match chromosomes or gametes.

Meanwhile current understanding of sexuality is as far more of a social phenomenon, that people would not be publicly identifying as gay were it not for centuries of straights obsessively policing the boundaries of straightness, in the same manner as Steve Biko says that 'black' is not a matter of pigmentation, it's a matter of organized opposition to white supremacy, you don't need to find the 'black gene' to understand that the whites are being oppressive.

But I guess 'anti-woke' isn't about understanding anything, it's just about trotting out talking points from the right wing outrage sphere.

(Also about pretending you care about Jews by ignoring one ethnic cleansing, while also deliberately ignoring the genocide of Christians in Chinland by Burma, because caring about things that are out of your direct line of sight is woke.)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

borkencode posted:

So, there is a lot of talk about kids identifying as cats or dogs “furries”, they call them.
Imagine if you can, that one of your kids told you they thought they were a cat?
Sitting at the supper table son says: “Dad, I think I’m a cat!”
Dad: “No son, you’re a boy! “
Son: “No dad some of my friends at school identify as cats, they call themselves furries, and so do I !! It’s my right and you can’t do anything about it!”
Dad: 🤔 “OK!! “
Son: “Hey, where’s my supper?“
Dad: “Your supper is in the catfood bowl in the corner. Now get off the table you mangy cat!”
Son: “What???”
Dad: hits him with a broom, “get off the table furball!!”
Son: in the corner looking bewildered!
Mom: “Is that cat neutered”??
Dad: “Nope.”
Mom: “I will make an appointment!! “
Son: “What??? “ 😳
Dad: “Your mother and I have decided we don’t want a house cat, so get out to the barn and hunt mice!”
Son: “What???”
Dad: brandishes broom, “NOW, to the barn you stupid cat!!”
Son: “Dad, I think I’m a boy!”
Dad: “I thought so, now sit down and eat your supper!!”
Now that’s what you call united parenting.
Spay and neuter these animals. Stop them from reproducing. Today’s society has enough fruit loops already.
End of story!🎤drop

Child abuse ftw!
Reminds me of when I was young and thought I was a dinosaur, so my parents tried to refine me into petroleum.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
I continue to be bewildered by the apparently-common conservative thought that, if your child tells you that they're trans, you can just say "No you're not!!" and the universal laws of Facts and Logic will remind them that they're actually cis and the whole thing will blow over.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Well you see, it would be Wrong for my child, which is my property, to do or say things I don’t like.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
If you ask conservatives for a definition of woke, they will probably it has something to do with caring about civil rights. That was Desantis's lawyer's definition anyway.

That is completely wrong. To a conservative, the definition of woke is "Something I don't like."

A number of conservatives have derided climate change initiatives as "woke". The only way this squares is if woke just means "I don't like it."

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Nebrilos posted:

If you ask conservatives for a definition of woke, they will probably it has something to do with caring about civil rights. That was Desantis's lawyer's definition anyway.

That is completely wrong. To a conservative, the definition of woke is "Something I don't like."

A number of conservatives have derided climate change initiatives as "woke". The only way this squares is if woke just means "I don't like it."
For a bunch of people who interchangeably use a shitload of words meaning "thing I don't like", it sure is weird that they don't often realize they interchangeably use a shitload of words meaning "thing I don't like" and will in fact get mad about it being pointed out by someone knowing the actual formal definitions of all of them. Same people who can be told the actual deeper reasons for their beliefs to their face, to the point where I can tell them how they're going to react before they do it, and not learn a loving thing though so not surprising.

Remember when commie Nazis was a good Simpsons joke because it was common sense you couldn't be both? Yeah I miss that

Edit: it's so predictable I've mostly stopped doing that because I can have the conversation in my own head now
"You're going to try to deflect by changing the topic the exact moment you feel like you can't answer something instead of being wrong, refute all evidence by claiming all sources you don't like are biased, and believe political convenience to you and the absolute truth are perfectly identical because you've learned these dumb tactics work from your dear leader who's shaped how you think and you can never be wrong about a single thing, ever if you just never say those specific words"
"No I won't and no I don't"
*bullshit blown through in 0.3 seconds because it's not an even match when they don't know how to think*
*they do that*
"You did that"
*mad enough to be beyond caring at that point*

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 6, 2024

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebrilos posted:

That is absolutely what it boils down to. The 'second level' definition would be what all conservatives fundamentally don't like - people questioning or challenging social norms.

The Daily Mail published a rant about 'woke builders' because modern British builders don't start every day with a fried breakfast and listen to history podcasts in their van.

This is 'woke' because, to DM readers, builders are supposed to be stocky, thumb-headed white blokes with Estuary accents who eat 'proper grub' (none of that green or veggie nonsense), listen to TalkSport on the radio and read The Sun in-between whistling at women from their scaffolding.

