Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

He didn't refund because he couldn't play anymore, he refunded because of a 'legal agreement he doesn't accept'.

Yeah, between the weird rear end wording of it and the fact that he got a refund after putting nearly 100 hours into it, I thought the problem was some new policy about being able to ban you for shouting slurs at other players or something. I didn't actually know the game was effectively getting removed for a large chunk of the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mr. Fix It posted:

is this something that appeared in multiple stories, or is there one main "dad didn't let us have doors" abuse story?

My sister didn't have a door on her room for most of highschool because she kept getting busted smoking in her room because she couldn't go outside to smoke like any reasonable person.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Mr. Fix It posted:

is this something that appeared in multiple stories, or is there one main "dad didn't let us have doors" abuse story?

My 7 year old ADHD brother chopped it down with a hatchet when he was left alone and we were too poor to get a replacement.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I had a door but I wasn't allowed to close it, thus defeating the whole concept of why doors exist. I replaced it with a curtain made from construction paper loops and a cd player blasting early Industrial music.

My abusive autistic father could handle a lot but he couldn't handle creative disobedience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gF3gRuqzPs

I moved out when he threatened to kill me, so my methods to deal with him, looking back, may have been less than ideal lol

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Learning a lot about how to parent my kids when they get to teen years - thanks thread!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh, to be clear, teenagers should absolutely be allowed to close their door, and if they have younger siblings they should probably have a deadbolt as well. I just meant when a 13 year old boy is visiting with someone's 13 year old daughter, insisting the door isn't closed during those hours is not an insane request.

Punching a 13 year old in the face when that request isn't followed is loving insane.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Abusers who throw tantrums are like toddlers or cats, you can ignore them or you can redirect them.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

Punching a 13 year old in the face when that request isn't followed is loving insane.

I'm not a huge fan of cops but if an adult hits a child they deserve the full hosed up cop/jail/prison deal. I'm a degen with few morals BUT YOU DON'T ABUSE CHILDREN.

edit: yeah this is not the thread or the place or the time and y'all ain't my therapist so i'm not going to say more. love you all, never accept abuse

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 03:55 on May 7, 2024

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My parents absolutely never used it, but the door to my room in one of the houses I grew up in had the lock on the outside and you could tell by the cloud paint on the ceiling that it was used as a kid's room before which makes me think that the previous owners prob locked their kid in the room to punish them or some poo poo which seems like a good way to kill ur child during a fire.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I moved into a house where one of the bedroom doors had an external lock. The window in that room was nailed shut too.

You'll never guess what the first two fixes were...

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Desert Bus posted:

Abusers who throw tantrums are like toddlers or cats, you can ignore them or you can redirect them.

Yeah that’s why we established the police department

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I used to have to no problem for years leaving my door open or closed and unlocked, parents would just walk in no problem and i was fine with it

but then when i hit puberty i started masturbating and I learned the locks there for a reason, and my parents learned to start knocking

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr. Fix It posted:

My aunt wanted to remove all the doors in her house, but did relent when her kids insisted that she let them keep the bedroom and bathroom doors.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

My parents absolutely never used it, but the door to my room in one of the houses I grew up in had the lock on the outside and you could tell by the cloud paint on the ceiling that it was used as a kid's room before which makes me think that the previous owners prob locked their kid in the room to punish them or some poo poo which seems like a good way to kill ur child during a fire.

I'm an only child, so this is all second hand, but I had friends in highschool with padlocks on the outside of their door to keep younger siblings from loving with their poo poo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mr. Fix It posted:

The big one I remember is the story of a parent who had an open door policy and would barge into their kid's room at any and all times to "hang out" or "tidy up" depending on whether they were at home, while obviously actually intending to police their child. In that story, the kid installed a lock and then came home the next day to find their bedroom door completely removed, and got a lecture on how they had to earn back the right to having a door. That one had a happy-ish ending, though, since the kid was old enough that they could just decide to move out and live permanently with their other parent.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lmao he's from a party that split off from the liberal democrats because they weren't lovely enough for them

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrnXNwqWLUA

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm an only child, so this is all second hand, but I had friends in highschool with padlocks on the outside of their door to keep younger siblings from loving with their poo poo.

