Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

credburn posted:

Thanks, gang. My personal war against change is not going well, and the password battle has been lost entirely I think. I'll check out 1Password!

Once you get it all set up you're going to be pissed at yourself for not doing it sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

A good password manager is easier than reusing passwords. You click a button and it will generate a new secure password, and then remember and autofill that password whenever you revisit the site, across platforms.

It's self-reinforcing, because as you move to a site where you made an account using the old bag-of-passwords system, the inconvenience of it not being in the manager will make you want to update your password.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Also, if you primarily use Apple devices you can just use their built in Keychain password manager, that's pretty solid. It's what I have my mother using because she's strictly iPad and iPhone these days.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My computer's stereo speakers are dying. I inherited a pair of nicer speakers, which I'd been using for a basically-never-used TV. I'd like to use them for the computer instead, but their cables each end in two small bare-metal wires. The desktop computer, of course, expects a 1/8" audio jack. Is there some kind of converter I can get to make that work properly?

Actually, the way my current setup works is:

- Subwoofer plugs into the computer's audio output, and into a 120V receptacle for power
- L/R speakers plug into the subwoofer's 1/8" audio port, and into a USB port on the computer, presumably for power

The "new" L/R speakers I want to use don't have independent power. Presumably that means that they rely on the current in their two wires being strong enough to directly drive the speaker membrane, right?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Password managers also act as a minor phishing guard. If I click on an email that looks like a convincing fake of a service and takes me to a login page. I can't login because I don't know my own password and the password manager doesn't autofill because it's the wrong domain.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My computer's stereo speakers are dying. I inherited a pair of nicer speakers, which I'd been using for a basically-never-used TV. I'd like to use them for the computer instead, but their cables each end in two small bare-metal wires. The desktop computer, of course, expects a 1/8" audio jack. Is there some kind of converter I can get to make that work properly?

You want a stereo amplifier.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If I dial 0 and ask for the operator will it work?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Baron Porkface posted:

If I dial 0 and ask for the operator will it work?

Try it and find out. Probably not though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ah, that's a shame. If it's gonna cost that much, I should probably just buy new computer speakers.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

ah, that's a shame. If it's gonna cost that much, I should probably just buy new computer speakers.

There are cheaper Chinese ones on Amazon they're just of questionable quality. It's a product category aimed at hobbyist nerds these days since most people just buy computer speakers with built in amps.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

wash bucket posted:

There are cheaper Chinese ones on Amazon they're just of questionable quality. It's a product category aimed at hobbyist nerds these days since most people just buy computer speakers with built in amps.

Also, because everyone has moved on to various powered speakers, chances are you can get a super cheap good quality amp used, especially if you don't mind a large footprint. You just need to make sure it has aux in

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I see others posted while I was searching but something like this should cover it, right? https://www.amazon.com/Amplifier-Receiver-Bluetooth-Amplifiers-Components/dp/B0BX8TGZZF

Obviously if you need audiophile quality then there's $4000 boondoggles.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

credburn posted:

I'll check out 1Password!
Consider Bitwarden. It's free and does the same thing. For $10/year, you can activate the 2FA option, which I highly recommend.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

is there a thread or subforum for discussing musicals/Broadway/the West End?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I read enough articles to make it worthwhile still, but the Atlantic has way too many "think about the children" transphobic articles.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

I'm looking to try out a podcast after basically ignoring the format for my entire life. From what I understand it's basically like a pre-recorded radio show, right?

Something about history would be nice, I'm just looking for anything very informative and well researched. Any suggestions?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The production for the early episodes isn't great, but I loved the History of Rome. Well researched and it covers conflicting accounts or downright spurious history in an entertaining way. History of Byzantium is the natural follow-up but its also a good starting point and better produced.

A lot of folks like Hardcore History. Personally I think it's a little corny, kind of a History Channel vibe. But Dan Carlin covers a lot of neat and diverse topics, so you can dive into whatever historical period or subject you think is most interesting.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 7, 2024

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Historia Civilis is another youtube channel that can absolutely be consumed as a podcast. It's a pretty specific niche but "Greg's Airplanes and Automotives" is really high quality stuff as well, if you're interested in commercial airline history, fighter plane history, or ICE history in general. It has a visual component but it's more or less optional.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

two fish posted:

I'm looking to try out a podcast after basically ignoring the format for my entire life. From what I understand it's basically like a pre-recorded radio show, right?

Something about history would be nice, I'm just looking for anything very informative and well researched. Any suggestions?

