Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the Holminster Switch is a superb first dungeon and it's a really interesting momentum switch. We've seen just how horribly hosed things are, but now we can fight it! Once again it's the game making the player feel empowered and like they have a good amount of agency in the world, even as they follow a set path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I really, really love the lyrics to Tomorrow and Tomorrow. It makes every time I return to the Crystarium and hear it a joy. I think it really gives more and more the more of the story I played.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

ProfessorCirno posted:

As I understand, the desired timeline was: We set poo poo up in both worlds, and right as poo poo in the First starts to boil, we slam on the Elf Pope. And then we, uh, murdered the Elf Pope, which meant all that Light Aether did not go into the Source, it stayed in the First. And started to rage out of control. Which means, when Elidibus and Ardbert showed up, the ascians had hosed up real bad, and had (potentially) broken another shard. By sending Minfilia to the First, you did save the Shard...but in turn, you threatened the entire Source by re-arming the Ascians. And now you're seeing how that potentially pays off.
Yep, that's exactly my understanding too. It also means that, for all of Thordan's posturing about supposedly outplaying the Ascians by seizing power for himself, he'd actually been doing exactly what they wanted the whole time. He thought their goal was to manipulate him to use his Primal form to do something they wanted, when all along the Primal form wasn't simply the means to some nebulous end but their real goal in and of itself. As soon as Thordan feasted on the Warring Triad, the Ascians would have won regardless of what Thordan did next.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Holminster Switch is a really fun first dungeon for an expansion. A couple of things that stand out:
  • The section between the second and third bosses, with the large courtyard to clear, was a really interesting change of pace. You're fighting the same amount of trash packs as between other bosses and you probably take about the same amount of time, but cramming them all into one courtyard and forcing you to slow down and clear them out a group at a time really sells the sheer number of sineaters that are attacking the village.
  • The first two bosses both have attack names heavily themed around torture instruments; Forgiven Dissonance has Pillory, Brazen Bull, Thumbscrew and Wooden Horse while Tesleen has the Scold's Bridle, Fevered Flagellation and Exorcise (plus the slightly less sinister "The Tickler"). As Sanguinia noted with the naming of the trash packs in the first area, the sineaters think - to whatever extent they can think - that they are here to punish.
  • Philia's attack names don't follow this convention and are fairly generic (Headcrusher, Pendulum, etc.) with one exception: Taphephobia, or the fear of being buried alive. I don't know what to make of that except to think that it's hinting at the backstory of whoever became Philia, but it makes my skin crawl.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Hogama posted:

Alisaie will also drop everything to Verraise Alphinaud if he happens to get knocked out. And while it may or may not be "intentional" behavior, Alisaie is slightly more prone to getting clipped by AoE as she finishes her attacks before moving to safety.
She even sometimes not-quite-dodges attacks to make Alphi heal her. As in, she moves to the edge of the effect but stops short of actually being out of it, and only does this if he's in the party too.

Essentially, using the twins together in a Trust is actively detrimental to performance.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 7, 2024

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

For what it's worth, the only detail the fight seems to give about Philia's past suggests Philia was a woman at one point.

The raidwide is named "Scavenger's Daughter".

As for the Taphephobia/Fear of Being Buried Alive, the Philia Triple Triad Card might have a clue.

Yapping Eevee posted:

She even sometimes not-quite-dodges attacks to make Alphi heal her. As in, she moves to the edge of the effect but stops short of actually being out of it.

Essentially, using the twins together in a Trust is actively detrimental to performance.

I have died as a tank because Alphinaud prioritises healing Alisaie and the AI are bad at big pulls (especially in Holminster Switch).

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Staggy posted:

[*]Philia's attack names don't follow this convention and are fairly generic (Headcrusher, Pendulum, etc.) with one exception: Taphephobia, or the fear of being buried alive. I don't know what to make of that except to think that it's hinting at the backstory of whoever became Philia, but it makes my skin crawl.[/list]

Lord_Magmar posted:

For what it's worth, the only detail the fight seems to give about Philia's past suggests Philia was a woman at one point.

The raidwide is named "Scavenger's Daughter".

As for the Taphephobia/Fear of Being Buried Alive, the Philia Triple Triad Card might have a clue.

