Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Scratch Monkey posted:

Modern athletes are fined tuned like robots built specifically for their sport. Back in the 70s pro athletes only trained when the Allman Brothers weren't playing somewhere or when no one could find any ditch weed and ludes, so on game day they sometimes were a little rusty

We need to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Scratch Monkey posted:

Modern athletes are fined tuned like robots built specifically for their sport. Back in the 70s pro athletes only trained when the Allman Brothers weren't playing somewhere or when no one could find any ditch weed and ludes, so on game day they sometimes were a little rusty

Sounds awful. We have a far better system today, where athletes sacrifice their childhood and existence as well-rounded beings to chase ever-smaller gains in perfection that are invisible to all but a handful of other people

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Soul Dentist posted:

Raphael Ford?

lol

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Tree Bucket posted:

Sounds awful. We have a far better system today, where athletes sacrifice their childhood and existence as well-rounded beings to chase ever-smaller gains in perfection that are invisible to all but a handful of other people

Yeah, but look at the bright side. You might get sponsored by Flavor Flav!!!?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Are there any top-tier athletic disciplines that still have their fair share of partiers?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Mister Speaker posted:

Are there any top-tier athletic disciplines that still have their fair share of partiers?

rugby, at a guess and probably roller derby

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Cricket, they drink a shitload on the 20+ hours of flights between the cricketing nations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think most pro athletes get completely hosed up on the regular, it's just they time it so they don't do it right before they have to compete.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/rd4ZNNS.mp4

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Air Skwirl posted:

I think most pro athletes get completely hosed up on the regular, it's just they time it so they don't do it right before they have to compete.

Given how many Aussie sports stars make the news for getting caught with drugs it seems that probably doesn't always hold true either.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

gently caress yeah!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

That's a funny looking cat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ninurta posted:

That's a bunny looking cat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inceltown posted:

Given how many Aussie sports stars make the news for getting caught with drugs it seems that probably doesn't always hold true either.

AFL players especially, they're too goddamned stupid to time it properly. It recently came to light that the clubs had been systematically testing the players off the books and anyone who didn't pass was simply pulled from the roster and given a sick day to avoid the official tests. The players get to party, the league gets to claim their players are all drug free, everyone gets what they want!
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/mar/27/revelations-of-secret-afl-drug-testing-leave-many-unanswered-questions

It must have been one of the worst kept secrets of all time, lol. Everyone's probably real mad at whoever made a fuss about it.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Is your username a reference to an adult film star of, say, ten or so years ago?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Ninurta posted:

That's a funny looking cat.

The Danish word for rabbit “kanin” literally translates into “flop cat”.

Or it should.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Curling.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Oh yeah, how could I have forgotten this. I worked at a curling club briefly doing catering, and those cats could DRINK.

Tangentially related but I also heard from someone in the know that a certain former captain of a certain local NHL team, his 'thing' when the team was partying, was eating cereal out of strippers' butts.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Nothing but cigarettes, Coke and M&Ms: Golfer John Daly's INSANE on-course diet as golf's biggest bad boy, 56, tees off at the PGA Championship

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

madmatt112 posted:

Is your username a reference to an adult film star of, say, ten or so years ago?

Nope. It's a reference to Greek mythology from back when I was in college and was figuring out that I liked girls. A more proper spelling would be Kythereal, and 'cytherean' or 'cythereal' are obscure terms sometimes used in astronomy paying homage to the same myth.

Presumably the same myth that the adult film star in question was also paying a nod to.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nothing wrong with that, the man's gotta bulk up for visiting every family in the world on Christmas Eve somehow

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Air Skwirl posted:

the legend of doc ellis lives on

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

dee eight posted:

the legend of doc ellis lives on

There's a bar in my neighbourhood named after this guy. His legacy story is incredible. For those not in the know: he pitched a no-hitter while on LSD.

I hate golf but this dude fucken rules.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
John Daly is a Trump voting chud piece of poo poo, who cares if he wears funny pants.

Siffl
Sep 3, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

I worked in an major sports apparel manufacturing company's design department when they were doing the initial branding and design work for Tiger Woods product launch. Old Tiger knew he was in the strip club capital of the US, and would party his face off every time he visited to do design reviews. When the news about the affairs came out, everyone on campus (who didn't work in that category) just chuckled.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Cythereal posted:

Nope. It's a reference to Greek mythology from back when I was in college and was figuring out that I liked girls. A more proper spelling would be Kythereal, and 'cytherean' or 'cythereal' are obscure terms sometimes used in astronomy paying homage to the same myth.

Presumably the same myth that the adult film star in question was also paying a nod to.

Yeah that’s way cooler, ty

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/AMAZlNGNATURE/status/1787595853001019729?s=19

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Inceltown posted:

I have studied Australian culture through the dash cam documentaries and as far as I can see they must all be doing drugs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

bad_fmr posted:

I have studied Australian culture through the dash cam documentaries and as far as I can see they must all be doing drugs.

Strewth mate you want to live here without drugs?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
https://i.imgur.com/1WMF5mp.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/qwlA9Iu.mp4

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Regular Wario posted:

arms arent meant to bend like that

can't arm there, skate

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2020/11/04/grateful-dead-bill-walton-boston-celtics-worcester-35-years-ago/6143567002/

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

To be fair, golf is a game not a sport :can:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

To be fair, golf is a game not a sport :can:

It's only sport if it's for game.

e: On an unrelated note I can't stop eating these Xylitol Jenkki Enjoy Smoothie Mix pastilles.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Oh come on... you're not going to tell me that's not a muppet.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Gina Carano Reaffirms Hopes of Star Wars Return Despite Disney Lawsuit

quote:

"Everybody I worked physically with, I never had a problem with," Carano said in an interview with Tucker Carlson. "Me and Pedro reconnected after Carl Weathers passed away. There's all these lies, and all these weird stories that people make up in their heads."

She added, "One thing I can say is I adore Pedro, and he said one thing to me. He said, 'You and Carl were protectors.' And that means so much to me that he remembers me and our time together as me being a protector, and it's important that people don't know what the real story is. Like, why do you think Pedro is calling me a protector? To his fans, I want [them to know] there's a reason, and there's stories you don't know that happened."
Oh Gina

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
This reminds me of an article yesterday.
The Belgian federation for pétanque will ban alcohol at competitions.
I mean, I thought that was the point of the whole game? Stand around in the sun and drink something with friends. The whole ball throwing thing seems secondary.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

mrfart posted:

This reminds me of an article yesterday.
The Belgian federation for pétanque will ban alcohol at competitions.
I mean, I thought that was the point of the whole game? Stand around in the sun and drink something with friends. The whole ball throwing thing seems secondary.

We hebben een serieus probleem and you're founding a petanquefederatie

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah petanque is a great way to hang out. Like darts but less stabby and indoorsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Calling it petanque is like calling curling "shwooshclonk" or basketball "squeakieswish" and I love it