Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not sure why that matters so much. First, I guarantee there's a bunch of people out there who saw the episode who have never read that story. Second, Balance of Terror is frequently cited as both one of the great TOS episodes and also basically being The Enemy Below In Space.

If the execution is bad, that's a valid complaint, but retelling older stories is entirely valid.

Yea I get that it just felt quite a boring way to tell it I guess, it didn't make it feel like we were meant to consider the implications of the issue. Just "this is bad" and job done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

At least it's not WBD

Imagining a world where they bought Paramount and immediately announced Lower Decks S5 would be unaired and deleted as a write off.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Imagining a world where they bought Paramount and immediately announced Lower Decks S5 would be unaired and deleted as a write off.

They would probably also rip up the deal with Netflix for Prodigy and shove it back into the vault/shredder to also recoup some tax kickbacks.

I think SNW is the only show that makes out of a Warner Bros. acquisition unscathed because it's the only show David Zaslav even remotely understands: a live action series headlined by a straight white male.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 7, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Last Call posted:

You don't win simply by being morally superior. It's why Sisko was the best Captain. He was the most real. He did what he had to do.

Easy to pretend to be a saint in paradise.

I'm not a stranger to the question "what price Utopia", the problem is that people love that Hard Men Making Hard Decisions stuff, and that's all that Trek becomes instead of a shocking one-off made under Special Circumstances.

And then surprise surprise all the Hard Decisions aren't morally correct ones that may be materially worse but ethically correct, they're all dark and edgy moves that justify horrible acts.*

Sisko's act should be discovered and he should be tried in absentia, even if this means the Federation takes a reputational hit.

* except the Emerald Chain negotiation in DISCO, which is my favourite scene in the entire series.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 7, 2024

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
The thing with DS9 is it's a great show on its own, but it gave too many people brainrot and we've been dealing with the consequences of them thinking all you need to make Star Trek "good" is a dark serialized plot because that's all they remember/heard of in regards to DS9 and not that the show was also full of humor, weird episodes, character moments, cringe poo poo and so on. All this gave the show some variance that wasn't just "everything sucks" for the 20th time.

Live action new Trek didn't finally get this until Strange New Worlds, by then they made two shows that featured assholes being assholes in a lovely world.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
So I'm thinking about just buying Paramount myself. Hear me out...

I immediately shut down production on everything related to Big Bang Theory. I kill the Frasier reboot. I shutter the CSI and NCIS offshoots, sell Dora to Disney or Netflix, and trim any other shows with budgets that outweigh their popularity.

I renew The Late Show through Season 10. I renew Ghosts through Season 5.

I spin off all CBS reality television into its own org with a dedicated CFO and programming president. Reality TV universally sucks but it's cheap to make so it'll funnel cash into the network. Game shows will be included under that umbrella too.

Next up is Star Trek. I de-canonize Discovery and sell it as a non-canon fan fiction series to MAX. I cancel the S31 movie. I cancel the Starfleet Academy show. I renew Lower Decks through season 7. I renew Strange New Worlds through Season 7. I authorize a DS9 HD remaster and offer it for sale on iTunes. (It's way cheaper to do this upscaling poo poo now than it was when they did TNG, and digital distribution means no costs associated with packaging and selling physical media.)

I get all of Star Trek everything (sans Discovery) back on Paramount streaming. With the caveat they kill Chakotay, sure, even Prodigy I suppose. I've not watched past the first two episodes of Prodigy and it ain't my bag, but why the gently caress not. Some people like it.

I envision Trek content united with the rest of PCBS content. A sort of United Paramount Network.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Doesn't TBBT, CSI, NCIS and their spin offs make money and are usually pretty good ratings hits or staples of TV?

Won't fault anyone for not liking them, but if they do well and make money, I don't see why you would get rid of them. Seems like a way of losing out on things that make you money.

Also, what's the deal with Discovery.

I only saw the first episode but the hate the show gets is, quite intense. I've tried to find out why but half the stuff I found were screaming about "the woke" and quite frankly that's a good way to know the person is a moron. Not to say the show might not have issues, but can people sum them up why in a way that isn't cringe worthy.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

The Last Call posted:

Doesn't TBBT, CSI, NCIS and their spin offs make money and are usually pretty good ratings hits or staples of TV?

Maybe. I don't have access to the numbers but if they make money I'd keep them. But they also cost a lot to make and there's like 30 of each show, and I don't think we need NCIS Hawaii and NCIS Miami and NCIS New Orleans and NCIS Los Angeles and NCIS Backwater and CSI Vegas and CSI New York and CSI Miami and CSI Bumfuck.

The Last Call posted:

The Last Call posted:

I only saw the first episode but the hate the show gets is, quite intense. I've tried to find out why but half the stuff I found were screaming about "the woke" and quite frankly that's a good way to know the person is a moron. Not to say the show might not have issues, but can people sum them up why in a way that isn't cringe worthy.

