Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I checked, apparently Boucheron's default promotion is Berserker, so he doesn't have the Bow proficiency. So you do have to get that (and you want to, because Berserker sucks in this game).

Granted, this is second-hand investigation because I literally never promoted Boucheron before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
You should use Celine and put her on a griffin.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Chapter 6: The Stolen Ring :siren:

Now that we have a couple open nodes on the world map, we'll start seeing skirmishes pop up. It's nice for getting some extra exp or forging material, but Engage throws us a curveball - at least on Hard and above, skirmishes are scaled to where you are in the plot, NOT where they show up on the map. This means that once we reach a certain point, the encounters will be hard enough that it will be functionally impossible to catch up anyone that falls behind. And that's fine, they were probably benched for a reason, but it can be a rude surprise if you come into it with the intent to get someone up to speed.

Anyway, let's get ourselves another ring.

The landscape's gotten rockier.

We're near Brodia. It's all mountains up there.

I'm seeing fewer villages as well. Makes this a good place to hide an Emblem Ring, I suppose.

Yeah. The closer you are to the Brodian border, the colder and quieter it gets. Look. Not a soul in sight.

You're right. There's no one around...

Except her.

Oh! I wonder what she's doing here.

Ugh... Ugh...

She's crying.

Well, doesn't that break the heart? I'd better help. I am her prince, after all. I won't stand by when my people are suffering.

Alfred, wait!

Alfred isn't the smartest boy, but his heart is in the right place. There's a very Eirika and Ephraim kind of relationship that he and Celine have, with regard to how capable they would be as rulers.

Hey there!

Huh?

What's the matter? Something I can help with?

Zuh... Zuh...

I knew we'd startle you. Sorry for popping up out of nowhere and─

Zappy! You came just in time! I'm saved!

Uh...

I lost something earlier and there was nobody around to help, so I got real stressed out.

Meet Yunaka. There are many strong opinions to be had about Engage, but pretty much everyone loves Yunaka. :allears:

Hiya...papaya?

Huh! I've never heard that one before. Anyway, what did you lose, Yunaka?

It's a little round ring. Kind of shiny with a hole in the middle? Oh, and it talks, for some reason.

Come again?

Yeah, I figured you wouldn't believe me.

I believe you. It might be an Emblem Ring.

Please, go on. What did it say?

Hm... If I remember right, it asked me to take it to the Divine Dragon.

To me?

Is that─ Did you─ Are you saying you're the Divine Dragon?

Yes, I am. I'm sorry I didn't mention it sooner.

And now that we're doing introductions, I'm Alfred, the prince of Firene.

I think I just had a heart attack... Nope, false alarm. Whew.

I'm so sorry. I never meant to impact your health.

Yunaka, how did you find the ring?

I was walking along the border, minding my own business, when I heard a woman's voice. "Help me... I'm right here... I'm by your foot."

Huh. You're quite the performer.

Anyway, I picked up the ring and she said, "Take me to the Divine Dragon." But at that point, I had no idea where the Divine Dragon was! So I told her I couldn't help. She knew the way, though. Told me to start heading for the capital of Firene.

That's good advice. The quickest way to get to Lythos is through the capital.

But on the way, I was attacked by bandits and ran off full speed...and now the ring's gone. I must have dropped it somewhere! Woe is me! But now that you're here, you're gonna help me find it! Right? Right?

After hearing her story, this definitely sounds like an Emblem Ring. Probably the Ring of the Dawn Maiden. But that means someone took it from the shrine.

Or it could be another Emblem Ring. We'll just have to find it and see for ourselves.

All right, Yunaka. We'll help you.

Golly, that's great news! She'll be so happy if you're the one who finds her!

Let's start by retracing your steps.

So Yunaka is A Lot™. It's hard not to smile at how silly she is, even while it's incredibly obvious that she's hiding a lot under that peppy exterior. We've known her for approximately 5 seconds, but did anyone not immediately twig that she stole this "missing" ring?

Maybe somebody got to it before we did.

Yeah, everyone's combing the area. If it was lying around, we would have found it by now.

You're sure you didn't lose it before the bandits attacked?

I had it on me when I passed through that ghost town over there... Huh?!

What is it?

It looks like the town's overrun with bandits.

What? How can you tell?

I'll bet these are the same chumps who ambushed me earlier.

Let's take a closer look.

These are the bandits I ran into earlier, no doubt about it. And that means one of them's got... Aha. Right there.

You see it?

Yeah. A burly guy with something glinting in his hand. That's got to be our missing ring.

What do you think, Divine One? Is it an Emblem Ring?

