Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I'm not sure if the AP edited the article after the tweet for additional breaking news or the tweet just made an odd choice in leaving out the other half of the lede, not that the evacuation order isn't important.

quote:

JERUSALEM (AP) — Hamas announced Monday it has accepted an Egyptian-Qatari proposal for a cease-fire to halt the seven-month-long war with Israel in Gaza, hours after Israel ordered about 100,000 Palestinians to begin evacuating from the southern city of Rafah, signaling that a long-promised ground invasion there could be imminent.

There was no immediate comment from Israel on the deal, and details of the proposal have not yet been released. In recent days, Egyptian and Hamas officials have said the cease-fire would take place in a series of stages during which Hamas would release hostages it is holding in exchange for Israeli troop pullbacks from Gaza.

It is not clear whether the deal will meet Hamas’ key demand of bringing about an end to the war and complete Israeli withdrawal.

Hamas said in a statement its top leader, Ismail Haniyeh, had delivered the news in a phone call with Qatar’s prime minister and Egypt’s intelligence minister. After the release of the statement, Palestinians erupted in cheers in the sprawling tent camps around Rafah, hoping the deal meant an Israeli attack had been averted.

Lt. Col. Nadav Shoshani, an army spokesman, said about 100,000 people were being ordered to move from parts of Rafah to a nearby Israel-declared humanitarian zone called Muwasi, a makeshift camp on the coast. He said that Israel has expanded the size of the zone and that it included tents, food, water and field hospitals.

It wasn’t immediately clear, however, if that material was already in place to accommodate the new arrivals.

Around 450,000 displaced Palestinians already are sheltering in Muwasi. The U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees, known as UNRWA, said it has been providing them with aid. But conditions are squalid, with few bathrooms or sanitation facilities in the largely rural area, forcing families to dig private latrines.

e: scooped by piell while reading, rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Channel 12 is saying Israel rejects the ceasefire

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

E2M2 posted:

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1787537523180544493

I don't think I can ever read a comic book again and scoff at the bad guys acting too cartoonishly evil for me to take seriously.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

E2M2 posted:

Wasn't the deal written up by Israel to begin with? I remember Blinken called it Israel's 'generous offer'. Just absolutely unhinged diplomacy.

E: looks like Hamas accepted the offer from Egypt that Israel hasn't even considered yet and is very likely to decline.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 6, 2024

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
Hearing what Israelis say is profoundly disturbing. I don't understand why they are so evil and messed up.

It is the height of hubris and solipsism to say that "rules against genocide don't apply to me and are offensive to invoke because the people I am murdering really *are* cockroaches and that none of them is innocent, even the fetuses." Literally every perpetrator says that.
Recognizing the inherent worth and dignity of every human being is essential and non-negotiable.

VitalSigns posted:

Another thing is that there is a gradient of possible actions that support Israel, it's not a binary choice between unlimited lethal aid commitment or shouting "from the river to the sea" at the State of the Union address.

Does he have to cosign every single horrible atrocity that's infuriating Muslim Democrats in order to hang on to any Zionist votes? Does he have to cheer on the beatings and gassing of young people or he loses every single Zionist vote? Probably not, right. He could probably keep most Zionist votes by making lethal aid contingent on red lines against the worst atrocities, and pick up some pro-Palestinian votes. He could probably protect Americans' constitutional rights instead of justifying beating teens for protesting his actions, even if he ignored what they had to say, and still be fine with all but the most rabid Zionists. So even from a maximizing votes perspective, fully backing the destruction of hospitals, machine-gunning of breadlines, and carpet bombing refugee camps while cracking the skulls of the youth vote at home does not seem like the optimal course.

TLDR: it may be true that Biden has to side with Israel to maximize his votes. It is probably not true that he has to go as far in that support as he has. It's likely his extremism has gone far enough to start hurting him.

He just doesn't care about winning as much as he does about killing Palestinians.

Irrespective of the electoral horserace, he needs to stop this because it is not only morally wrong but the crime of crimes. It is a stain on the soul of America.

Zoeb fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 6, 2024

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zoeb posted:

Irrespective of the electoral horserace, he needs to stop this because it is not only morally wrong but the crime of crimes. It is a stain on the soul of America.

Well yeah, but politics-brained libs don't have morals, the only way they can conceive of something like right or wrong is will it help my team win or lose. You have to talk to them like some kind of Sci Fi alien or artificial intelligence with no concept of human ethics, like Kirk convincing an evil computer its methods are self-defeating.

