Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

https://text.npr.org/1249047583
Possible TikTok ban could be 'an extinction-level event' for the creator economy

I like influencers because they are killing pop culture.
I don't have to know who they are, and nobody expects me to.
Everybody has their 15 minutes fans.

And if one of them turns out to be a rapist,
it easy for kids to dump them and find another one.

It was always lovely, that so many people are collected around a handful of websites.

An individual person's ability to store and stream a bunch of videos on their own personal website is still not cost effective.
And that's a real bottle neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Burma Shave

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Line breaks fall like
The silent petals of spring
In an unseen breeze

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

another brain fried by big haiku

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

pencilhands posted:

drat what the hell people suck im sorry

Yeah thanks. The way people act sometimes you'd think I had a mustache. Jk. I think my stature and hot topic femboy style throw people off. Most twinks aren't this tall.

In the laundromat case it was a note, we were never even in the room at the same time. So someone is triggered by who they're meeting overall in the very queer city and idk who.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Bought an LG tv from Costco and gigabit fiber from Verizon with their router and the network performance is so choppy. Apps will just drop connection and Jellyfin will refuse to connect to an instance running on a local device. The primary network on the router just doesn't work with this loving TV and I have to use the IOT network. The performance is the worst of all on the fastest radio, Shogun would blur out and come back every minute or so. The 2.4 primary network wouldn't be able to see anything.

I just moved so all my poo poo is just everywhere, otherwise I'd crosscheck with a Firestick and my other router to see which device is having the issue.

Also Paramount app is still laggy and horrible just like it was on the Firestick, so at least that much is consistent.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
gently caress smart TVs. I have a 48" 1080p, afraid is not going to be an option in the future; these go $4-500, fit in my poo poo little a to b Honda, and no sweat if it breaks because it's worth less than a cashier's tax refund.

Yeah anyway I have the same exact TV I had 10 years ago except now it has an Android phone inside it somewhere that's basically Amazon's little bitch, and as a result I get to see basically whatever they want me to. FOOTBALL

It's not total rear end, it does at least pull what I've been watching on prime video or flix onto its homepage so you can hit continue without opening an app.

Also the remote is janky and sometimes navigation keys result in a selection input, making navigating it feel like diffusing a bomb unless you know what you're doing.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

skooma512 posted:

Also Paramount app is still laggy and horrible just like it was on the Firestick, so at least that much is consistent.

I will excuse a lot, but the Paramount app is simply awful no matter what's running it. It's really impressive.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Not sure where to post this but I was watching Guy's Grocery Games while at the inlaws house. They were doing battle of the judges tournament where each of the judges were playing for charities. As each judge was eliminated, the host said they would still donate some cash to the charities anyway. Lots of good charities were mentioned like helping veterans with mental health issues and stuff like that. When the tournament was over and the winner was announced, they finally mentioned what charity would be receiving the cash prize...

Mother loving NPR.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

poemdexter posted:

Not sure where to post this but I was watching Guy's Grocery Games while at the inlaws house. They were doing battle of the judges tournament where each of the judges were playing for charities. As each judge was eliminated, the host said they would still donate some cash to the charities anyway. Lots of good charities were mentioned like helping veterans with mental health issues and stuff like that. When the tournament was over and the winner was announced, they finally mentioned what charity would be receiving the cash prize...

Mother loving NPR.

GOD drat FOOD SCHMOOZE.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Good NPR is good.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Door to door salespeople are getting out of control and they lie constantly. I don't know how they get people to sign up for anything.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Lately I've noticed youtube automatically putting me on garbage-tier video quality, both in browser across multiple computers and on my phone. For the first few minutes of a video it'll be 1080, but then it'll switch to like 480 or some poo poo. It defaults to Auto quality, which used to just be the highest quality that your internet speed would allow for seamless video - so occasionally you'd get quality dips if your internet was choppy or something, but then it would improve the quality as necessary. I assume most laymen don't give a poo poo about image quality and thus YouTube figures they'll just save money by auto playing poo poo quality. It's extra annoying on mobile cus you need to take an extra step to actually choose the specific video quality you want. I even set my app preference to default to "higher picture quality" and it changed nothing about the behavior, it just now says "Higher Picture Quality (480p)" lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Most people probably watch YT videos for like 30 seconds so maybe that is where they concentrate the bandwidth

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

moist banana bread posted:

Ah yes, this one! I'm a pedophile because:

- I moved your laundry at the laundromat
- I told you to get your kid off my shopping cart
- I led your lost and deliriously upset child to an employee

it's in media too, I saw a plot recently where characters in a show debate helping a clearly lost kid because someone might accuse them of being a molester and almost walk away - the 'good guy' moment is that they decide to help the kid despite the risk of becoming social pariahs. I was like what the gently caress is this, but also had to admit that'ssss....probably kinda accurate as a consideration nowadays.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

StrangersInTheNight posted:

it's in media too, I saw a plot recently where characters in a show debate helping a clearly lost kid because someone might accuse them of being a molester and almost walk away - the 'good guy' moment is that they decide to help the kid despite the risk of becoming social pariahs. I was like what the gently caress is this, but also had to admit that'ssss....probably kinda accurate as a consideration nowadays.