Hmm... He's too far. I really can't say. You must have great eyesight, Yunaka.

Yeah, I have a killer's eyes.

What was that?

If you ever need something looked at real good, I'm your gal! Hehehe...

Smooth. :allears:

Anyway! What's the plan? Now we've got two problems that need solving.

A stolen ring, and a town full of bandits.

The ring's our first priority, but we can't leave them unchecked.

We'll only attract attention if we all charge in at once. I say we split up. You know, send in a small group to recover the ring. Nice and stealthy.

All right.

OK, then! C'mon, Divine One, you're with me!

And now it's time for the final real tutorial map: Fog of War. This chapter is actually quite easy, and as long as you don't blindly charge forward all the time, you're not in any real danger from foes hiding in the dark.

Base Class: Thief
Class Type: Covert
Personal Skill: Trained to Kill - Grants Crit +15 when on terrain that provides an avoid bonus.
Base Stats:
HP: 25 (50% + 5%)
Str: 8 (35% + 10%)
Mag: 5 (25% + 0%)
Dex: 14 (40% + 20%)
Spd: 12 (45% + 15%)
Def: 9 (15% + 15%)
Res: 7 (45% + 5%)
Luck: 8 (25% + 15%)
Build: 5 (5% + 0%)

Hiya Papaya! Yunaka is a bit of a funny one, because it's very, very easy to make her into a killing machine. Her personal skill is very easy to use since she's a covert unit and you want to put her on to good terrain regardless. Knives are both ranged and very good for forging since they get +2 Mt per level, and they inflict poison for even more damage to boot. The problem is that all of those are things the thief class brings to the table - this is not to discount that big crit bonus by any means, but what Yunaka brings to the table is a lot of magic and res. This makes her a fine mage killer if you were so inclined, but our next thief comes in with 15 strength, so she needs to hit that 45% growth seven times between now and Chapter 11 or we'll just turn around and give all her fancy forged knives to the new guy, who will be even better at her job. The energy drop that we got last chapter would help a lot, but that's currently earmarked for Chloe. We'll have to see how the RNG treats her.

With the map being dark, there isn't really much else to see at the moment. There's a couple guys (including an enemy thief) in the southwest corner of the map, and the boss is hanging out on this pseudo-throne tile in the northwest corner.

Alear and Yunaka are locked into the upper portion of the map, so the rest of the gang assembles in the south. Etie and Clanne are here for what is probably their last map unless they turn things around real quick.

Slipping through a side passage. Smart thinking, Yunaka.

There he is! Let's take him by surprise!

Good idea.

Please, take me to the Divine Dragon.

This'll net me a nice lump of gold. The boss doesn't need to know about it... Hahaha!

Oh, dear. You can't even hear me, can you?

I hear her! That's the voice from before!

That's definitely an Emblem Ring. Yunaka, will you help me get it back?

Of course, you weirdo! That's why we're here.

Right. Well, thank you. You know... Now that I hear her, your impression was incredibly accurate.

Hehe, stop! You're gonna make me blush!

First order of business, let's get ourselves a ring.

We got the ring! Heal us, Emblem of Dawn!

I am Emblem Micaiah. I sense the future shifting... Now victory lies ahead.

Ah, so it is the Ring of the Dawn Maiden. Yunaka, I entrust this ring to you.

Me?! But I...

She belongs with you. All I ask is that in return, you help us defeat these bandits. Will you join with Emblem Micaiah?

Yeah, OK! I won't let you down!

Alear and Yunaka have a pretty straightforward path over to the boss. This little alleyway is only one tile wide and has plenty of cover for either unit to make use of as you go. If you want to take it slower, Yunaka can also snipe these guys from the other side of the wall.

On the south side, Framme lights this torch to reveal a mercenary hiding in the darkness. We'll have company coming up from below in a turn or two as well, but most of our forces will be going through the middle.

Canter also gives us a chance to spot this mage hiding behind the bushes. He has a Thunder tome, which is 1-3 range but can't double under normal circumstances. Since we know where he is now, we'll have Louis retreat a step or two to get out of his range.

Meanwhile, Celine and Bouch head up to deal with this fighter. He has a Hammer, so while he's not likely to hit anyone, it will hurt if he does, especially if that someone is Louis.

Looks like our cover's blown. They're snuffing the torches. Don't sweat it. We can relight them as we go.

After the first turn, the torches go dark. This would be much more of a problem if the boss actually moved, but he will stay right where he is until you get in his attack range, so we just operate on standard fog of war procedures.

Longbows in the darkness are rude, and I appreciate that he has the courtesy to both miss Framme and give me that bow when I kill him.

