Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

While I do think it's a good show the first episode is pretty heavy and will probably turn anyone looking for 'easy watching' off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

MarcusSA posted:

She’s not even from mars

Veronica Neptune didn't have the same ring to it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

this was another Bryan Fuller project right? god dammit lol

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Michelle Yeoh To Star In ‘Blade Runner 2099’ Sequel Series For Prime Video

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeoh rules, and I'm glad to hear the project isn't dead. I think the setup coming out 2049 is really compelling.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've posted about this elsewhere but the fact the sequel was excellent was really unexpected sand the fact the people behind it aren't doing anything with the show afaik isn't inspiring me with hope

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've said it before but the setting of 2049 feels about a decade away from total collapse and possibly extinction on the high end, It doesn't feel ripe for sequel possibilities

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

I've posted about this elsewhere but the fact the sequel was excellent was really unexpected sand the fact the people behind it aren't doing anything with the show afaik isn't inspiring me with hope

That's my issue. Casting Yeoh has my curiosity, but making the follow up to 2049 a TV show instead of a movie with all different people gets me far less interested.

2049 being as good as a was was a miracle achieved through the people involved. Thinking they can catch lightning in a bottle again under different circumstances is the same reason I have no hope for Tron: Ares. (I know Jeff Bridges was just announced to be in that, but that just poses more questions to me, honestly, and makes me think they're either retconning the end of Legacy, or ignoring the impact of it.)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 7, 2024

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

swickles posted:

My wife needs some recommendations for easy watching. She is looking for shows with female leads, something light hearted, but doesn't have to be a comedy per se. Her favorite show of all time is Gilmore Girls. Other shows she likes:
Zoey's Infinite Playlist
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Bonus if the shows also have music/musicals. She is almost done with Call the Midwife, which she really enjoys as well.

We Are Lady Parts

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sumo posted:

We Are Lady Parts

Good shout. Season 2 starts in like three weeks as well

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

That's my issue. Casting Yeoh has my curiosity, but making the follow up to 2049 a TV show instead of a movie with all different people gets me far less interested.

2049 being as good as a was was a miracle achieved through the people involved. Thinking they can catch lightning in a bottle again under different circumstances is the same reason I have no hope for Tron: Ares. (I know Jeff Bridges was just announced to be in that, but that just poses more questions to me, honestly, and makes me think they're either retconning the end of Legacy, or ignoring the impact of it.)

Cameron Monaghan is in Ares and apparently he says that whatever they're doing with filming is so over the top that he keeps hanging out on set on days he isn't filming.

But yeah, considering the most recent Blade Runner thing was an animated series that just wasn't very good I don't have high hopes for the new show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thrawn527 posted:

Mostly unrelated, but I adore Villeneuve for being asked,"2049 wasn't a big box office success, what did you do wrong?" with basically,"I made a great film, if the audience wasn't there for it, gently caress 'em, they should have better taste."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
2049 is fascinating in that it’s a good example of how a movie can be great while also being kind of dull as hell

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

swickles posted:

My wife needs some recommendations for easy watching. She is looking for shows with female leads, something light hearted, but doesn't have to be a comedy per se. Her favorite show of all time is Gilmore Girls. Other shows she likes:
Zoey's Infinite Playlist
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Bonus if the shows also have music/musicals. She is almost done with Call the Midwife, which she really enjoys as well.

For music/musicals, Shmigadoon is amazing. It’s led by a couple, but the FMC is great!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My wife put on an early episode of Sex and the City to have in the background while we were cleaning, and both Will Arnett and James Urbaniak were in it. And funnily enough, Arnett’s character is compared to George Michael, and Urbaniak’s character is named Buster.

It is kind of funny to watch the first few seasons and see just how many minor appearances there are by people who made it big later. Also really funny how Brooklyn is considered the equivalent of a garbage pile at the time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

2049 is fascinating in that it’s a good example of how a movie can be great while also being kind of dull as hell

I don't know if I've ever made it through the original without dozing off, then you see parts of it half awake and that just makes it even better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

My wife put on an early episode of Sex and the City to have in the background while we were cleaning, and both Will Arnett and James Urbaniak were in it. And funnily enough, Arnett’s character is compared to George Michael, and Urbaniak’s character is named Buster.

It is kind of funny to watch the first few seasons and see just how many minor appearances there are by people who made it big later. Also really funny how Brooklyn is considered the equivalent of a garbage pile at the time.

I assume Sex and the City was like Law & Order where they were just pulling from the NYC actor pool which is how you end up with a lot of people who eventually became famous.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

I assume Sex and the City was like Law & Order where they were just pulling from the NYC actor pool which is how you end up with a lot of people who eventually became famous.

