Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
worst imo is the Forgefall (first legendary sharpshot you can get) having both tiers of plasma arrows taking up two ammo slots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Falukorv posted:

worst imo is the Forgefall (first legendary sharpshot you can get) having both tiers of plasma arrows taking up two ammo slots

Yeah it sucks! Could have at least replaced the basic tier with those sound arrows or whatever for when you really wanna break a piece of. I'm totally okay with that hunter bow that only has elemental arrows though, I find it handy to have 3x elements on one bow. Just some really questionable decisions on those bows with two of the same type of arrows tbqh

I've started replaying zero dawn again since it's been quite a while

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Is there a point to electrified ropecasters ? 100% rope is a KO. 100% electric is a KO. Splitting damage between the two so both accrue more slowly seems... dumb ? Am I missing something ?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
idk because HFW nerfed ropes so much

air enemy? SHOOT IT OUT OF THE SKY UNTIL IT IS DONE

also you kinda need to go out of your way to piss off a stormbird and not much else warrants it

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

big nipples big life posted:

That fight against 3 was rough.

Here's how I did that: hid next to a broken overpass on the beach and fired a sharpshot arrow or two at a weak point on one of them. Then either hid under the overpass or dove into the water until they lost interest. Repeat. Took like an hour.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Took a break from my Ultra Hard run about a week ago specifically because of this fight. Need to go back to it and power through, it's just a side quest so there probably isn't even anything good waiting at the end.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Deformed Church posted:

Is there something in Burning Shores that makes it look like total poo poo? It's got this weird grain fuzz, especially when there's movement. The main game occasionally looked weird when there were dust effects and stuff but nothing like this.

turn your monitor on :smug:

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Its wild, the Frozen Wilds DLC Scorchers and Fireclaws were absolute menaces all those years ago, and when they arrived in Forbidden West they were very manageable.

Meanwhile Waterwings are absolute loving menaces. Enormous HP pools, ridiculous forward hitboxes on its soil upturning attacks.

Meanwhile Bileguts were easy because someone that leaps with such airtime, well, I'm used to fighting Margit.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It sounds like my waterwing problem is
different, because my experience has been that they literally just fly around at the very edge of my bow's range, with their tiny weak points that would already be hard to hit, bombarding me at a constant rhythm.

Like, the fight with three at once was literally just like ten minutes of pinging one arrow, rolling sideways, repeat. I don't think any of them ever got close enough to hit with a spike, or attempted any other kind of attack or behaviour that might have given an opening.

Not difficult, just deeply unfun.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

different, because my experience has been that they literally just fly around at the very edge of my bow's range, with their tiny weak points that would already be hard to hit, bombarding me at a constant rhythm.

Like, the fight with three at once was literally just like ten minutes of pinging one arrow, rolling sideways, repeat. I don't think any of them ever got close enough to hit with a spike, or attempted any other kind of attack or behaviour that might have given an opening.

sounds like their behavior just broke on you, or uhh, the constant lunging is what's broken, idk. it was deeply unfun having 3 beefy waterwings constantly lunging, i avoided fighting them at all after that

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Yeah something must have broken, I think that was the hardest fight in the game for me.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Deformed Church posted:

I dunno, I really didn't have a problem with that fight (possibly because forewarned by this thread). I kind of just sprinted around plinking with, err, admittedly heavy duty poo poo (fire spikes/heavy splosive spikes) doing something like a lopsided figure 8 under the overpass and most of their poo poo just missed me... *except* when I tried to dodge, the recovery of which is when one would slam right into my face.

So my advice would be : don't roll, just run. It confuses them, idk.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i would have been happier w/ the waterwing fight if it at least had the slaughterspine theme, i love fighting those guys too

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Took a break from my Ultra Hard run about a week ago specifically because of this fight. Need to go back to it and power through, it's just a side quest so there probably isn't even anything good waiting at the end.

you do get a pretty good outfit out of it, mostly of interest if you make use of ranged stealth playstyles.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Kobal2 posted:

Is there a point to electrified ropecasters ? 100% rope is a KO. 100% electric is a KO. Splitting damage between the two so both accrue more slowly seems... dumb ? Am I missing something ?

elemental ropes are among the most underperforming ammo types in the game and the devs should have taken a closer look at what purpose they wanted them to serve... one of those ammos i never use and forget about along with adhesive and shieldwires.

Sloober posted:

Yeah it sucks! Could have at least replaced the basic tier with those sound arrows or whatever for when you really wanna break a piece of. I'm totally okay with that hunter bow that only has elemental arrows though, I find it handy to have 3x elements on one bow. Just some really questionable decisions on those bows with two of the same type of arrows tbqh

I've started replaying zero dawn again since it's been quite a while

yeah, theres no reason to keep the basic plasma arrows, plasma is already pretty niche and mostly useful against only a handful of enemies. Even then its often better served with plasma spikes that do good direct damage against plasmaweak enemies rather than the high buildup to the rather crappy plasma status.

