Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Go with Bryan Danielson vs Eddie Kingston from Revolution, a "standard" match but a really excellent, easy to understand one. Not too much of any one thing that it would give the impression that this is what wrestling is.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Animal-Mother posted:

Is there a concise, exemplary, standard wrestling match to show to a non-fan in order to demonstrate to them the gist of this poo poo?
Not necessarily. The easiest way to win them over is to take them to a show live.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bray Wyatt vs LA Knight in the Mountain Dew Pitch Black match

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Cena/Wyatt Firefly Funhouse Match and pause every 15 seconds to explain John Cena's past career at great length, demonstrating the way in which the average fan watches wrestling by engaging with it like a research paper

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Bret vs Owen at WrestleMania.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

Orange Cassidy vs PAC

This is the match that made my wife watch AEW every week.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pat Patterson vs Gerald Brisco, King of the Ring 2000

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

davidbix posted:

Not necessarily. The easiest way to win them over is to take them to a show live.

This is the actual answer.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Is there a concise, exemplary, standard wrestling match to show to a non-fan in order to demonstrate to them the gist of this poo poo?

New Jack vs. Gypsy Joe

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Bret vs Owen at WrestleMania.

This is a good answer

Kurt angle vs Brock lesner

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Sami Zayn vs Shinsuke Nakamura, NXT Takeover Dallas.

If the non-fan gets into it, then you can talk about how these two guys never wrestled each other before, and didn't even really talk about things beforehand. Just called it all in the ring.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Omega-Okada 1 or Bucks v Super Smash Bros v Future Shock PWG match. But, really

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

How concise?

House of Black vs. Bear Country & Fuego Del Sol is 5 minutes, has tons of styles all at once, evil heels, a couple fun hope spots, and you don't have to know any backstory. The story in the ring is clearly "oh holy poo poo, these guys are so outmatched, can they possibly pull it off?" And the answer is "no." Also it ends with an insanely sick Whale Hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uktp8iPNiY

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Go with Bryan Danielson vs Eddie Kingston from Revolution, a "standard" match but a really excellent, easy to understand one. Not too much of any one thing that it would give the impression that this is what wrestling is.

I was babysitting my 6 year old nephew last year and we watched this match. Not even on purpose, I had the show on while waiting for him to be dropped off and I guess it kept going on the cable box while we played video games. Anyway, eventually the pizza I ordered for dinner showed up so I switched to the cable feed and Danielson/Kingston had just started and the kid goes “ohhhhhhhh wrestling! Can we watch this??”

So I’m thinking like, poo poo man, this is gonna be a great match, this will probably change his life, and he’s so excited to watch this! So, in my typical cool uncle way I say “hell yeah little dude”.

I didn’t really remember the match, but it’s Danielson and Kingston, there’s no way it wouldn’t blow his socks off. And then they did a bunch of technically sound mat wrestling and around the ten minute mark, after eating a slice of pizza, my nephew sighs and says “… can we play video games? This is boring”

Unfortunately, the allure of Mario and Luigi was too strong that night. Next time…

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I guess the point is, if you wanna get someone into wrestling you probably should start off with something like this

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Another fun bite-sized thing with a ton of styles: the last 10 minutes of Aztec Warfare 2, from when Matanza Cueto is introduced to the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJja5iCVTYs

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Another fun bite-sized thing with a ton of styles: the last 10 minutes of Aztec Warfare 2, from when Matanza Cueto is introduced to the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJja5iCVTYs

This match is like in my top 10 of favorite matches. Just beautiful, glorious lucha.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

There’s never going to be one answer. Everyone is different (everyone is good) so you might catch one person’s interest with deathmatch spectacle poo poo and another’s with crazy Lucha stuff. My partner watches with me sometimes and we go to shows and while she can appreciate just really great wrestling, she said to me during the recent Dalton Castle/Johnny TV ROH match “this is the kind of poo poo I love in wrestling” because it leaned more camp and silly but still had wrestling in it.

The suggestion of taking someone to a show is probably the best one if it’s not cost prohibitive because there’s a chance you’ll see a little bit of everything.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah, you need something with big personalities and a bit of a gimmick. Showing my friend pretty joshis was an excellent gateway, but it wasn't until she saw a Dean Ambrose "deathmatch" that she got completely locked in. I don't even remember what match it was, and it was a WWE thing so there was only a little blood and a few ladder spots I think, but you could feel her whole vibe shift as she watched and she wouldn't stop talking about how cool wrestling was after.

