Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

TACD posted:

A friend-of-a-friend named their child “TJ”. That was their official, legal, birth certificate name.

Is their last name Lazer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Gf gave random guy her number right in front of me. Did I over react?

quote:

Me and my girlfriend have been together for almost 2 years (we are late 20s). Today we were getting coffee. She has a dog and brought her there with us. This place was busy with all kinds of people and families around. I left for a minute to get a drink and when I came back she was talking to some guy while he was petting the dog. I didn’t think any thing of it at first because people come up and pet/ talk about our dog until they took their phones out.

I got a little uncomfortable and she seemed a little uncomfortable as well and when I asked her what that was about/ who was that she waited till he left to talk. She said that was weird. And I asked her why she give him her number and if she said she had a boyfriend. She did not tell him she had a boyfriend and later said she felt bad for not. We talked and she said she was confused and flustered and would never meet up with him and promised to do better/ would block him.

I couldn’t help but think the worst and wonder if this was the first time to happen and what would of happened if i wasn’t there or what happens when she goes out.

I later confronted her when we left and went home ( admittedly upset ) about the situation and asked her why I shouldn’t just leave and if she wants to be with me or not.

Her defense being she was tired and was not expecting someone to ask for her number there/ thought he was just being nice.

We later talk it out and I come to see her perspective that maybe it’s sometimes hard to say no to a man hitting on you and later apologized for being so upset.

But apart of me feels like it’s not like you were in a dark alley alone at night. How hard was it to say the guy sitting across from you (me) is your boyfriend?! And tell him no.

We later kinda made up and watched a movie but now she’s upset about how I reacted to the situation saying “I’ve never seen this side of you” the way I reacted worried her and wants to talk more.

I guess I’d like some outside perspective

Did I over react? Is what she did acceptable? Or is it some grey area

Thank you for reading and advice

TLDR Girl friend gave out her number to some random dude in front of me and I got really upset.

This one has updates (they broke up) and a lot of comments on the OP's side saying the gf was awful and disrespectful and trying to manipulate him.

But, personally, I think OP is a dumbass. This reads to me like the gf was caught off guard and just gave the guy her number as it was the easiest way to end the interaction. It's like when someone hands you a flyer you don't want--it's easier to take it and dispose of it later, rather than risk a confrontation. (If it's not obvious, I'm extremely non-confrontational.)

Yes she could have politely turned him down or pointed out her bf or given him a fake number or whatever, but I think she was just surprised and kind of switched to auto pilot.

Meanwhile, OP is acting like he walked in on her sucking some rando's face.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Samovar posted:

It's Maxx.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Halloween Jack posted:

It’s an accurate stereotype of pathologists, but I’d never heard it said about dentists specifically.

There should be a Dr. Glaucomflecken skit where this gets addressed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TACD posted:

A friend-of-a-friend named their child “TJ”. That was their official, legal, birth certificate name.

Hopefully named after Selwyn Ward, first black leader of the power rangers

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

TACD posted:

Everyone's name will just be an emoji in the future.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Never talk to my son 💩Jr. and my daughter, *does a fortnite dance* ever again

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

o((>ω< ))o╰(‵□′)╯(~ ̄(OO) ̄)ブ(⊙x⊙;)(╬▔皿▔)╯o(≧口≦)o ̄へ ̄(︶^︶)( ˘︹˘ ) the elder.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

This is my son, henohenomoheji.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well it won't be dark in the daytime, now will it. Unless there's no windows.
We have like 5-6 hours between sunrise and sunset in the middle of winter here.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

TACD posted:

Tonly Jonly Jones

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh please, stop clutching your pearls, ya bunch of Helen Lovejoys. You're all absolutely fine saying T.S. Elliot or J.D. Salinger or J.R.R. Tolkien or E.E. Cummings, or J.K. Rowling or A.A. Milne or C.S. Lewis. You'd probably feel weird AF trying to discuss any of those people by their full names bc this is how you know them.

Cloacamazing! posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, there was the girl who's parents insisted she be called D.J. by the teachers. My mother refused.

I mean jfc, D.J. was what they called the oldest loving daughter in Full House - so it was common enough as a nickname in the 90s. Fuckin' weird if your mom as a teacher is like no your full, god-given name is Donna Jo Margaret and that's what I'm calling you becausssee...why? What is she protecting here? Name decorum? The sanctity of full names?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 7, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

odiv posted:

We have like 5-6 hours between sunrise and sunset in the middle of winter here.

Yes, also called daytime. If the sun'sn't up, it's night-time.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i go by my initials because americans are dog mouthed people who can't understand that a "j" gets pronounced as a "y" sometimes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Dogs can't pronounce the letter Y?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
dogs go "yap" all the time

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hau hau

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I mean jfc, D.J. was what they called the oldest loving daughter in Full House - so it was common enough as a nickname in the 90s.

But then she wrote DJ in the name field on her SATs and, because it wasn’t her real name, she didn’t get the starting 400 points, and scored a 0 in a nightmare sequence.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Samovar posted:

No it's Maxx, he has a lot of clothes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Also one time DJ held a beer and she felt really bad about it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Also one time DJ held a beer and she felt really bad about it.

