Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Broccoli
Aug 5, 2022
Hmm yes they repeatedly and persistently ignore all his attempts to be polite about their constant nagging until eventually he snapped and was rude once, clearly he should have just tried a slightly different attempt to be polite about it, that would definitely have worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Halloween Jack posted:

If someone "politely deflects" your advice a dozen times, maybe it's your responsibility to stop being thick as pigshit, instead of their responsibility to make things clear to you in a way that doesn't hurt your feelings.

Better yet, don't be a busybody about other people's food in the first place. Literally no one on earth wants their in-laws advice about what toppings to put on a burger at a barbecue. Just shut the gently caress up.

It's scattered interactions over five years, and the most egregious example the guy can come up with is someone mildly overselling paprika. There's probably a step between "No thanks" and "SHUT THE gently caress UP DO YOU THINK I DIDN'T CONSIDER THAT gently caress YOU" he could have tried.

But message received, if I see you at a bbq I won't tell you where the pickles are.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can see them, they’re right there.

TBLALV posted:

Hmm yes they repeatedly and persistently ignore all his attempts to be polite about their constant nagging
I forgot to add that people who act like this will always accuse you of "making a big deal out of it" when you finally tell them to shut up

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 7, 2024

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It's scattered interactions over five years, and the most egregious example the guy can come up with is someone mildly overselling paprika. There's probably a step between "No thanks" and "SHUT THE gently caress UP DO YOU THINK I DIDN'T CONSIDER THAT gently caress YOU" he could have tried.

But message received, if I see you at a bbq I won't tell you where the pickles are.

OP says his wife does it too. I would imagine they interact somewhat frequently. For all we know, her family lives nearby and they get together a few times a month.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

It is simply impossible to navigate other people's annoying behaviour and social blindness, therefore I have the right to act like an angry toddler. Going from 2km/h to 200km/h is perfectly justifiable, I will not be taking questions because I am utterly unequipped to handle them

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

big black turnout posted:

I... did not in fact know that

The thing that jumped out at me about this story wasn't the off the shoulder edict, it was that a 26 year old woman has resigned herself to becoming a hunchback because she's a dentist, instead of doing a few minutes of physio exercises a day to make sure she can stand up straight regardless of career choices.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

boofhead posted:

It is simply impossible to navigate other people's annoying behaviour and social blindness, therefore I have the right to act like an angry toddler. Going from 2km/h to 200km/h is perfectly justifiable, I will not be taking questions because I am utterly unequipped to handle them

There's a pretty big difference between something being justifiable and understandable. I don't see anybody saying that his reaction was a good one or that it was the right thing to do, but I think most people understand something minor slowly driving you nuts until you eventually pop.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TBLALV posted:

Hey this was almost my legal name! My parents decided at the last second to stay sane and just gave me a first and middle name with those initials instead.
If you're a *squints, thinkingly* teenager in the UK then congrats, you might be the very child in question!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

boofhead posted:

OMGSTFU after 10 years culture vs I will bottle this up forever culture.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

house of the dad posted:

There's a pretty big difference between something being justifiable and understandable. I don't see anybody saying that his reaction was a good one or that it was the right thing to do, but I think most people understand something minor slowly driving you nuts until you eventually pop.

that's why the answer is ESH though

the wife and family for being insufferably annoying, and the OP for having the emotional self-control and social communication skills of a child

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Peg Sliderskew posted:

The thing that jumped out at me about this story wasn't the off the shoulder edict, it was that a 26 year old woman has resigned herself to becoming a hunchback because she's a dentist, instead of doing a few minutes of physio exercises a day to make sure she can stand up straight regardless of career choices.

My sister is a tattooist and her back is hosed from having to maintain a hunched over posture, it's really not as simple as a few minutes of physio when you're spending the best part of 8 hours every day hunched over

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
see there watson: the hunched back indicative of a tattooist or dental hygenist.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

boofhead posted:

boofhead posted:

the wife and family for being insufferably annoying, and the OP for having the emotional self-control and social communication skills of a child
This is precisely the kind of aggrieved pouting that annoying busybodies do after you tell them to leave you the gently caress alone.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Benagain posted:

see there watson: the hunched back indicative of a tattooist or dental hygenist.

The first time I met my cousin's wife I asked her what instrument the played as a child, based entirely on her right pinky finger. She was "HOW DID YOU KNOW?" and my cousin was all "I didn't know that about you and we've been together for years."