Solid. Clock's ticking on Alfred, so he'll need a few more of those in short order or his roster spot is in trouble.

We have a mercenary friend who was hiding in that one little corner of darkness, but Bouch and Celine have the area under control.

Magic, but no speed, no strength, and a lot of stuff we generally don't care about. I guess the defense is nice, for all that it matters.

Jean pulls out the Illuminate staff and reveals...a whole lot of nothing. The mage we already knew about, and that guy way over at the edge of the screen is the thief we saw before they put out the torches.

Not so scary without the cover of darkness, huh?

If we were playing this safer, Yunaka would be weakening these guys for Alear to get the kills, but Alear is dodgy enough that it really doesn't matter. Besides, we need to feed her some levels so we see what we have sooner rather than later.

That said, we can get her some exp in a slightly more unorthodox way. One of Micaiah's link skills is "Cleric", which allows the unit to use staves regardless of whether or not their class should be able to.

Since this guy ran way out on his own, we might as well have some fun with him. Fists will break any of the secondary weapons (bows, tomes, and knives), and while it doesn't come up much, it is very funny when it does.

If Alear was actually in any danger, this would have been much less funny, but you did it, friend. You got the big crit with your...uh...shoe-knife.

Yunaka finishes the job and Alear presses forward. This is much less dangerous than it looks, largely because this is the last enemy on this upper path, but also because it's Chapter 6 and we already have 0% hit rates showing up.

Eh... It's okay. The defense is nice.

In the south, we have a Jean level. This is what we want to see if Jean is going to have any long-term use.

It's a little hard to see, but there's an unlit torch between us and this bandit, so Chloe can attack with impunity.

Alfred comes over to pick her off, and reveals what lighting the torch would have gotten us: absolutely nothing!

Okay, NOW there's no more enemies on the upper path. :sweatdrop: Look, he didn't die, and that's what matters, right? That's what vulneraries are for!

Alfred got whacked by a bandit last turn, so Bouch and Chloe return the favor.

This bandit tried to attack Louis with a slim sword, and it went about as well as you'd expect.

Unfortunately, we are exactly one tile away from being able to see the boss. It would have been nice to pop Chloe's Warp Ragnarok, but her engage runs out this turn.

It does last just long enough for him to come and pick a fight with her first, though. This is good, because now she can get a counter in instead of being broken by his hand axe.

Last turn, let's get this cleaned up. Bouch and Clanne deal with the archer for a level that has speed and not much else.

After we patch her up, Chloe and Alfred get the mage behind the boss.

Against Teronda himself, Celine is a single point shy of breaking the first health bar, so Yunaka takes one on the chin for the team.

And we end as we always do, by shoving the boss full of emblem swords.

:siren: End of Chapter :siren:

If not for you, we'd be scratching our heads in an empty shrine right about now. I can't thank you enough.

It was nothing, really...

I wonder who took it from the shrine in the first place.

It must have been those bandits, right?

Uh... Well...

What's the matter?

I didn't find the ring. I stole it.

Huh?

I was strapped for money, and when I saw the shrine, I figured it might have valuables. I went inside, heard Micaiah's voice, and pow, there's the ring staring right at me. I was just looking to make a quick bundle of dough! I'm sorry.

I see.

When I learned that you two were royalty, I panicked and kinda, well...lied. Really, I'm no different from those bandits. I'll accept whatever punishment you give me.

Hold on. You were planning to sell the ring?

Yeah...

Well then, why didn't you? You could have run for the hills as soon as the Divine Dragon handed it to you. We're useless in the dark. Would've been easy to give us the slip. But instead, you stuck around and risked your neck for us. Why?

When she started talking to me, I got this feeling that I just couldn't shake. I felt like...like I had to help her get to the Divine Dragon.

Yunaka has shown me nothing but kindness. Fighting by her side, I saw a bright path ahead. When I sensed Sombron's return, I called out in the dark. It was she who answered. I am to blame for entangling her in all this. Yunaka has done nothing wrong.

I hear you. But she did lie to us. As prince, I'm not supposed to let that go without some sort of punishment.

Lay it on me. I can handle it.

How about...joining our forces?

Say what now?

We're on a journey to collect the Emblem Rings and defeat the Fell Dragon. I know it's a lot to ask, but... Will you pledge yourself to our cause?

What do you think, Alfred? A fitting punishment?

I love it. Our army is pretty lean, so adding a new recruit makes a lot of sense. And Yunaka clearly has raw talent. She could be a real asset.

I won't let you down. Thank you. Both of you.

Uhh... Hehehe! Hiya papaya back atcha, Divine One!

