Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

CelticPredator posted:

They’re mad because James Gunn personally killed Zack Snyder and Henry Cavill with his bare hands

Impressive when you consider Henry is generally three times the size of the people around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Big step backwards in costume design. I like that the trunks are back, and I even like the high collar, but woof that texture. I would love superhero costumes to start leaning on more organic fabrics. What would a modern mega-budget version of the boiled wool George Reeves costume look like? The Batman having a leather cowl was a step in the right direction.

e: Easily my favorite modern Superman costume was the retro "Thanks, my mom made it for me!" one from Superman and Lois. That looked 100x better than this big chunky thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ESTJ1xCC0

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 7, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah weird material or texture on the costume is one of my spots on comic book adaptation red flag bingo.

How many movies have ever just given them cloth/fabric costumes? Off hand I can think of The Phantom and Watchmen?? It's always made of rubber, or it looks like some poo poo I'd wear hiking, and it always sucks.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

B stands for Balls.

Or is Butt?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I like the promo image. The basketball texture on the costume is a bit lame, but I like how it makes Being Superman seem a little... prosaic? After a lot of attempts to lean into Superman the Heroic Icon, it's good to go back to him being at his core a kinda blue-collar guy who treats saving people the same way a firefighter does. Even though he's an alien demigod who punches evil robots, he still puts his boots on one foot at a time like a human being.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
People said snyders superman didn't save people and got them killed, meanwhile James gunns superman over here taking a break from battle to dig rocks out from his boots

smh

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Personally I'm hype for season 2 of My Adventures with Superman cartoon.

Maybe the new movie will gain my interest if they have Mr Mxyzptlk in it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

People said snyders superman didn't save people and got them killed, meanwhile James gunns superman over here taking a break from battle to dig rocks out from his boots

smh

Maybe he's just taking a break because the half dozen other superheroes in the movie are handling it.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Robot Style posted:

Showing Superman putting on his boots is an interesting choice here.

Having grown up in the country, I want to see a scene where Superman is walking through mud, and his boot gets stuck, and when he tries to take a step he pulls his foot out, and then has to try desperately to get his foot back into the boot without stepping in the mud.

Some people out there will know what I'm talking about.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, I know I'm overthinking it, but where does he keep his superman boots? Everything else could I guess be under his normal suit, but the boots? I KNOW some comic book author, maybe several, has delt with this.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
In my headcanon, Supes wears footie pajamas

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, I know I'm overthinking it, but where does he keep his superman boots?

Up his super powered rear end

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, I know I'm overthinking it, but where does he keep his superman boots? Everything else could I guess be under his normal suit, but the boots? I KNOW some comic book author, maybe several, has delt with this.

I think it’s a onesie

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Presto posted:

Having grown up in the country, I want to see a scene where Superman is walking through mud, and his boot gets stuck, and when he tries to take a step he pulls his foot out, and then has to try desperately to get his foot back into the boot without stepping in the mud.

I want him to awkwardly try to squeeze into the boot at a lovely angle until he just gives up and gets a shoehorn.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I still stand by Man of Steel as a drat good comic book movie, it just gives me a loving headache and I refuse to watch it again.
Also BvS theatrical version high as gently caress on cannabis lemonade was a one of a kind theater experience. I stand by that movie until the last act where it becomes a Carl's Jr commercial where the Justice League fight another CGI MONSTER GUY.

These stupid IPs don't deserve respect and they've been done a billion different ways in the comics so I'm always annoyed by people going "this isn't a superman movie!!!" or whatever.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

He should just be barefoot

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

To reflect the impossibility of any suit standing up to the forces a Superman fight subjects it to, he should simply be naked.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Professor Shark posted:

He should just be barefoot

side plot where superman has to shut down wikifeet to prevent his identity from being uncovered

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Superman should be barefoot but have disgusting toe fungus that poisons the Earth and proves Lex was right (Lex also repoisons the Earth with a fake solution AND also goes barefoot because of weird CEO stuff)

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Tars Tarkas posted:

Superman should be barefoot but have disgusting toe fungus that poisons the Earth and proves Lex was right (Lex also repoisons the Earth with a fake solution AND also goes barefoot because of weird CEO stuff)

Lex shoves his big toe into the mouth of a senator.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Monica Bellucci posted:

Lex shoves his big toe into the mouth of a senator.

Also Lex is a woman now and the senator is a cameo from a director who wrote some stuff about Superman in a movie once and why is there a QT listed in the credits as co-writer?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am tired of all these comic book movies. Snyderverse rules, Gunnverse drools.

