Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Is this the last Iron Banner before the expansion drops in June? I haven't been playing recently but I have like 50 iron banner engrams saved up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mean Baby posted:

I'm thinking of getting back into this game just to beat the main campaigns. I started witch queen but I am lost with how to just follow the campaign. Is there a guide or recommendation on what to play to get the story. I am a Day 1 D1 player.
If you want to continue the Witch Queen campaign, there should be a node under Savathun's Throne World in the director for one of the campaign missions. You should also have the campaign in your quest log still. The missions that make up the campaign are, in order

The Arrival
The Investigation
The Ghosts
The Communion
The Mirror
(The Lightblade) - not a mission, but a strike that you're asked to do as part of the campaign
The Cunning
The Last Chance
The Ritual

After you've done that going to Europa should throw you right into the Lightfall campaign if you want to continue on, assuming you bought Lightfall.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Listerine posted:

Is this the last Iron Banner before the expansion drops in June? I haven't been playing recently but I have like 50 iron banner engrams saved up.

Yeah

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What's the best way to find raid and dungeon groups these days?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Join the Serious Overchill discord (see OP)

After that, the in-game fireteam finder and phone app LFG tool are pretty good

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I think I somehow deleted a weapon by accident off my titan. No clue what it was though :smith:.

Don't DIM while on a deleting frenzy :smith:.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
It sucks if you actually did that, but I've been in a spot where I thought I deleted something good and it turned out DIM just put it in the vault or scooted it to another character somehow.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It shouldn’t be possible to issue the delete command to the public API, that’s why DIM doesn’t have that feature normally. So it probably just put it somewhere you haven’t checked

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

haveblue posted:

It shouldn’t be possible to issue the delete command to the public API, that’s why DIM doesn’t have that feature normally. So it probably just put it somewhere you haven’t checked

haveblue posted:

That's what I am thinking, but I have no idea what gun it was. It was not in any of my builds.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

I think I somehow deleted a weapon by accident off my titan. No clue what it was though :smith:.

Don't DIM while on a deleting frenzy :smith:.

Alternatively if you don't remember what it even was then was it really that valuable? I did a clean out the other day and caught myself trying to remember what I even deleted, and most of those weapons were unused godrolls.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I did some vault cleaning this weekend. I had had like 130 items at 1600 light level.

There’s just all sorts of cool poo poo I genuinely have never used. It’s all tagged to be junked now and I delete as I need space.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

syntaxfunction posted:

Alternatively if you don't remember what it even was then was it really that valuable? I did a clean out the other day and caught myself trying to remember what I even deleted, and most of those weapons were unused godrolls.

Good point, I think I am more annoyed that I don't remember what it was :colbert:.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
ughhh after 40 or so engrams, I finally got my first Tusk of the Boar. What even is the god roll on this? I got a Slice/Chain Reaction which seems good?

I have another question since I don't really understand how this works, but is Blast Radius bad for this weapon like it is for Mountaintop?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The biggest travesty of sunsetting being reversed is it's going to encourage even more hoarding, despite almost all the sunset stuff being powercrept by now, and the reality that people are hoarding okay or bad weapons, or godrolls that have 0 kills on them after three seasons.

If you have any weapons and you can't put even a hundred kills on it by the end of the next season then just delete it because it doesn't matter how good it is, you aren't using it. "My kinetic tremors/shoot to loot godroll is so amazing" buddy you have three kills on it and you got it two and a half seasons ago, and one of those seasons is double time, you are never going to loving use it.

Also if it turns out it was so amazing after all, gently caress it, go get another one, it isn't like we can't focus a billion of these now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Utterly wild to me that vendor/rep powerful engrams still just give world drops, why on earth would it not give stuff from that vendor, what possible reason?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

The biggest travesty of sunsetting being reversed is it's going to encourage even more hoarding, despite almost all the sunset stuff being powercrept by now, and the reality that people are hoarding okay or bad weapons, or godrolls that have 0 kills on them after three seasons.

