Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Casimir Radon posted:

RA1 has the lovely canyon mission to start with. RA2 has shooting gallery with nothing to run into for the first level, and the second is pretty forgiving too. RA1 also has some weird joystick deadzone issues that makes it a lot harder than it should be.

We tried joystick, keyboard, and mouse, and none of them made it any easier, it was wild. The T-16 Skyhopper yearns for the canyon walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

catlord posted:

We tried joystick, keyboard, and mouse, and none of them made it any easier, it was wild. The T-16 Skyhopper yearns for the canyon walls.
I eventually developed the muscle memory to be able to do it without taking any hits. But that was lost a long time ago. When GOG got them years ago I thought I’d play again and would be fine because I was an adult now. Nope.

Chapter 3 I never quite got good enough at to beat consistently without taking a bunch of damage. For several chapters after that it’s actually pretty easy.

https://youtu.be/MN4uwehtM8Y?si=OYVLcPURZBUDdFte

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I finally beat Dusk on Cero Miedo. Never again. That's it. I've peaked. I can gladly uninstall and never look back. Great game and all, but that was way too much for me to handle at times.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Grimthwacker posted:

I finally beat Dusk on Cero Miedo. Never again. That's it. I've peaked. I can gladly uninstall and never look back. Great game and all, but that was way too much for me to handle at times.

God bless.

What do you have next?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Been playing through Trepang2 today. The side mission where you take down the UFO was very fun

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I wish it had more missions like that

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/QuakeCon/status/1787534324809556124

(maybe we will have a new id game this year?)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm ready

for

RAGE 3

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the streets want Quake (2025)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Streets want Quake (2025)

Original Pirate Software

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Original Pirate Software

lol

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

God bless.

What do you have next?

Dunno. I'll have to think about it, thanks!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm getting squirmy for Phantom Fury. Like I know it's not currently the game it should be, and I'm still holding out hope that a series of patches will unfuck the biggest complaints about it, but I want it to be good. It's right up my alley.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm getting squirmy for Phantom Fury. Like I know it's not currently the game it should be, and I'm still holding out hope that a series of patches will unfuck the biggest complaints about it, but I want it to be good. It's right up my alley.

Yeah, I only started playing "early FPS" as an adult, the post-HL, linear shooter is where my childhood lies, so I'll definitely be picking up PF at some point, especially since confirming the shooting feels good now.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Deakul posted:

I'm ready

for

RAGE 3

I really enjoyed both Rage games, so yeah, I'll gladly take Rage 3!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

I really enjoyed both Rage games, so yeah, I'll gladly take Rage 3!

Yeah I've gone to bat for RAGE 2 in the past; it was a surprisingly satisfying game once you pushed through long enough to unlock some weapons and abilities.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't care what anybody thinks I like brutal john

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rage 2 is quite fun but being an open world didn't feel like it played to the games strengths that much.

That and the weapons were varied but the shotgun and rifle were 90% or more of the time the most efficient option.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Rage 2's combat was weirdly good, a proper mix of twitchy and cerebral, and it would've benefited from being a lean linear shooter instead of a bloated open world game

Rage 1 is the nadir and serves only to calibrate measurement tools to absolute zero

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Rage1's competition at the time was Borderlands1/2, and since it had actual gunplay in it it fared decently enough.

I honestly would really like to see a return to that world and linear environment, just with... less fetch quests.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Rage 2 is fun on account of id did the combat. Incredibly shallow open world, and the convoy raids were kind of disappointing after Mad Max.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 7, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rage 2 is a great podcast game

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Rage 1 has some actual fun fights in it but there's so much "open world" cruft that just keeps killing the fun.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

david_a posted:

There’s some weird timing thing with the music; if you change it to the OPL3 version it sounds better (no idea why it isn’t the default).

