Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
It's the sharp chin/cheek bones.

I reread the Stroman X-Factor issues a while back, mostly just to look at the art and I think that guy has not gotten enough love. So many of those pages just look like he wants to do fashion plates, but his storytelling doesn't suffer a ton from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

danbanana posted:

It's the sharp chin/cheek bones.

I reread the Stroman X-Factor issues a while back, mostly just to look at the art and I think that guy has not gotten enough love. So many of those pages just look like he wants to do fashion plates, but his storytelling doesn't suffer a ton from it.

The Stroman issues of X-Factor are iconic considering he only did, what 10 issues? To me that’s still what I picture in my mind when I think of X-Factor.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

X-O posted:

The Stroman issues of X-Factor are iconic considering he only did, what 10 issues? To me that’s still what I picture in my mind when I think of X-Factor.

Paul Smith isn't a perfect comp but definitely an iconic and much shorter than you would think given how influential it is.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

danbanana posted:

Me, previously: Eh. Maybe I'll just drop all the X-Books when this Krakoa thing ends.

Me, today: MARK RUSSELL X-MEN YES THANK YOU. https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/x-factor-mark-russell-bob-quinn-from-the-ashes

Pyro still has his face tattoo. That's funny! Everyone died and your still stuck looking like a goober with a skull tattoo.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Fishylungs posted:

Pyro still has his face tattoo. That's funny! Everyone died and your still stuck looking like a goober with a skull tattoo.

duggan had some weird ideas for edginess in marauders..

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

In fairness, Pyro was really drunk at the time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

danbanana posted:

Me, previously: Eh. Maybe I'll just drop all the X-Books when this Krakoa thing ends.

Me, today: MARK RUSSELL X-MEN YES THANK YOU. https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/x-factor-mark-russell-bob-quinn-from-the-ashes

That's a good lineup

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

drat, Hope hadn't had a proper emotional moment written for her in a loooong time. Nice one.

Also happy to see Gillen remembering Legion is supposedly still around.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/the-animal-reawakens-in-new-wolverine-ongoing-series

Saladin Ahmed and Martín Cóccolo are the team for the new Wolverine title.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X-O posted:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/the-animal-reawakens-in-new-wolverine-ongoing-series

Saladin Ahmed and Martín Cóccolo are the team for the new Wolverine title.

Looks like a lot of the predictions based on cover previews were right, we're going back to a more savage and animalistic Wolverine. I am interested in what this major addition to his lore will be.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

quote:

Note to collectors: the new series kicks off with a key first appearance and a major addition to the lore of Wolverine!

:rolleyes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Looks like a lot of the predictions based on cover previews were right, we're going back to a more savage and animalistic Wolverine. I am interested in what this major addition to his lore will be.

The reveal will be he is a mutant Wolverine who became a human, obviously.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The reveal will be he is a mutant Wolverine who became a human, obviously.

Still my favorite bit of Wolverine Lore is that Weapon X stands for 10 and between Wolverine and Captain America there was....
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Weapon_II_(Earth-616)

I love comics, totally unironically.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the LORE of the 'RINE

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
happy reunion with the moms

site fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 8, 2024

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

NikkolasKing posted:

I am interested in what this major addition to his lore will be.

Please let it have nothing to do with Sabretooth.

Put me in charge of X-editorial and I am taking him off the roster for at least 10 years with one exception. He can show up once a year to mess with Wolverine on his birthday and jetpack away.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

happy reunion with the moms

holy poo poo

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Is absolutely anyone enjoying Sabertooth Wars because I haven't seen it

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I think it's one of the worst things I read since I got back into comic books last year.

I may not be the person to ask, though, since I'm not too big on wolverine in general and Sabertooth in particular.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I can't believe we are going to make it through the Krakoa era without Anole's other extremities getting removed/growing back bigger.

After he lost the first arm and it grew back, he was too scared to try with the other limbs. We've seen a future Anole with all 4 extremities having grown back larger. I'm shocked he didn't lose his fear while resurrection was a thing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On the next Wolverine run, not to be that guy who complains about the pitch article, but it doesn't sound enticing. I'm not excited about Wolverine reuniting with his wolf pack, I also haven't read any of the comics where he hangs out with this beloved wolf pack. I googled it and found some page from the Death of Wolverine era or something with Jubilee, ok. Anyways, apparently the writer is really smart and has published poetry etc, so I wonder if it's just a thing where nobody tells you no, but did nobody tell them this sounds like a boring and lame idea?

Even without this comic existing yet, I want to skip to the last page of issue 6. Where Wolverine learns to be human again a bit or something, and stuff, and we can leave this gimmick behind. Hopefully that's by issue 6. That said, if it is a glorious saga, well my bad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Heavy Metal posted:

Anyways, apparently the writer is really smart and has published poetry etc, so I wonder if it's just a thing where nobody tells you no, but did nobody tell them this sounds like a boring and lame idea?