Same with Seinfeld who even features Kristin Davis.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wish Sex and the City was more like Law and Order. Both shows are missing something and this combo fills in the gaps.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Elliot punching every dude the ladies break up with?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
ice t "so what samantha just did with mr. big, the kids on the street they call that.."
'

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://deadline.com/2024/05/resident-alien-usa-network-move-nbcu-netflix-1235907744/

Article about Resident Alien's uncertain future. It seems pretty much a given that Syfy isn't going to order more episodes but if it moves over to USA there's going to be a fairly big budget cut.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Parasyte: The Grey is really cool, i've been waiting for another Korean sci-fi show for a while. This fits the bill nicely.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

https://deadline.com/2024/05/resident-alien-usa-network-move-nbcu-netflix-1235907744/

Article about Resident Alien's uncertain future. It seems pretty much a given that Syfy isn't going to order more episodes but if it moves over to USA there's going to be a fairly big budget cut.

drat, I just watched Resident Alien a week ago, that's really sad news.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ah, Syfy keeping up its venerable tradition of canceling shows that are threatening to be too popular

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if Syfy completely closed down in a year because they really don't have anything going on as a brand any more.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Chucky and that's it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shageletic posted:

I wish Villeneuve dedicated a decade to BR rather than Dune, honestly.

Also for the poster whose wife loves Gilmore Girls and Mrs Maisel, just making sure she’s seen Bunheads too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wish Villeneuve dedicated a decade to BR rather than Dune, honestly.

I think the chances of Villeneuve having any further involvement in BR ended when Scott threw him under the bus.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GreenNight posted:

Chucky and that's it.

That's also shared with USA.

Other than that they have Reginald the Vampire and Surreal Estate, neither of which are setting the world alight.

Syfy does seem to be circling the drain.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

bull3964 posted:

That's also shared with USA.

Other than that they have Reginald the Vampire and Surreal Estate, neither of which are setting the world alight.

Syfy does seem to be circling the drain.

Was The Expanse the last serious science fiction show they made?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Luvcow posted:

ice t "so what samantha just did with mr. big, the kids on the street they call that.."
'

First off, Samantha would never do anything with Mr. Big. :colbert:

Second, Mr. Big (Chris Noth) was already a regular on multiple Law and Order series!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PriorMarcus posted:

Well, I guess they are still making "The Ark" which has a Season 2 airing sometime this year.

Technically Killjoys lasted longer than "The Expanse" on Syfy (2019 vs 2018). I will also die on the hill that Killjoys was good throwback 90s action scifi fun.

But ever since 2020, things have been bare. Genre TV seems to thrive more on streaming, but NBCU seems reluctant to go all in on Peacock originals due to poor subscription uptake at the same time they are slashing the gently caress out of budgets for their networks. Syfy has no new orignals on its slate for this year to my knowledge. That's kinda crazy. It really makes me feel like they are running out the clock on the contracts they have. I bet Syfy is going to turn into another all movies/reruns network like FXX.

In other enshitification news. Amazon now plans to show pause screen ads on top of the ads they've inserted into shows for those not paying extra.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

PriorMarcus posted:

Killjoys 2015-2018
The Expanse 2015-2018
12 Monkeys 2015-2019
The Magicians 2015-2020
Van helsing 2016-2021
Wynonna Earp 2016-2021
Everything after that mostly sucked. Resident Alien and Chucky are the only shows i remember having any sticking power.

Nightflyers and Krypton probably hurt their feelings, considering the sources.

It was also the rise of the streaming service rebrand-athons, Paramount+ etc.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 8, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

For what it's worth, I liked The Ark, but I'd say it's more of a soapy young adult sci-fi rather than serious, gritty sci-fi, so obviously it's not prestige television at all

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Killjoys 2015-2018
The Expanse 2015-2018
12 Monkeys 2015-2019
Someone forgot Continuum
The Magicians 2015-2020
Van helsing 2016-2021
Wynonna Earp 2016-2021
Everything after that mostly sucked. Resident Alien and Chucky are the only shows i remember having any sticking power.

Nightflyers and Krypton probably hurt their feelings, considering the sources.

It was also the rise of the streaming service rebrand-athons, Paramount+ etc.

Vagrant Queen was something else. Started out vaguely inept, slowly grew into an incredibly bleak space opera. Like a good version of Final Space.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Rappaport posted:

For what it's worth, I liked The Ark, but I'd say it's more of a soapy young adult sci-fi rather than serious, gritty sci-fi, so obviously it's not prestige television at all

I think Nightflyers was their one shot at another Expanse grade show. They blew it, as is tradition.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Vagrant Queen was something else. Started out vaguely inept, slowly grew into an incredibly bleak space opera. Like a good version of Final Space.

I thought that was a Netflix show.

I didn't forget Continuum, i only took shows that started at the same time as the Expanse or newer.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 8, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I couldn't give Vagrant Queen more than a single episode (and almost turned it off before it was done) and I'm incredibly forgiving of schlocky and weird. For fucks sake, I'm currently rewatching Lexx.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I tried Vagrant Queen and thought it was fun enough, but yeah didn't really get hooked and the flippant tone was a bit offputting. Good to hear that it evolves a bit as it goes, will definitely give it another shot some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really liked Killjoys, but I can't forgive them from going from a really kickass theme song to "whoo hooooo.... whoo hooooo.... whoo hooo whoo hooooo"