Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Microsoft is big mad about people using customization apps, they're also blocking StartIsBack and probably any others. And just executables in general, but i think that one can be fixed with allowing apps from all sources and not just the Windows store.

https://youtu.be/g0WGO_1BjwM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

pofcorn posted:

Pissing me off : apparently ExplorerPatcher is a virus now. I'm a weirdo who likes the taskbar to the right...

They are saving you from yourself.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rawrbomb posted:

I assume they mean this, which I found at their github: https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/issues/3225

There's also https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/issues/3053 and even Raymond Chen: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20230324-00/?p=107966. I understand the MS developer position that it sucks having to spend time on spurious crash reports because people are doing weird undocumented hacks... But there's a reason people do it, and maybe they should focus that anger on the screwed up product teams rather than customers who want their productivity back.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
WFM user reports that after getting a new wireless keyboard, they randomly have letters and spaces appear like a key is stuck.

After spending large amounts of time troubleshooting, I figured out the issue. ..

They didn't remove the old keyboard USB fob, and a cat was sitting on the old keyboard.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

joebuddah posted:

WFM user reports that after getting a new wireless keyboard, they randomly have letters and spaces appear like a key is stuck.

After spending large amounts of time troubleshooting, I figured out the issue. ..

They didn't remove the old keyboard USB fob, and a cat was sitting on the old keyboard.

WONTFIX, cat working as intended.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

joebuddah posted:

Working as intended

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there a group that you can outsource user assistance tasks to that will sit on the phone for half an hour with your user base and talk them through things like following the MS Authenticator instructions to the letter and not losing their patience when the people asking for help decide to go completely off script and then get frustrated when things don't work? I need people with patience levels unheard of in the IT sector but a solid understanding of how to answer an M365 login prompt with the correct details.

Hell, if anybody is looking for their startup idea then this is it.

One of my current minions is like this probably because he's young enough to have not burnt out yet and I give him so much air cover from HR/upper management. Yes, he wears weird tshirts; yes, he's frequently late (or out with little warning); yes, he made a fuss about having to wear PPE over his glasses.

But he does such good user handholding...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sfwarlock posted:

Everything else you can teach.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

sfwarlock posted:

One of my current minions is like this probably because he's young enough to have not burnt out yet and I give him so much air cover from HR/upper management. Yes, he wears weird tshirts; yes, he's frequently late (or out with little warning); yes, he made a fuss about having to wear PPE over his glasses.

How weird are we talking with the t-shirts?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

How weird are we talking with the t-shirts?

Yeah that really jumped out to me, too lol. It’s ahegao hoodies isn’t it?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i’m guessing insane clown posse

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Tshirthell showcase

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

“I don’t understand why this person is having persistent problems with their password”

Yeah me neither. I know this is a hint towards checking for sync issues or whatever but I assure you this user genuinely cannot remember a password for longer than two days and your poo poo legacy applications are preventing us from moving to passwordless.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Dell, I sent you a video of the fan grinding, it's the only moving part in the laptop and the sound is unmistakable. I shouldn't need to have the laptop with me to make a warranty claim on it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Speaking of Dell, got this email yesterday:

quote:

Hello,
Dell Technologies takes the privacy and confidentiality of your information seriously. We are currently investigating an incident involving a Dell portal, which contains a database with limited types of customer information related to purchases from Dell. We believe there is not a significant risk to our customers given the type of information involved.

What data was accessed?
At this time, our investigation indicates limited types of customer information was accessed, including:

Name
Physical address
Dell hardware and order information, including service tag, item description, date of order and related warranty information

The information involved does not include financial or payment information, email address, telephone number or any highly sensitive customer information.

What is Dell doing?
Upon identifying the incident, we promptly implemented our incident response procedures, began investigating, took steps to contain the incident and notified law enforcement. We have also engaged a third-party forensics firm to investigate this incident. We will continue to monitor the situation.

What can I do?
Our investigation indicates your information was accessed during this incident, but we do not believe there is significant risk given the limited information impacted. However, you should always keep in mind these tips to help avoid tech support phone scams. If you notice any suspicious activity related to your Dell accounts or purchases, please immediately report concerns to security@dell.com.

drat it people.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dude you're getting free credit monitoring from dell

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

dude you're getting free credit monitoring from dell

I hope it doesn’t clash with the free credit monitoring I get from Equifax and the free credit monitoring from two jobs back who lost our W2s or from my last company which got crypto’d or from my current company which also had a breach.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cannot wait to swap my work Latitude out for anything else, the plastics they make the palm rest out of are the poorest wearing material I've ever seen on a laptop, the thing looked filthy after 18 months and is almost impossible to clean.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

klosterdev posted:

Dell, I sent you a video of the fan grinding, it's the only moving part in the laptop and the sound is unmistakable. I shouldn't need to have the laptop with me to make a warranty claim on it.