It's not hard to pick up on stuff like that. The spine is even more obvious.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Maybe the dentist actually just has undiagnosed scoliosis.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Rat Patrol posted:

I agree with your point but published author names are a little different. All those authors go/went by their names to their friends and family. Except CS Lewis who named himself Jack when he was a kid so that's what everyone who knew him called him.

Their friends and family called them what they wished to be called, which really just lends more credence to the main point here of 'call people what they ask to be called'.

A fan would call them by the pen name, a family member by their given name, because that's what's appropriate given the boundaries. ND Stevenson's full name is Nathan Diana, but he goes by ND or Indy professionally and coming up to call him Nate without being a close friend would be loving weird as hell.

We have internal frameworks for people having different names in different contexts, it's super normal for people, and it's actually more work to push back and be hateful about it. But some people, oh lord, they do take up the call.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 7, 2024

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I wonder what his forums name is?

AITA for asking my partner to stop fidgeting with his balls?

quote:

My partner (24M) and I (22F), have been together for almost 2 years now, and have been living together for about a year. I’ve only had one other bf, so I’m not sure if this is “normal” for men to do, but my partner constantly has his hands in his pants. When I say constantly, I mean basically every 10-15 mins, if not just keeping his hands in his pants the whole time. And no, this isn’t a pleasure thing. He formed this habit when he was a young kid. It doesn’t matter if he’s happy, stressed, sad, angry, he’s always touching and stretching out his ballsack between his fingers. Sometimes he makes this god awful squeaking noise by cupping his ball skin in his fist. At first obviously I didn’t see this as alarming, but now I’m just fed up. It’s gotten to the point that I will lightly smack his hand above his junk area and tell him to stop. Over time, this has become somewhat triggering to him, so often times after staying “please stop” he follows up with “you can’t tell me what to do”. It’s even progressed to the point of him saying things like “if you really love me you wouldn’t try to change me”. Now, this is where this little “habit” becomes a real issue. It doesn’t matter if he hasn’t showered in a few days, he will still be constantly fidgeting in his pants. And yes, it loving stinks. If he hasn’t showered and I hit his vape, there’s a slight stank lingering on it. Sometimes I don’t feel comfortable holding hands with him, having him hold my face, touch food, because there’s almost zero guarantee that he hasn’t already touched his junk. In terms of our sex life, he always showers beforehand so luckily I don’t need to worry about that, however, he isn’t the most sexual guy which has me wondering if the overstimulation to his genitalia is causing him to have a low libido. Overall, it’s been a long battle between me and his terrible habit and his consistent argument of “I need to love him without the need to change him and the way he does things” has me wondering if I really am the rear end in a top hat in this situation.
:feelsgood:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FMguru posted:

you never jeopardize the balls

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FMguru posted:

I swear I remember that one from years and years ago, like "Pick was still posting here" times. Not that I'm trying to criticize or anything, it was just kinda funny to suddenly have a war movie-level flashback to the thread going all in on how normal or abnormal it is to just idly fiddle with yourself all day :sweatdrop:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
OP's boyfriend:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

FMguru posted:

quote:

It doesn’t matter if he’s happy, stressed, sad, angry, he’s always touching and stretching out his ballsack between his fingers.

We need to know how low his balls hang. This is important.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And if they wobble to and fro.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Their friends and family called them what they wished to be called, which really just lends more credence to the main point here of 'call people what they ask to be called'.

A fan would call them by the pen name, a family member by their given name, because that's what's appropriate given the boundaries. ND Stevenson's full name is Nathan Diana, but he goes by ND or Indy professionally and coming up to call him Nate without being a close friend would be loving weird as hell.

We have internal frameworks for people having different names in different contexts, it's super normal for people, and it's actually more work to push back and be hateful about it. But some people, oh lord, they do take up the call.

Yeah no, that's why I was agreeing with your general point. Just that people publish under formal rear end names that don't necessarily reflect how you'd talk to them or even how they'd want to be addressed, and also people talk about folks they have never met differently than those who have. I'm not disagreeing at all, like, I don't say The Count of Monte Cristo was written by Alexandre, that'd be weirdly familiar with a dude I have never and will never meet. I just thought invoking author's published names doesn't necessarily make the most obvious case for the argument.