Oh this is definitely a thing, and I've had it happen. A kid was lost in the grocery store and I was the only one in that aisle. I just loudly said "oh hey buddy are you lost? Let's go find your mom" and just loudly asking what she looked like, etc until a couple aisles over some older woman thankfully took over for me and help him.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

CodfishCartographer posted:

Lately I've noticed youtube automatically putting me on garbage-tier video quality, both in browser across multiple computers and on my phone. For the first few minutes of a video it'll be 1080, but then it'll switch to like 480 or some poo poo. It defaults to Auto quality, which used to just be the highest quality that your internet speed would allow for seamless video - so occasionally you'd get quality dips if your internet was choppy or something, but then it would improve the quality as necessary. I assume most laymen don't give a poo poo about image quality and thus YouTube figures they'll just save money by auto playing poo poo quality. It's extra annoying on mobile cus you need to take an extra step to actually choose the specific video quality you want. I even set my app preference to default to "higher picture quality" and it changed nothing about the behavior, it just now says "Higher Picture Quality (480p)" lmao

YouTube Warns Ad Blockers Will Affect The Video Quality For Free Users

https://www.news18.com/tech/youtube-warns-ad-blockers-will-affect-the-video-quality-for-free-users-8672027.html

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I'm actually a Youtube Premium member, and don't have an adblocker on my phone, lmao

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Newpipe stays winning, I tell it what quality I want and it plays in that quality every time regardless of how Google feels about it or me

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

They just did the "Changing Antennae Technology" thing and I lost the only channel I watched regularly: Comet TV.

On the antenna, before the switch, it was part of the Fox listings, but not really. Just if Fox was channel 23, there was also a 23.2, 23.3 (Comet!) and a 23.4
Well, after the switch, 23.2 and 23.3 are gone. I rescan, move antennae, etc. Gone. 23 to 23.4

So I called the station, and for some reason the Director of Engineering called back the next day and had a lot to say! Much of what I didn't follow, but suffice it to say Comet is now under the PBS channel listing (so, like 10.4 or something), and I have never been able to get PBS.

I'm sure the new technology is cool or whatever, but BOO!

(also, imagine some 6 year old getting to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer now!)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Making a prediction that streaming services will jack up the price of the ad-free tiers a bunch, have the ad supported version go up to what ad-free used to be, and they'll make a free tier, but you get access to specific "playlists" or "channels" which aren't on demand and simply continuously play, but you'll always know that one of the shows you like is on at 6pm or whatever! To support this they'll have interstitial ads during the shows, and encourage you to buy the DVDs subscribe to the US$25/mo all you can stream tier, ad-free and on demand!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Internet Old One posted:

Door to door salespeople are getting out of control and they lie constantly. I don't know how they get people to sign up for anything.

yes they're hustle culture dudebros now and they're very pushy and irritating

like dude how are you gonna insinuate that I'm a wuss for NOT getting a security system?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

yes they're hustle culture dudebros now and they're very pushy and irritating

like dude how are you gonna insinuate that I'm a wuss for NOT getting a security system?

the local cable company is probably hemorrhaging customers since real fiber internet has been available for years, because those people show up knocking on the door once a month or so.

"can i get symmetric gigabit over cable yet?"
"well, no, but…"
"bye"

and their $49.95 tv packages (that i don't want anyway) are more like $80 a month after all the taxes and fees, and they don't even include sports networks anymore

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The_Franz posted:

the local cable company is probably hemorrhaging customers since real fiber internet has been available for years, because those people show up knocking on the door once a month or so.

"can i get symmetric gigabit over cable yet?"
"well, no, but…"
"bye"

and their $49.95 tv packages (that i don't want anyway) are more like $80 a month after all the taxes and fees, and they don't even include sports networks anymore

Ahh yes the local mom and pop cable company you all have one right? Mine goes by the name of Comcast you probably haven't heard of it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You are still (mostly) locked into cable if you like sports (local market )

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

syntaxfunction posted:

Making a prediction that streaming services will jack up the price of the ad-free tiers a bunch, have the ad supported version go up to what ad-free used to be, and they'll make a free tier, but you get access to specific "playlists" or "channels" which aren't on demand and simply continuously play, but you'll always know that one of the shows you like is on at 6pm or whatever! To support this they'll have interstitial ads during the shows, and encourage you to buy the DVDs subscribe to the US$25/mo all you can stream tier, ad-free and on demand!
I’m also making a prediction that the sun will rise tomorrow.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Predicting that streaming will become worse is pretty safe. I've only just started "viewing videos in the way most convenient for me," and it's shocking how much better it is than Netflix et. al. Excellent video and audio quality, subtitles, about 80% of stuff I want to see (compared to say, maybe 10% on Netflix, Disney, and Amazon combined), and it loads instantly with no bullshit. I know, it's been said.