With that settled, let's hurry onward. We've got to cross into Brodia, right?

Yes. Mother sent a letter to the Brodian king when we left the castle. He should be expecting us.

Good. The kingdom of might... I'm curious to see what it's like there.

See, we got a new party member, a new emblem, and a new dog out of this chapter. Nothing but good times.

Huh? Is that... Hey!

Hm?

You're the girl I met in Florra Mill Town! Veyle, wasn't it?

Oh! What a coincidence finding you here, Alear.

I'm glad to see you again. You left so abruptly last time ─ it really caught me off guard. Do you live around here?

No. I'm just passing through. Well, looking for someone, really.

Who are you looking for?

A person I must talk to again, no matter what. My brother.

You were separated, then... I'm sorry. It's painful to be apart from one's family. Do you have any idea where to look?

None. I don't even know what face to look for. We've been apart since I was very young. But he did give me something long ago ─ this.

What a pretty stone.

It's my good-luck charm. I know that as long as I have this, we'll be reunited someday.

I'm sure you will. But don't forget to take care of yourself. Look ─ your leg's wounded.

This kind of thing happens all the time.

Thank you. You're quite kind to help a complete stranger like me.

You're not a stranger. You saved my life, remember? That makes us friends, as far as I'm concerned. And friends help each other.

Friends...

Should I not have said that?

No, no. I'm just so happy to have someone I can call a friend. It's like a dream. I can't recall the last time I was treated with such kindness.

What do you mean by that?

Are you sure?

Thank you for the bandage. Hope to see you again, Alear. *she leaves*

There she goes. See you around, Veyle.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
You didn't show off Micaiah's big selling point this map?

Yunaka is an unabashedly good character writing wise, honestly she's like Astol from FE6. Mechanically inferior to her direct counterparts, but with intelligent writing in her supports.... that largely are about her, and you barely learn anything about the other person in the conversation. To her advantage, Thief's are much better combat wise in this game, and she's also first, which means she gets a lot of time to just be helpful for the player.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 6, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I know the second theif to join does pretty much just have flatly better stats, but Knife wielding classes are just generically good in this game due to how border-line broken knives are. Unless Yunaka gets totally stat hosed on her level ups, I think it’s a pretty good idea to just use both of them. Also she’s just a fun character so there’s that going for her.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Keldulas posted:

You didn't show off Micaiah's big selling point this map?

Yunaka is an unabashedly good character writing wise, honestly she's like Astol from FE6. Mechanically inferior to her direct counterparts, but with intelligent writing in her supports.... that largely are about her, and you barely learn anything about the other person in the conversation. To her advantage, Thief's are much better combat wise in this game, and she's also first, which means she gets a lot of time to just be helpful for the player.

I might have forgotten a thing or two about Micaiah, but isn't her huge selling point as an emblem not available yet anyway?

and yeah definitely felt that way about Yunaka, I was always lucky that she kept hitting STR/RES growths to keep being a mage killer all game, and there's something to be said about how poison got completely reworked for this game. I've heard she drops off for Maddening, since her offenses scale poorly for that and the enemy AI changes hurt her, specifically.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yunaka pretty cleanly beats the later joiner because she gets +2 mov on him for half the game.

Until they both get cleanly beaten by the last dagger user.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I might have forgotten a thing or two about Micaiah, but isn't her huge selling point as an emblem not available yet anyway?

and yeah definitely felt that way about Yunaka, I was always lucky that she kept hitting STR/RES growths to keep being a mage killer all game, and there's something to be said about how poison got completely reworked for this game. I've heard she drops off for Maddening, since her offenses scale poorly for that and the enemy AI changes hurt her, specifically.

Tools that are available right now and were not used in the update.

I was talking about was her Great Sacrifice, and staves affecting all adjacent targets as well when engaged. Great Sacrifice will full heal everyone on the map, and put her at 1 HP. The reason why it's a big boost is that it gives a buttload of experience, due to each healed target adding to the experience given to the Micaiah user. You can easily get half a full level to far more from one use of it, depending on how many people you hit and what level they are relative to the Micaiah user. The aoe healing from staves is also great for exp, because you get exp from each target hit as well.

This map actually hampers the ring so you aren't getting maximum effect, and it's still strong. For example, you can push aggressively with the bottom crew, spread the damage among them, even deliberately take some unnecessary counter-attacks. And then pop off the Great Sacrifice and suddenly Yunaka gets a ton of exp. The top only has 1 range enemies so she's in no danger. And she can heal herself by simply healing Alear while standing next to him for the exp of both targets and getting her out of the danger health. It'd be much more experience than the kills she gotten in this map.