If you have any weapons and you can't put even a hundred kills on it by the end of the next season then just delete it because it doesn't matter how good it is, you aren't using it. "My kinetic tremors/shoot to loot godroll is so amazing" buddy you have three kills on it and you got it two and a half seasons ago, and one of those seasons is double time, you are never going to loving use it.

Also if it turns out it was so amazing after all, gently caress it, go get another one, it isn't like we can't focus a billion of these now.

To be fair the way they like to pigeonhole us into builds with the artifact makes things like this happen more often.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, artifact being "here are like five approved weapons to counter champs and also the one or two subclasses we really want you to use" isn't great (the Stasis perks this season are small but oh so welcome and make Stasis really fun) and restrictive.

But I'm talking more people who have like three lovely rolls of the same gun, or five godrolls of the one archetype and they only use one. Like do you need that Battle Scar with 1 kill when you have a crafted Chattering Bone? Are you really using all those 140 Hand Cannons? At a certain point you really don't need a half dozen of the same basic gun. Sometimes you have like "this is an adaptive Pulse so is this, but this is add-clear and this is single target shenanigans" or whatever and that's fine, but how many 450 Kinetic ARs you need really?

And then add in the extra humour of "why would you ever not just use Conditional Finality/Rufus'/Summoner/Apex Predator etc"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I feel attacked cuz that's all my vault is. Trying to figure out what ti keep the past 7 months.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

syntaxfunction posted:

But I'm talking more people who have like three lovely rolls of the same gun, or five godrolls of the one archetype and they only use one. Like do you need that Battle Scar with 1 kill when you have a crafted Chattering Bone? Are you really using all those 140 Hand Cannons? At a certain point you really don't need a half dozen of the same basic gun. Sometimes you have like "this is an adaptive Pulse so is this, but this is add-clear and this is single target shenanigans" or whatever and that's fine, but how many 450 Kinetic ARs you need really?

Okay but Battle Scar looks cooler :colbert:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The duality of the Destiny community is someone mentioning Perpetualis or something and people responding "dude just get Rufus or Quicksilver you should literally never use anything else" and the people who have Underdog rolls because "but what if Bungie buff it and bring it back? It could be meta! They brought back the sunset weapons!"

It's a wonderfully chaotic vibe honestly.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Necrotic grips are hilarious in PVP because even when you lose a melee duel you get to watch your opponent drop dead a few seconds later.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Mean Baby posted:

I'm thinking of getting back into this game just to beat the main campaigns. I started witch queen but I am lost with how to just follow the campaign. Is there a guide or recommendation on what to play to get the story. I am a Day 1 D1 player.
One of the things I´ll never be able to understand is how badly that Bungie has made the entire newbie Destiny experience by removing entire campaigns and the plot leading up to where we are now. I still wish that they would have invested into a linear campaign that incorporated the more important missions from at least the Red War campaign.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They sort of did that- there are a series of playable recaps that act as sort of abridged summaries of the relevant campaigns in the timeline now

Of course this isn't really what you're asking for since there's no red war mission, it's only expansions that are still live in the game. Also I don't know if they ever point them out to new players or just leave them to be discovered

I just wish they'd stop dumping new players into the seasonal intro missions and cutscenes. Even if they refuse to make the missions something you have to explicitly pick and launch from the director, surely they can filter out anyone who hasn't completed the new light quests yet or something

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

haveblue posted:

They sort of did that- there are a series of playable recaps that act as sort of abridged summaries of the relevant campaigns in the timeline now

Of course this isn't really what you're asking for since there's no red war mission, it's only expansions that are still live in the game. Also I don't know if they ever point them out to new players or just leave them to be discovered

I just wish they'd stop dumping new players into the seasonal intro missions and cutscenes. Even if they refuse to make the missions something you have to explicitly pick and launch from the director, surely they can filter out anyone who hasn't completed the new light quests yet or something

It reminds me when I came back during witch queen or the end of beyond light. If my friend hadn’t explained all this stuff to me, I’d be doing old quests for old seasons instead of doing the campaign and I played D2 at launch and forsaken.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Part of me wants things like the red war, forsaken and even warmind campaigns back.