If they're suddenly having granola and protein smoothies for breakfast, listening to history podcasts (which might contain subversive lessons like 'Britain did a lot of lovely things in the past') and not leering at sixth-formers then they're not fulfilling their expected roles and stereotypes and that sort of thing makes DM readers uncomfortable, so they Don't Like It so it's Woke.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It also ignores that pop history is one of the most stereotypical trade interests, if only for pub quizzes and "hey did you know that during the Korean War..." factlets.

The Mail is just mad that due to increasing diversity and representation in academia and media access there's a lot more pop history books and new media that are about things like the Caribbean plantations or the Scramble for Africa that come to conclusions other than "white people good and built railways and civilization" rather than a constant stream of "rah rah war is cool check out this big plane please don't look into which side the Daily Mail supported" Boy's Own history that's more on their level.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

BalloonFish posted:

The Daily Mail published a rant about 'woke builders' because modern British builders don't start every day with a fried breakfast and listen to history podcasts in their van.

Oh god, I remember that article. It's worse than I remember.

A not quite complete list of their grievances:

* 75% of builders mentioned discussing their emotions with colleagues.
* Only 53% of builders love sports.
* A third of builders is vegetarian, or eats meat less than twice a week.
* One in ten builders does some yoga or pilates to starts the day, or practises meditation.
* 75% reported enjoying reading, favouring history, autobiography and novels. Only 20% reads the sports pages.
* Only 40% of builders drive a white van.

So the article literally boils down to 'Taking care of your physical, mental and emotional health is woke!'

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
On Twitter there was a recent remark or poll about how women would rather be alone with a bear than a strange man, and guys got super defensive. Most of the replies were some variation of this:

It's amazing how many men went out of their way to end up proving these women correct.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought the 'choose the bear' thing was a bit problematic because a lot of the rhetoric sounded exactly like 'stop the boats' with the racism hastily filed off.

Especially as it came around at the same time as the UK local elections, where every rear end in a top hat party was going on about 'unaccompanied fighting age men' and 'we have no idea who these people are' and 'rape increases around migrant hotels' and not one of them was talking about better laws against misogyny and gender based violence, it was all about removing human rights from the most vulnerable and deporting people to Rwanda and that, so it was easy to see some of it through the lens of white feminism/'mumsnet feminism' throwing human rights and due process under the bus out of fear of the Other, even if that's not at all where it started.

But then you get a bunch of guys like that seeing it and going "nope, not nearly blatantly racist enough for me."

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have a definition of woke based on the discussion above. I think this definition never fails.

"Woke" describes anything that reminds me to show a type of respect I don't WANT to.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Skios posted:

Oh god, I remember that article. It's worse than I remember.

A not quite complete list of their grievances:

* 75% of builders mentioned discussing their emotions with colleagues.
* Only 53% of builders love sports.
* A third of builders is vegetarian, or eats meat less than twice a week.
* One in ten builders does some yoga or pilates to starts the day, or practises meditation.
* 75% reported enjoying reading, favouring history, autobiography and novels. Only 20% reads the sports pages.
* Only 40% of builders drive a white van.

So the article literally boils down to 'Taking care of your physical, mental and emotional health is woke!'

Although it also falls under the basic umbrella of "things I don't like", I do think another decent working definition of Woke from a conservative viewpoint is actually pretty close to its original slang meaning - in one word, empathy. In two words, empathy (in dealings with others and their situations) and introspection (when dealing with yourself and your situation).

Both are anathema to the classic Daily Mail/Boomer/conservative mindset, and what they call 'woke', be it believing that trans people should have rights, listening to people being victimised by some government policy, preferring to work from home because it's better for your mental health, revaluating why a particular statue to a particular Victorian is in the middle of your town square, starting to use a bike to get around rather than a car or talking about emotions with colleagues are all 'Woke'. At varying levels they show that the person/people are considering others and critiquing their own beliefs and behaviours, rather than just lizard-braining their way through life rapaciously acquiring wealth and basking in certainty that they and everything they believe in is right.

Builders talking about their emotions, only eating meat twice a week and doing yoga means that they're changing their way of life and not buying into all the stereotype masculinity working class BS of their predecessors.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Guavanaut posted:

I thought the 'choose the bear' thing was a bit problematic because a lot of the rhetoric sounded exactly like 'stop the boats' with the racism hastily filed off.

Especially as it came around at the same time as the UK local elections, where every rear end in a top hat party was going on about 'unaccompanied fighting age men' and 'we have no idea who these people are' and 'rape increases around migrant hotels' and not one of them was talking about better laws against misogyny and gender based violence, it was all about removing human rights from the most vulnerable and deporting people to Rwanda and that, so it was easy to see some of it through the lens of white feminism/'mumsnet feminism' throwing human rights and due process under the bus out of fear of the Other, even if that's not at all where it started.

