Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

You’re welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i like to look things up in guides, and do not understand the appeal of playing blind at all. however, i dislike looking up builds and strategies.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

I am playing this game again to get myself refreshed in advance of the DLC, and man, the Leyndell Catacombs is truly one of the best experiences in videogames. Crossposting from the Little Things In Games thread:

I have mixed feelings about this place. On paper, I agree. It's a very cool idea. But in practice, traversing the space gets tedious. Like, after the initial "hey that's neat!" wears off, you realize it's one extremely long and extremely grey corridor that drags on a lot longer than the gimmick can sustain.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You guys had me g freaked out. The description of the catacombs didn't track with me so I googled it, thinking I'd missed something. But I watched the video and it all came back to me.

I can't believe that a terrible person I am that I never ng+ what I consider to be the greatest game of all time. Need to finish up this DS3 run and get ready for the DLC

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a number of the late game catacombs which are just loving with you using the level design and I like all of them.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Lokey, one of the lore bloggers, has some interesting theories about who designed which catacombs and they figure that the most dickish ones are probably designed by Marika since she by all lore descriptions enjoys those kind of jokes

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
What's his theory on the true names of catacombs misnamed by baka translators?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I finally got to the final final boss, and I get it. It's a joke. After having to fight the tree spirits like 20 times, with their big screen-eating attacks and lock-on-disaster movesets, it was training you for the final boss being a literal tree spirit that does all of that too. Hard to read moves because it's so big, big sweeping attacks. It's like it all built up to this punchline. All those tree spirits were just training you for the final boss. Like I actually laughed out-loud when I realized the final boss functions like a Starry Tree Spirit.

My first playthrough I hit fatigue at Snowfields and stopped playing for like a year. That only like one new enemy type is introduced in the back 20 hours of the game doesn't help. The final boss rush is honestly really fun though, altho I feel the bosses are just like a centimeter too hard for me on my first go-around that I don't feel ashamed of having using spirit ashes to finish them off. I got Malenia and Hoarah Loux down to the last 5% of their healthbars consistently when solo, I don't have to prove something to the game it's ok. I can't keep that zero-thought speedrunner zen mindstate up for hours at-end anymore like I used to. Armoring up more and using talismans that synergize with my claws have made all the difference. I have all these cool incantations and rarely any opportunity/reason to use them when claw aggression suits better, but Fire's Deadly Sin on Bleed/Frost claws have been fantastic for proccing frost in rapid succession.

Although I notice claws still whiff a ton on some enemies? Beastclergyman Gurranq was shaped in a way that half my claw attacks would miss on some dodges. Jumping attacks covered the gap a lot, at least. Are there any more claw techniques I should know about?

I still haven't found a way to use whips well enough for the final boss rush but I've seen people do Malenia with whips so I know it's possible! But like, top speedrunners proving things are possible doesn't mean it's something I'm gonna be able to grok easy and that's fine.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Skippy McPants posted:

I have mixed feelings about this place. On paper, I agree. It's a very cool idea. But in practice, traversing the space gets tedious. Like, after the initial "hey that's neat!" wears off, you realize it's one extremely long and extremely grey corridor that drags on a lot longer than the gimmick can sustain.

See, I feel like the dragging on is part of the gimmick. "Oh god, am I gonna have to do this a FOURTH time? If I run out of flasks can I even get back here?" is an extremely Souls feeling and one that Elden Ring doesn't actually have very much of since you can usually just get on Torrent or fast travel. I'm glad they managed to imbue some of that fear and anxiety, in a fresh way!

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Node posted:

I had so much fun playing Elden Ring! I love to play From Software games. I'm so pleased with the end result! It is the best RPG ever! My insert_relative_here really enjoy it. You will enjoy it too! If you're planning on playing just a little bit, you may want to consider, because once you start, you won't be able to stop. This is really the best game I've found! Please see my other games at the links below. I really enjoying playing this game on my new PC. Read on to find the secret to playing and enjoying totally awesome games like Elden Ring! There are so many other games you can play alongside Elden Ring. Here are a few of my favorites: ....