But the selling point later on is that Micaiah doesn't care about the unit it's on, even if they have crap magic, they'll still heal your entire team perfectly well, they may just need to use the Mend staff a bit more. And the exp increases more if you're lower level than the people you're healing. Which makes her an excellent method to quickly raise project characters (hello Jean) or simply give more exp to someone who's fallen behind. Even on Maddening, I've gotten him from level 1 after a physical reclass to level 9ish in two maps, which by that point he can fight perfectly well on his own from the aptitude bonuses.

As for Yunaka falling off on Maddening, she gets hit two ways. Enemy speed rises enough that she stops being able to double far more enemies, which is painful. And Maddening AI doesn't attack people if they don't damage them (0 damage if defense or low single digit %s if dodgy). Which means that Thieves get hit hard since you have to not overdo their avoid when using the bushes and their Covert double benefit from it.

Yunaka is still super useful for a decent span of the game, as she's still durable relative to a lot of your other options what with decent bulk and not getting doubled. An Iron Dagger +3 is fairly low cost while giving her a 1-2 option that far outranks the options of most others for her chunk of the game. And when she starts falling off, the Dagger becomes someone else's if you wish to switch out.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Tools that are available right now and were not used in the update.

I was talking about was her Great Sacrifice, and staves affecting all adjacent targets as well when engaged. Great Sacrifice will full heal everyone on the map, and put her at 1 HP. The reason why it's a big boost is that it gives a buttload of experience, due to each healed target adding to the experience given to the Micaiah user. You can easily get half a full level to far more from one use of it, depending on how many people you hit and what level they are relative to the Micaiah user. The aoe healing from staves is also great for exp, because you get exp from each target hit as well.

This map actually hampers the ring so you aren't getting maximum effect, and it's still strong. For example, you can push aggressively with the bottom crew, spread the damage among them, even deliberately take some unnecessary counter-attacks. And then pop off the Great Sacrifice and suddenly Yunaka gets a ton of exp. The top only has 1 range enemies so she's in no danger. And she can heal herself by simply healing Alear while standing next to him for the exp of both targets and getting her out of the danger health. It'd be much more experience than the kills she gotten in this map.

But the selling point later on is that Micaiah doesn't care about the unit it's on, even if they have crap magic, they'll still heal your entire team perfectly well, they may just need to use the Mend staff a bit more. And the exp increases more if you're lower level than the people you're healing. Which makes her an excellent method to quickly raise project characters (hello Jean) or simply give more exp to someone who's fallen behind. Even on Maddening, I've gotten him from level 1 after a physical reclass to level 9ish in two maps, which by that point he can fight perfectly well on his own from the aptitude bonuses.

As for Yunaka falling off on Maddening, she gets hit two ways. Enemy speed rises enough that she stops being able to double far more enemies, which is painful. And Maddening AI doesn't attack people if they don't damage them (0 damage if defense or low single digit %s if dodgy). Which means that Thieves get hit hard since you have to not overdo their avoid when using the bushes and their Covert double benefit from it.

Yunaka is still super useful for a decent span of the game, as she's still durable relative to a lot of your other options what with decent bulk and not getting doubled. An Iron Dagger +3 is fairly low cost while giving her a 1-2 option that far outranks the options of most others for her chunk of the game. And when she starts falling off, the Dagger becomes someone else's if you wish to switch out.

ah yeah, thanks; I had forgotten all about that and I was thinking of something else entirely.

still, Yunaka good and Micaiah Emblem bonkers

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 7, 2024

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

ah yeah, thanks; I had forgotten all about that and I was thinking of something else entirely.

still, Yunaka good and Micaiah Emblem good

More Yunaka great and Micaiah Emblem completely broken but we are still missing one vital piece.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Micaiah is, IMO, a top 1 emblem. Her only weakness is that her combat is only okay, but it's not even actively bad. This game is second only to Thracia for "insane things you can do with staves."

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Best Girl finally arrives! :toot:

It's hard mode and not lunatic, so the thing that specifically fucks Yunaka over (lunatic AI not attacking if they have a 0% hit chance) does not apply, therefore she fuckin rules and is a bit better than the guy who shows up later because we can put skills on her and such. Unless she gets really screwed in her growths, I'm all in favor of using her forever and forging the hell out of a knife for her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is there a reason Yunaka could hear Micaiah? The random bandits didn’t and if I remember right, nobody else could hear the rings before Alear awoke each one.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fajita Queen posted:

Unless she gets really screwed in her growths, I'm all in favor of using her forever and forging the hell out of a knife for her.

