Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Fat Samurai posted:

Is there a decent storage solution already floating around?

Seems like everyone is obsessed with Tetrising into one giant box and I don’t really understand it. I built a little Foamcore insert for the base game box so it holds all the components to play a base game + Horizons spirits and expansion boards neatly and then the JE box easily holds all the other spirits through NI, expansion pieces and cards (a full set with the base mixed in) with just a few token containers to keep things neat. Since most of the time I play in real life it’s probably introducing the base game (+horizons), I only need the original box for that, then if I’m playing a full game I can open the other box and get what I need without digging everything out of a giant box to start.

I do really like the 3d printed inserts that follow the contours of the spirit boards though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Are you separating out B&C and JE power cards from the deck after every playthrough?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Are you separating out B&C and JE power cards from the deck after every playthrough?

Whenever I introduce new players, I have a quick look at the powers they draw, and throw out/redraw those which are too complicated (use tokens, isolate, and such). They can still choose out of 4 powers.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Elysium posted:

Seems like everyone is obsessed with Tetrising into one giant box and I don’t really understand it. I built a little Foamcore insert for the base game box so it holds all the components to play a base game + Horizons spirits and expansion boards neatly and then the JE box easily holds all the other spirits through NI, expansion pieces and cards (a full set with the base mixed in) with just a few token containers to keep things neat. Since most of the time I play in real life it’s probably introducing the base game (+horizons), I only need the original box for that, then if I’m playing a full game I can open the other box and get what I need without digging everything out of a giant box to start.

I do really like the 3d printed inserts that follow the contours of the spirit boards though.

In my case, I usually play at a store, and 1 box is easier to move than 2.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

No because Horizons comes with a complete set of base power cards. So in the base box I have the Horizons set, and in the JE box I have the mixed base+BC+JE+NI set. If I play a new player game I just take out the base cards, if I play with expansions I just leave that set in the box and play with the other set.

Fat Samurai posted:

In my case, I usually play at a store, and 1 box is easier to move than 2.

Unless I was literally only planning on carrying one box, in my hands, for some distance, it makes almost no difference to me. One box, two boxes? Same tote bag.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 7, 2024

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
For me, the reason I Frankensteined one big box is that the spirit panels don't all fit in one standard sized box and splitting them between two boxes does not delight me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

It's a hilarious meme opening but I'm pretty sure it's just objectively bad play outside of some real long odds lucky drafts and I've absolutely stunk up any game I've tried it in (only 3 times is a small sample size but it was disappointing enough that I'm not going to waste my time again.) On 10+ difficulty games the amount of momentum you lose isn't worth one single turn where you spam one unthresholded major 4 times and then afterwards you've blown your load of stockpiled energy and have basically the same ability to impact the board as you would have if you hadn't spent the first half of the game doing nothing, possibly less.

Eh, it's not the worst. There's a lot of variance; if your first major pull is all defensive/support powers then you're probably hosed, if you get an optimal offensive major like Cleansing Flood you can get a pretty quick clean win. It helps if you're teamed up with aggro spirits that appreciate the amount of stall you can put out in the early turns and can keep offensive tempo up, although those teammates are a good fit for Downpour regardless. It's definitely less about taking advantage of a setup and more about Downpour being so strong in that setup that you can get away with goofy meme stuff.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

As to storage, probably have said this before here, I have the Tower Rex original organizer*, which holds all the non-NI pieces (including premium tokens), adversaries/scenarios & markers, the island boards, the rules, and all the cards except events and minors. Then I use a Home Depot 6 quart Sterilite box for the Spirit panels, the "fear board," a bag with the NI pieces, and two deck boxes with the events and the minors, with a washcloth stuffed in to keep stuff from sliding around too much. (All cards are sleeved.) I band each of these two with one of these.

It serves me well, except for one thing: *Tower Rex now makes an additional organizer that looks to fit in the NI box. The NI box I just broke down for recycling as I am moving. That I broke down like two days ago, but is long gone. The additional organizer that I didn't see until just now. Oh well, at least my solution works.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
We use a 3d printed organizer (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6129527) that fits everything in the game plus our play journal into one box neatly, if you can accept lid lift halfway up the box. It sets up and packs back up really fast once you're used to the very specific tetris necessary. Because of 3d printer variances and imperfections the fit is slightly too tight if you print absolutely everything, I strongly recommend skipping the boxes for presence tokens and reminder icons (the colored shield tokens that go with your presence color) and keeping those in their own individual baggies, it helps everything fit better and it's better in play for everyone to just hold their own baggy anyways.

e: you may also need to put some overflow tokens like fear etc away into a spares bag if you have too many to fit neatly because the assembly requires everything sit flat, in practice this will never matter because there's absolutely no way to run out unless you have 6 players against England 6 and get the more fear tokens in the pool event on terror level 3. Very unlikely, that.