Neurolimal posted:

At least outside rightwingers, I don't think anyone believes Trump is pro-peace, rather they believe that he's the most incompetent option, which is good if you prefer America's warfare & lawfare machines inoperable.

I tend to agree with this view, I just don't think he's so incompetent or apathetic or narcissistic or whatever that it will really make that much of a difference. I doubt U.S. policy to Israel will change that much no matter who is in charge.

maruhkati posted:

It is quite likely that if the President shifted his stance on the ongoing genocide, the polling among Democrats (including Jewish ones) would shift toward "stopping it is the right thing to do," because that is how party polarization works in the year 2024.

Yes. Other examples of this are the Border Wall and Kids In Cages. Hard-nosed political realism under Obama, unconscionable cruelty under Trump, back to pragmatic politics when Biden does it. I think a lot of support for Israel would fall away if Democratic politicians stopped supporting Israel, because it would no longer be the party line.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zoeb posted:

It is the height of hubris and solipsism to say that "rules against genocide don't apply to me and are offensive to invoke because the people I am murdering really *are* cockroaches and that none of them is innocent, even the fetuses." Literally every perpetrator says that.
Some of them actually have the wherewithal not to say that, but it seems that Israel is so accustomed to unstinting US support that Zionists really don't know how they come across.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders

Halloween Jack posted:

Some of them actually have the wherewithal not to say that, but it seems that Israel is so accustomed to unstinting US support that Zionists really don't know how they come across.

They say it to each other, when they are on TV in Israel speaking in Hebrew to a Hebrew speaking audience. Unfortunately for them, the internet doesn't care about national borders or media markets and folks on TikTok and Twitter find these translated clips regardless. I also see people defending Israel say it and folks with family in Israel reporting that their "liberal zionist" relatives say it even when they are progressive on other issues. I believe that the soul of Israelis is corrupted, stained. I think there is something very wrong with their hearts to believe such vile nonsense that was used against them. Their public has lost their capacity for empathy, for seeing these others as part of the same people, the human people.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I mean what do you expect from a country built on settler colonialism and propaganda from early age, and reinforced with forced conscription where they bully children and old people crossing artificial borders and help illegal settlers steal more land.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The single most openly, enthusiastically genocidal poo poo i've ever heard someone say out loud was after services in a [very progressive, reform] temple when the subject of Palestinians came up. The idea that palestinians need to just be exterminated has been lurking around for a long time.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I’ve been seeing a cartoon titled “cleanse the earth” that’s just a hand dropping the Palestinian flag into a trash can a lot lately. They’re yelling the quiet part into a megaphone at this point.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Zoeb posted:

Hearing what Israelis say is profoundly disturbing. I don't understand why they are so evil and messed up.

Being brought up in an ethnostate where you're constantly told that you're always under the threat of violence from a scary other, combined with a dollop of religious fundamentalism around the idea of a land that was gifted to your people by God, meaning your side's religious nutters are constantly butting up against that other, trying to take their land, & a collective memory of 2,000 years of antisemitism on top of all that. It's almost surprising there's as many dissidents in Israel as there are. You might not be thrown in prison like in a totalitarian state, but you'll face all manner of social pressures from friends & family & employers. It takes incredibly brave independent thinkers to go against all that to just see that the Emperor has no clothes on.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

12 years a lurker posted:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't read the article rather than actually thinking shouting "F*** the Jews" and assaulting jewish students isn't antisemitic:

Hmm yes the extremely online phrase "*, my beloved", totally a normal thing that people say out in the real world. :thunk:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Zoeb posted:

The ideology from the onset was always willing to “go it alone”, and assumed that every other country might (including the US ) eventually persecute them.

The impulse to protect the group is the way one can get the people in the group to be violent against people outside of the group. It can be used to justify any level of violence.

It’s hosed for the same reasons the 14 words racists are hosed up. It’s hosed up for the same reason the justification Russia used to invade Ukraine is hosed up “while the North Atlantic alliance continued to expand despite our protests and concerns. Its military machine is moving and, as I said, is approaching our very border.”

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The ideology from the onset was always willing to “go it alone”, and assumed that every other country might (including the US ) eventually persecute them.

The impulse to protect the group is the way one can get the people in the group to be violent against people outside of the group. It can be used to justify any level of violence.

It’s hosed for the same reasons the 14 words racists are hosed up. It’s hosed up for the same reason the justification Russia used to invade Ukraine is hosed up “while the North Atlantic alliance continued to expand despite our protests and concerns. Its military machine is moving and, as I said, is approaching our very border.”

