Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fil5000 posted:

The one that got adapted into a comic is slightly better I think, by dint of Anchorpoint Station being smaller, more run down and with fewer people on it, but yeah, having "alien spores that can turn anyone into an alien when it's dramatically useful" kind of sucks.

Yeah that's Gibson's second draft. It's also the one that got made into the audio play with Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen reprising their roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I have never really bought into the opinion turn-around on the Prequels - I don't care how interesting the themes and plotlines sound in theory, in execution they were just beefed real bad. Honestly I think the biggest thing that doomed the Prequels that not enough people talk about is how they were the start of the era of Star Wars as a multimedia franchise as opposed to being films in their own right - While the franchise has never been a stranger to merchandising, the prequels were the point where the movies stopped being created as stories that could stand on their own and started being created as platforms to launch Expanded Universe products. I think a good example of this is pretty much the entire events of the Clone Wars - The second movie basically serves to set up the start of the war and culminates with a big battle that kicks the war off proper, it even has Yoda ominously declare the Clone Wars have begun...And then the next movies starts with the characters basically declaring "Well, that sure was one hell of a Clone War we just fought!". Really, seeing what the details of the mysterious Clone Wars referenced in the OT were was one of the big draws of the Prequels when they were first coming out, but the actual conflict itself happens mostly offscreen in the movies, with the actual action instead being explored in the spin-off novels and tv shows.

And that's really what's kind of killed Star Wars for me: The movies themselves are no longer pieces of storytelling and film making designed to stand on their own, they're foundations meant to prop up Expanded Universe products. The Expanded Universe essentially took over the whole franchise, going from a sort of additional canon that fans of the movie could ignore if they didn't care about it, to containing stuff that was integral to the plot of the actual movies.

One other interesting thing I noticed: It feels like the Prequel Trilogy and the Sequel Trilogy ended up being weird mirrors of each other in when and how they fell apart. The Prequels started weak but got better as they went along, while the Sequels started strong and looked like they were setting up interesting ideas, only to completely beef it in the wrap-up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The prequels are well liked now because the kids who grew up with them are now in their 20’s and 30’s .

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
My spiciest Prequel opinion was formed as a child. I saw the big parade scene on Naboo in the first one and thought they were ripping off my favorite picture book Dinotopia. For some reason. Vibes were too similar for little me I guess? Lol.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the prequels arent good but they have more soul than most of disney's movies. i wouldnt sit down and watch episode 2 and 3 if i could avoid it but i'd rather watch them over the sequel trilogy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel like "the prequels are good, actually" is something that you can only really argue from an intellectual level because the actual act of watching them as cinema is unpleasant. They're shot poorly, the acting is wooden, the script is bad, the effects have not aged well at all. The sequel trilogy is also bad of course but in its own way.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Prequels are bad actually crowd are twisting themselves into knots trying to umm actually poo poo to death in the face of overwhelming love and appreciation for George's works. Exhausting, find a better hobby.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
darth icky ftw

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I paid 13 bucks to sit in a dark and theater and give George’s work all my attention

And it was poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id watch all of the prequels 5 times before watching episode 9 once

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id play jedi power battles before watching episode 9

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

no thread can ever escape becoming the star wars thread

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I never saw the last one, but I read the whole plot synopsis when it was in theaters to decide if I was going to go and it was a riot.

It would have been miserable to watch of course.

People actually liked the first Disney SWs movie too so it retroactively made that movie worse.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well an old Star Wars movie just got released into theaters

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mycatscrimes posted:

My spiciest Prequel opinion was formed as a child. I saw the big parade scene on Naboo in the first one and thought they were ripping off my favorite picture book Dinotopia. For some reason. Vibes were too similar for little me I guess? Lol.

IIRC at one point Lucas had met with people to discuss a Dinotopia film pitch, and he definitly took inspiration from James Gurney's Waterfall City painting for Naboo.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

IIRC at one point Lucas had met with people to discuss a Dinotopia film pitch, and he definitly took inspiration from James Gurney's Waterfall City painting for Naboo.