If enshittification can affect piracy, I predict it will be in the form of crackdowns, network-non-neutrality, or hosting sites finding a way to force ads or viruses onto viewers, instead of semi-passively introducing them. If Microsoft and Apple can be persuaded, perhaps Trusted Computing will be used first to force people to abide by industry rules.

Be interesting to see them try.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I got a Roku Ultra less than a year ago and unlike previous models, the remote has a chargeable battery instead of aa batteries and now all of the sudden the thing won't charge. I plug it in and the light comes on like it's charging but then several hours later it's still at 9%. What was wrong with the aa batteries anyway? It's not like you needed to replace them frequently at all. It's not an X-Box controller.

Looked it up online and apparently this is a common problem.

And as previously posted, we live in the era where anything related to a TV is unusable without a remote. I have a blu-ray player and that remote stopped working and you can't even go up to it and press "play." It turns on and there's a menu you can't get past with any button on the player itself.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 8, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

cat botherer posted:

I’m also making a prediction that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Oh come on, I was a little more specific than that and added more details. You could have said "the sun will rise tomorrow, in the east" at the minimum.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I got a Roku Ultra less than a year ago and unlike previous models, the remote has a chargeable battery instead of aa batteries and now all of the sudden the thing won't charge. I plug it in and the light comes on like it's charging but then several hours later it's still at 9%. What was wrong with the aa batteries anyway? It's not like you needed to replace them frequently at all. It's not an X-Box controller.

Looked it up online and apparently this is a common problem.

And as previously posted, we live in the era where anything related to a TV is unusable without a remote. I have a blu-ray player and that remote stopped working and you can't even go up to it and press "play." It turns on and there's a menu you can't get past with any button on the player itself.

I try to get electronics that run via mains or replaceable battery for this very reason. The second they don't hold a charge, they're e-waste. What's that, you don't care because by then it'll be junk and you'll want another one? Then it's already e-waste in the making, consider life without it.

More of a guideline than a hard and fast rule, of course. For many things, there's no choice: I do need a phone, but I don't actually need wireless earbuds, however cool they are.

For a Roku, new models will come out with faster processors and more RAM or whatever, and they'll actively disable ("stop supporting") the old one or just push the newer, less efficient front end to older models so they run like poo poo (the Amazon Fire Stick approach).

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Funnily enough I try and get stuff with rechargeable internal batteries because I hate having to deal with charging double or triple As.

I love my kitchen scales, but they take 3 AA batteries. My charger will only charge 2 together, and if one of those is already full then it doesn't work. I have nothing that takes 1 battery, it's frustrating.

The solution is to use disposables, but at that point we're no better off.

Edit: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/LiPo-battery-replacement-on-the-Roku-Voice-Remote-Pro/td-p/878642

Remote fixing stuff here.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 8, 2024

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I hate how every electronic that can, will one day receive a terminal upgrade.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

euphronius posted:

You are still (mostly) locked into cable if you like sports (local market )

I only like getting things for free and not paying for things

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Now the last time I said this I came in too hot and the thread responded in kind, so this time I'm just gonna gently whisper that I am again asking you to consider getting a phone with an IR blaster and a remote app, and never again having to give a poo poo about where any given remote is or what its charging status might be.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I lose my phone all the time

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
breakfast place near me with amazing biscuits & gravy closed. RIP

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

breakfast place near me with amazing biscuits & gravy closed. RIP

this is joe bidens america.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
On the topic of enshittification of the internet:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/05/prime-video-subs-will-soon-see-ads-for-amazon-products-when-they-hit-pause/

Prime Video subs will soon see ads for Amazon products when they hit pause

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Nettle Soup posted:

Funnily enough I try and get stuff with rechargeable internal batteries because I hate having to deal with charging double or triple As.

I love my kitchen scales, but they take 3 AA batteries. My charger will only charge 2 together, and if one of those is already full then it doesn't work. I have nothing that takes 1 battery, it's frustrating.

The solution is to use disposables, but at that point we're no better off.

Edit: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/LiPo-battery-replacement-on-the-Roku-Voice-Remote-Pro/td-p/878642

Remote fixing stuff here.

this is a good 4-battery charger that can do all sorts and also shows info like health and can test them https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SNWMQ40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The people who run these services view it this way:

Any satisfaction the average consumer gets from their service behind the razor-thin 1% edge it has over doing something else, or nothing at all, is money left on the table. The more insight they are given into people's preferences and motivations, the more accurately they will pare down whatever it is people enjoy about their service, diluting it with ads, increasing the cost, decreasing the quality, until it is only barely preferable to the alternative.

If you want to imagine the future, imagine a camera watching a human finger poised over the "change channel" button, forever.