I agree, defensive actions by nation states should have a high bar for what they are actually defending against, if you are launching attacks which will kill civilians.

Unfortunately the trouble is that there is no, and there never will be a, mechanism for fairly regulating these actions of nation states. The idea that the UN could have been this mechanism seems to have failed thus far.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Zoeb posted:

They say it to each other, when they are on TV in Israel speaking in Hebrew to a Hebrew speaking audience. Unfortunately for them, the internet doesn't care about national borders or media markets and folks on TikTok and Twitter find these translated clips regardless. I also see people defending Israel say it and folks with family in Israel reporting that their "liberal zionist" relatives say it even when they are progressive on other issues. I believe that the soul of Israelis is corrupted, stained. I think there is something very wrong with their hearts to believe such vile nonsense that was used against them. Their public has lost their capacity for empathy, for seeing these others as part of the same people, the human people.

I think it's dangerous to attribute an exceptional level of evilness to the Israeli people, there seems to be an endless capacity for the polity to be whipped up against an existential agonist all over the world. I don't mean that as an excuse to distract from what Israel has done in the occupied territories since 1948 and even beforehand, it just seems reductive and thought terminating to write the whole society off as monsters when, in a world where the entire Israel/Palestine conflict is amicably resolved in the near future, 99% of those people are going to be living in the combined territory. It's not like the populace at large is going to be forcibly "reeducated" or "de-nazified" or whatever either even to the extent that Nazi Germany was, since there very likely will not be an occupying force to impose such things.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
yeah, if we learned anything from the shoah on this day of remembrance, it's about the banality of evil and how any society is capable of committing atrocities with the right ingredients.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Moktaro posted:

Hmm yes the extremely online phrase "*, my beloved", totally a normal thing that people say out in the real world. :thunk:

It was in Arabic. Ya Hamas, ya habib, odrob, odrob Tel Aviv. It rhymes.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Never Say Never Again

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

forkboy84 posted:

Being brought up in an ethnostate where you're constantly told that you're always under the threat of violence from a scary other, combined with a dollop of religious fundamentalism around the idea of a land that was gifted to your people by God, meaning your side's religious nutters are constantly butting up against that other, trying to take their land, & a collective memory of 2,000 years of antisemitism on top of all that. It's almost surprising there's as many dissidents in Israel as there are. You might not be thrown in prison like in a totalitarian state, but you'll face all manner of social pressures from friends & family & employers. It takes incredibly brave independent thinkers to go against all that to just see that the Emperor has no clothes on.

I mean how do you even reason with that?? Every conversation I had results in them crying about the horrors of mean old me being antisemitic for telling them to stop or veiled threats against my reputation. They are just beyond words or reason. It's like talking to the Westboro Baptist Church or TERFs. It's like a cult they are so indoctrinated. It's the same histrionics about God or protecting women from mean old trans people/Hamas

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

This is just unfair. Israel isn’t just under some perceived threat that they invented out of thin air, they’re literally constantly under threat of terror attacks. In 2021 at the peak of Covid, Hamas launched 3,600 rockets at Israeli civilians. If you don’t think that having hundreds of Israelis killed or wounded over the last 20 years doesn’t affect the psyche of the average Israeli then it’s not worth debating anymore.

I think what’s happening in Gaza is reprehensible, I think Netanyahu is a criminal and I think what’s happening now is the safety of Jews around the world being exchanged for the safety of Jews in Israel.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

kronix posted:

This is just unfair. Israel isn’t just under some perceived threat that they invented out of thin air, they’re literally constantly under threat of terror attacks. In 2021 at the peak of Covid, Hamas launched 3,600 rockets at Israeli civilians. If you don’t think that having hundreds of Israelis killed or wounded over the last 20 years doesn’t affect the psyche of the average Israeli then it’s not worth debating anymore.

This is all true - Israelis live in genuinely much more exposure danger than the average first-worlder, even ignoring that they are basically all war veterans, and this is one factor in why Israeli culture has, I don't know what else to call it, so much crazy violent nationalism/racism. People will point out that all this is much more true of your average Palestinian, and they're correct - it's why a lot Palesthinians also don't talk about this conflict like polite civilian-concerned one-state-solution first-worlders.

quote:

I think what’s happening in Gaza is reprehensible, I think Netanyahu is a criminal and I think what’s happening now is the safety of Jews around the world being exchanged for the safety of Jews in Israel.

Are Jews around the world in significantly greater danger today than September 2023?