*Gatts goes to see Deadpool + Wolverine*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If this Superman was being directed by anyone not named James Gunn I would immediately write it off

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snyder is dead. Bury him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Dan Snyder to make him worse

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Snyder is dead. Bury him.
Actually he's stuck in the superman prison dimension for eternity endlessly re-editing his old films
Just wait for Sucker Punch snydercut

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He said It was happening lol.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone who doesn't have very strong feelings about Snyder one way or the other, that's amazing news. If only because the idea of a musical version of Suckerpunch is too bizarre to not be handed over to the public.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly Snyder would make a killer musical. Even if it was a jukebox one. I’d love to see it.

I like his stuff I’m just more frustrated with the discourse and his fans then him

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly Snyder would make a killer musical. Even if it was a jukebox one. I’d love to see it.

I like his stuff I’m just more frustrated with the discourse and his fans then him

Now I want to see Zack Snyder's Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jack B Nimble posted:

Superman’s feet.

Super-man’s feet.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m in a weird place because there’s no way in gently caress I’m spending any amount of time watching either Rebel Moon movie. But the Snyder Cut was a drastic improvement in my eyes. It was pretentious as hell and thinks it’s the superhero equivalent of the Bible. So it does feel like an angry comic book fan has you cornered while they explain some dork poo poo at you. But the original was so awful that despite its problems it still felt like a major improvement. I would actually go watch the sequel we aren’t getting.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Actually he's stuck in the superman prison dimension for eternity endlessly re-editing his old films
Just wait for Sucker Punch snydercut

ZZ Top: World of Swirl slower mo cut

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't mind the superman putting on his boots or the costume, and I think I figured out why the background looks so weird. It was apparently captured in camera, so it's probably an LED wall with pre-viz, so not even the first iteration of final vfx.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been rewatching the new Planet of the Apes movies in anticipation for Kingdom and man that first movie is a real snoozefest until Caesar shows up. Watching them in a row it is kind of wild how far they've come because the first one was still pretty janky with the apes but by the third they've gotten it down pat.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How is the third? I only caught the first two and liked them, and pumped about Kingdom. Worth it?

Casimir Radon posted:

I’m in a weird place because there’s no way in gently caress I’m spending any amount of time watching either Rebel Moon movie. But the Snyder Cut was a drastic improvement in my eyes. It was pretentious as hell and thinks it’s the superhero equivalent of the Bible. So it does feel like an angry comic book fan has you cornered while they explain some dork poo poo at you. But the original was so awful that despite its problems it still felt like a major improvement. I would actually go watch the sequel we aren’t getting.

Same, I'm a sucker for space nonsense but Rebel Moon sounds miserable. I haven't actually loved anything he's done since Watchmen (which was a massive swing and a minor miss, but does too much right to not have a soft spot for), or you count the trailer for Man of Steel (which is the best piece of live-action Superman media by a mile). However, the Snyder Cut was one of the only interesting and compelling superhero things of the past decade. It was tedious and overlong and I have no desire to revisit it, but I'm glad it exists. It's the closest thing that's ever existed to reflecting what it feels like to read a good DC comic book, which nothing else has ever gotten remotely close to.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wait I knew vaguely he was doing it, but it's supposed to be a more musical Suckerpunch? That's great since the best scene of the movie was the Oscar Isaac Carla gugino duet they cut.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah weird material or texture on the costume is one of my spots on comic book adaptation red flag bingo.

How many movies have ever just given them cloth/fabric costumes? Off hand I can think of The Phantom and Watchmen?? It's always made of rubber, or it looks like some poo poo I'd wear hiking, and it always sucks.

I feel like that kinda thing can be done well, it just often isn't. Like, the spandex and cloth costumes are easy to draw and render in comics but a lot do like to play with texture when they can. Batman's almost always shown as wearing something closer to body armour in the movies, and it felt right, because that's a very Batman thing to do. Also IIRC Man of Steel Superman's outfit is actually something resembling chainmail.

Presto posted:

This would be a fun way for Clark Kent to realise he can fly.

Also reminded that one comics theory is that Superman projects a lowkey forcefield around his body as part of his physical invulnerability, which has the handy side effect of stopping dirt and grime getting on his costume. And when he's in medieval Europe for some reason or another, some filthy peasants note that he walks as a king, for his robes are untouched by filth.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

How is the third? I only caught the first two and liked them, and pumped about Kingdom. Worth it?
The third one (War for the Planet of the Apes) is a fine movie and worth the watch if you liked the first two. It does have some pacing issues in my opinion, and overall less than the sum of its parts. War is also in a weird spot in the trilogy as it feels much smaller scale than Dawn, the second one.

Dawn is actually about a war brewing between humans and apes, and War turns out to be half a weird western and half about escaping prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

War had Bad Ape, the best Steve Zahn character.