Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
.....And here I thought sixty new posts meant something interesting had happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Raenir Salazar posted:

No? If you eat a cookie from the jar without permission, and I threaten you with consequences if you do it again, you did not magically get away with eating a cookie just because you conform to the demand being made. That's a silly zero-sum way of looking at a complex situation.

How often do normal shoplifters or drug sellers get to repeatedly threaten judges, prosecutors and their families? Like, Trump is calling for people to attack this judges daughter, what is there to be done?

"You ought to go after this attorney general: [posts AG's home address]", what is there to be done?

He is knowingly trying to excite people into killing his enemies and people are actually being caught plotting and attempting to kill victims he targets, please do not talk past this point.

He is a danger who is constantly threatening the courts, prosecutors, witnesses and all their families with violence, this is not his first violation; threats of potential consequences are not, themselves, consequences; a billionaire lost a few thousand, these are not the consequences that should result from his actions nor do they impact him; he has been and is still acting without consequences and wrongly holding up a dictionary like its a bible will not change this.

This was like his 14'th cookie from this specific jar, one jar of many that he has taken from; a constant stream of violations and contempt, like a half dozen judges fleeing their homes and sleeping elsewhere out of fear, what is there to be done?

Trump publically declares court staff and prosecutors (and all those who do not defer to power) as Enemies to go after while like publicly sharing their families' names and addresses. Considering the continued contempt and threats, the known potential for violence, and his position of confrontational reverence in many terrorist groups, he needs to be detained with special administration rules to limit his communications.

A leader's incitement against the courts as Trump often does is right out of the Illinois Nazi playbook, such communications are something that we can act to both prevent and prosecute against. Here is an example sharing elements with Trump's current cases, where a leader's incarceration, with special rules to limit communication, was applied as a (unsuccessful) preventative measure:

Matthew Hale, Illinois Nazi posted:

You know, my position has always been that I, you know, I’m going to fight within the law, but my information has been provided. If you wish to do anything yourself, you can.

["Consider it done"]

Good.
Hale was the leader of a group engaged in depriving minorities of their civil rights through threats, violence and hate crimes, they claimed the ability to do so as one of their own civil rights. This group is where the term "RaHoWa," a call for racial holy war, originated.

Due to knowingly inflammatory statements being made concerning a judge, Hale was incarcerated and special measures were imposed to reduce his ability to communicate with his followers. Such measures limit a prisoner’s communication when the Attorney General determines that there is a substantial risk that contact with people other than their lawyers, immediate family or prison officials could pose a threat to people in the outside world.

Attorney Glenn Greenwald said the charges against Matthew Hale stemmed from a misinterpretation of Hale’s statement that "we are in a state of war with Judge Lefkow," referring to a judge who had ruled against Hale.

"The FBI may have interpreted this protected speech as a threat against a federal judge, but it’s nothing more than some heated rhetoric," Greenwald said.

Greenwald was a friend who represented Hale and his Illinois Nazis in every civil legal matter they faced in over five years for free, he argued Hale's bar appeal in an attempt to empower Hale as an attorney.

Greenwald compared the incarceration order to earlier lawsuits against Hale and the group that he faced, like the litigation after a white-supremacist spree killed over a dozen people in revenge for Hale's bar denial: "All they can say Matt Hale did then is express the view that Jews and blacks are inferior," he said. "There's just no question that expressing those views is a core First Amendment activity." (Greenwald added, "I find that the people behind these lawsuits [minority victims' families] are truly so odious and repugnant, that it creates its own motivation for me.")

During Hale's incarceration Greenwald was asked by Hale to relay coded messages to the outside neo-nazis: "The message was almost a cartoonish version of what a coded message would be," he said. "It was two or three sentences that were very cryptic and impossible to understand in terms of what they were intended to convey."

"It was a message for Greenwald about a letter that Matt had written him," Hale's mother recalled. "I said, 'Matt, this doesn't make sense to me.' He said, 'Greenwald will understand, ask him to read the letter.'"