However I would also want them to be just the missions, and cut the bullshit objectives like 'do the public event we added five times and then go back and forth between a bunch of NPCs for a wall of text from each.'

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Part of me wants things like the red war, forsaken and even warmind campaigns back.

However I would also want them to be just the missions, and cut the bullshit objectives like 'do the public event we added five times and then go back and forth between a bunch of NPCs for a wall of text from each.'

:hmmyes:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Most looter games that have a 'Season' mechanic (i.e. "hundreds of new items to earn every year") will have some kind of a recurring wipe or reset so that you can actually earn the new guns

Destiny has done this many a time (Taken King, D2 Vanilla, Forsaken, Beyond Light) but per community feedback they will not do it ever again.

Now their goal is to make the new guns better than the old guns, so that we'll voluntarily delete existing guns & try to earn new guns. This means they'll have to periodically raise the difficulty of the game, in the form of more enemy HP, more enemy damage, time limits, etc.

There is no perfect solution, but they don't need it to be perfect. They just need it to be good enough to last a year or two before they revise the system again or just move on to a new title

Orv
May 4, 2011
I love how every time I try Gambit over the years, there's always some new bullshit weapon that every single invader is using. It's like an old friend that I hate.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Most looter games that have a 'Season' mechanic (i.e. "hundreds of new items to earn every year") will have some kind of a recurring wipe or reset so that you can actually earn the new guns

Destiny has done this many a time (Taken King, D2 Vanilla, Forsaken, Beyond Light) but per community feedback they will not do it ever again.

Now their goal is to make the new guns better than the old guns, so that we'll voluntarily delete existing guns & try to earn new guns. This means they'll have to periodically raise the difficulty of the game, in the form of more enemy HP, more enemy damage, time limits, etc.

There is no perfect solution, but they don't need it to be perfect. They just need it to be good enough to last a year or two before they revise the system again or just move on to a new title

A seasonal server where you start fresh every season with no old gear would be kinda fun and insane in a way.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A seasonal server where you start fresh every season with no old gear would be kinda fun and insane in a way.

This is the future that Luke Smith wants

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I'd love a "standard" format for modes with only the current year of gear. I just don't want to grind light levels anymore.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Ive been a hunter main for 95% of destiny 2 but I never used golden gun much until recently. Used it in Gambit and invaded and killed 3 with golden gun and 1 with gjalarhorn. Lmao, I'm sure they were furious for such a low skill way to kill their entire team after they beat us to the boss. They lost all of their progress of course.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What I'm hearing is bring back sunsetting but don't archive the weapons, nuke em all.

Also if you wanted you can just delete your entire vault. I've only got a handful of non origin trait weapons, and most of those were the ritual rewards. If Bungie ever says "hey we're gonna let you enhance perks on all weapons but only going forward, not the stuff you have already" I'm just gonna say cool, delete it all and just start again because like, gently caress it, most of that stuff wasn't exactly horrific to get anyway.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Every season you start with a stubborn oak and a broken traveler and have to get everything again.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This is just starting to sound like a new rogue like mode honestly.

Prismatic rogue like, where your weapons and kit are randomly assembled lol

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
More and more people are saying D2Y1 was the best thing to happen to this franchise.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Sonys gonna make them spin up retro D2Y1 servers at some point

Orv
May 4, 2011

el B posted:

More and more people are saying D2Y1 was the best thing to happen to this franchise.

They will not see heaven

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's the natural cycle. I think they've done so many great changes, but if you look at a lot of "new" requests it's pretty much going back to ye olde attempted methods. Often they want exactly what was, but it is noted "they just did it wrong last time".

I'm seeing people requesting fixed rolls. Not like, a specific curated roll for the collection, but like Y1 fixed rolls. Across the board.

Everything old is new, everything new is different, everything different is scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
People are stupid, it's true

E: Speaking of stupid, crafted a Sweet Sorrow for PvP after letting the pattern sit uncrafted forever; incredible.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 7, 2024