Okay I know not all of his stuff have been winners but dude Ahmed has been writing for marvel for like 8 years now

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I am interested in his Wolverine because I mostly know him for writing books with teenage heroes like Ms Marvel and Miles Morales Spider-Man.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kind of weird to me that they're saying Wolverine is alone in Canada and at odds with everyone, including the X-Men, while he's also hanging around with the X-Men in New Orleans. Marvel's usually better about at least keeping some of that in step even if Wolverine shows up a ton of places.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I figured it's just the first arc that takes place before whichever team book he's on technically starts. Wolverine is the type of dude who's like "Krakoa, which I devoted myself, just died, we've taken out the guys that did it, I kinda need to hang out in the Canadian Woods for a hot minute before I do the team thing again."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Kind of weird to me that they're saying Wolverine is alone in Canada and at odds with everyone, including the X-Men, while he's also hanging around with the X-Men in New Orleans. Marvel's usually better about at least keeping some of that in step even if Wolverine shows up a ton of places.

I always remember when Bendis' Avengers was about to start somebody interviewed BMB and said "Why Wolverine on the team? Isn't he in a lot of books right now?" and Bendis just said "Yeah, but I don't read those."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think it's so funny how long it took to get Spider-Man and Wolverine on The Avengers on a full time basis. What's the conversation? "How do we make Avengers a popular book?" "I don't know, maybe put our two most popular characters on it?"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I like the genre of Wolverine story that's basically Edward Abbey with claws so I will give the new stuff a chance.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That was pretty much how that conversation with Bendis and Millar went. I think Tom Brevoort documented those early talks.

Spider-Man and Wolverine on the Avengers was always a tough sell because you’d have to coordinate the Heroes office with the X office and Spider office. Marvel going bankrupt broke down a lot of the old editorial taboos.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I know it's probably not good writing or plot, but I can't help but like Deadpool's big dog daughter

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

I think it's so funny how long it took to get Spider-Man and Wolverine on The Avengers on a full time basis. What's the conversation? "How do we make Avengers a popular book?" "I don't know, maybe put our two most popular characters on it?"

I always heard they are the most popular characters, although when I mentioned this elsewhere, somebody said Spiderman is a definitive and clear #1. Then somebody else said Wolverine is more like #3 behind Spiderman and I think Hulk.

I dunno how you tell these things beyond like if they have several ongoing books mostly about them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I always heard they are the most popular characters, although when I mentioned this elsewhere, somebody said Spiderman is a definitive and clear #1. Then somebody else said Wolverine is more like #3 behind Spiderman and I think Hulk.

I dunno how you tell these things beyond like if they have several ongoing books mostly about them.

In the 90s there were 4 monthly books about Spider-Man, plus a quarterly so they could have a Spider-Man book on sale every single week, including the months where there were 5 Wednesdays, Wolverine has had 2 books at a time, plus team books, I don't know if Hulk has ever had more than one book and then being in either Defenders or Avengers.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Happy to be proven wrong but I feel like there was a pretty big period of nobody giving a poo poo about the Hulk before the first movie (and even then, possibly til the second one).

X-Men 97: Cyclops' line "What would you prefer, black leather?" made me laugh my rear end off and I had to pause the video. Good god that show rocks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gologle posted:

I know it's probably not good writing or plot, but I can't help but like Deadpool's big dog daughter

There's a reason that Princess carried over from the last run, she's awesome.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Air Skwirl posted:

In the 90s there were 4 monthly books about Spider-Man, plus a quarterly so they could have a Spider-Man book on sale every single week, including the months where there were 5 Wednesdays, Wolverine has had 2 books at a time, plus team books, I don't know if Hulk has ever had more than one book and then being in either Defenders or Avengers.

Hulk's popularity is different in part because his tv show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Hulk's popularity is different in part because his tv show.

It's also different eras. Hulk didn't have a tv show in the 90s. The character formerly known as Captain Marvel but now goes by Shazam used to be way more popular than Superman. He had movie serials and DC bought the comic company they were so annoyed about it and then shelved the character long enough Marvel could steal the copyright.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Air Skwirl posted:

I am interested in his Wolverine because I mostly know him for writing books with teenage heroes like Ms Marvel and Miles Morales Spider-Man.

His Daredevil started alright, as Zdarsky left him a hell of a new status quo to run with. It has quickly gone downhill into a mediocre run :smith:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hulk technically did have a TV show in the 90s! Just not super popular I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
How is Deadpool these days? I kinda skipped out on the entirety of the last volume. So I guess, how was that one too?

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Is absolutely anyone enjoying Sabertooth Wars because I haven't seen it

Barring Fallen Angels I'd say it's the worst comic of the Krakoa era (squeezed it in before the end, good job!) and I've been a pretty big defender on a lot of Percy's stuff. Even getting past the edgelord start it's just... bad.