I have some bad news about *checks notes* literally everyone's levels in 6x. :v:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Can't wait until we get Roy's ring, which has the power of making you incredibly mediocre except you can OHKO the final boss because of reasons

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I think skirmishes (and the DLC maps) actually use some different formula to calculate difficulty, because after early promoting my Alear, suddenly everything was level 20 and capable of killing poor Louis with physical attacks. Had to have either been the early promotion or the DLC giving you a bunch of level 20 characters.

(Also, I highly recommend doing the story DLC, the story is so bad.)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The thing that makes Yunaka my preferred thief (other than the character, obviously), is that while her strength is merely passable and she needs forged knives to reliably do one-round kills, she gets that and decent HP and a shitton of resistance. The hard counter to Covert units and their unlimited dodge is that Mystical units get a class trait that lets them ignore terrain bonuses, which makes them a threat to any thief that isn't Yunaka or I guess if you reclassed someone like Céline.

girl is an absolutely unkillable menace so long as you can get her on some defensive terrain

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Faillen Angel posted:

Micaiah is, IMO, a top 1 emblem. Her only weakness is that her combat is only okay, but it's not even actively bad. This game is second only to Thracia for "insane things you can do with staves."

The only problem with Micaiah's emblem's combat is that if you're using her combat, you're not using the other parts of her kit on that turn.

The opportunity cost is insane because of how broken and unique her other benefits are.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'd also point out that the 0% hit problem doesn't really hurt Yunaka on Maddening because a future refine lets you drop Avo for Crit.

Like having run through the game twice on that difficulty, I do feel she just blows the next thief out the water.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is there a reason Yunaka could hear Micaiah? The random bandits didn’t and if I remember right, nobody else could hear the rings before Alear awoke each one.

she's sothe

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Micaiah does have a thing for thieves.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

I think skirmishes (and the DLC maps) actually use some different formula to calculate difficulty, because after early promoting my Alear, suddenly everything was level 20 and capable of killing poor Louis with physical attacks. Had to have either been the early promotion or the DLC giving you a bunch of level 20 characters.

Yeah skirmishes can very easily become unwinnable very early on if they just so happen to have an unfavorable unit mix.

And the story xenologue has some, uh, interesting balancing for the characters it sends your way, either they completely screw up the balancing as you described if you get them too early or they're completely unsalvageable if you did it as it dropped, on the file you had since launch, and got them at endgame.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It's kind of funny, skirmishes are very simplistic in terms of tactics since all enemies in them just collapse onto your team's position. They can be absolute hell to get through without deaths though, since all the enemies scale to your best units and this consequently makes the non-training battles horrible for bringing people up to speed on Classic mode.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Also, training battles can end up being entirely useless since the game will probably match your trainee up against folks who are an insurmountable challenge. Basically, the only way to make your low-level units competitive is to slap Micaiah's emblem on them and make them staffbots.

Man, I miss Bonus EXP.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

CullenDaGaDee posted:

It's kind of funny, skirmishes are very simplistic in terms of tactics since all enemies in them just collapse onto your team's position. They can be absolute hell to get through without deaths though, since all the enemies scale to your best units and this consequently makes the non-training battles horrible for bringing people up to speed on Classic mode.

It's kind of fun though, in a challenge-mode kind of way. I look forward to my designated 3 skirmishes per game on maddening as a way to test my team+ my ability to get the most out of my emblems, especially crowd-control wise.

Also I think people way overstate the effects of the ai not attacking 0 damage and unhittable units, it's really easy to circumvent and still enemy phase guys. I also prefer Yunaka's native crit bonus over Zelkov's personal. Of course my personal favorite knife user is Merrin.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 7, 2024

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Artix posted:

I have some bad news about *checks notes* literally everyone's levels in 6x. :v:

All right! Now it's a real Something Awful Fire Emblem Let's Play! :munch:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The second thief is weird in that while I think he’s on paper better than Yunaka, he comes when you’ve got a lot of good units. Yunaka doesn’t, so it’s easy to add her to the list of people who deserve to actually get resources.

The second thief also really doesn’t want to be a thief as it wastes his Build, so he spends a lot of time durdling around to try and class change into an advanced class.

The third knife user completely blows Yunaka out of the water though and is one of the most powerful units in the game.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

RevolverDivider posted:

The third knife user completely blows Yunaka out of the water though and is one of the most powerful units in the game.

Also her class is extremely cool.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

mycatscrimes posted:

It's kind of fun though, in a challenge-mode kind of way. I look forward to my designated 3 skirmishes per game on maddening as a way to test my team+ my ability to get the most out of my emblems, especially crowd-control wise.