Six weeks later, Judge Lefkow's husband and mother were found killed in her home following her address being shared online by the group; Greenwald did not report these coded messages until the FBI confronted him about them months later, finally recalling neither content nor intended recipient and violating the special administrative measures and his duty as an officer of the court.

"Of course, it is very important that I be able to say truthfully that I have never advocated anything illegal."

Hale is serving 40 years in prison after being convicted of plotting to kill three attorneys who had sued his group and Judge Lefkow, who had ruled against him.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

.....And here I thought sixty new posts meant something interesting had happened.

One very fine day, you will open up the Awful app on your phone and see "1642" new posts. You will know that something good happened. With one eye closed, you will scroll through the posts and see more emojis and 1-liners than you ever thought possible on the Trump Legal Troubles thread. All of the forums convened on this thread and celebrated as Trump was found guilty of every single crime imaginable and hauled away while he literally howled like a DOG. Twitter is not loading. Even NY Times is having trouble keeping up. For as Trump gets led away in handcuffs, his very visible, very full diaper steals everyone's hearts. Eric Trump walks behind him trying to hide his daddy's diaper while crinkling his nose. You check r/conservative and it barely loads. You manage to see one post - "Actually, Full Diapers are Pretty Alpha! 🐶 AWOO! " You walk over to the fridge and start making yourself a sandwich to eat while you read both the Trump thread and r/conservative at the same time. You then remembered that you bought the good juice last week and you'll be damned if you're not going to drink it for the holiest of occasions. You can't stop smiling as you make the sandwich and pour the good juice in the good glass. Maybe afterwards, you'll play a video game with this thread open.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

Nah, nothing ever happens with any of this. It's always just Trump pissing off the courts and the courts doing barely anything about it.

It'll be that way until Trump's heart finally explodes from decades of fast food and zero exercise. Or until he wins the Presidency and begins actively trying to destroy the government and replace it with who-loving-knows what.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

atriptothebeach posted:

How often do normal shoplifters or drug sellers get to repeatedly threaten judges, prosecutors and their families? Like, Trump is calling for people to attack this judges daughter, what is there to be done?

"You ought to go after this attorney general: [posts AG's home address]", what is there to be done?

It would help your argument a lot if Trump had actually said or posted any of the things you're claiming that he said.

For example, Trump never called for people to attack the judge's daughter. He posted that the judge's daughter owns a Democratic political firm and makes money from negative news about Trump, which is more or less accurate. As far as I'm aware, that's all he said about her!

Does any negative attention at all from Trump increase the risk of her being targeted by crazy people? Probably! Does that mean that any negative attention from Trump legally qualifies as threats? Under existing Supreme Court precedent, no.

Does the judge recognize it as concerning? Yes. That's why he expanded the gag order to cover his daughter as well. But as a general rule of thumb, people typically have a First Amendment right to publicly accuse the judge of being corrupt, as long as they don't do it when they're sitting right there in the courtroom.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

small butter posted:

One very fine day, you will open up the Awful app on your phone and see "1642" new posts. You will know that something good happened. With one eye closed, you will scroll through the posts and see more emojis and 1-liners than you ever thought possible on the Trump Legal Troubles thread. All of the forums convened on this thread and celebrated as Trump was found guilty of every single crime imaginable and hauled away while he literally howled like a DOG. Twitter is not loading. Even NY Times is having trouble keeping up. For as Trump gets led away in handcuffs, his very visible, very full diaper steals everyone's hearts. Eric Trump walks behind him trying to hide his daddy's diaper while crinkling his nose. You check r/conservative and it barely loads. You manage to see one post - "Actually, Full Diapers are Pretty Alpha! 🐶 AWOO! " You walk over to the fridge and start making yourself a sandwich to eat while you read both the Trump thread and r/conservative at the same time. You then remembered that you bought the good juice last week and you'll be damned if you're not going to drink it for the holiest of occasions. You can't stop smiling as you make the sandwich and pour the good juice in the good glass. Maybe afterwards, you'll play a video game with this thread open.