AITA for giving a three year old beer?

quote:

Yeah it sounds bad but it really was an innocent thing. I was at a cookout with my wife's family and I just opened up a cold one. My wife's three year old neice asked me what I was drinking, and I told her it was beer. She asked to taste it, so I poured her like a tenth of a sip into a plastic cup thinking it will be bitter for her, but, well, she liked it.

She wanted more and I told her it was a grownup drink but it was too late. She ran around demanding to drink more beer for the entire cookout, she wouldn't eat anything, just demanded beer, and they had to put her in a time out.

Anyway, the inlaws are mad now and the wife isn't happy. So AITA?

Edit: the kids are given watered down wine on shabbas if it's relevant

Update: apologised and sorted it out with the in laws. They know I love that little rascal and would never intend to harm her. I do agree with people that things like that should be leveled with the parents first. Interesting that the divide along YTA/NTA was highly correlated with upbringing - Europeans and more rural oriented Americans (for lack of better wording) did realise that this a just a dumb brain fart on my part at worst, and just being an uncle at best. I think mostly Americans were highly critical of my actions, there does seem to be a series taboo regarding alcohol and boundaries in that culture. I guess its a matter of outlook, as most things are.

Having said that, I got some literal death threats, and some people said I should be locked up and never ever be around children. Really now?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Haha, gently caress, thanks clown

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
Haha, I absolutely get the thinking on that one - my parents did that to us as kids and we couldn't spit it out fast enough. It's always a risky play, though, kids can have bizarre flavor pallets (my favorite as a kid was frozen brussel sprouts).

But yeah, YTA on that, especially since he's not the parent. Giving unsuspecting kid a tiny sip of a very hoppy beer to discourage interest is obviously the call for parents call to make, and enjoy.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

artsy fartsy posted:

Gf gave random guy her number right in front of me. Did I over react?

This one has updates (they broke up) and a lot of comments on the OP's side saying the gf was awful and disrespectful and trying to manipulate him.

But, personally, I think OP is a dumbass. This reads to me like the gf was caught off guard and just gave the guy her number as it was the easiest way to end the interaction. It's like when someone hands you a flyer you don't want--it's easier to take it and dispose of it later, rather than risk a confrontation. (If it's not obvious, I'm extremely non-confrontational.)

Yes she could have politely turned him down or pointed out her bf or given him a fake number or whatever, but I think she was just surprised and kind of switched to auto pilot.

Meanwhile, OP is acting like he walked in on her sucking some rando's face.

OP literally got out of the car and started yelling at his GF right off the bat before driving off angrily to cool off and had the loving gall to get offended that his gf was scared.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Oh please, stop clutching your pearls, ya bunch of Helen Lovejoys. You're all absolutely fine saying T.S. Elliot or J.D. Salinger or J.R.R. Tolkien or E.E. Cummings, or J.K. Rowling or A.A. Milne or C.S. Lewis. You'd probably feel weird AF trying to discuss any of those people by their full names bc this is how you know them.

I mean jfc, D.J. was what they called the oldest loving daughter in Full House - so it was common enough as a nickname in the 90s. Fuckin' weird if your mom as a teacher is like no your full, god-given name is Donna Jo Margaret and that's what I'm calling you becausssee...why? What is she protecting here? Name decorum? The sanctity of full names?

I agree with your point but published author names are a little different. All those authors go/went by their names to their friends and family. Except CS Lewis who named himself Jack when he was a kid so that's what everyone who knew him called him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITAH for wanting to eat my way?

quote:

For the past 5 years of my marriage, my wife (33F) and her family have been driving me (35M) insane with their constant food policing. I swear, every single time I take a bite of something, one of them has to chime in with their two cents about what I should add to it.

It doesn't matter if it's a gourmet meal or a simple PB&J sandwich - they just can't help themselves. "Oh, you know what would be perfect with that? Some sliced avocado!" "Have you tried adding a sprinkle of paprika? It'll change your life!" "You're not putting enough mayo on that sandwich, hon."

I've tried everything to get them to stop. I've politely nodded and smiled, I've tried to change the subject, I've even straight-up told them that I'm happy with my food the way it is. But nothing works. They just keep on coming with the unsolicited advice, like they think I'm some kind of culinary idiot who doesn't know how to feed himself.

Well, last weekend I finally reached my breaking point. We were having a big family dinner, and I was just trying to enjoy my burger in peace. But then my wife's sister started in on how I should add pickles to it, and I saw red. I slammed my fist on the table and yelled at her to back off and let me eat my drat food how I want it. Im embarrassed and not how I am normally.

The whole table went silent, and my wife started crying. She said I was being an insensitive jerk and that I'd ruined the whole dinner. Now the entire family is pissed at me, and I'm sleeping on the couch.

I know I shouldn't have yelled, but I'm just so sick and tired of being treated like a child who doesn't know how to feed himself. AITA for finally standing up for myself, or should I just shut up and let them dictate my diet for the rest of my life?