Also I think people way overstate the effects of the ai not attacking 0 damage and unhittable units, it's really easy to circumvent and still enemy phase guys. I also prefer Yunaka's native crit bonus over Zelkov's personal. Of course my personal favorite knife user is Merrin.

I'm also confused as to why that's always stated to be a bad thing. A portable wall tile that can not only create narrower choke points to funnel enemies down(or just close a 1 tile choke off completely), but also gets to toss a couple knives to maim or kill an enemy on player phase? Sign me up, please!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm also confused as to why that's always stated to be a bad thing. A portable wall tile that can not only create narrower choke points to funnel enemies down(or just close a 1 tile choke off completely), but also gets to toss a couple knives to maim or kill an enemy on player phase? Sign me up, please!

Yunaka falling off on damage faster is a way harder issue to deal with because you need to do at least one point of damage to get the knife debuff, iirc.

Of course I like to run Draconic Hex on my knife users and that procs on 0 damage, which helps.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The "doesn't attack 0 hit" problem is actually the most minor of Yunaka's issues on Maddening. The bigger problems are that Thieves are a one-and-done class that doesn't promote, and that Maddening has decreased EXP gains. It's not that other characters are better than her at comparable levels and classes, it's that they get promotion bonuses and she doesn't, giving them a big and useful sudden boost in power compared to her; the problem isn't the next Thief is better at a comparable level, the problem is that the next Thief with 3+ levels on her is inarguably better.

Like, you can invest in her on Maddening and she can keep up. But she does require investment, and the other Thief is basically equivalent at equal levels, so from an optimization perspective there's no real reason to constrain yourself like that. Just use her when she's useful and move on when you get someone better, same as most of the game's earliest characters--and just like those other characters, if you want to use her you can. You've got the slack to do that, it won't ruin your playthrough or anything.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Yunaka, and pretty much every unit up until Chapter 11, do have a major thing going for them regarding skills and Emblem rings but it is a bit of a spoiler to go into detail on it.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Cloacamazing! posted:

Doing the DLC early sets your ILV to 20/1. You are actively punished for it.

It's kind of funny.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Einander posted:

The "doesn't attack 0 hit" problem is actually the most minor of Yunaka's issues on Maddening. The bigger problems are that Thieves are a one-and-done class that doesn't promote, and that Maddening has decreased EXP gains. It's not that other characters are better than her at comparable levels and classes, it's that they get promotion bonuses and she doesn't, giving them a big and useful sudden boost in power compared to her; the problem isn't the next Thief is better at a comparable level, the problem is that the next Thief with 3+ levels on her is inarguably better.

Like, you can invest in her on Maddening and she can keep up. But she does require investment, and the other Thief is basically equivalent at equal levels, so from an optimization perspective there's no real reason to constrain yourself like that. Just use her when she's useful and move on when you get someone better, same as most of the game's earliest characters--and just like those other characters, if you want to use her you can. You've got the slack to do that, it won't ruin your playthrough or anything.

You are forgetting the most important optimizations. If you bench her for the other thief or the third knife wielder you leave your team desperately short on "Zappy" energy and find yourself without a "Hiya, papaya" in sight. This leaves your team under performing to a depressing degree.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 8, 2024

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Honestly Yunaka < Zelkov is a pretty small power gap that can be balanced by her personal if you like crit fishing. Meanwhile Panette's hanging around with like ten points more str than every other axe user at a comparable level and running like 50-70% crit numbers with minimal investment. (Don't quote me i'm going by vibes not numbers). (Panette loving rules)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

You are forgetting the most important optimizations. If you bench her for the other thief or the third knife wielder you leave your team desperately short on "Zappy" energy and find yourself without a "Hiya, papaya" in sight. This leaves your team under performing to a depressing degree.

:hmmyes:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

That's right.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Faillen Angel posted:

Doing the DLC early sets your ILV to 20/1. You are actively punished for it.

It's kind of funny.

Lol

Yeah, I had one nasty surprise when I brought my level 7 party to the first Divine Paralogue... Ended up beating that one with a promoted Alear, the DLC characters, Etie and Framme. Literally every enemy could oneshot those last two.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Chapter 6 Supports :siren:

First thing on the agenda today, we turn Yunaka into a monster. Or at least, more of one than she already was. If she picks up some strength along the way, all the better, otherwise we just move this baby right over to the next thief.

Despite this, she only beats Bouch in the arena because he missed one of his axe hits. And that...sure is a level for our trouble. We never turn down build when it comes up, but 6 build doesn't do a lot for her. 7 would let her use Silver Daggers without penalty, and Steel only weighs 5 so that wasn't a problem anyway.

lmao thanks game, appreciate that one

Anyway, since we're here, we might as well deal with the elephant in the room.