If all it took for Jews to lose our safety is Jews somewhere else doing hosed up poo poo, then obviously violent antisemitism is so inherent to non-Jewish society that Zionism is correct: Jews can't live safely in liberal democracies, we do need our own state.

But while I know of Palestinians throughout the US who have been stabbed and shot at, I don't know of any violent incidents directed toward the actual safety of a Jew in the diaspora. An abandoned synagogue was burnt to the ground in Tunisia, some people who really do hate Jews have opportunistically joined protests in the US, and there seems to have been a real uptick in graffiti against Jewish institutions. All of this is bad, but none of it suggests that "the safety of Jews around the world being exchanged [away]."

Comparatively, after Kanye West went "'death con 3 on JEWISH PEOPLE", a random crazy guy did commit an antisemitic beating in Central Park. So so far it seems that Kanye's mental breakdown may have been more dangerous to the physical safety of diaspora Jews than this entire war.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 7, 2024

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

kronix posted:

Let's check Israel's numbers for October 2022 through September 2023, the year leading up to the festival attack: 47 deaths, 146 injured. 193 total victims. So 2 per 100000 Israelis. Those are from 2339 "terrorist attacks". The overwhelming majority of "attacks" that Israel claims are victimless. They're vandalism and other non-violent acts of protest.

e: Also important to note is that Israel considers ALL attacks on its armed forced to be terrorist actions, not just attacks on civilians. For example in December 2023 of the 26 listed injuries (there were no fatalities in the detailed list) only 3 were civilians. This boils down to a couple dozen Israeli civilians being harmed during an average year. Israel's fascist culture has little to do with the actual harm from Palestinian resistance.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 7, 2024

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

kronix posted:

In 2021 at the peak of Covid, Hamas launched 3,600 rockets at Israeli civilians.

Now please tell me how many of these rockets were safely intercepted, seeing how most of them was basically steel pipes with some explosives inside and Israel has state of the art anti-rocket shield.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

fool of sound posted:

Let's check Israel's numbers for October 2022 through September 2023, the year leading up to the festival attack: 47 deaths, 146 injured. 193 total victims. So 2 per 100000 Israelis.

That's about twice as much as Americans who died in 9/11 (a little under 3000 out of a little under 300 million) and most of us remember how much that attack warped Americans culture and enflamed horribly racist, genocidal rhetoric.

This is not an apology or an excuse. Obviously Israel's fascism is not a rational reaction to the probability that an Israeli civilian is killed by a Palestinian. It is in fact the insane policies of the Israeli state which predictably result in terrorism by producing so many furious, humiliated people with an obvious cause to die for and very little to live for.

If we are trying to understand why Israel is so hosed up, one factor is that for as long as the state has existed, there's been a constant flow of reports reading "MORE PEOPLE WHO LIVE LIKE YOU KILLED FOR DOING SO." And there is a historical basis from which to infer that this is a problem literally thousands of years old that will never go away. This is an excellent environment for fascism to breed.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

That's about twice as much as Americans who died in 9/11 (a little under 3000 out of a little under 300 million) and most of us remember how much that attack warped Americans culture and enflamed horribly racist, genocidal rhetoric.

If we are trying to understand why Israel is so hosed up, one factor is that for as long as the state has existed, there's been a constant flow of reports reading "MORE PEOPLE WHO LIVE LIKE YOU KILLED FOR DOING SO." And there is a historical basis from which to infer that this is a problem literally thousands of years old that will never go away. This is an excellent environment for fascism to breed.

My point is that those reports are (for the most part, big devastating attacks like Oct 7 are an exception) are a product of a fascist culture and fascist national media looking for fear and anger to latch onto, rather than a reaction to actual harm.

Also, 9/11 was overwhelmingly civilian while the Israeli victims are overwhelmingly soldiers. I don't think that distinction means much to Israel (if anything they clearly give way more of a poo poo about their soldiers than their civilians), but it's important to note when discussing if the things Israel calls terrorism are actually terrorism.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zoeb posted:

bad news, it's all stain

israel's very foundation is rooted in fascism

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1787475160129306767

Ok yeah, if Biden lets himself get outflanked by fuckin Starmer he's done.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Current pier news.

Floating off shore platform is built. They putting together the causeway. Weather has slowed them down. I’ve seen two separated notices work has to stop due to wind and swells.