Honestly CS Lewis's name is a cool story. He decided as a very young child he hated Clive, so he just kind of announced to his family one day "I'm Jack" and just like that, he was Jack forever. Imagine, a whole family and lifetime of friends listening when you tell them what your name is and not making a big fuss out of it. They could do it in the 1800s they can do it today.

e: ok he lived most of his life in the 1900s but my point stands

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

Sometimes he makes this god awful squeaking noise by cupping his ball skin in his fist.
…Is it possible to learn this power?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

TACD posted:

…Is it possible to learn this power?

Not from a Jedi.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

AITA for showing a friend a piercing?

quote:

I (f) have my nipples pierced. Over the weekend I went with my friend (m) to get get nose pierced again. We were talking about other piercings. Which hurt most, wondering why my nose bled so much, how this is the only one that made me tear up. While still talking about all the piercings I showed him the ones in my nipples. Now my husband isn’t talking to me. My husband and I have talked. I see his perspective. I have apologized. But he has asked me for an outsiders perspective. Which means Reddit because commenters here are brutal. AITA for showing a friend my piercings?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Oh please, stop clutching your pearls, ya bunch of Helen Lovejoys. You're all absolutely fine saying T.S. Elliot or J.D. Salinger or J.R.R. Tolkien or E.E. Cummings, or J.K. Rowling or A.A. Milne or C.S. Lewis. You'd probably feel weird AF trying to discuss any of those people by their full names bc this is how you know them.

I mean jfc, D.J. was what they called the oldest loving daughter in Full House - so it was common enough as a nickname in the 90s. Fuckin' weird if your mom as a teacher is like no your full, god-given name is Donna Jo Margaret and that's what I'm calling you becausssee...why? What is she protecting here? Name decorum? The sanctity of full names?

We're German. They pronounced it Dieh-tschäi. That's reason enough in my opinion.

She was gonna call the child Donna or Jo or Margaret or Maggie or whatever, but initials aren't really a thing here. There's no sanctity of full names, I had two classmates who chose to go by different names and the teachers just went with it. My grandpa went by a name that wasn't either of his first names for most of his life, to the point where relatives were confused when they saw his tombstone.

Cloacamazing! fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 7, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

I understood your technical argument and intentionally pulled it around to the other side rather than engage in that specific point bc that's getting off the beaten path and this is also a thinly-veiled trans issue. Using ND Stevenson as an example was a tip-off.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I’m 27F in a love triangle with a 25M and 26M. Who do I pick?

quote:

I’m in a difficult situation. Ever since I was in high school I started dating Paul fake name. We had a very toxic relationship where he cheated on me, and was emotionally abusive. This lasted until I was 25 when he cheated on me with my cousin. He cheated on me before but that was the last straw.

I spent a year healing and not dating everyone and then I met Aaron fake name. Aaron is absolutely the most genuine and nicest person I ever met. He’s so sweet, kind, and attentive. But unfortunately we just miss that spark. I’ve been with him for 7 months and he’s treated me like a queen.

Recently Paul messaged me. Paul has finally started getting his life together. Everything I wanted for him. When we were together I was supporting him financially so it’s nice to date Aaron who has a good established career. Paul has gotten his GED and is currently trying to do air traffic control, and get certified from there. He has changed for the better and we still have that spark.

We are starting to talk and hang out every day. This has impacted my relationship with Aaron who feels I been distant. I been mostly hanging out with Paul instead of Aaron. Today I ended up sleeping with Paul and I feel really guilty. I told Paul I need space to process things. That we need to stop before I end up hurting Aaron. Paul told me he’s serious about wanting to fix things between us. I’m afraid that if I do choose Paul what if he hasn’t changed, and he goes back to his old self? Aaron is a great guy and it would suck to lose him , but Paul seems to be too finally.

I’m going to end things with one but I don’t know who yet

Love is hard, I appreciate any advice

Update I gave my ex a chance and he cheated on me….but there is a positive

quote:

I’m extremely sad but proud of myself. The old me would have given him a billion chances, but the first time I was saw he was cheating I dumped his rear end. Paul can talk a good game but his words never matches his actions….The relationship quickly delved back into our old toxic issues.

This entire situation made me realize I didn’t appreciate Aaron. The good news is this allows me to be a better partner for Aaron. Sometimes you need to go through something awful before you go are ready for something great. I think God wanted to experience this so I can be the partner, future wife, and mother Aaron deserves.

Unfortunately he blocked on everything when I broke up with him to date Paul. Luckily he became friends with one of my friends and she’s throwing her birthday party and did me a solid and invited him (he’s coming!) I’m going to speak to him there. I’m going to let him know I broke up with Paul and that I’m ready to be the best partner ever. He’s also a regular church goer (I’m not but) and one time he asked me if I wanted to go to church with him while we were dating, I will take him up on that offer!

