Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That is rad. Also I guess it's noise friday because the sunvox person put out a new app and I had fun with it over lunch. It's clearly derivative of the other randomly generated sound clips app they've put out, but loops them to generate weird rhythms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4h-G6PiJA8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I have a ryzen and while vcv never really gives me problems, it barely runs pigments and chugs like crazy on bitwig polygrid

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm sure it depends on the Ryzen, on a high end desktop Ryzen all this works fine (5900x)

VCVRack forum says:

quote:

We have a thousand performance threads in here, so I advice searching. Bottomline: Rack really cares only about two things:

A decent, not top-notch, GPU/graphics card. That means no built-in graphics (except for Apple M1 machines) but a discrete/seperate GPU, like it says in the manual 6.
Single-core performance (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html) of the CPU.
That’s it. But if you also care about heat and noise then, yeah, it takes good cooling, or very efficient CPU’s (see: Apple M1), which means: Desktop is better than laptop, gaming-laptop is better than regular laptop, Apple M1 laptop is better than all.

How hell bent are you on a laptop vs a desktop?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cabbages and VHS posted:

I'm sure it depends on the Ryzen, on a high end desktop Ryzen all this works fine (5900x)

VCVRack forum says:

How hell bent are you on a laptop vs a desktop?
100 percent. I work away from home for weeks at a time.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I use VCV Rack on a Microsoft Surface and it does fine. Sometimes really big patches get chuggy, and then I realize I need to take some stuff out anyways.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1md-htCkbjQ

Glitch guild this week - "Transform"

I started with a source photo of my dad from 1967 and then took a picture of myself today composed basically the same way, everything else is just fading between the two, glitching out & waveshaping the signals, and a twee bit of oscillation as CV into one of the mixers.

The heavy electronic drone sound is filtered audio of the video patch; the rest of the audio is a Wolf Parade sample in Morphagene.

e: youtube absolutely squashes these 480p sources no matter how huge and uncompressed they are going in :(

insta does a better job

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6jpCLrJVkx/

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 4, 2024

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Somehow I'd never actually read the official product page for Chipz, until I saw someone posting one on Reverb using the text and wanted to see if it was real or a troll.

https://www.cre8audio.com/chipz

quote:

Old people will remember the sound of their Commodore, Atari, and NES systems. We started with the idea that Chipz would be a 3 oscillator synth that takes you to an alternate universe in which your old console isn't for playing video games but is a module in your eurorack compatible system. As we were developing the ultimate chiptune module, our manufacturer’s sourcing department convinced us to do otherwise. So instead of actually making the chiptune module, we just kept the name Chipz and made something all together different with 3 oscillators, well not really.

Our marketing guy (who disapproves of calling you old) wants us to say a whole bunch of other stuff here to make you feel nostalgic, but we're afraid of being sued (and we don’t much care for our marketing person, so were not going to do anything they suggest).

:staredog:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
"im not old! im not old!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I’m more reacting to the admission that the product is explicitly misnamed trash

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

I completely missed that Arturia stopped making the travel bags for the Rackbrutes, are there any other good padded bags which fit the 6U?

overeager overeater fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 6, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm going to ask this both here and in the Home Recording Thread, if that's OK. The Gear Issue at work is coming around again and I've been brewing an idea for another article; I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations for literature I can comb.

It's a piece on the relationship between technology and creative trends in music. Sort of a brief history of recording and mixing technology, addressing advancements in hardware, novel instruments like synthesizers, ideally culminating in (what spurnedspawned the idea in the first place) discussion of digital innovations like OTT compression or very surgical parametric EQs; illustrating how these developments opened doors for new timbres, more precise mixdowns, and unforseen loudness levels (for better or worse). It could be a good way to put the spotlight on some of the software we sell. 

In a stoned effortpost in GBS a while back, I sort of already touched on bits of this - I think that's where I got the idea. Electronic music in particular sounds the way it does now in part because of technical limitations fostering innovation but also because of technical advancements opening doors for producers and artists. Does that make sense?

Anyway yeah, I hope this doesn't sound like I'm asking for anyone to do my research for me, but if anyone has any recommendations for books or articles that touch on this topic - even tidbits about music history in the making, like the first artists to use sidechain compression for dramatic effect or the Roland x0x lines birthing entire genres of music (I'm already looking into these), that'd be grand. Thanks! :)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

overeager overeater posted:

I completely missed that Arturia stopped making the travel bags for the Rackbrutes, are there any other good padded bags which fit the 6U?