This would unironically be a day I'd remember for decades. :allears:

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Main Paineframe posted:

It would help your argument a lot if Trump had actually said or posted any of the things you're claiming that he said.

For example, Trump never called for people to attack the judge's daughter. He posted that the judge's daughter owns a Democratic political firm and makes money from negative news about Trump, which is more or less accurate. As far as I'm aware, that's all he said about her!

Does any negative attention at all from Trump increase the risk of her being targeted by crazy people? Probably! Does that mean that any negative attention from Trump legally qualifies as threats? Under existing Supreme Court precedent, no.

Does the judge recognize it as concerning? Yes. That's why he expanded the gag order to cover his daughter as well. But as a general rule of thumb, people typically have a First Amendment right to publicly accuse the judge of being corrupt, as long as they don't do it when they're sitting right there in the courtroom.

Something normal that someone said online five years ago, that was hunted down by Trump's team, posted:

I’ve actually had a couple conversations with my dad recently where he’s kind of like ‘I hate that politicians use Twitter,’ and like ‘It’s so unprofessional’ and you know, ‘That’s not how a politician should behave themselves,’ and I explain that like yeah, I think there are a lot of instances where it is not used in, like, when our President tweets anything that he thinks, and like that’s not what he should be using it for.

bad trump posts posted:

Judge Juan Merchan is totally compromised, and should be removed from this TRUMP Non-Case immediately. His Daughter [Names removed] is a Rabid Trump Hater who has admitted to having conversations with her father about me, and yet he gagged me.
-

So, let me get this straight, the Judge’s Daughter is allowed to post pictures of her ‘dream’ of putting me in jail [but she didn't post that...] but I am not allowed to talk about the attacks against me, and the Lunatics trying to destroy my life and prevent me from winning the 2024 Presidential Election, which I am dominating?
-

Maybe the Judge is such a hater because his Daughter makes money by working to Get Trump, and when he rules against me over and over again, he is making her company, and her, richer and richer. How can this be allowed?

He is not making founded or legitimate claims of judicial corruption, Trump begins against the judge's daughter the day the judge barred him from directing public attacks against prosecutors, court staff, and any of their family members.

She isn't like like cashing-in by any specific news of him like so and no it is not really accurate to frame it like this. She works advocacy, advertisement and digital campaigning for abortion, immigration and equal justice groups and like many others she also makes facebook ads for candidates during elections. She is not some national public or political figure interfering with the case, "...which is more or less accurate" you do not actually gotta hand it to Trump attacking her.

Trump attached her name and photos with his public rants specifically for willing followers to be able to target her, intentionally so that an undeferential judge's family would be in fear.

"Any negative attention from Trump at all" is NOT a useful hypothetical standard when we can judge specific inflammatory lies against uninvolved people with names and photos attached. Such things very well can qualify as actionable threats.
-

"You ought to go after this attorney general," shares AG's address shortly afterwards

^there i fixed my line for u but its the same

Trump publically shared the AG's home address after earlier saying multiple things such as "you ought to go after this attorney general," Trump was specifically speaking towards inciting white supremacists by adding that the AG was motivated by anti-white racism

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Newly unsealed grand jury testimony from Trump’s valet helps explain FBI’s desire to search Mar-a-Lago

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/07/politics/mar-a-lago-trump-nauta-classified-documents/index.html

quote:

Donald Trump’s valet told investigators before the FBI searched Mar-a-Lago in 2022 that he randomly chose boxes of documents to return to the National Archives and Trump himself directed that dozens more boxes located at the resort wouldn’t be returned, according to recently unsealed court filings.