I have died as a tank because Alphinaud prioritises healing Alisaie and the AI are bad at big pulls (especially in Holminster Switch).
The "scavenger's daughter" is actually a torture tool, which means that Philia does follow the naming convention of the other two bosses, though only a little.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

GilliamYaeger posted:

The "scavenger's daughter" is actually a torture tool, which means that Philia does follow the naming convention of the other two bosses, though only a little.

Huh, fair enough. On that front though I feel like Headcrusher and Pendulum still sound like methods of Torture to me, although not specific tool names. To that end chain down does too, and a Knout is a Russian Whip intended primarily for fatal flogging.

Fierce Beating also sounds as much like a method of torture as anything else, the only really unfitting names for the Torture theme are Aethersup and Into the Light.

Pendulum in particular puts in mind the swinging lowering axe fantasy likes, and Headcrusher as a slower "twist a screw to clamp wood down on someone's skull/head" thing.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 7, 2024

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Staggy posted:

(plus the slightly less sinister "The Tickler").
Given the team's love of Game of Thrones, The Tickler might be a reference to the torturer bearing the selfsame name. It might also be a reference to the cane used to beat Pip in Dickens' Great Expectations.

quote:

Philia's attack names don't follow this convention and are fairly generic (Headcrusher, Pendulum, etc.)

GilliamYaeger posted:

The headcrusher is actually an early torture device as well.

quote:

This metal device featured a plate that sat below the victim's jaw, which was connected by a frame to the head cap. As the torturer slowly twisted the handle, the gap between the head cap and plate decreased, crushing the skull
And while the actual pendulum isn't the elaborate setup described in Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum, it is a known torture device as well.

quote:

With the help of a rope, the victim's wrists were tied behind his back. As the torturer turned the handle, the rope slowly elevated eventually dislocating the victim's shoulders.

This was very seldom a lethal torture method, as torturers used the pendulum mostly for inflicting psychological fear to extract confessions before actually hurting the victim.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

ProfessorCirno posted:

I was on the edge of my goddamn seat when I played through this content, and I think I gasped at my WoL splitting the sky. It's such a strong scene. I was also lucky and it was night when the CS had ended, allowing me to wander over to the Crystarium and enjoy it's night theme, which still hits me pretty decently after the fact. There's also so many little things here, but I do want to laugh a bit at Heart Stealing Ali there. I'm sure she'll get over her WoL crush soon enough, and her growing fanbase of women might help that along.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everything about Holminster Switch lands absolutely perfectly, on an emotional level it's an incredibly hard-hitting first dungeon for an expansion.

And you get to do the Cutscene Thing! I love it when you see a cool thing in a trailer and actually get to do it.

lmao

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Staggy posted:

Holminster Switch is a really fun first dungeon for an expansion. A couple of things that stand out:
The section between the second and third bosses, with the large courtyard to clear, was a really interesting change of pace. You're fighting the same amount of trash packs as between other bosses and you probably take about the same amount of time, but cramming them all into one courtyard and forcing you to slow down and clear them out a group at a time really sells the sheer number of sineaters that are attacking the village.

It's one pack after another,you can't even multipull, making this section a pace killer that just slows you down so that the dungeon takes 20 minutes.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Incredible

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

What I'm learning from this is there are far more methods of torture than I first appreciated.

And while I suppose being buried alive could in and of itself be a generic torture method, thinking about it does now bring to mind (given the mention of Poe) The Cask of Amontillado, if that counts as "burying".

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

For the love of Hydaelyn, Montressor

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

incredible

how has no one done a virgin Alphinaud/chad Alisae meme yet

I did find this during the search, though

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

It's not the most impressive vista within the game, but that first view across the fields when you get over that little hill after the first boss fight really sells Holminster Switch. The little path winding its way to the village between the fences and the rolling green would make a postcard motive in our world and instead you've got fire and smoke in the distance and the fields dotted with sin eater eggs and the dead.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

dyslexicfaser posted:

incredible

how has no one done a virgin Alphinaud/chad Alisae meme yet

I did find this during the search, though

The Roe Scions is a thing with almost every member afaik, there's also the Lalafell ones (who extend to other cast members, I'm pretty sure there's a Gaius Baelsmol or some such)

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
The rock version of Insatiable that plays for midbosses is usually referred to as "Insatiable (Scions and Sinners)," since Scions and Sinners is the FF14 remix album where it appears. The album wasn't released until well after the track was added to Dissidia; I would guess that The Primals recorded it for that album, but it happened to debut in Dissidia first.

dyslexicfaser posted:

I was really baffled to find they'd set the Trailer Boss as the first boss of the first dungeon. She's not even a Light Warden! Literally a speedbump.

