Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

Requesting any and all botany memes, please

Best I got

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

fuckin gottem

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.io/reAPoXA.mp4

https://i.imgur.io/7yNi2zL.mp4

https://i.imgur.io/mPzr4Q6.mp4

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hi everyone, teacher and also currently working on a PhD in education here. Your disagreements over the value of gifted education programs and approaches are because the value of those approaches depends heavily on their quality (both of the teacher and the program itself) and that quality is highly variable. Namaste.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Phy posted:

Best I got

They only put that strap there for him to find because it would become useful to the plot later.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Karate Bastard posted:

I hope this is a country/western album.

Check it our for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN-OeOHdo0U

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I was placed into GT classes at grade 4 and breezed through it until high school. Then high school classes were also incredibly easy. College was also very easy for me. Sorry so many of you are so incredibly dumb

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ButterNBacon
Feb 17, 2004

oldpainless posted:

I was placed into GT classes at grade 4 and breezed through it until high school. Then high school classes were also incredibly easy. College was also very easy for me. Sorry so many of you are so incredibly dumb

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr-xzeaRA-I

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Can you make this "isn't"?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Not without a ton of guillotines

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Karate Bastard posted:

How much will you pay for it?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

More like oldbrainless

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

root beer posted:

My daughter has reportedly scored in the 93rd percentile on her state math tests for fifth grade this year, but I’m not going to put her through anything that’s going to give her that “gifted kid” mentality because she does not need to end up like my useless rear end.

[edit] christ, we just got a letter from the school recommending to us that she enter the gifted program for creative thinking

Speaking as a kid who went to the gifted programs and grew up to be a teacher:

Send your kid to do the enrichment activities, because otherwise she'll just sit in class bored as hell as the overworked teacher, spending all her energy on 39 other students but mostly the kid suffering from unmedicated ADHD and the kid who starts fires, looks at your daughter's work and says "great job, 100 percent" and that's all the teaching she gets for the day. Your kid only gets so much time at this age when her brain is plastic. Make the most of it.

Simultaneously, minimize the amount of "that's great work, you're so smart!" praise she gets and instead tell her "that's great work, you worked really hard!". That's what I do, and I believe that it will help allay the "gifted kid" mentality you're concerned about.

I am not a child psychologist, but I am an educator, and it's my theory that if you tell a kid they succeeded because they are smart, you are essentially telling them their success is due to an accident of genetics. This has two implications:

1) When you succeed, it's because of random serendipitous factors. You don't have any agency over it.

2) If you fail at something, or can't do something well, you just weren't born with the ability to do it. Oh well, them's the cards.

Takeaway: you didn't really do anything to deserve your success. You were born better than other people in these ways, and worse than other people in others. Not picking up the piano easily and automatically? You're just not a pianist I guess. Might as well give up.

I bet that defeatist mentality is pretty familiar to a lot of the g&t burnouts that populate these forums

On the other hand, if you tell a kid that she succeeded by working hard:

1) This is something _you_ achieved, by your own actions, through your choices and effort.

2) If you fail at something, no big deal: just keep working at it. With enough time and effort you can do it. You aren't just born to suck at math or dancing or public speaking or whatever.

Takeaway: you have agency and ability and should be proud of your accomplishments and not discouraged by your failures. Keep playing the piano and you will succeed!

I will sometimes tell students that an idea they have is particularly clever or insightful, sure. But the vast majority of the praise I give them is always about the amount of time or effort or practice or iteration or refinement they put into their project. I think it's better that way.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 22:45 on May 7, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Speaking as a kid who went to the gifted programs and grew up to be a teacher:

Send your kid to do the enrichment activities, because otherwise she'll just sit in class bored as hell as the overworked teacher, spending all her energy on the kid suffering from unmedicated ADHD and the kid who starts fires, looks at your daughter's work and says "great job, 100 percent" and that's all the teaching she gets for the day. Your kid only gets so much time at this age when her brain is plastic. Make the most of it.

Simultaneously, minimize the amount of "that's great work, you're so smart!" praise she gets and instead tell her "that's great work, you worked really hard!". That's what I do, and I believe that it will help allay the "gifted kid" mentality you're concerned about.

I am not a child psychologist, but I am an educator, and it's my theory that if you tell a kid they succeeded because they are smart, you are essentially telling them their success is due to an accident of genetics. This has two implications:

1) When you succeed, it's because of random serendipitous factors. You don't have any agency over it.

2) If you fail at something, or can't do something well, you just weren't born with the ability to do it. Oh well, them's the cards.

Takeaway: you didn't really do anything to deserve your success. You were born better than other people in these ways, and worse than other people in others. Not picking up the piano easily and automatically? You're just not a pianist I guess.