My last latitude I went through like 6 or 7 fans, all under warranty. For some reason they'd send me both a standalone fan, and a heatsink pipe with identical fan attached, so every warranty claim was good for 2 fan failures, since the parts were "disposable" and they didn't want them back.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

If anyone's looking... My team is hiring for a mid-level security engineer. Hybrid Development/Devops/PM skillsets are a plus. Excellent pay/benefits, remote is an option for this role. PM and we can chat. You may now return to your regularly scheduled threadshitting.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

post here too : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135&perpage=40&pagenumber=125&noseen=1

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

currently pissing me off: Ivanti and their lovely endpoint manager. sure, you can ping the device, you can even run a sync on it! but you can't find the agent to push out an update to a piece of software

the same agent that does the job of polling the device for hardware/software details.

ughhhhh

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Here is how my job hunt is going since it started in January,

Over a hundred applications, a dozen interviews including all the way to technical directors and still no offers but one on the East Coast where I have zero interest in living. :smith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Windows 11 snipping tool spawns slightly higher every time you use it, resulting in it eventually creeping off the top of the screen.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Arquinsiel posted:

The Windows 11 snipping tool spawns slightly higher every time you use it, resulting in it eventually creeping off the top of the screen.

You must use your powers wisely and judiciously, if you run out of snipping uses you'll have to resort to other means, perhaps a cell phone picture of your screen?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

First day in a corporate environment and I’ve done no regular work and submitted four tickets to IT and visited the help desk once.

The PCs are locked down so tight I can’t install Chrome or Node or VS. I’m the frontend lead.

No one is available to explain the existing workflow to me.

I expect to be posting ITT again tomorrow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like you're getting paid to do nothing so I'd ride that as long as possible. Let the bureaucracy work around you.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

xzzy posted:

Sounds like you're getting paid to do nothing so I'd ride that as long as possible. Let the bureaucracy work around you.

That’s the plan. I have a six month contract, hoping to train for 3 months and then be slowly managed out for the remaining 3 months.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

well why not posted:

First day in a corporate environment and I’ve done no regular work and submitted four tickets to IT and visited the help desk once.

The PCs are locked down so tight I can’t install Chrome or Node or VS. I’m the frontend lead.

Depending on exactly what you mean by "corporate", I wouldn't expect to do anything really "productive" until somewhere between your second week and second month in the role. There's a lot of processes that effectively can't kick off until the employee is confirmed to exist and have actually started.

Don't worry about it. Keep an open like of communication with your manager who can help set and manage expectations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Depending on exactly what you mean by "corporate", I wouldn't expect to do anything really "productive" until somewhere between your second week and second month in the role. There's a lot of processes that effectively can't kick off until the employee is confirmed to exist and have actually started.

Don't worry about it. Keep an open like of communication with your manager who can help set and manage expectations.

it’s whiplash from my last job where there was no IT or HR dept and my boss just texted me “what mac do you want I’m getting one”

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
You know what pisses me off? CAPTCHAs. GodDAMN I can't get through any sometimes. Doesn't matter if I change browsers or reset my computer or what, and all my web searches are for ways to evade CAPTCHAs while using a VPN rather than figuring out the false positives (since I am not a robot or using a VPN). And of course, it's not just to do something silly; it's to apply to a loving job.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

this new generation of "pick all the pictures of a motorcycle" captchas can all gently caress right off

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Perhaps that means Waymo has been running over motocycles so they need to put a stop to that. I know they had a bicycle collision earlier this year.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Fool posted:

this new generation of "pick all the pictures of a motorcycle" captchas can all gently caress right off

I can never tell if it wants me to click the squares with the little tiny bit of the front tire in it or whatever. It's clearly part of the motorcycle but it usually gets mad at me if I include things like that.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

well why not posted:

it’s whiplash from my last job where there was no IT or HR dept and my boss just texted me “what mac do you want I’m getting one”

Yea, a big corporate environment where things just take time to happen is a huge change from smaller places where you're expected to contribute from day one.

Not everyone is cut out for that kind of shift. It it doesn't work for you, do your couple months and move on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

guppy posted:

I can never tell if it wants me to click the squares with the little tiny bit of the front tire in it or whatever. It's clearly part of the motorcycle but it usually gets mad at me if I include things like that.
They're checking how smooth your mouse movement is. Just jiggle it around a bit and pick them in a random order.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

well why not posted:

My new job was also like this and it is a bit anxiety inducing. On one hand you get paid to do gently caress all but on the other I feel like skills tend to rot a bit. I really don't want to lab around with poo poo on my free time any more these days but it might have to come to that to keep up. :corsair:

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Magnetic North posted:

You know what pisses me off? CAPTCHAs. GodDAMN I can't get through any sometimes. Doesn't matter if I change browsers or reset my computer or what, and all my web searches are for ways to evade CAPTCHAs while using a VPN rather than figuring out the false positives (since I am not a robot or using a VPN). And of course, it's not just to do something silly; it's to apply to a loving job.

My biggest gripe with the picture ones is that they usually don't scale to screen resolution. Trying to see any detail in a low resolution image on a 2k monitor is annoying at best.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

well why not posted:

That’s the plan. I have a six month contract, hoping to train for 3 months and then be slowly managed out for the remaining 3 months.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

guppy posted:

One time it asked me to click the pictures with buses, and one image had an old VW microbus.