Although plasma arrows are clutch against apex dreadwings, sunwings and stormbirds as the adv plasma arrows can oneshot-ground them for better access and openings, and the delayed plasma blast can knock them out of the sky a second time. espeiclly useful on ps4 where the stormbird skydive spam still hasnt been patched and the double plasma grounding can snap them out of it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i confess to never finding a real compelling reason to use plasma, the full charge buildup is... underwhelming? maybe setting off plasma tanks? IDK, it just felt so weak vs ice or acid or electric or whatever, other than the status grounding on it for flyers it's like the worst element

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Plasma scales very poorly into higher difficulties, a full explosion barely tickles an apex machine. None of my usual loadouts use plasma ammo and it's completely fine.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Yeah the scaling ruined plasma on VH or UH, a ton of buildup work for an explosion that did nothing.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
not even in higher difficulties! there's no reason to use it on anything even in normal which is what i play on, apex dreadwings or slaughterspines or thundermaws all have way too much health for a piddly little 300 damage explosion to matter versus literally anything else unless you specifically want to ground a flyer, even then i'd probably switch to another element before the plasma even goes off

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
also a shame acids corroding DPS against armor plates doesnt scale at all, so the gradual shedding of armor plates with acid is basically neglible on higher difficulties. same with fire dps, which is already kind of paltry on Normal. But acid at least has the armor damage penetration thing going for it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If I were making Horizon 3 I’d combine the effects of Acid/Purgewater and Fire/Plasma and make the plasma explosion scale a lot better.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't know why Plasma just isn't "repeat all Impact damage received after a delay." It would still be worse than Freeze overall but the delayed damage would have some niche applications.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

exquisite tea posted:

If I were making Horizon 3 I’d combine the effects of Acid/Purgewater and Fire/Plasma and make the plasma explosion scale a lot better.

Looking at the elements and weapons going from HZD to HFW, you're thinking about this all wrong. Clearly we need more total elements available, and each endgame weapon needs at least one more ammo type to truly up the difficulty during stressful fights.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

it was great fun the second time around when i was farming the apex hearts for some of the legendary gear. drat fight used up all my berries and potions at max level aloy :|

Sloober posted:

i would have been happier w/ the waterwing fight if it at least had the slaughterspine theme, i love fighting those guys too

of the new machines they feel kinda boring to me, and much less interesting as a "capstone" machine than thunderjaws were in the original. there's seemingly very little you can do to whittle down their capabilities, though idk if that's because im not shooting off all three of the tail guns or because most attacks remain available with the (infinite) back spines still attached. the attacks themselves aren't something you can easily thwart because they hit so much of the area, so trying to dodge them feels like a crapshoot. the drop weapons are boring as heck since the plasma beam is, well, not very effective against plasma-resistant slaughterspines

slitherfangs are way more fun IMO. more varied attacks that you can see telegraphed and avoid properly and a cool set of movement patterns (compared to the slaughterspine's boring "stand in one place and charge mah lazer"). tiderippers, tremortusks, and even dreadwings aren't as fun as slitherfangs but are still more fun to fight than the spiny boys

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I would put Slitherfangs and Tremortusks both in the top tier of "new good poo poo," although Slitherfangs are probably more impressive from a technical / animation standpoint.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Slitherfangs lean really hard into the 'everything is wiggly' angle of HFW's combat loop, but I don't hate it, because they are snakes. Burrowers are REALLY wiggly. And don't get me started on those loving kangaroos

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

slitherfangs are very wiggly but a lot of their weak points are on the front, so it's a fun targeting exercise. tiderippers are wiggly enough and have a bunch of weak points hidden on their back, so their tendency to always turn to face you means you just can't hit them

leaplashers are some hot bullshit, primarily because of their bullshit focus disable ability that can keep triggering after they die. screw those pods that you can't easily find because they're immobile on the ground and can't be seen via focus because they disable it

that one slaughterspine surrounded by them is among the worst encounters in the game, and it was unfortunately the easiest slaughterspine to reach from a campfire to farm apex hearts from prior to the expansion

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

slitherfangs are very wiggly but a lot of their weak points are on the front, so it's a fun targeting exercise. tiderippers are wiggly enough and have a bunch of weak points hidden on their back, so their tendency to always turn to face you means you just can't hit them

leaplashers are some hot bullshit, primarily because of their bullshit focus disable ability that can keep triggering after they die. screw those pods that you can't easily find because they're immobile on the ground and can't be seen via focus because they disable it

that one slaughterspine surrounded by them is among the worst encounters in the game, and it was unfortunately the easiest slaughterspine to reach from a campfire to farm apex hearts from prior to the expansion

Couple things that worked for me here:

1) Tiderippers are pretty well trivialized by a good electricity weapon with high accumulation. One KO is usually enough of a window to take out the wheel on the top. After that they can still be annoying, but they're manageable and they can be repeatedly electrified as needed