Honestly I think there's a lot to be said about outside of highlights just seeing if someone wants to watch a weekly show or PPV and have a bit of a party around it. You never know what will hook someone. I got into wrestling because I thought it was cool that everyone had a leitmotif. My friend who regularly hits up his local independent shows started with the Raw after WrestleMania that ended with Lesnar returning to WWE and killing John Cena, and then he watched the Bossman/Big Show feud and knows the entire poem by heart. Just give it a whirl with some fun vibes and have a good time. Most people, provided you keep good company, aren't so jaded and cynical that they don't want to try and understand why someone they're friends with like something.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I’ve always used Rey/Eddy from Halloween Havoc as a first match for fans. They tell a story in the ring, Rey does some amazing poo poo, pretty short overall

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nehru the Damaja posted:

How concise?

House of Black vs. Bear Country & Fuego Del Sol is 5 minutes, has tons of styles all at once, evil heels, a couple fun hope spots, and you don't have to know any backstory. The story in the ring is clearly "oh holy poo poo, these guys are so outmatched, can they possibly pull it off?" And the answer is "no." Also it ends with an insanely sick Whale Hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uktp8iPNiY
Tony Khan's biggest mistake was releasing Fuego del Sol

Any day now he and Fuego Dos are probably going to reunite!!!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

Tony Khan's biggest mistake was releasing Fuego del Sol

Any day now he and Fuego Dos are probably going to reunite!!!

I love a hapless jobber with a bottomless heart. As huge as the roster is, there's still several guys I'd cut before even thinking of cutting Fuego.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I like Fuego but you have the far-less-connected-to-Sammy Serpentico right there.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

What’s wrong with Sammy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wasn't watching at the time, but why were Savio Vega and Chainz originally in the black power stable that they then broke away from?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I wasn't watching at the time, but why were Savio Vega and Chainz originally in the black power stable that they then broke away from?

Crush, Savio Vega and PG-13 were in the Nation of Domination as a smokescreen to say it wasnt just a black power stable

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Sandman from ECW posted:

What’s wrong with Sammy

this question keeps coming up lol. He said bad poo poo in the past, he has been involved in multiple altercations in the back, he's hurt the hardys multiple times, and he had a terrible face turn when he became tnt champ while also not being able to escape the Jericho vortex.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Alaois posted:

Crush, Savio Vega and PG-13 were in the Nation of Domination as a smokescreen to say it wasnt just a black power stable

I guess that makes sense, thank you.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sandman from ECW posted:

I was babysitting my 6 year old nephew last year and we watched this match. Not even on purpose, I had the show on while waiting for him to be dropped off and I guess it kept going on the cable box while we played video games. Anyway, eventually the pizza I ordered for dinner showed up so I switched to the cable feed and Danielson/Kingston had just started and the kid goes “ohhhhhhhh wrestling! Can we watch this??”

So I’m thinking like, poo poo man, this is gonna be a great match, this will probably change his life, and he’s so excited to watch this! So, in my typical cool uncle way I say “hell yeah little dude”.

I didn’t really remember the match, but it’s Danielson and Kingston, there’s no way it wouldn’t blow his socks off. And then they did a bunch of technically sound mat wrestling and around the ten minute mark, after eating a slice of pizza, my nephew sighs and says “… can we play video games? This is boring”

Unfortunately, the allure of Mario and Luigi was too strong that night. Next time…

This makes me think of a time when I was watching SummerSlam 2018 and my nephews (5 and 6) joined me for a bit during AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe. The initial reaction was, "Why is the naked man hugging the other naked man?"

At one point I was trying to explain the story behind the match by pointing out the little girl in the front row. "See that girl? That's AJ's daughter. Joe told her, 'I'm going to beat up your dad!'" And my oldest nephew was HORRIFIED because that was the most evil thing he had ever heard.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Shard posted:

this question keeps coming up lol. He said bad poo poo in the past, he has been involved in multiple altercations in the back, he's hurt the hardys multiple times, and he had a terrible face turn when he became tnt champ while also not being able to escape the Jericho vortex.

I feel like caring about any of this is a waste of time, but I appreciate the heads up

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Animal-Mother posted:

No.

This answer sucks but it's what it is. It depends massively on the person. Are they a child? Do they at least have some passing familiarity with the medium or are they totally new? What other poo poo are they into? Do they have the attention span of a gnat? Are they a horror film sicko or does the sight of blood make them queasy?

Like, obviously Omega Okada 1 is an awesome match but telling someone to spend 45 minutes on a match is just going to put a lot of people off. Ditto El Desperado vs Jun Kasai, deathmatches are loving dope as far as I'm concerned and this is near the top of the style but some people will see it and freak out. By the same token, showing someone a TV wrestling match, like some dope WCW lucha sprint, could work but they could also be put off by the commentators completely ignoring the action & insisting on talking about Hulk Hogan. One of my all-time favourite wrestling matches is Kobashi vs Sasaki from the NOAH Tokyo Dome show, where they just chop each other for eternity. I think that's absolutely captivating poo poo but I've watched it around others who aren't familiar with the artform & are just like "why is he letting him hit him? I'd defend myself" & just get totally taken out of it. I'd never recommend Hulk Hogan vs Andre from WM3 but clearly someone must've been brought into wrestling by it.