But then you get a bunch of guys like that seeing it and going "nope, not nearly blatantly racist enough for me."
I had genuinely thought it was about women's perception of safety that had been appropriated by misogynists to reinforce their belief that women have bad judgement and can't be trusted to make their decisions or have agency. Wasn't aware of the other stuff since I thought they stuck with the whole 'would you risk eating this bowl of m&ms if three random pieces were gonna suicide bomb you' allegory.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
British reactionary discourse of the last 4 years has either been transphobic gibberish about men being allowed in school toilets, or anti-migrant nonsense about "thousands of fighting age unaccompanied men arrive every day in small boats and the coastguard/lifeboats/woke councils gives them all a free hotel to form grooming gangs in."

And the bear thing just happened to come at the same time as the London mayoral election between Sadiq Khan, a Muslim centrist, and Susan Hall, a racist conspiracy theorist, so the bear didn't stand a chance of not being turned into some garbage.

e: From looking up the original it was more about women saying "at least I'd be believed if I said a bear attacked me" or "at least the bear wouldn't spend years calling me a liar" and yeah, that's not even about bears, it's about male behavior, and a bunch of NotAllMen just completely missed that and got mad. Then a bunch of "real human female JKRowlingFan BinSadiq" people just turned it to poo poo.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 6, 2024

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I thought the person/bear question was "if you were out in the middle of the woods, would you be more scared if you saw a bear, or a random man?" because while seeing a bear is scary, at least it's "supposed" to be out in the woods.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I found what claims to be the originator of it going viral, and it wasn't even a would you rather, or a whatabout, or a feminism thing, it was a guy trying to get other men to empathize a tiny bit with women.
https://twitter.com/Urtoez75_2/status/1785734459800576103

Which went about as well as you'd expect on the internet, a bunch of incels came to the conclusion that the assignment was "explain why women are wrong, and stupid."

That's when women started listing their reasons as "at least I'd be believed if I said a bear attacked me" to men doing the "I've spent far more time doing statistics than it would have taken me just to empathize and move on, and here's why you're wrong" or mansplaining to women who live in bear country.

And then it started turning up in the UK as "I'd rather see a bear than an unknown fighting age male" thing, which could just be women fed up of a thousand whatabout "but what if it was your child? but what if it was your gay best friend? but what if it was a search and rescue team?" but also hit on the exact dogwhistles used to portray small boat refugees as dangerous rapists, so given the timing I'm skeptical. (Also a small bunch of boneheaded fascists dropped the mask and just started saying "you pick bear over man but say refugees welcome, hmm")

And then the TERFs, with their supernatural ability to turn ever debate into complete dogshit, found out about it and started posting about "I'd rather see a bear in the bathroom than men in dresses" because everything has to fit their single issue.

Yet another thing ruined by incels, terf island, and the internet.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Medullah posted:

DnD satanism panic in the 80s? Maybe grouped together with related MTG panic. They haven't even made a movie about furries yet.

Feels like there's always some new moral panic about what kids are supposedly doing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

It also ignores that pop history is one of the most stereotypical trade interests, if only for pub quizzes and "hey did you know that during the Korean War..." factlets.

The Mail is just mad that due to increasing diversity and representation in academia and media access there's a lot more pop history books and new media that are about things like the Caribbean plantations or the Scramble for Africa that come to conclusions other than "white people good and built railways and civilization" rather than a constant stream of "rah rah war is cool check out this big plane please don't look into which side the Daily Mail supported" Boy's Own history that's more on their level.

This.

I'm pretty old and all I remember learning in history was almost 100% white males accomplishing great things.

PerniciousKnid posted:

DnD satanism panic in the 80s? Maybe grouped together with related MTG panic. They haven't even made a movie about furries yet.

Feels like there's always some new moral panic about what kids are supposedly doing.

Somewhat related: backwards masking on heavy metal albums.

Also "rainbow parties", jenkam, widespread election fraud

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 7, 2024

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm pretty old and all I remember learning in history was almost 100% white males accomplishing great things.

I'm on the younger side (of people who continue to post on this gay dead comedy forum) and even I was pretty much explicitly taught that Manifest Destiny was a morally good thing. Even in our AP History textbook it was described more as a motivating factor that united the people of the US under one banner, rather than a resource-hungry imperialist expansion across an entire already-inhabited continent.

PerniciousKnid posted:

They haven't even made a movie about furries yet.

They did it was called Zootopia

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

They did it was called Zootopia

I was going to say Cats (2019).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ooh my uncle shifted slightly from his daily "God is amazing here's a picture of Jesus done from AI #JenniferLawrence" posts.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It's always projection

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Medullah posted:

Ooh my uncle shifted slightly from his daily "God is amazing here's a picture of Jesus done from AI #JenniferLawrence" posts.
I’m kinda surprised those AI Jesus pics are showing up in the wild, unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cat botherer posted:

I’m kinda surprised those AI Jesus pics are showing up in the wild, unironically.

Got a new one just today in fact!

Medullah fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 7, 2024