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3766319/dod-continues-work-on-temporary-pier-for-gaza-after-high-seas-force-move/

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Macklemore posted a video music about Palestine, with all proceeds going to Palestine. https://www.instagram.com/p/C6o4830yMvE/

Biden seems 100% oblivious to the number of voters he is losing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I always find it pretty ridiculous to adjust Israeli casualties proportionally like this. Israeli lives arent somehow more valuable just because they are a small country.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So to get an idea of the difficulty of assembling something like this.

When people get into deep sea submersibles and goto the bottom of the ocean that’s a relatively dangerous thing to do. The most dangerous part of doing that… is getting the submersible off the ship and into the water or from the water onto to the ship.

That dangerous part, a discharge by a ships crane into the water and then detaching the pontoon from the lifting gear. They’ve basically been doing it over and over again since the construction started. My guesstimate is that there is a probably three days left based on the weather delays. It could end up being a bit longer as they had to move it because of the weather and then will have to move it back.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

I always find it pretty ridiculous to adjust Israeli casualties proportionally like this. Israeli lives arent somehow more valuable just because they are a small country.

Yeah, "more valuable" is stupid, but it's not what I said. I wasn't making any kind of value judgement about whose lives are valuable. I have no idea why you ascribed that offensive idea to me.

When you're in a small society, whether it's a town or a country, local events don't have to be very big to have a big impact on how people think and live.

Maybe a more foolproof way to describe it is this: far fewer civilians died on Oct 7 2023 than September 11 2001. But the average 2024-Isrseli is much more likely to know someone who died on Oct 7 than your average 2002-American is to know someone who died on Sep 11. Greater proximity (in geography, cultural identity, social networks etc) to the victims of a terrorist attack makes the attack more terrorizing, and makes it easier for demagogues to exploit that terror.

And again you can extend this to Gaza where the scale of slaughter is so nauseating that I can't imagine there's a single Palestinian who doesn't know someone who died in this nightmare war. Horrifying

Portion of Americans killed on 9/11: 0.001% (3000 in 285 million)
Portion of Israelis killed on 10/7: 0.011% (1150 in 9.55 million)
Portion of Palestinians in Gaza killed in this war: 1.75% (35,000 in 2 million)

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 7, 2024

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Celexi posted:

Biden seems 100% oblivious to the number of voters he is losing.
only time will tell whether he's really that demented or if he already knows he's been scheduled to lose the election and is filling his pockets while he can

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Yeah, "more valuable" is stupid, but it's not what I said. I wasn't making any kind of value judgement about whose lives are valuable. I have no idea why you ascribed that offensive idea to me.

When you're in a small society, whether it's a town or a country, local events don't have to be very big to have a big impact on how people think and live.

Maybe a more foolproof way to describe it is this: far fewer civilians died on Oct 7 2023 than September 11 2001. But the average 2024-Isrseli is much more likely to know someone who died on Oct 7 than your average 2002-American is to know someone who died on Sep 11. Greater proximity (in geography, cultural identity, social networks etc) to the victims of a terrorist attack makes the attack more terrorizing, and makes it easier for demagogues to exploit that terror.

And again you can extend this to Gaza where the scale of slaughter is so nauseating that I can't imagine there's a single Palestinian who doesn't know someone who died in this nightmare war. Horrifying

Portion of Americans killed on 9/11: 0.001% (3000 in 285 million)
Portion of Israelis killed on 10/7: 0.011% (1150 in 9.55 million)
Portion of Palestinians in Gaza killed in this war: 1.75% (35,000 in 2 million)

I can't quite grasp this weird need to calculate atrocities, and it doesn't get to the root of what is actually going on.
It could have been half as much or half as few, but the response would still have been the same because the response comes from the culture and not the numbers.
Israel needs to be shown as the tough state that can protect all Jews who wish to live in its borders, and its disproportionate violence is merely that veil being torn to shreds and them desperately trying to piece it back together.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 7, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Majorian posted:

You asked for an example of "a particular demographic that deeply cares about I/P that could significantly influence the election." I gave you one. The fact that there are other demographics in Biden's coalition that may desert him (young voters especially) kind of proves my point: he can't take strategically vital segments of his coalition for granted.

I have not encountered a single article, documentary or report positioning Muslim American voters as a significant demographic in the same manner as Latino or Black women voters, who receive tons of attention from groups like the Koch network and Stacey Abrams' organization in Georgia. Almost always, national elections pivot on domestic or economic issues rather than foreign policy concerns, unless a crisis becomes highly visible or impactful. I could see the situation in Rafa gaining prominence if it deteriorates further and dominates morning news, which is a primary source for suburban women—a key voter demographic. Or their kids start getting drafted and hurt.