Stat Boosts:

Magic (1-4), Res (2-5), Luck (2-6)

Weapons:
  • Shine - 7 Mt, 90 Hit, 10 Crit, creates light on the map as if the unit had used a torch
  • Nosferatu - 9 Mt, 85 Hit, Unit recovers HP equal to 50% of damage inflicted
  • Thani - 11 Mt, 100 Hit, effective against Calvary and Armored units

Engraving

-3 Mt, -1 Weight, +40 Avoid, +20 Crit Avoid

Inheritable Skills:
  • Res +2 -> Res +5
  • Staff Mastery 1 -> 5 - Gain [+10 - +30] Hit and heal [+3 - +15] HP when using a staff
  • Staff Proficiency, Knife Proficiency, Tome Proficiency
  • Silence Ward - Unit cannot be silenced
  • Healing Light - When using a staff, unit recovers HP equal to 50% of the amount healed

Engage Skills
  • Cleric(+/++) - Unit can equip staves up to rank [C/B/A], regardless of class
  • Augment - Staff Range +5, area of effect +1, [Dragon] units have +1 range, [Qi Adept] units heal +20% HP
  • Great Sacrifice - Heal all allies and NPCs to full HP, reduce user's HP to 1. [Dragon] units lose 70% of current HP instead of being dropped to 1, [Armored] units grant Def +1 to all units being healed, [Qi Adept] units also heal status ailments.

Micaiah is all about pure, unadulterated staves bullshit. Just on a basic level, she lets literally anyone use a staff, they get to heal themselves on top of healing others, their status ailments are more accurate, and god forbid that you're engaged with Micaiah because then all of those things also happen on an area instead of a single target. And we haven't even talked about Great Sacrifice, which not only heals every friendly unit on the battlefield, but gets you a giant chunk of experience in the process. Her weapons aren't great, none of them are particularly strong, but she still has Nosferatu so you can't call it a bad list either. Really, the worst you can say about her is that her stat bonuses are underwhelming and she probably wants a unit who can bring at least a little bit of magic to the table. Other than that? She works on just about anyone, and is a strong contender for the best emblem in the game.

The cafe is also now open, allowing us to get easy support points and stat boosts all at once. First, we pick which characters are dining. They'll both gain support points with Alear, and if they can support each other, they'll get those too.

Next, you pick the dish in question. You can see which stats will get boosted, which ingredients you need to make it, and whether your dining partners will even like it.

Provided that the chef in question is actually capable of making the dish, you get a ranking and (maybe) a bonus effect. Poorly done dishes provide less benefits than advertised, good ones go above and beyond as Framme aptly demonstrates.

In today's batch of Alear supports, he meets the Firenese Royal Knights. They are uh...something, that's for sure.

Elsewhere, Etie and Alfred are being weird about muscles, Bouch tries to get Framme into Game of Thrones, and our MVPs are busy being weird about people-watching.

Finally for today, we have the well. It's pretty straightforward: you throw garbage in, come back after a map, and get different (hopefully better) garbage back out. The higher quality the stuff you put in, the more likely you are to get an upgrade, but this is an easy way to recycle weapons and items we're no longer using. At worst, we'll get something similar in a different type and we just chuck it right back in the well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Important notes: As mentioned in the last(?) Somniel update, which emblems we have access to will change throughout the game. For the purposes of class changing, this mostly doesn't matter - Marth provides swords, but so does Sigurd, Roy, Ike, etc. In the case of magic, however, Celica and Micaiah are our only source of Tomes, and Micaiah is (currently) the only one who can give us Staff Proficiency, and we will be losing access to both of them after Chapter 10. If there is anyone in the party that we want to switch to a magic class, we need to give them one of these emblems now so they have time to get those proficiencies before we lose them. A few options:
  • The 6x recruit is the opposite of Clanne, a physical unit with magic growths, although she has enough other problems that we may not want to commit to using her.
  • Jean and Framme would both like tomes to unlock High Priest, although Jean will probably pick up enough strength that he can get away with simply hanging out in Master Monk instead. Jean would also make an excellent Sage if we were so inclined, especially if he keeps cashing in on that 70% magic growth.
  • Chloe and Celine will both get staves upon promotion, but Chloe certainly has enough magic that she would do well as a caster. We also have the option of going into something like Royal Knight (Phys Weapon/Staves), although that's functionally worse Griffon Knight.

Pick your poison below, who are giving Celica and Micaiah to?