"History of philosophy without any gaps" and its offshoots are well researched, very detail-oriented, and officially funded by the university of cambridge

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

two fish posted:

Dark Histories with Ben Cutmore is one of my favorites. Each episode is about some kind of historical mystery (a crime, a supernatural legend, etc.) that Ben explores in light of its historical and social context, including evaluating the historical sources of info on the mystery. It's really well-researched and well-written -- I find even the episodes about the more famous legends (e.g., Spring-Heeled Jack) are still really interesting because of what I learn about the cultural context and sources of the legend.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

two fish posted:

I started listening to podcasts while my kid needed long walks in the stroller to fall asleep, so I'm kinda new in the game too. But to answer the first part of your question, a podcast is whatever audio someone decides to put in a series and distribute the way podcasts are distributed. Currently, I have a literal current events radio show that I listen to while commuting (as opposed to when it airs) and a (leftist) newspaper with a host talking to the journalists about their articles (both in Danish). During my paternity i binged Apocrypals, two comic book nerds talking about bible, with one of them doing his research pretty well and explaining the context and the other being a listener insert to ask stupid questions basically. When I have time, I also listen to Saga Thing, which is two medieval literature experts drinking beer and reading through the Icelandic sagas. Both of those are pretty good, and while not exactly history themed, they have a lot of history stuff in them.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What are the Danish shows? I’d love a half-decent news podcast

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

What are the Danish shows? I’d love a half-decent news podcast

Radio Information is the newspaper one and currently my favourite. It's not at all neutral, but it feels pretty well researched. The other one is Orientering på P1. The quality is not what it was, but it's literally half decent, and best when they manage to interview someone who knows the issue at hand properly. They do "accidentally" get some strong opinions from guests occasionally, good and bad alike.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

two fish posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said, it may also be worth checking out the The Historical, Informational, and Educational Podcast Megathread over in "Rapidly Going Deaf".

Edit: I also second the recommendation for "History of philosophy without any gaps". I've found that one consistently engrossing through all the years I've been listening to it.

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 7, 2024

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

two fish posted:

Slate’s One Year is pretty cool, each season focuses on a single year, while each episode covers a major event from that year.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

How much is too much when it comes to probiotic food?

There's this one brand of "smart water" that comes with probiotic sprinkles or something and it seems to be very popular. But I see people drinking it all day every day and I'm wondering at what point would they just be giving themselves diarrhea?

mystes
May 31, 2006

wash bucket posted:

There's this one brand of "smart water" that comes with probiotic sprinkles or something and it seems to be very popular. But I see people drinking it all day every day and I'm wondering at what point would they just be giving themselves diarrhea?
I haven't really looked into it, but my impression is that there isn't solid evidence that probiotics are beneficial and I'm not sure but I suspect that also means that there isn't solid evidence that they even have any effect in the first place. (Except maybe after taking antibiotics or something.)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yogurt is tasty though.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

While we're on yoghurt. Why do the curds and whey start separating from my tubs of yoghurt after it's been opened and not before. What reaction is happening that having it exposed to air is causing it to start the process? It very much is an open to the air thing too as sometimes the tubs sit in the fridge for a while and don't separate until after opening.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I don't think probiotics have much benefit unless your gut bacteria is already depleted from antibiotics or whatever but I think they're one of those things that it's very hard to take too much of, like you'd have to go way over the recommended amount to actually give yourself negative digestive effects.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 8, 2024

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

kalel posted:

is there a thread or subforum for discussing musicals/Broadway/the West End?

I was looking for such a thread recently, but couldn't find one. Not even obvious where it would go. If you find one or decide to create one, do let me know so I can post in it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Inceltown posted:

While we're on yoghurt. Why do the curds and whey start separating from my tubs of yoghurt after it's been opened and not before. What reaction is happening that having it exposed to air is causing it to start the process? It very much is an open to the air thing too as sometimes the tubs sit in the fridge for a while and don't separate until after opening.

The microorganisms have access to the chemicals in the air that allow them to start digesting the yogurt which begins what is I believe a thereafter unstoppable chemical process of curdling.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

wash bucket posted:

My understanding aligns with mystes, i.e. there's not a ton of point to probiotic food for most people. The vast majority of the microorganisms in the food will die when exposed to stomach acid, and the ones that don't will be out-competed by your existing gut microorganisms. There might be a point if said gut flora were recently wiped out, but if that's a serious concern then a doctor would probably prescribe a fecal transplant instead of telling you to consume probiotic food.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It always gives me pause that a fæcal transplant is a real thing. I remember a three panel webcomic with the doc being like:

"The results are back: you have the bad poop in your body."

"We will need an operation to put the good poop in your body."

"I am a real doctor."

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Where do they put the poop?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I was looking for such a thread recently, but couldn't find one. Not even obvious where it would go. If you find one or decide to create one, do let me know so I can post in it.

we had a thread for stage musicals but was comically low traffic and I can't find it in my bookmarks any more, either. I'd say just make a new one.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Where do they put the poop?

Top of the large intestine I believe.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

YggiDee posted:

we had a thread for stage musicals but was comically low traffic and I can't find it in my bookmarks any more, either. I'd say just make a new one.

What subforum was it in, out of interest?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Can anyone recommend me an app/website for finding restaurants?

My family unintentionally only goes to the same half dozen restaurants. I was recommended to try a new place by a friend, only to find that I loved it and it had been 5 mins away from my house for years without me realizing it.

I'm looking for 3 main features:
1. A list of restaurants in an area that new ones get added to automatically.
2. The ability to make notes about what I liked or not
3. The ability to filter/hide ones I didn't like

I initially thought Yelp might fit the bill, but it doesn't do 2/3 and generally seems to be a bloated, sponsor filled mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

What subforum was it in, out of interest?

Found it! It's in CD, last post was August
MUSICALS! The Thread