Infuriatingly accurate :golfclap:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Another pro-tip for the mind gently caress catacombs: leave a "try crystal" message with a pointing down emote at the front to get lots of free heals randomly from message likes. A lot of people immediately forget they have trail markers

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

See, I feel like the dragging on is part of the gimmick. "Oh god, am I gonna have to do this a FOURTH time? If I run out of flasks can I even get back here?" is an extremely Souls feeling and one that Elden Ring doesn't actually have very much of since you can usually just get on Torrent or fast travel. I'm glad they managed to imbue some of that fear and anxiety, in a fresh way!

I get that, but I still think the actual run-through is too samey for the trick to hold up. After the second fakeout, I felt less anxiety at the prospect of dying than boredom. More of a "gently caress, I'd have to do all this again? gently caress that."

The lack of variation really hurts it. To work, for me at least, it needed more little twists to help keep me invested in between all the identical corridors. Like, there's that one cool bit with the fakeout boss room that has two Omen inside. That's good. Give me a few more rooms like that.

And it's not helped by the fact that it exists in the context of all the other catacombs, which also lean way to heavily on the same handful of rooms and emeies. It would definitely hit a lot harder if the game only had two or three variations of that local rather than, what, fifteen?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I like the teleport trap version of that gimmick way better than the 4 stacked dungeon.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I love the dudes in the arena that run behind the pillars to avoid my spells just to get pancaked by cannon of haima!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO9Z3lHinf4

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I always forget about the Haima spells

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I love Cannon. Expensive as hell, but it's such a wonderful Swiss Army knife that can find ways to deliver damage in the strangest situations.

It's kinda crazy that its hitbox goes through ceilings and floors.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 6, 2024

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

it can soft stunlock some enemies too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
After throwing non Reduvia daggers in the trash (I gotta go back and get misericorde) and also throwing fist weapons in the trash too I'm having a much better time in my arcane run

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Progressed quite well. Got the other half of the Dectus Medallion to unlock the lift, decided to go the long way anyway since it got smithing stones, kinda regretted it due to the human-faced bats habit of using poison (which I didn't realized that I had a way to cure it like an idiot) and Makar hitting rather hard but won anyway, explored a bit of the Atlus Plataeu, ran into a dragon that ran away after i dealt some damage, progressed through some sidequests including starting Millicent's one, joined the Volcano Manor where I killed Istvan and Rileigh, met a cute snake lady, killed Radahn and wore his armor, killed two dragons and an undead bird and lastly, rewarded Tragoth for helping me against a Dragonic Tree Sentinel by murdering him.

Next I probably check around Mt. Gelmir and head to Nokron after that.

Edit:

Pyro Jack fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 7, 2024

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

verbal enema posted:

After throwing non Reduvia daggers in the trash (I gotta go back and get misericorde) and also throwing fist weapons in the trash too I'm having a much better time in my arcane run

Got an arcane run going right now, was trying to stick with Regalia of Eochaid, but Eleonara's Poleblade is just so much more fun.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Zodium posted:

i like to look things up in guides, and do not understand the appeal of playing blind at all. however, i dislike looking up builds and strategies.

Strategies and builds are fun to look up because there are just so many weapons and spells and options, that most of us will overlook dozens of fun things to do in the game. With the way upgrading works, you can't afford to max out everything and test all the permutations, so relying on word of mouth to find out that "hey, this weapon is actually cool" is nice.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

fritz posted:

Got an arcane run going right now, was trying to stick with Regalia of Eochaid, but Eleonara's Poleblade is just so much more fun.

its good to have both, since enemies that dont bleed are usually vulnerable to magic damage

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

unpopular opinion?: I don't like the underground areas at all, probably even less than Caelid

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you don't like Caelid????

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The only area you're allowed to have a negative opinion of is Mountaintops of the giants.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
I've been searching for the perfect place to chill while waiting to get summoned. Obviously it doesn't matter, but it's still fun to me to try and find a spot that meets the following criteria:

1. Shelter - Protection from the rain
2. Quiet - No wind or screeching horns
3. On the Surface - No caves or sewers
4. Warm - Has a fire and isn't freezing cold
Edit:
5. Dry - I'm not standing in water

The closest I've come is the merchant on the beach under the fallen cliff in Limgrave, though sometimes I hangout at the Underground Roadside.

Open to suggestions.

Drain 001 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 7, 2024

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

The only area you're allowed to have a negative opinion of is Mountaintops of the giants.