I spent quite a while looking; I had read the Arturia bag would fit a 6 folded into a 3 or a minibrute, was curious to see if I could fit two 6us in it.

This gator bag is maybe the closest: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRB4--gator-grb-4u-rack-bag

The thing that kept me from pulling the trigger is, it's $150, and now I have 3 different 6/7u84 cases that are proper travel cases with lids and handles and poo poo, so the rackbrutes have become the home rack. If you get it, curious to hear how it goes. If you find something else that works that's not over a hundred UZ Dolalts, even more innerest

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

This touches on the early days and is a good read

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cabbages and VHS posted:

I spent quite a while looking; I had read the Arturia bag would fit a 6 folded into a 3 or a minibrute, was curious to see if I could fit two 6us in it.

This gator bag is maybe the closest: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRB4--gator-grb-4u-rack-bag

The thing that kept me from pulling the trigger is, it's $150, and now I have 3 different 6/7u84 cases that are proper travel cases with lids and handles and poo poo, so the rackbrutes have become the home rack. If you get it, curious to hear how it goes. If you find something else that works that's not over a hundred UZ Dolalts, even more innerest

one thing to know about that Gator bag is that because it's a rack bag, it's basically a wooden box with rack rails with a padded softcase riveted to the outside. So it's not actually padded on the inside (or at most it has a thin layer of fabric on the inside, I can't really remember for sure) so it's "padded" in the sense that it protects the rack as a whole, but it's not a great option for just carrying things inside it like a normal bag since if the gear isn't racked up, it's just going to slide around and knock against the hard insides of the rack.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm going to ask this both here and in the Home Recording Thread, if that's OK. The Gear Issue at work is coming around again and I've been brewing an idea for another article; I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations for literature I can comb.

It's a piece on the relationship between technology and creative trends in music. Sort of a brief history of recording and mixing technology, addressing advancements in hardware, novel instruments like synthesizers, ideally culminating in (what spurnedspawned the idea in the first place) discussion of digital innovations like OTT compression or very surgical parametric EQs; illustrating how these developments opened doors for new timbres, more precise mixdowns, and unforseen loudness levels (for better or worse). It could be a good way to put the spotlight on some of the software we sell. 

In a stoned effortpost in GBS a while back, I sort of already touched on bits of this - I think that's where I got the idea. Electronic music in particular sounds the way it does now in part because of technical limitations fostering innovation but also because of technical advancements opening doors for producers and artists. Does that make sense?

Anyway yeah, I hope this doesn't sound like I'm asking for anyone to do my research for me, but if anyone has any recommendations for books or articles that touch on this topic - even tidbits about music history in the making, like the first artists to use sidechain compression for dramatic effect or the Roland x0x lines birthing entire genres of music (I'm already looking into these), that'd be grand. Thanks! :)

Link your GBS post! Love reading stuff like this

To me the big thrust is virtualization of studio tech + personal computing hugely democratizing the recording process. The modern version of this is a API channel strip vst vs an API console.

Simon Reynolds' Energy Flash / Generation Ecstasy is great on this for 90s Acid through jungle, if you don't mind reading Simon Reynolds (imo this stuff holds up the best of his work)

more modernly, good digi verb is probably the 2010s version of this. VA synths for the 2000s maybe. And DAWs getting piratable. Idk if this has made it out of academia and into pop lit though.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I have a 6U 104HP Doepfer case and I use this bag which is actually for stage lights but it works well.
https://gatorco.com/product/lighting-tote-bag-g-lightbag-2212/

The top opens up really wide and there's lots of space in there to leave everything patched and can also toss in some additional cables/contollers.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
The Rich Evans???

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mister Speaker posted:

I had a subscription to SoundOnSound for a year and they had a bunch on topics like that. Especially the interviews about how classic tracks/albums were made. Don't remember what that series was called though. I think their older issues can be accessed for free still.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

net work error posted:

I have a 6U 104HP Doepfer case and I use this bag which is actually for stage lights but it works well.
https://gatorco.com/product/lighting-tote-bag-g-lightbag-2212/

The top opens up really wide and there's lots of space in there to leave everything patched and can also toss in some additional cables/contollers.

Thanks, good to know, that hadn't registered. Your link definitely looks like a better option for a single brute; I would be curious to know if it can make this work, since it's very slightly thinner than the Arturia bag was.
The arturia bag would just lug 2 brutes like this.

Flipside, the deeper I get into this the more I am seeing the value in travel cases that can leave stuff patched, as you mentioned, and I've got two portable trog 6u84 setups with lids deep enough to leave patched, plus my home made 7u84 which may or may not be quite deep enough but if it's not I will eventually make a deeper lid for it.