Lambo Trillrissian fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 7, 2024

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
SI organizers in a few years:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Many Minds and Russia are both out for digital. They're both kinda breaking my brain

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Many Minds is like -1 or -2 to Russia's difficulty

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I got a big Plano fishing tackle box and it stores everything well and probably enough room for another big expansion

https://a.co/d/16NmHih

E: i believe that’s the one, i accidently left it at game night and can’t confirm the model number till friday

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Starlight is an incredibly cool spirit with a lot of fun viable build paths but I am completely addicted to grabbing a major turn one every time and can't bring myself to play it any other way. Planning out which major you can reliably threshold turn 2/3 for maximum carnage is my favorite optimization puzzle in the game.

I tried grabbing a major first last time i played and got Bloodwrack Plague vs Hapsburg Mining and drafted two other disease minors. Between all that and Finder moving things around, I think we had a perfect game aside from losing blight to event surprises. I played bloodwrack plague like 6 times

Its definitely swingy, i think you need a relevant major thats like <5-6 cost, i was able to juggle the 4 pretty easily till I got to sustainable energy income, couldnt see a 6 happening unless it was really impactful. Almost wish you could use the draw 6 keep 2 power on a major but only keep 1.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
On the storage front, I way overpaid to get some custom 3D printed thing shipped to me from Etsy. It lets me combine everything, including premium components and Horizon spirits, into the base box and NI. I actually use JE as the second box, but that is because it gives me room to dump all the instruction books as well in case I need them for whatever reason.

The real reason is I liked the goofy shaped holders for the markers. Makes setup a breeze, but honestly putting everything up isn't that much faster. Especially since half the time I need to access pictures I have on my phone to remember how to layer everything so it fits.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Oh my god, this is so stupid. I love it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

On the storage front, I way overpaid to get some custom 3D printed thing shipped to me from Etsy. It lets me combine everything, including premium components and Horizon spirits, into the base box and NI. I actually use JE as the second box, but that is because it gives me room to dump all the instruction books as well in case I need them for whatever reason.

The inserts that fit perfectly around the island boards are a work of art.

I ended up just making some quick/dirty boxes for mine. I thought about putting everything in a single box but the size required was a bit silly, and I wanted enough extra room to deal with whatever gets added after NI. I made some smaller segmented versions of the fear/invader board etc at the same time, as well.

The thinner spirit panels save a ton of room even though I don't like them quite as much.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 8, 2024

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

The real reason is I liked the goofy shaped holders for the markers. Makes setup a breeze, but honestly putting everything up isn't that much faster. Especially since half the time I need to access pictures I have on my phone to remember how to layer everything so it fits.

You can't post this and not link 'em.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

Spiggy posted:

You can't post this and not link 'em.

I can't emphasis enough, just how much I overpaid for this. I wonder if you have your own 3D printer, if you could just buy the files off the seller for a fraction of the cost. Oh well, I play SI almost weekly with one of my friends, and about half of that involves going to his house.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I can't emphasis enough, just how much I overpaid for this. I wonder if you have your own 3D printer, if you could just buy the files off the seller for a fraction of the cost. Oh well, I play SI almost weekly with one of my friends, and about half of that involves going to his house.

Whatever the surcharge is to get someone else to 3D print something for you, it's cheaper than owning and maintaining a 3D printer.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wallet posted:

The thinner spirit panels save a ton of room even though I don't like them quite as much.

The thin Horizons-style spirit panels are miles better than the thick cardboard ones. The perfect panels would be the thick cardboard ones with indents for the presence markers, though.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
We know a guy with a 3d printer in his shop who owed us a favor, had ours made for free :hehe:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Toshimo posted:

The thin Horizons-style spirit panels are miles better than the thick cardboard ones. The perfect panels would be the thick cardboard ones with indents for the presence markers, though.

They would be miles better if they didn't have the lovely foiling on them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Every time I play Vengeance as a Burning Plague I have a great time right until I lose

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If that isn't a thread title candidate I don't know what is.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Many Minds is like -1 or -2 to Russia's difficulty

It's been a while since I played many minds but drat it feels busted, especially solo. Makes a change from all the vengeance games I've been getting my rear end kicked in lately

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I find Many Minds to be a little strange. Like it’s powerful and versatile with all the movement, but playing it kind of feels like you don’t… do… anything. It’s just like ok here’s some defense and fear, now HERE’s some defense and fear, no wait HERE is some defense and fear. Oh look I stacked the whole fear deck. Well gg I guess.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Defense + fear is a really strong, simple combo. Defense-heavy spirits normally struggle to reach win conditions and fear-heavy spirits struggle to keep the island from falling apart while they shotgun fear cards, so combining the two fixes both their weaknesses. There are also a ton of in-element minors for Dahan movement which even lets MM capitalize on its crazy defense with consistent counterattack kills. It's not ultra busted as far as spirits go but it is very easy and consistent.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's an easier and stronger and more boring version of the far superior Sharp Fangs.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Does it have anything common with Sharp Fangs other than using beasts? Fangs is tempo offense, while MM is lots of defense and inevitibility.