Bix is basically right. If you can get them to check a live show out, do that, be it a WWE house show or the local indy. If you can't, don't necessarily worry about showing them something from the past. Find something from this year, ideally something under 20 minutes so they don't feel like they are wasting their time. Or just invite them around when you're buying a Pay Per View & watch the whole show together with a pizza & some beers or whatever. Show them Ospreay vs Takeshita or something from CMLL like Mascara Dorada vs Templario or Barbaro Cavernario. Show them Fuminori Abe vs Hikaru Sato battering the ever loving poo poo out of each other for 18 minutes in front of a few hundred people. Or Sareee & Chihiro Hashimoto launching each other around the ring.

I'm poo poo at being concise, but wrestling is way too broad to just have one match that showcases it. Some wretched WWE slop is as valid as 2 guys forgetting that wrestling is a work or 6 guys doing all sorts of insane gymnastics onto one another or people rolling around on a board covered in razorblades.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anyone have the video of a Japanese wrestler chopping a line of fans? My memory and google failed me.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

Anyone have the video of a Japanese wrestler chopping a line of fans? My memory and google failed me.

Is it this one of Inoki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lw8_AKZW6I

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

forkboy84 posted:

No.

This answer sucks but it's what it is. It depends massively on the person. Are they a child? Do they at least have some passing familiarity with the medium or are they totally new? What other poo poo are they into? Do they have the attention span of a gnat? Are they a horror film sicko or does the sight of blood make them queasy?

Like, obviously Omega Okada 1 is an awesome match but telling someone to spend 45 minutes on a match is just going to put a lot of people off. Ditto El Desperado vs Jun Kasai, deathmatches are loving dope as far as I'm concerned and this is near the top of the style but some people will see it and freak out. By the same token, showing someone a TV wrestling match, like some dope WCW lucha sprint, could work but they could also be put off by the commentators completely ignoring the action & insisting on talking about Hulk Hogan. One of my all-time favourite wrestling matches is Kobashi vs Sasaki from the NOAH Tokyo Dome show, where they just chop each other for eternity. I think that's absolutely captivating poo poo but I've watched it around others who aren't familiar with the artform & are just like "why is he letting him hit him? I'd defend myself" & just get totally taken out of it. I'd never recommend Hulk Hogan vs Andre from WM3 but clearly someone must've been brought into wrestling by it.

Bix is basically right. If you can get them to check a live show out, do that, be it a WWE house show or the local indy. If you can't, don't necessarily worry about showing them something from the past. Find something from this year, ideally something under 20 minutes so they don't feel like they are wasting their time. Or just invite them around when you're buying a Pay Per View & watch the whole show together with a pizza & some beers or whatever. Show them Ospreay vs Takeshita or something from CMLL like Mascara Dorada vs Templario or Barbaro Cavernario. Show them Fuminori Abe vs Hikaru Sato battering the ever loving poo poo out of each other for 18 minutes in front of a few hundred people. Or Sareee & Chihiro Hashimoto launching each other around the ring.

I'm poo poo at being concise, but wrestling is way too broad to just have one match that showcases it. Some wretched WWE slop is as valid as 2 guys forgetting that wrestling is a work or 6 guys doing all sorts of insane gymnastics onto one another or people rolling around on a board covered in razorblades.

This is all true but the correct answer is this, and I guess the match surrounding it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAxJZi1w5no

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Totally forgot it was straight up face slaps.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Alaois posted:

The early aesthetic of the Nation of Domination was like a 90s action movie criminal syndicate. They're kinda like Streets of Rage bad guys, all connected by having Clarence Mason as a lawyer. Then Russo or whoever had the bright idea to split them up according to race and have them feud.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
What's your favorite non wrestling segments for shows? I have a soft spot in my heart for Babyface after being disgraced hunts down the heels or traps them in ridiculous traps. Like Stone Cold used to do and I think Kurt Angle did once or twice.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

There’s never going to be one answer. Everyone is different (everyone is good) so you might catch one person’s interest with deathmatch spectacle poo poo and another’s with crazy Lucha stuff. My partner watches with me sometimes and we go to shows and while she can appreciate just really great wrestling, she said to me during the recent Dalton Castle/Johnny TV ROH match “this is the kind of poo poo I love in wrestling” because it leaned more camp and silly but still had wrestling in it.

The suggestion of taking someone to a show is probably the best one if it’s not cost prohibitive because there’s a chance you’ll see a little bit of everything.

the answer is actually the My Way promo video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm going to be a curmudgeon and say I like interviews. Treat it like a real sport and just interview the wrestlers about the matches and what they mean to them.