TL;DR - I lost my poo poo on my wife's family for always telling me what to add to my food, and now they hate me. AITA?​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
This sounds like it would be loving insufferable.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
And he went on to make Burger King, where you can Have it Your Way™.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can't stand people that stare at you as you're about to take the first bite and barely let you remove the fork from your mouth before they ask "How is it?" when there's no way you could possibly know that yet.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

quote:

I've tried everything to get them to stop. I've politely nodded and smiled, I've tried to change the subject, I've even straight-up told them that I'm happy with my food the way it is.

"I've tried everything. I tried agreeing quietly, I tried deflecting, and I've even tried indirectly suggesting their input isn't appreciated!"

"Did you try directly asking them to stop?"

"Oh, no, not that."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Alchemist posted:

Never talk to my son 💩Jr. and my daughter, *does a fortnite dance* ever again
Please, □ is my father's name. Call me �

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Shithouse Dave posted:

Yeah, I’m team låmp. I replaced all the cold white cfl bulbs that were in my rental house with warm white LEDs, except for the ones on a dimmer, which are incandescents because the dimming curve on LEDs just annoys me. We mostly don’t use the overhead lights except in the kitchen and bathroom, we have a selection of weird old lamps and they’re nicer. Soft, warm light, only in the places you want it.

I have thought about smart bulbs but the lightbulb wanting the wifi password still weirds me out tbh. Call me a Luddite, but a lightbulb has no business being on the internet. Neither does a toaster or fridge. Only humans on the internet, please and thankyou.
Probably helps also that I rent an old house and I have old-to-antique furniture and tchotchkes, I don’t need or want my space to look futuristic.

The instinct to not trust the security of a lightbulb is a good one, but if you want to use them relatively safely then all you need is a router with a guest network. They can't do much to you if they're unable to talk to the other devices in your home. You could instead use smart light switches, if you trust the company that manufactures them more or whatever, but that doesn't change much otherwise.

Realistically though, unless you're on the wrong side of the Mossad or not-Mossad dichotomy, the worst you probably have to worry about is the company that makes them going out of business and your lightbulb app suddenly not working one day. That's pretty frustrating too though, so maybe you just can't win. :shrug:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wicked Them Beats posted:

"I've tried everything. I tried agreeing quietly, I tried deflecting, and I've even tried indirectly suggesting their input isn't appreciated!"

"Did you try directly asking them to stop?"

"Oh, no, not that."

I don't know, I think

quote:

I've even straight-up told them that I'm happy with my food the way it is.

looks like a very direct way of saying it. If they don't take the hint then, a firm' "stop it" wouldn't cut it.

Albino Broccoli
Aug 5, 2022

TACD posted:

Hey this was almost my legal name! My parents decided at the last second to stay sane and just gave me a first and middle name with those initials instead.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
To hear my dad tell it, when the nurse came in and asked them what my name would be so she could fill out the birth certificate, he was the first one to answer.
:haw:: "SLAGATHOR!"
The nurse blinked, turned to Mom: "So what will his name be?" Ignored the poo poo out of dad every time she had to come into the room for whatever reason.
I'm 90% certain he's bullshitting.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

CommissarMega posted:

I don't know, I think

looks like a very direct way of saying it. If they don't take the hint then, a firm' "stop it" wouldn't cut it.

It reads to me like he's repeatedly just saying "no, I'm fine, thanks," which ends the current interaction but doesn't tell the person making the recommendation that you want them to never make a recommendation again. He needed to actually say "I don't want input on my eating choices," but instead he politely deflected.

Albino Broccoli
Aug 5, 2022
Slagathor story is real in my heart

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Hopefully named after Selwyn Ward, first black leader of the power rangers

:hmmyes:

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

It reads to me like he's repeatedly just saying "no, I'm fine, thanks," which ends the current interaction but doesn't tell the person making the recommendation that you want them to never make a recommendation again. He needed to actually say "I don't want input on my eating choices," but instead he politely deflected.

yeah, it's this. there are a whole bunch of steps between what he'd already tried and his outburst, and the other side being insufferable doesn't mean it's reasonable to skip all of them and go straight to a temper tantrum

op doesn't know how to stand up for himself or communicate his boundaries and somehow thinks a reasonable response to unreasonable behaviour is to bottle up your frustration til it boils over, then explode violently at the next arbitrary trigger. good one

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Rat Patrol posted:

I agree with your point but published author names are a little different. All those authors go/went by their names to their friends and family. Except CS Lewis who named himself Jack when he was a kid so that's what everyone who knew him called him.

okay but real people in real life actually do use names like that and every judgement about it in this thread is stupid bullshit spouted by morons, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

If someone "politely deflects" your advice a dozen times, maybe it's your responsibility to stop being thick as pigshit, instead of their responsibility to make things clear to you in a way that doesn't hurt your feelings. He said everything he needed to say, assuming the people he's talking to aren't overbearing morons.

Don't be a busybody about other people's food in the first place. Literally no one on earth wants their in-laws advice about what toppings to put on a burger at a barbecue. Just shut the gently caress up.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 7, 2024