No it was like, the regular little turn lock thats in the door handle was on the other side of the door, all the other doors in the house are normal. It was def weird as hell

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If people need deadbolts/padlocks/deadly traps on their inside doors something is seriously hosed up.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I’ve seen that done with toddler’s rooms before, to keep them from getting up and wandering the house when everybody else is asleep. Doesn’t really seem any different than using a childproof doorknob cover or babygating them in or whatnot.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I never got in trouble for closing my bedroom door at any age. I did once get in trouble for bringing a friend home who supported the wrong football club.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Khizan posted:

I’ve seen that done with toddler’s rooms before, to keep them from getting up and wandering the house when everybody else is asleep. Doesn’t really seem any different than using a childproof doorknob cover or babygating them in or whatnot.

Why don't they just tie weights to the baby's legs

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Why don't they just tie weights to the baby's legs

This will eventually make the child too powerful, like sending them to the wheel of pain

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

You fool! That's how you make unstoppable mega-babies.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
My household had a "no open door" policy. Permanently. I am writing this post from a bunch of trained spiders who find the nearest computer for mFlies Flies Flies Yum Yum Yum

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

Khizan posted:

Yeah locking your toddler in their room is loving weird. We just put a gate at the end of the hallway so they can still get to the bathroom and not have to piss all over their room. We also leave a path to their toy room so if they do start wandering the without having to use the bathroom they'll hopefully pick playing with toys instead of the toilet.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Songbearer posted:

My household had a "no open door" policy. Permanently. I am writing this post from a bunch of trained spiders who find the nearest computer for mFlies Flies Flies Yum Yum Yum

You can't have a cat, Renfield.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I've solved the problem. the teenagers should be allowed to close the door but they have to naked so they can't hide anything.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

big nipples big life posted:

I've solved the problem. the teenagers should be allowed to close the door but they have to naked so they can't hide anything.

Hang on Drake, shouldn't you be coming up with a diss track?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Drake would say he has to be in the room with them dummy.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Tiggum posted:

My aunt wanted to remove all the doors in her house, but did relent when her kids insisted that she let them keep the bedroom and bathroom doors.

My dad wanted to remove all the doors, but I was too young to know how mom talked him out of it. We did have strict rules about what we were allowed to close our doors for, like changing clothes or using the toilet. Brushing teeth had to be with an open door. If dad thought we had had the door closed for too long, he'd barge in and lecture us about not closing the doors.

Dad did not close the doors, himself, including the bathroom.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Never being able to close your door is insane, I meant I understood the policy of not wanting a teenage boy alone with your teenage daughter in her room specifically. Obviously she should be able to be alone in her room with the door closed and it's abuse if a teenage girl is supposed to have no expectation of privacy in her own house.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

In b4 some goon asks "so its okay if a boy closes his door when a girl is over??"

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
We need more internet stupidity so I went to the richest deposit I could find.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Would you like a bottle of coke?

Seems so innocent but if we change the 'bottle' to 'line' and all of a sudden you see just how sinister the statement really is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The General posted:

In b4 some goon asks "so its okay if a boy closes his door when a girl is over??"

Everything I said applies equally if the genders are swapped. It is also okay if the parents have raised their child in such a manner as they don't have a problem with their daughter (or son) closing the door when they have someone over. I didn't have any of those restrictions and I doubt I would have if I had been a girl bringing home boys instead a boy bringing home girls.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

emSparkly posted:

We need more internet stupidity so I went to the richest deposit I could find.

I did wonder if the original question was referring to a black bear or some other species...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If you hear the racecar bed a-rockin', don't come a-knockin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Knormal posted:

I did wonder if the original question was referring to a black bear or some other species...

Fairly sure they're referring to the bear from the Canadian literary classic. But I can't find what type of bear it is. Probably a black bear. But could be a grizzly.