I don’t have any complaints with the controls though :confused:

The Kins posted:

There's some bugs in the MIDI playback, yeah. They were working on a patch and posted a music clip to demonstrate that it had improved a lot, but that was a while ago.
Speak of the devil: The first patch is out now on Steam and is presumably winding down the pipe everywhere else. and also everywhere else.

quote:

Cheating is now reset when players change levels
Improve music playback timing
Fix randomization of scripted music events
Fix music panning
Fix random note dropouts (sometimes in music individual notes would just stop)
Fix ice physics
Fix some switches not working (like in Ramsees Hed)
Fix issue rendering mask on GPU renderer
Fix culling of 3D models
Performance fixes for Switch
Fix target FPS on PS5/XSX (used to be locked at 60 FPS, now runs at 120)
Fix texture offset for floor-based skies
Fix repeater sound incorrectly stopping when it should loop
Fix collision at high framerates
Fix switches on Avenger
Fix a rare crash when skipping forward through levels
Slow down homing missiles to match the original game
Fix some hi-res sprites so they use fullbright effects
Add HD loading screen
Weapon Wheel now always has weapons in the same place
Add animation to Death Star Plans and Nava Card
(PC ONLY) - Compatibility Fixes

The Kins fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 7, 2024

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I knew something was up with those ice physics :tinfoil:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The main thing I remember about Rage 1 is that it doesn't have an ending, it just crashes to a halt all of a sudden. It's like they brought in Neal Stephenson to write the script

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oh nice, I hope the patch really does fix the music timing because it's really bothersome. The OPL3 isn't as bad but it's still pretty bad. And I'd prefer general MIDI for a more "remastered" feel. I know the music ended up being way more complicated than anyone could've imagined but it was still a tough pill to swallow.

Also I just got up to the ice level and somehow got stuck right away and just quit instead. Hopefully this fixes that.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Rage 2 does Doom Eternals combat better than Doom Eternal does but it's a terrible sequel to Rage 1.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

DatonKallandor posted:

Rage 2 does Doom Eternals combat better than Doom Eternal does but it's a terrible sequel to Rage 1.

Yes those are both strong points in Rage 2's favor

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Rage 2 does Doom Eternals combat better than Doom Eternal

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

DatonKallandor posted:

Rage 2 is the real sequel to Doom 2016. :hmmyes:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I like Rage 2's combat more than Doom Eternal and I say this as a positive thing. Doom Eternal went too much into Dante Must Die difficulty for me. I really liked Doom Eternal and the DLCs but for me is a one and done forever.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
DOOM II > DOOM 64 > every other DOOM except DOOM 3 > RAGE series > DOOM 3

(imo)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DatonKallandor posted:

:wrong:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.polygon.com/24151045/microsoft-xbox-studio-closures-tango-gameworks-arkane-austin-redfall

quote:

Microsoft is closing four Bethesda studios: Redfall developer Arkane Austin, Mighty Doom developer Alpha Dog Studios, Hi-Fi Rush developer Tango Gameworks, and support studio Roundhouse Games.

Not directly "early FPS" - maybe Arkane's earlier work? - but those fuckers are making me even fear for id...
Just terrible all around in any case.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doom 64 over Ultimate Doom is nutso but I respect the hutzpah

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Angryhead posted:

https://www.polygon.com/24151045/microsoft-xbox-studio-closures-tango-gameworks-arkane-austin-redfall

Not directly "early FPS" - maybe Arkane's earlier work? - but those fuckers are making me even fear for id...
Just terrible all around in any case.

Roundhouse Games was the new name for Human Head after they ended up under Bethesda anyways. And they didn't even get to release anything. Absolute bullshit, the way the industry is loving everyone over.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

And they didn't even get to release anything.
After Rune 2, that might be a blessing in disguise.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Wasn't Hi-Fi Rush a surprise hit? gently caress the game industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ponzicar posted:

Wasn't Hi-Fi Rush a surprise hit? gently caress the game industry.

That's not really relevant; the studio owners believe they could be better spending their resources on pulls of the open world battle royale extraction shooter jackpot lever.