This was my setup for my presentation last month on enveloping audio oscillators as a sound source. I had about a dozen cables that I needed to connect on site, between the KSP and the racks, and the handful of inter-rack links, so I showed up with exactly enough patch cables (plus 10 more, of course) and an index card telling me what to patch, and everything else travelled patched and ready to go which made the whole thing much easier and less stressful.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks for the replies/book recos! I'll check them out.

JamesKPolk posted:

Link your GBS post! Love reading stuff like this

Here, from the 'Dubstep is going to come back' thread. It was mostly me waxing on the idea that Dubstep inevitably became popular with a bunch of former Nu-Metal millennials, and its mercurial fad - those couple of years when it was just the poo poo - was because a lot of them probably didn't genuinely care, they just wanted to get hosed up and mosh. Also we got old.

Anyway there's a tangent in the post that starts to talk about soft synths, sidechaining, OTT and other surgical tools and it got me thinking that this topic could make for an interesting article. Thanks specifically for pointing out good digital reverb being a factor - I had thought about this but forgot. I remember the days when you only had D-Verb and getting studio time at college meant burning some wet tracks with the big ten-thousand-dollar Lexicon unit. Now we have things like ValhallaRoom which are just insane.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Holy crap. I bet you could build an amazing plate reverb for ten grand!
Or spend that on a travel and access budget to record in some caverns and churches / empty arenas.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Thanks for the replies/book recos! I'll check them out.

Here, from the 'Dubstep is going to come back' thread. It was mostly me waxing on the idea that Dubstep inevitably became popular with a bunch of former Nu-Metal millennials, and its mercurial fad - those couple of years when it was just the poo poo - was because a lot of them probably didn't genuinely care, they just wanted to get hosed up and mosh. Also we got old.

Anyway there's a tangent in the post that starts to talk about soft synths, sidechaining, OTT and other surgical tools and it got me thinking that this topic could make for an interesting article. Thanks specifically for pointing out good digital reverb being a factor - I had thought about this but forgot. I remember the days when you only had D-Verb and getting studio time at college meant burning some wet tracks with the big ten-thousand-dollar Lexicon unit. Now we have things like ValhallaRoom which are just insane.

nice.

Reading that post - don't sleep on distribution tech either. Bloghouse e.g. is half fruity loops (or w/e) running on a normal laptop, half there being a scene that could exist in blogs rather than clubs. More DAW poo poo off the top of my head - Live 7/8 is when everyone started talking about that over FL/Pro Tools (in my world anyway), also Livin La Vida Loca, the Ricky Martin track (I think, it's definitely him), is the first grammy? something winning pop song to be mixed ITB as another data point. Then it gets really hard to separate jungle/dnb from Cubase on an Atari or like Jay Z / Dipset era east coasts beats from an MPC.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I had a subscription to SoundOnSound for a year and they had a bunch on topics like that. Especially the interviews about how classic tracks/albums were made. Don't remember what that series was called though. I think their older issues can be accessed for free still.

these kick rear end. tape op too.

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 6, 2024

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
This was a fun experiment. https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/tomb-maiden

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

TIL that it is apparently Reverb Support policy to freely read through your PMs before addressing the concern you report. Got my double tax back, but it was a bit of a shock to have the support person referencing details only contained in PMs between me and the seller.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Yeah, they also check messages if an item is delisted right after a PM is sent to make sure nothing is sold off site. Most of the time I get stuff it's cheaper to pick it up on Perfect Circuit with 10% off than buy it on Reverb with taxes and possibly shipping thrown in.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

JamesKPolk posted:

And DAWs getting piratable.

This is something that would be a fascinating topic on its own. Not just with DAWs but with all sorts of creative tools that a lot of people wouldn't have any real access to without torrents/usenet. How much of the music and art we enjoy has come from people using or learning on "stolen" tools, I wonder

Spiggy posted:

Yeah, they also check messages if an item is delisted right after a PM is sent to make sure nothing is sold off site. Most of the time I get stuff it's cheaper to pick it up on Perfect Circuit with 10% off than buy it on Reverb with taxes and possibly shipping thrown in.