I have more trouble making MM work than I do with fangs but I'm pretty sure I'm just bad with both. Which reminds me, I've developed the ability to beat England 6 more than half the time, so this means I'm always right about spirit island. Sorry haters!

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Both spirits have a focus on positional play and mobility that can really fizzle if you don't plan your setup across turns properly, even if they're on the opposite ends of offense/defense

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Okay well I'm not willing to die on this hill, but imo you just described 30% of the spirits in the game, unless you mean positioning, mobilizing and planning with beast tokens specifically.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

Okay well I'm not willing to die on this hill, but imo you just described 30% of the spirits in the game, unless you mean positioning, mobilizing and planning with beast tokens specifically.

...pretty obviously yes? But also those beasts are tied to presence movement gimmicks that are important cores to their play. A fair number of spirits have presence movement but it's not always as tightly keyed to specific special rules and usage of unique cards (Fractured Days and Starlight come to mind, they have it and will need it but it's not as directly tied into their gameplay loops.) The only other spirit with as key positional elements that involve combining tokens and presence would be Thunderspeaker and I guess Hearth Vigil but Hearth Vigil's minigame is so easy you don't really have to think about it much lol. They're definitely less unique now that incarna exist but whatever (it would be cool to see an incarna aspect for Fangs.)

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Like 10 minutes ago I was wondering why they didn't make an incarna for Fangs, weirdly. Best guess, they didn't want too much overlap with breath of darkness. Or maybe breath started out as a Fangs aspect? I don't think it did because I don't remember that being mentioned in the spirit reveal.

Thematically, I kind of like how Fangs doesn't have an incarna. It's a conceptual being, the spirit of killing intent and predation. The hunter is everywhere and nowhere and it's coming for you, and the.mechanics reflect that.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ragnar34 posted:

Like 10 minutes ago I was wondering why they didn't make an incarna for Fangs, weirdly. Best guess, they didn't want too much overlap with breath of darkness. Or maybe breath started out as a Fangs aspect? I don't think it did because I don't remember that being mentioned in the spirit reveal.

Thematically, I kind of like how Fangs doesn't have an incarna. It's a conceptual being, the spirit of killing intent and predation. The hunter is everywhere and nowhere and it's coming for you, and the.mechanics reflect that.

Wouldn't the Incarna version of Fangs be Ember-Eyed Behemoth, as a giant tiger rampages through your city? Or are you thinking the biggest fricking hunting pack ever seen?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Huge fuckoff panther like the wolves and other animals in princess mononoke. Breath of darkness mechanics, but the negaverse is now Fang's belly.

Man I love breath of darkness. I want to play that right now instead of all this "work" nonsense.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

There are incarna mechanisms that could work thematically that haven't been explored thoroughly yet, like:
Your incarna counts as a beast token and allows you to select an adjacent land each turn to destroy 1 explorer per beast token, generate 1 fear per 2 explorers destroyed this way.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
I don't usually like spirit island fan content (most of it is insanely bad design) but there's a pretty cool Vengeance incarna aspect someone pitched that counts as a disease and moves with invaders, neat idea

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Man Scotland 6 can be really scary on the thematic boards, especially with back to back lands. Just got Jungle I > Jungle II on the SE+SW boards with an unlucky dahan don't participate in ravages event that stopped us clearing lands, suddenly had 6 different town+city spots to deal with for turn 3's ravage. Good thing my partner drafted Melt the Earth Into Quicksand and Scour the Land super early on Violence Bodan, which is close as you get to an instant win. Went into turn 4 with 6 fear cards in play and won by fast phase turn 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Played a super engaging game of wounded waters vs Scotland where I watched the land build and build, barely survived to turn 10 with the spiders major, and then drafted a clutch pent-up calamity to turn all those beast tokens into six fear cards, which in turn killed the last couple cities. Then I realized I'd forgotten to draw events for the past six turns. Fffuuuuuuck

Love the theme though. I went for serene waters renew but won with an unspecified yet vividly imaginable calamity involving hordes of spiders and alligators in the quiet mountain towns of board E. How did alligators get into the mountains? gently caress you, that's how.