The filings reviewed by CNN shed new light on the critical role that Walt Nauta, now Trump’s co-defendant in the classified documents case, played in giving the FBI justification to execute the search warrant on the former president’s Florida resort.

Nauta testified to a grand jury two months before the August 2022 search about boxes he took from Mar-a-Lago’s storage room in January 2022.

When one grand juror asked Nauta if he would “just pick some off the top,” Nauta said “yes,” according to a newly unsealed transcript and unredacted FBI search warrant affidavit.

At one point in the process of choosing boxes for Trump to review before returning them to the Archives, Nauta said that Trump “was like, okay, that’s it.”

Nauta’s account was corroborated by a second witness, whose identity is not publicly known. Both said that Trump gave the direction not to give the National Archives any more boxes.

So there you go. It's not Trump wanted to keep anything specific for any known reason, he just didn't want to be told what he can cannot do

quote:

The recently unsealed filings show that investigators spoke to dozens of witnesses and obtained information about the inner workings at Mar-a-Lago and Trump’s White House that were not included in the initial charging documents against Trump and Nauta but could be used at trial. In particular, the filings add to the picture around how the FBI knew there were additional boxes at Trump’s club that likely contained classified records.

Nauta grand jury testimony could be used at trial against Trump

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

BiggerBoat posted:

Newly unsealed grand jury testimony from Trump’s valet helps explain FBI’s desire to search Mar-a-Lago

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/07/politics/mar-a-lago-trump-nauta-classified-documents/index.html

So there you go. It's not Trump wanted to keep anything specific for any known reason, he just didn't want to be told what he can cannot do
Presumably if the valet says they were picked at random Trump was doing something like rolling three dice and picking the boxes out of a three dimensional array based on the numbers that came up, thus preventing him from conducting any kind of sophisticated manipulation like keeping the important boxes a bit further back and "giving up" before they'd been moved.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Maybe they should have gotten a warrant to search Gary Gygax's home.

"Behold, a chart used to determine what classified documents are stored in this box. They say this was written by Gygax himself!"

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The deck of many crimes

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

Maybe they should have gotten a warrant to search Gary Gygax's home.

"Behold, a chart used to determine what classified documents are stored in this box. They say this was written by Gygax himself!"

not sure I'd touch any boxes there, might be mimics

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Raenir Salazar posted:

That's a silly zero-sum way of looking at a complex situation.

And yet it's how Trump looks at every situation.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-americans-who-died-at-war-are-losers-and-suckers/615997/

GlyphGryph posted:

Yes, and when it's very clear what people mean by that word or phrase, as it is here, so you should generally not try to pretend they mean something else because you find it rhetorically useful. Trying to change definitions in the middle of a discussion is, to put it lightly, a dick move.

Some people are prescriptivists and need to get over the fact that language is more complex than they would like it to be. You can usually find them citing the dictionary very selectively to make a useless point.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Judging by his impotent rant last night it's going to be a major witness today https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1787821908416745517

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The tears are delicious.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's fun to imagine him shocked and dismayed but I'm pretty sure he would have posted that no matter who the witness was or how much advance notice he got

mclem
Oct 2, 2021

jarlywarly posted:

The deck of many crimes

50 feet of hempen tie.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Tesseraction posted:

Judging by his impotent rant last night it's going to be a major witness today https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1787821908416745517

i would make a terrible reporter because i would not be able to recite this on air without adding 'shut the gently caress up'

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Are Trump’s lawyers receiving proper advance notice but being directed by the court not to tell him? Much funnier that way.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

red19fire posted:

Are Trump’s lawyers receiving proper advance notice but being directed by the court not to tell him? Much funnier that way.

Seems they don't know either because he's whining about them having no time to prepare.

I guess it would be implausible to have something you can't tell your client, so in this case he made his own legal case harder to defend because he could not shut the gently caress up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The prosecution doesn’t actually have to share exactly when they’re calling who, it’s just a courtesy, and they’ve declined to extend that to the defense. They’re still disclosing who they’re calling in general, they’re just not being as nice about it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tesseraction posted:

Seems they don't know either because he's whining about them having no time to prepare.