Is such a shame that there are so many important items in there. It's just another troll move by Miyazaki

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Caelid is miserable. The other areas of the game have the dark atmosphere that From games usually have, but Caelid is just hosed up. It makes up for it by having an awesome boss battle whose arena is bigger than some of the areas in Dark Souls games. I wonder if From was initially going to make Radahn use the whole place. Maybe by jumping into the stars and landing 500 miles away where he starts sniping you again.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

verbal enema posted:

I always forget about the Haima spells

How can you forget about those spells, one of them makes a giant blue hammer that pancakes goons like a Tom & Jerry cartoon :allears:

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Node posted:

Caelid is miserable. The other areas of the game have the dark atmosphere that From games usually have, but Caelid is just hosed up. It makes up for it by having an awesome boss battle whose arena is bigger than some of the areas in Dark Souls games. I wonder if From was initially going to make Radahn use the whole place. Maybe by jumping into the stars and landing 500 miles away where he starts sniping you again.

Someone mod Radahn with pursuer mechanics. Make him aggro you the moment you step into Caelid. Let players experience true fear when they trigger the trap chest, escape the mines and have the General wait outside

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

White Light posted:

How can you forget about those spells, one of them makes a giant blue hammer that pancakes goons like a Tom & Jerry cartoon :allears:

It's made slightly less impressive by being able to wield an ACTUAL giant hammer, or two of them, that pancakes goons :v:

e: Unrelated, but it amazes me how I can STILL be learning the lesson that the right answer to almost every boss is to be more in-their-face and more aggressive. I was feeling stonewalled by Placidusax's godzilla beam attack, until I remembered that if you are ever not sprinting right at a boss and trying to hit them in the rear end, you are probably making a mistake.

It is very funny to me that if you crit Horah Loux from behind, you stab him directly in the buttcheek.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 7, 2024

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Goatson posted:

Someone mod Radahn with pursuer mechanics. Make him aggro you the moment you step into Caelid. Let players experience true fear when they trigger the trap chest, escape the mines and have the General wait outside

If you could kite Radahn into kamakaziing on those loving birds it would probably make Caelid a lot more pleasant.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Enemies in Caelid become exponentially easier the more you aggro anyway

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ive come to the conclusion that godfrey’s first phase is the hardest combat in the game on high ng+ levels

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

My only problem with Caelid is the stupid blue laser golem down that one cliffside in Dragonbarrow who's is a pain in the rear end to reach, has five billion health, and the sheer loving gall to not drop a drat thing when you finally kill him.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 7, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Caelid is just annoying, nothing more nothing else. Now blighttown...that shithole is like 90% poison, framerate issues, getting poisoned dart from nowhere, fighting on 1 inch planks that could all lead to your death. Only saving grace is that Quelaag is one of the easier bosses

I really think the open world aspect of Caelid and having Torrent makes it manageable. Now if you compressed Caelid into a sort of dungeon/town that would be some real nightmare fuel.

But in terms of visual design, Caelid is absolutely one of my favorite Fromsoft locations. It looks like a 90s swedish black metal album cover.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 7, 2024

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think Caelid left an overall positive impression on me because it's the last zone in the game with a lot of unique enemy designs. Limgrave > Liurnia > Caelid each had a litany of weird new foes to tackle, but from that point on, every other zone is like 90% stuff you've already fought.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Drain 001 posted:

I've been searching for the perfect place to chill while waiting to get summoned. Obviously it doesn't matter, but it's still fun to me to try and find a spot that meets the following criteria:

The closest I've come is the merchant on the beach under the fallen cliff in Limgrave, though sometimes I hangout at the Underground Roadside.

Open to suggestions.

I can’t give suggestions because my tastes are pretty different from yours, but I always liked to find good waiting spots when I was invading too. My favorite was always fallen ruins on the lake. It feels like one of the most peaceful places in the game to me. Ruin strewn precipice is also really nice - beautiful view with somber harpy-song in the background. Actually there might be some spots that meet your criteria there too.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Drain 001 posted:

Open to suggestions.

Theres a small campfire above Highroad Cave at the end of the little river that runs into Agheel Lake, its a pretty chill spot with a view of the Bestial Sanctum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

blighttown rules and hasn’t had framerate issue since 2018