Suddenly I'm feeling so vindicated lol. I wouldn't describe it as a ripoff as an adult, at least, though.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it's funny that we're at the point that people feel the need to qualify their dislike of a bunch of terrible movies

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I took my kids to see the sequel trilogy and my eldest kid who was... eleven or twelve at the time could not understand why I was just utterly nonplussed by Rise of Skywalker. The entire bus ride home he kept going "but what about this bit and this bit", and I didn't want to be the "Like it like it, BE ME" cartoon guy so I wasn't just saying it was all poo poo and I was trying to find the good bits but gently caress me that movie is a rushed barely coherent mess.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zokari posted:

no thread can ever escape becoming the star wars thread

The real sign of a movie's worth is if people can argue about it forever. It's why Star Wars is the most popular franchise in the world.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This could be the Amazing Spiderman 1 thread instead. Personally it's a good film that spins its wheels too much and is mostly saved by Stone and Garfield's chemistry. Stone could and should do a classic screwball comedy instead of spending all her time with Lanthimos.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rVETHK94no

Dude that designs and makes various motors from 3D printed parts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Episode 9 was the beat theater experience I've had in a long time. It was opening weekend and we only had like 8 people in the theater and my group was 6 of them so I got to be angry and confused about every directorial choice made and laugh at my friend who Likes Star Wars angrily whispered "what" every other line.

Around the Chewbacca death fake out I was leaning on the seat in front of me trying to get closer to the screen hoping to get more info because i wanted to understand why was this epic confrontation that ends in a ship with chewy on it being tragically exploded by the hero was shot on a flat wide shot where every musical cue was mistimed

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 8, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

This could be the Amazing Spiderman 1 thread instead. Personally it's a good film that spins its wheels too much and is mostly saved by Stone and Garfield's chemistry. Stone could and should do a classic screwball comedy instead of spending all her time with Lanthimos.

I maintain Garfield is the best comic accurate Spider-man we've had. His Parker I can take or leave but costumed up and slinging around throwing out quips there's none better. Shame ASM2 was such crap

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Trillion dollar company buying a billion dollar franchise making a movie with a budget of 100s of millions of dollars and every single shot edit and framing decision was just the wrong choice.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it actually owned how shook disney got over the last jedi's reception that they spent an entire movie undoing everything in it then forgot to actually tell a story lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they put palpatine's speech, one of the most important parts of the movie, in fortnite instead of the movie

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it actually owned how shook disney got over the last jedi's reception that they spent an entire movie undoing everything in it then forgot to actually tell a story lol

Don't forget getting such cold feet because Book of Henry was such a turd that they went "oh no, we can't have this guy direct anything ever"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

Amazing Spiderman 1 is mostly saved by Stone and Garfield's chemistry.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it owns that they went into the sequel trilogy with, explicitly and intentionally, no plan

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

If they made the lightsaber with little lightsaber hand guards people should be using little lightsabers instead of kitchen knives imo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Fil5000 posted:

Don't forget getting such cold feet because Book of Henry was such a turd that they went "oh no, we can't have this guy direct anything ever"
It wasn't even poorly directed it was just a dogshit script.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the gay kiss in star wars that was in the background that they were too scared to show so they cut to a homophobic slug alien looking pissed as hell

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back.

I mean its also got fun swinging and well done fights but Lizard is a dull villain compared to Molina or Dafoe and all the school and parent poo poo is cringe

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the gay kiss in star wars that was in the background that they were too scared to show so they cut to a homophobic slug alien looking pissed as hell
the slug has a name and the gay couple doesnt

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gaius Marius posted:

Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 loving SUCK

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfYF4DxJfxY

His name is Klaud.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Concerning!

At least I still have Scorsese who just wants to tell stories about cool mobsters without politics.

I would respect Scorsese if he would just admit he thinks old-timey gangsters are cool. He produced a 5 season prestige drama about a mob boss based on a guy who wasn't even involved with the mob in real life.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think Marty actually had much to do with the production. His contribution was his name.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

rodbeard posted:

I would respect Scorsese if he would just admit he thinks old-timey gangsters are cool. He produced a 5 season prestige drama about a mob boss based on a guy who wasn't even involved with the mob in real life.

please stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Is Poor Things not a screwball comedy?