I've bought and sold things locally from Reverb listings without going through the site and never had an issue. Not sure what they would do about it exactly since it would be entirely reasonable to have it listed on FB or craigslist as well.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

800peepee51doodoo posted:

This is something that would be a fascinating topic on its own. Not just with DAWs but with all sorts of creative tools that a lot of people wouldn't have any real access to without torrents/usenet. How much of the music and art we enjoy has come from people using or learning on "stolen" tools, I wonder

Although I own everything I use completely legally nowadays, for the first 10-15 years of my recording life it was pretty much all pirated software because I simply didn't have the money to pay for any of it. I straight up would not be in the field at all if it weren't for piracy, and a lot of the companies that make audio software have ended up getting a lot of money from me that they wouldn't have otherwise.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

Although I own everything I use completely legally nowadays, for the first 10-15 years of my recording life it was pretty much all pirated software because I simply didn't have the money to pay for any of it.

Same, went legit when I could afford it. Biggest reason was to finally have a setup that actually worked. I remember rumours that Cubase had something build in that the crack would work for a while and then it strated crashing and corrupting projects, definetly seemed to be the case in sx2 era. Also gently caress trying to keep cracked plugins updated or trying to figure out which one of is loving up this time.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Price pressure from competition (and, probably, piracy) has led to the existence of poo poo like Reaper and Studio One, too, which while not free are a lot more affordable than Logic or Live. And those two now have entry-tier licenses.

I assume the free-as-in-beer Valhalla reverbs would have been mind blowing to anyone doing this stuff in any capacity back when I was a kid/teenager in the 90s.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I finally bought FL Studio last year after 20 years of :filez: because I like to try, before I buy.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

snorch posted:

I finally bought FL Studio last year after 20 years of :filez: because I like to try, before I buy.

I no poo poo bought a winrar license last year

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I spent $60 on reaper and then never used it because opening a daw full of nothing but empty lanes is a complete inspiration deleter. It also takes a lot of time to get up to speed in, the interface is kinda rear end for exploration. I'm not even one of those anti-daw types, I think they're rad, they just require going in with a plan and I prefer making random farts until something sounds fun.

So I just record stems in AUM and drag the clips around in cubasis if I need to arrange anything.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

xzzy posted:

I spent $60 on reaper and then never used it because opening a daw full of nothing but empty lanes is a complete inspiration deleter. It also takes a lot of time to get up to speed in, the interface is kinda rear end for exploration. I'm not even one of those anti-daw types, I think they're rad, they just require going in with a plan and I prefer making random farts until something sounds fun.

So I just record stems in AUM and drag the clips around in cubasis if I need to arrange anything.

Reaper is a fantastic cost proposition and can be an amazing tool, and I find it way more useful for a lot of fine audio editing than most other DAWs, but it's probably the least user-friendly right out of the box. It takes some time to really get up and going, and is presented in a way that really seems to expect you to build templates and customize the interface or use SWS extensively to make it do exactly what you want it to. I think whether it's a good choice depends heavily on what you'll spend most of your time doing, and I basically never recommend it to my friends who just want to make music and record it occasionally.

I don't know what the cheap and cheerful option for that is these days--I use Reaper for heavy sound design work or anything where I'm going to be doing a shitload of little edits to an audio file, and I use it for more involved mixing purely because I'm really used to the workflow and the routing, but if I'm just farting around making music I absolutely do it in Live. Even as a full-featured DAW I think Live gives you so many useful shortcuts for music-making that it makes more traditional multi-track DAWs pale in comparison for that kind of work. Trying to actually make music in Reaper is like pulling teeth for me, I do not get along with the MIDI side of Reaper at all really.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

snorch posted:

I pirated FruityLoops for so long that I only learned it had become FL Studio when I went to buy it

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

xzzy posted:

:emptyquote:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MockingQuantum posted:

I pirated FruityLoops for so long that I only learned it had become FL Studio when I went to buy it

Oh holy poo poo lol

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cabbages and VHS posted:

Price pressure from competition (and, probably, piracy) has led to the existence of poo poo like Reaper and Studio One, too, which while not free are a lot more affordable than Logic or Live. And those two now have entry-tier licenses.

I assume the free-as-in-beer Valhalla reverbs would have been mind blowing to anyone doing this stuff in any capacity back when I was a kid/teenager in the 90s.

I mean, Reaper's "entry-tier license" is a minor 5-second nag at startup, but otherwise you can just use it for free. They call it "evaluation", but I'm pretty sure they know.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, Reaper's "entry-tier license" is a minor 5-second nag at startup, but otherwise you can just use it for free. They call it "evaluation", but I'm pretty sure they know.

they absolutely know, I think they've flat out said that their entry-tier license mostly makes money off of guilt and peer pressure, lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When you're staring at that counter five seconds feels like five hours. It's worth $60 to get rid of, if you got the money for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Cabbages and VHS posted:

I no poo poo bought a winrar license last year

what the gently caress