On the other hand, if you tell a kid that she succeeded by working hard:

1) This is something _you_ achieved, by your own actions, through your choices and effort.

2) If you fail at something, no big deal: just keep working at it. With enough time and effort you can do it. You aren't just born to suck at math or dancing or public speaking or whatever.

Takeaway: you have agency and ability and should be proud of your accomplishments and not discouraged by your failures. Keep playing the piano and you will succeed!

I will sometimes tell students that an idea they have is particularly clever or insightful, sure. But the vast majority of the praise I give them is always about the amount of time or effort or practice or iteration or refinement they put into their project. I think it's better that way.

Any chance you'd wanna hop in a time machine and have a talk with my parents? They really could have used this info.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I thought this was standard parenting advice in 2024 but yeah

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Any chance you'd wanna hop in a time machine and have a talk with my parents? They really could have used this info.
same

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Ugh, I’m sorry for contributing further to this derail but—

blacksocks posted:

Stuff about not enrolling my kid in enrichment courses

Sagebrush posted:

Same as above, and with some added advice—some I’ve read before but some new

While I’ve been growing more cynical lately, coupled with my already pathological insularity, I do recognize that maybe getting some outside perspectives can be helpful, so thanks for that.

Anyway, I’m kinda fighting myself over all of it, tbh. I went through that kind of stuff when I was a kid, but for the entirety of my adolescence and much of my young adult life, I was a loving useless wreck who just happened to get some college credit while I was in high school. But on the other hand, after wasting my time pursuing a degree in 3D animation and doing nothing with it or my life altogether, I went back to school in my mid/late 20s and had zero challenge with any of it until grad school, and that was probably attributed more to burnout.

The real issue is that I may be irrationally predicting her childhood/adolescent trajectory with a ton of bias from my own experience, which was riddled with anxiety and depression from age 8, with signs present well before that; however, this has not been anything like her experience, and I’ve sworn not to be like my parents were with me in that respect and have open conversations about it. So yeah, I guess I am being overprotective. I just don’t want her to be like I was, spending all of my downtime in my room with my head down on my desk, in pain, unable to cry, hoping I could sleep overnight, and maybe not wake up. Add to this that my wife went through a considerable deal of trauma through her own adolescence, and you gotta understand where we may be coming from in our hypervigilance.

All that said!, it’s a moot point anyway because she will not be attending a traditional middle school next year; she has been accepted to a school that is dedicated to the arts and injects creativity into every academic subject, so it’s not like I’m sheltering her from an extraordinary experience either. In any case, I think I would look into the creative thinking stuff if she were still going to the local district’s middle school because I realize it would be right up her alley anyway. The math on the other hand… she hates math, she gets serious math anxiety in spite of her proficiency. Basically, we told her that we were super proud of her, but we wouldn’t force her into anything she didn’t want to do.

So this isn’t a total waste:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I'm hearing this in my head to the tune of "Making Christmas"

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Whooping Crabs posted:

:hmmyes:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Whooping Crabs posted:

I made it work to "Badger, Badger" and I regret it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lmao at making your kid think your a drat idiot by praising them for hard work when they did gently caress-all to achieve something because they're just good.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
All I remember from my GT classes was watching Voyage of the Mimi instead of doing actual work. Not really sure what the point was, though I suppose the second series got me interested in Mayan stuff at least.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Under 30s know about loss?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
under 30s know about loss but are completely divorced from the original context and associated memes. none of them recognize "move past it and heal" as part of the bit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chat, this is true.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Milo and POTUS posted:

my 9 year old niece knows about loss. neither of her parents do. i was asked to explain. this happened two weeks ago.

it was then that i realized that tim buckley gave birth to an inter-generational piece of humor and he is too much of a stubborn, prideful nerd to embrace it.

it's the funniest thing i've experienced in YEARS.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I don’t get this one, but somehow in my gut I get it.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

mystes
May 31, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

My sister's kids (early/mid teens) do

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

lmao that loss is probably going to outlive anything any of us create in our lifetimes

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
My kid is 11 and her friends briefly got into Homestuck, of all things.

Coolguye posted:

my 9 year old niece knows about loss. neither of her parents do. i was asked to explain. this happened two weeks ago.

it was then that i realized that tim buckley gave birth to an inter-generational piece of humor and he is too much of a stubborn, prideful nerd to embrace it.

it's the funniest thing i've experienced in YEARS.

I wonder what's worse: KC Green's situation, where he created dickbutt but has no real way of monetizing it, or B^U creating Loss which is only famous because it is terrible.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Kit Walker posted:

lmao that loss is probably going to outlive anything any of us create in our lifetimes

goddamnit