But yeah you guys were right about Paul and I should have listened, now using this as an opportunity to grow as person.

Update the party went well

quote:

I wasn’t going to post the update but people keep saying it didn’t go well 😂 actually it did.

At first he avoided me and apparently was mad at my friend but I just walked up to Aaron and said I broke up with Paul. He said sorry to hear and I said can we please talk.

Afterwards we went outside by myself and I told him I broke up with Paul because I realize I love you and I realize that Paul is my past. I told him I love what we had and it’s the best relationship I’ve ever had. He was hesitant but I explained how much I’ve missed him. We both got emotional. It was great to just talk to him again and it further reminded me how much I love him.

We still have a long way to go and he doesn’t want to get back together right away. He wants us to take it slow because he feels like this is happening too fast. He said me going from him to Paul back to him makes him nervous. He said he doesn’t feel like I’m his number one choice like he doesn’t think that I just broke up with Paul because I love him (Aaron). He asked me that I really miss him and realize that I love him. I told him that recently I started thinking about the time that we spent together and I realized that I was so stuck in the past that I wasn’t focusing on the present. The focus on the present that I realize that you are the person I wanna be with for the rest of my life.

I know a lot of you guys were rooting against me, but I want you to know that people can grow. I will be the partner that he deserves, and I can promise you all that whether you believe me or not.

My “friend” betrayed my trust and told my bf something extremely personal and im furious. What can I do to confront her? And to reconcile with my bf?

quote:

My bf Aaron and I have been in the process of reconciling. We broke up the first time because unfortunately I didn’t appreciate him. I started to realize he was the love of my life and we got back together.

Unfortunately, my “friend” had no sense of girl code and told him very private information that hurts everyone and now I’m blocked on everything by him. I reached out to him from a burner number and he told me he feels betrayed and humiliated and to stop contacting him . I’m going to give him some space before I reach out again but right now my “friend” is about to get an earful from me.

I’m so hurt right now I called out of work today

The Aristocrats! (Any takers on the bet the private information is that she was cheating on Aaron with Paul and you should make an informed decision before taking a cheater back?)

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i need to know the private information

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Look, if women really want an equivalent to “bro code” as a term for “helping your friend lie to a romantic partner,” you have that right. But surely you can come up with something better than “girl code.” “Lady law?” That was just off top of head, someone can definitely do better than that.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

is it really that hard to try call people by what they want to be called

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

dervival posted:

is it really that hard to try call people by what they want to be called

it's dumb as hell. i've had people on dates tell me they won't call me by my initials once we're dating proper and then get really mad when i tell them that's a deal breaker

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

ok oj

mystes
May 31, 2006

sometimes a date is like a glove that doesn't fit

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Ominous Jazz posted:

This is how I plan on approaching my defense if I ever get arrested for something. I'm going to tell the judge that everything involved in my case is personal information and that means it has no right to be brought up. My attorney is not respecting bro code and it's not fair to share things that I did that make me look bad.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ominous Jazz posted:

I'm assuming that she slept with Paul before "officially" breaking up with Aaron?

V VV Yeah, but she words it with ambiguity whether or not she told Aaron. I'm assuming she didn't and that's what her friend blabbed about. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 7, 2024

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

No need to assume, she flat-out says so in the first post

Literally how is this woman in her late 20s

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had a co worker named Mike. It was actually on his gov I'd that his name was Mike. A random boomer manager who should have retired years ago came in and refused to call him anything but Michael because Mike was too informal but calling him Mr. So and so was not appropriate for a subordinate. We of course had to all call her Mrs. Such and such because of respect and hierarchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Hughlander posted:

quote:

I’m in a difficult situation. Ever since I was in high school I started dating Paul fake name. We had a very toxic relationship where he cheated on me, and was emotionally abusive. This lasted until I was 25 when he cheated on me with my cousin. He cheated on me before but that was the last straw.

Recently Paul messaged me. Paul has finally started getting his life together. Everything I wanted for him. When we were together I was supporting him financially so it’s nice to date Aaron who has a good established career. Paul has gotten his GED and is currently trying to do air traffic control, and get certified from there. He has changed for the better and we still have that spark.

My ex was emotionally abusive and cheated on me, but now he has changed for the better - he wants to become an air traffic controller, and as we all know air traffic controllers can't be emotionally abusive or cheat!

What?