To be fair, she's already not particularly unique, since her model is taken from an ARR dungeon enemy, like the other two monsters we see in the ShB trailer. Expansion CG trailers are locked in about a year before before the expansion ships, and one consequence of that is that they generally don't feature many monster models that aren't directly based on existing ones, which in some cases can be a little misleading.

Hogama posted:

As a dungeon run without Duty Support, though, I will say this one tended to be a rude awakening for teams wall-pulling with the various changes 5.0 brought (and can still catch newbies off-guard, regardless), because some of the combined pulls hit dang hard.

On top of the generally spicy pulls, Holminster Switch is also notorious for parties wiping thanks to overconfident healers who run the first available dungeon as Sage as soon as they unlock the job without actually knowing how to play it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's a funny meme but this happened just as much in ShB before sage even existed.

The dungeon is generally punishing if you're on a healer you haven't played in a while (sure, sage because it's new, but it might also be the astrologian someone leveled to 70 a year+ ago and haven't used since), particularly in combination with tanks who think they can wall pull as usual but who aren't using all their mitigations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Holmisnter Switch just kinda hits hard, I think the ilvl limit is maybe tuned a little closer than later dungeons or something. It defiantly feels like it hits harder than say The Ghimlyt Dark, despite how close those are in level and ilvl. First dungeon of Endwalker is kinda the same.

At least I feel a little more on my toes when I do those dungeons than some of the later ones.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Here we go. Everybody says Welcome To Shadowbringers in the desert but Holminster Switch is where it happened for me. The sheer heroic gravitas of fighting Philia with that boss theme playing is perfect and the rise of difficulty of dungeon bosses helps set the intensity. The first time that earthquake tantrum goes off and doesn't stop... :discourse:

The feeling of struggling to push back the end of days and achieve any win makes the Holminster win incredible.

The Burn(Extreme) :laffo:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thematically Holminster Switch is great as the opening dungeon. It carries a lot of tension and emotional fraughtness even if it's not all that complex mechanically. At release it was also a fairly brutal healer check, especially if you had a fresh gunbteaker charge in to pull everything up to the first boss.

It's true the scene after the dungeon does happen to work better if it's night at the time. But the normal sky is pretty too.

Gaius and Estinien's Buddy Cop Adventure was a good choice for keeping the player apprised of events back on the Source. The world's two biggest badasses snarking at each other while they march relentlessly into Garlean territory is a pretty fun dynamic.

Looking forward to seeing what you think of Minifilia.

Frozenen
Nov 6, 2022
The main reason I think Holminster Switch is amazing is that is acts as catharsis after the oppressive opening of the expansion. You spend a whole bunch of hours running around in the more and more grating light slowly realizing how utterly hosed the world is.

And then you finally get something you can punch to make better, and it's probably the best cinematic dungeon experience in the game so far. And once you win you first get the split the sky cutscene which is superb, and then everyones reaction to night returning. And then you get another Ardbert conversation, and I at least love each and every one of them.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Is anyone else reminded of Tacitus? No? Just me? Never mind.

"To ravage, to slaughter, to usurp under false titles, they call empire, and where they make a desert, they call it peace."

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Absolutely amazing. :lol:

Also, this just about sums up my reaction to Holminster Switch:

ProfessorCirno posted:

I was on the edge of my goddamn seat when I played through this content, and I think I gasped at my WoL splitting the sky. It's such a strong scene. I was also lucky and it was night when the CS had ended, allowing me to wander over to the Crystarium and enjoy it's night theme, which still hits me pretty decently after the fact. There's also so many little things here, but I do want to laugh a bit at Heart Stealing Ali there. I'm sure she'll get over her WoL crush soon enough, and her growing fanbase of women might help that along.

with the addition that I let out a whoop of triumph when the sky got split and the starry sky was revealed. I was also lucky enough to have time of day sync up with the cutscene, which just underscored the impact of what you just pulled off even more. Ardbert's melancholy appearance after is ... something. It doesn't come across as undercutting your achievement, but it does point out that even the victory you've just had comes with perils of its own attached, and at least in my case it really made me feel for him.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

tiercel posted:

"To ravage, to slaughter, to usurp under false titles, they call empire, and where they make a desert, they call it peace."