I guess it would be implausible to have something you can't tell your client, so in this case he made his own legal case harder to defend because he could not shut the gently caress up.

He's had months to prepare. Opposing counsel always has to notify you of what witnesses they are planning to call. There's no such thing as a "surprise witness" you often see in TV/movies, at least in American courts, since that would violate several protections ensured by the Constitution.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean imagine if he gets into the courtroom today to see Don Jr with a black eye on the witness stand.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
why was trump arguing he didn't write the book? Surely those quotes aren't evidence?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

BiggerBoat posted:

The "My Boxes!" theory of crime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/1787839135308202274

The People demand to know about that dick

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Not going onto Truth to check, but supposedly Trump deleted the referenced post an hour ago or so. So seems like he is now watching what he says in order not to be jailed.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Donkringel posted:

Not going onto Truth to check, but supposedly Trump deleted the referenced post an hour ago or so. So seems like he is now watching what he says in order not to be jailed.

I posted a much better response but deleted it before anyone saw it, so it sadly won't count under Contempt of Court rules I guess.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

haveblue posted:

It's fun to imagine him shocked and dismayed but I'm pretty sure he would have posted that no matter who the witness was or how much advance notice he got

I mean, he probably has no idea what value any witness has. The janitor at Trump Tower, Michael Cohen, the valet, Stormy Daniels? Who didn't he crime with?

His actual grievance, aside from being charged, is that he wasn't afforded days of posting vitriolic slander about them.

She'll take the stand in Toad cosplay.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought America believed in Free Speech.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

There won't be much to talk about.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Don't think I saw it mentioned yesterday, so for content:

https://twitter.com/AnnaBower/status/1787644150826844644?t=8wiHoS5BVYLL4YY9-e1XDA&s=19

Trump's doc trial is on hold again. Ostensibly it was supposed to start in two weeks (it was not going to start in two weeks) since Cannon hadn't held a scheduling conference since the start of March.

This new delay is in regard to a motion that has some extremely minor validity to it. In that it includes events that happened in observable reality, even though those events barely matter.

Apparently when the fbi was collecting all the piles of classified documents from Mar-a-lago they kind of shifted some items around in boxes. They replaced classified documents with sheets explaining 'a classified document was here' but then ran out of those and started using pieces of paper.

While organizing and documenting everything, the contents of certain boxes changed order which, yeah. You have a box with index cards and hundreds of pieces of loose paper, some of it is going to get shifted around.

Unfortunately Smith's team appears to have lied about that. They had previously represented to Cannon (back in the special Master phase a couple of years ago) that the boxes were exactly ordered as found, but now they had to admit that no, some things seem to have been moved around.

This is, of course, proof of prosecutoral misconduct and Jack Smith should be jailed for tampering with evidence.

Jokes aside, it will probably delay the trial by months while Cannon carefully weighs whether or not 'a couple items shifting in this box full of classified documents' is worth throwing out the entire case.

The trial is expected to begin on infrastructure week.

Edit: also, fun fact. Trump was indicted in June of last year. Bob Menendez was indicted in September (and October again) and is expected to start his trial next week.

Caros fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 7, 2024

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

zoux posted:

The People demand to know about that dick
Nothing about dick, but there is something about rear end:

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The reporting that I saw was that the contents were not put back by the special master when reviewing evidence, not necessarily by the FBI themselves. The special master was there at the request of trump's team.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DTurtle posted:

Nothing about dick, but there is something about rear end:

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1787864974720688329

This guy only loves one person in the world other than himself and it's his daughter that he wants to have sex with.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

final_warning_v2_final_final.DOC

now officially up to final_warning_v2_final_final.DOC(FINAL)2.DOC

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Every bit of Stormys testimony is delicious

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1787864653445374254

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007