2) That Slaughterspine paths a fair bit away from the leapers. If engaged there, it can be led towards the campfire a bit. That'll keep it well away from the leapers, it'll be open to attacks as it closes in, and you can stop leading it early enough to keep it in an open area (so you have room to maneuver). Honestly the main gripe I have there is waiting for it to path to the initial engagement spot, but even that takes only a minute

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Shock shredders made the tide ripper about as scary as a watcher. It's crazy how much of a hard counter they are to that machine.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
when i first saw the tiderippers do that little spinny water blast thing i wondered if they were old world interactive water park machines. especially since at the time it was crawling kind of slowly around on land

e. they would be at home in the dino park in burning shores in a waterpark area

i think after i do HZD i might actually give FW a replay, regular new game though since i dont care about NG+

Sloober fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 7, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

NG+ is nice because you get the Sunwing right after unlocking the base.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sloober posted:

IDK, it just felt so weak vs ice or acid or electric or whatever, other than the status grounding on it for flyers it's like the worst element

I think Fire is probably even worse. Not nearly enough DoT to justify using it over almost any other status.

Acid/Corrosion is also a little weird in that it seems like "a worse version of Brittle"

Brittle and Shock seem significantly better than anything else.

Shock shredders made the tide ripper about as scary as a watcher. It's crazy how much of a hard counter they are to that machine.

Also Apex Tremortusks IIRC

Or, uh...pretty much any machine that isn't resistant to Shock

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

NG+ is nice because you get the Sunwing right after unlocking the base.

That's the only thing that's giving me any amount of pause, but I also liberally abuse fast travel so the only thing that would do is let me do those quests locked by wings of the 10 sooner

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
tiderippers do have the heart weakpoint the front that is pretty satisfying to land hits on.

but yeah all elemets except shock and frost needs a buff, and frost needs a nerf. at this point in the game im using frost alot less on purpose for fights to have a bit more bite and make weakpoints more rewarding. i could see frost for example not completely negating armor, and reducing the multiplier on body/non-weakpoit hits, that it does both is very OP with how infinitely scalable impact damage is.

shock and acid are my most used elements nowadays.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

IMHO all elemental states should grant you a 50% damage bonus when they're active, otherwise keep Freeze the same.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

isk posted:

Couple things that worked for me here:

1) Tiderippers are pretty well trivialized by a good electricity weapon with high accumulation. One KO is usually enough of a window to take out the wheel on the top. After that they can still be annoying, but they're manageable and they can be repeatedly electrified as needed

2) That Slaughterspine paths a fair bit away from the leapers. If engaged there, it can be led towards the campfire a bit. That'll keep it well away from the leapers, it'll be open to attacks as it closes in, and you can stop leading it early enough to keep it in an open area (so you have room to maneuver). Honestly the main gripe I have there is waiting for it to path to the initial engagement spot, but even that takes only a minute

tiderippers aren't _hard_ to kill, they're just not nearly as fun in late game (the first poseidon boss when you're like level 17 is some great tense action), whereas slitherfangs always are. the old mountain slaughterspine is thankfully a thing of the past with the introduction of the burning shores slaughterspine easily massacred by overidden thunderjaw next door farm pit

the sierra slaughterspine was a chore to distract away from the roo buddies, unless you wanted to deal with the longer trip to the one in big sur

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I'm just getting started in the game, any general advice? I just backtracked to clean up the various firegleams in the Daunt, but the very next sidequest I took wants me to have more underwater capability to progress so I'm wondering if there's a good main quest point to run up to so I have most of the utility items to minimize future backtracking. Is ice still the element du jour?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Falukorv posted:

tiderippers do have the heart weakpoint the front that is pretty satisfying to land hits on.

but yeah all elemets except shock and frost needs a buff, and frost needs a nerf. at this point in the game im using frost alot less on purpose for fights to have a bit more bite and make weakpoints more rewarding. i could see frost for example not completely negating armor, and reducing the multiplier on body/non-weakpoit hits, that it does both is very OP with how infinitely scalable impact damage is.

shock and acid are my most used elements nowadays.

I feel like it conceptually makes more sense for Corrosion to do more armor negation than Brittle; not sure why it's the other way around.

And conceptually for Brittle I'd imagine something like "significant multiplier on impact damage, slowed movement, but less armor reduction."

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Grayshift posted:

I'm just getting started in the game, any general advice? I just backtracked to clean up the various firegleams in the Daunt, but the very next sidequest I took wants me to have more underwater capability to progress so I'm wondering if there's a good main quest point to run up to so I have most of the utility items to minimize future backtracking. Is ice still the element du jour?

There's a point where you have three main quests, for the obstacle blockers you want to do Demeter and Poseidon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Grayshift posted:

There are a ton of accessibility features to tune the game for you. Maybe you like slightly challenging content but don't want to have to farm for machine parts, you can keep enemy health and damage high, but make them drop the rare parts more often, etc