Gaius is against black rose because it would cause...such devastation. That line doesn't suggest he has any problems with empire or conquest in general.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Gaius is an imperialist who's only ok with some kinds of genocide. Black Rose is the wrong kind.

Gaius is the guy going "hey hey hey hold on, don't just slaughter the slaves. They're useful!"

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Algid posted:

Gaius is against black rose because it would cause...such devastation. That line doesn't suggest he has any problems with empire or conquest in general.

Yeah, uh. Gaius is still Gaius. The trouble he has is that he's an idealist who genuinely believes in, and has attempted to put into practice, the lies that the Garlean Empire have used in their propaganda, both internal and external. So even if he's turned on the Ascians, he's still loyal to the idea of Garlemald as a 'benevolent' enterprise that is worth all the bloodshed and horror sown in its wake.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

tiercel posted:

This meme is all I can see with that screenshot now

And since we've now seen that scene, I can post it!

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 7, 2024

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Thundarr posted:

Gaius and Estinien's Buddy Cop Adventure was a good choice for keeping the player apprised of events back on the Source. The world's two biggest badasses snarking at each other while they march relentlessly into Garlean territory is a pretty fun dynamic.
Biggest (remaining) badasses

Biggest badasses (currently on the Source)

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
"... We stand in the presence of a Lightwarden."

Holminster Switch is basically my favorite dungeon in Shadowbringers, and possibly up to the end of the current MSQ. Everything about the atmosphere of it hit me very hard, and both that and the dungeon theme (which is solidly my favorite in FF14, or at least top 3) urge me to hit sprint and keep running forward.

If I move fast enough, maybe I'll be able to save more people.

My previous favorite dungeon was the Aetherochemical Research Facility, for faintly similar reasons. I think I just like there being a tone of desperation going on.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I agree that changing the midboss music takes a bit away from hearing Insatiable at the end of the dungeon. I actually liked the earlier take better. Still, Holminster Switch has imo some of the best ambience/atmosphere of any XIV dungeon, especially of those up to this point.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Algid posted:

You make an excellent point; I was doing shallow analysis based solely on the wording of the last line.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

dyslexicfaser posted:

Biggest (remaining) badasses

Biggest badasses (currently on the Source)

While true, they probably are the strongest fighters to appear in the story so far that don't also have the Echo (artificial or otherwise). Gaius' Men of Power shtick worked because absent weirdos like Zenos and the WoL, there genuinely would be no one with the power to stop him.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Algid posted:

I think the point was more that Gaius saying that poo poo made them THINK of Tacitus

EDIT: Or maybe I was wrong :lol:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I am a little surprised you didn't go into the lyrics for the Main Boss theme of Shadowbringers.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Rorahusky posted:

I am a little surprised you didn't go into the lyrics for the Main Boss theme of Shadowbringers.

I did. They're the lyrics from the Opening Cinematic.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Sanguinia posted:

At the risk of jumping ahead of my own LP slightly to Lakeland sidequest content wasn't the Ascian plot on the First at the time Ardbert was Warrior of Light something totally different? One of them was posing as a weird fascist cult leader trying to whip the Elves into a giant war with everybody else and/or themselves, and Ardbert and co killed him. That's what triggered the Flood. Then again, with the whole "Time works weird between shards," plot point who knows exactly when the Ascians learned that Ardbert had killed their guys on the First and set Light on the path to total dominion?

Oh my god, I totally missed this, I need to go run Holminster Switch again and watch for it.

The abilities of the Sin Eaters are almost exclusively tools of torture in HS too.

Pillory, Brazen Bull, Thumbscrew, Wooden Horse, Scold's Bridle, Fevered Flagellation, Scavenger's Daughter, and the ever simple Fierce Beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

primaltrash posted:

Pillory, Brazen Bull, Thumbscrew, Wooden Horse, Scold's Bridle, Fevered Flagellation, Scavenger's Daughter, and the ever simple Fierce Beating.

For the record, I did realize this, but not until later, which is when I'll bring it up. I didn't realize it's full extent though, stuff like Skullcrusher and Pendulum being part of the trend was a surprise.