Neglecting Muslim American in a crucial swing state might be a significant oversight for Biden but I don't see how they are a significant, decisive or critical voting bloc at the national level. There is only a small concentration in a few states, voting is highly variable, the diverse nature of their political views in general and an election still months away. Focusing heavily on this group too might overlook the influence of other significant demographics, such as Jewish-American voters, who also have substantial presence in key swing states and outnumber Arab-Americans. Other issues just generally have more resonance with more active voter groups and this is indirect conflict overseas supporting an ally in region known for violence. Yes, I know about the USS liberty but perception is reality.

I mean sure you are right that Michigan might shift, which is I think is still highly unlikely, it's just that suggesting Muslim American are key to national outcomes due to the Israel/Palestine conflict simply because there is a small number in a swing state greatly overstates their influence in my view but I've been wrong before too. Hell, even Young Voters tend to almost always prioritize other issues but I've been wrong before too.

Edit - If you have anything that shows otherwise, and data driven like this article, I'd be more than happy to read it.

Majorian posted:

So I turn your question around to you: what demographics is Biden hoping to win over (or, if they are already part of his coalition, secure) with his hardline pro-Zionism stance? Are there enough undecided Zionist voters who will only vote for him if he continues this hardline stance? What is the domestic political calculus at work here? Or is it just an insane ideological commitment to Zionism that's guiding Biden during this mass slaughter?

Biden's doing the same thing Trump is doing. Trying to hit key demographics which off the top of my head are White Suburban Women in places like Ohio. Or Working Class Latinos in Florida.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 7, 2024

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

kronix posted:

I just strolled over to Wikipedia to check whether more Palestinians were killed and wounded than Israelis in 2021, at the peak of COVID, and to my absolute dick-shattering shock,

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Seems more like they're under constant threat of resistance to the genocide they've been engaging in for years? I think the knowledge that you're part of a system that's doing something like that, and the dissonance created when you must dehumanize people who live so close to you, tends to make you a mean and hollow person. You see it with a lot of the white people who fled Rhodesia. If your worst instincts get constantly reinforced and enabled towards people, it makes you deeply nasty at your core.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gucci Loafers posted:

I mean sure you are right that Michigan might shift, which is I think is still highly unlikely, it's just that suggesting Muslim American are key to national outcomes due to the Israel/Palestine conflict simply because there is a small number in a swing state greatly overstates their influence in my view but I've been wrong before too. Hell, even Young Voters tend to almost always prioritize other issues but I've been wrong before too.

If Michigan is a necessary state for Biden to win (it probably will be), then driving down Muslim turnout for him is a bad idea. There's really no two ways about it. While I understand that widely being perceived as an anti-Zionist would also hurt his chances of being reelected, I don't buy that he had to go as all-in on the "Israel can do no wrong!" platform as he has. He could have taken a more equivocating, triangulating path, and probably wouldn't have lost nearly as many voters as he presently stands to lose. But he didn't. He went full-Zionist.

I think that was a particularly short-sighted decision on his part because now he can't back down an inch without looking like he's betraying Israel, from Zionists' perspective. My overall point is, Biden's handling of this crisis has been a textbook case of electoral malpractice. He's shot himself in the foot unnecessarily. He may still win in November, but it will be in spite of his mishandling of Israel, not because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Majorian posted:

If Michigan is a necessary state for Biden to win (it probably will be), then driving down Muslim turnout for him is a bad idea. There's really no two ways about it. While I understand that widely being perceived as an anti-Zionist would also hurt his chances of being reelected, I don't buy that he had to go as all-in on the "Israel can do no wrong!" platform as he has. He could have taken a more equivocating, triangulating path, and probably wouldn't have lost nearly as many voters as he presently stands to lose. But he didn't. He went full-Zionist.

Yea, it's not a voting bloc I'd want to piss off even if they are small in number but they just aren't really that important in the current scheme of things.

Majorian posted:

I think that was a particularly short-sighted decision on his part because now he can't back down an inch without looking like he's betraying Israel, from Zionists' perspective. My overall point is, Biden's handling of this crisis has been a textbook case of electoral malpractice. He's shot himself in the foot unnecessarily. He may still win in November, but it will be in spite of his mishandling of Israel, not because of it.

Maybe, as I see it Biden is playing this carefully as with the ceasing with the earlier Weapons shipment. That way if Rafa goes the wrong he can claim his hands were clean and it was all Netanyahu.