The people bitching about Discovery being "woke" or having a female lead or whatever are all idiots. Discovery sucks because it sucks. I like the cast. They all do pretty well with what they've been given. It's the premise and the writing that suck. "Ok let's make a prequel to Star Trek. (eats psilocybin mushrooms) We're going to hire maybe one person that knows anything about Star Trek and also a bunch of aspiring sci-fi writers that don't. (eats more psilocybin mushrooms) SPOCK NOW HAS A SISTER. Warp drive? No, that's somehow too limiting. We need to differentiate our show from the rest of the franchise. How will we set ourselves apart? (eats more psilocybin mushrooms) Our ship shouldn't zoom, it should spin. But the engines? No no no, I said no warp drive. We need... I'VE GOT IT! IT WILL BE A MUSHROOM DRIVE! WITH NIPPLE CLAMPS HOOKED UP TO A GIANT TARDIGRADE. OH MY GOD I AM TRIPPING SO loving HARD RIGHT NOW."

Eventually they realized they completely suck at making a prequel series, harder than Enterprise EVER sucked at making a prequel series. "How do we recover from this? We just can't figure this poo poo out. I'VE GOT IT! LET'S THROW THEM 900 YEARS FURTHER INTO THE FUTURE! That way we don't have to worry about figuring out how to prequel anymore! The Federation is in shambles because ALL WARP DRIVES EVERYWHERE SPONTANEOUSLY EXPLODED! (eats psilocybin mushrooms) GOD THESE ARE GOOD poo poo."

I tried sticking with Discovery as long as I could but I shut it off in the middle of an episode mid-way through season 2, saying out loud to no one in particular, "I can't watch this poo poo anymore."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I wouldn't kill the Starfleet Academy show, but I'd tell them it's no longer going to be a 32nd century show. They can pick either the SNW era or the LDS era to set it.

Part of renewing LDS is a movie where they decononize the destruction of Romulas via time travel, and thus none of the stupid poo poo from Picard happens. (Part of the time travel shenanigans involves moving Seven's Starfleet application from the rejected pile to the accepted pile.)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The Last Call posted:

It constantly sets up interesting ideas and fails to follow through on them. Every series you think "oh this is promising" and then it just fizzles away. It centres itself on a character that's not very interesting, and who solves every problem by giving trite, teary speeches. It expects the audience to care about the death of a character it only bothered to actually GIVE a character in the same episode she died. It expects the audience to forget that Space Hitler is a genocidal warlord who eats the flesh of sapient creatures, because she's a mirror universe copy of a good person.

But it's trying, damnit. It really is. I can't hate DISCO. The cast are doing their best with mediocre material, and it wants to be Star Trek so bad. It's just not very good at it.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 7, 2024

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

8one6 posted:

I wouldn't kill the Starfleet Academy show, but I'd tell them it's no longer going to be a 32nd century show.

You're hired.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

only seven seasons of lower decks? cowardice imo

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

only seven seasons of lower decks? cowardice imo

7 is the magic number. TNG had 7, DS9 had 7, VOY had 7, and the LDS showrunners have plans through 7.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
The core problem with Discovery is that it's a show with potential, that's always in the end squandered, be it because of behind the scenes drama or just lack of experience for the people writing the show.

Like the original premise for Discovery was you have this ship that does weird experiments on the fringe of federation scientific understanding and that was never realized because it was pretty much from day one retooled into a prestige war drama.

Micheal Burnham being a human raised by Vulcans should be prime material for some character exploration that is never properly touched upon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Discovery is good

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
For lining the bottom of my birdcage!!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It constantly sets up interesting ideas and fails to follow through on them. Every series you think "oh this is promising" and then it just fizzles away. It centres itself on a character that's not very interesting, and who solves every problem by giving trite, teary speeches. It expects the audience to care about the death of a character it only bothered to actually GIVE a character in the same episode she died. It expects the audience to forget that Space Hitler is a genocidal warlord who eats the flesh of sapient creatures, because she's a mirror universe copy of a good person.

But it's trying, damnit. It really is. I can't hate DISCO. The cast are doing their best with mediocre material, and it wants to be Star Trek so bad. It's just not very good at it.

This. Disco has like five different preemies for what kind of show it wants to be and they're all fine. But its lazy and spoiled. It never tries to earn any of the story beats it wants to do, it just tries to skip right to them.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Accipiter posted:

7 is the magic number. TNG had 7, DS9 had 7, VOY had 7, and the LDS showrunners have plans through 7.

It needs 7 seasons of 26 episodes each. So right now it’s only on like season 2.3 or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If I was in charge of Paramount I would simply tell my employees to make all the shows we do good. Checkmate :smug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Discovery is good
Mods?!?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Discovery exists

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finally caught up with the last 2 episodes, and is Detmer shooting something else?

Also I got a serious laugh with Tilly's face when she realizes what she won a race for.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

twistedmentat posted:

I finally caught up with the last 2 episodes, and is Detmer shooting something else?

Detmer and Owo have both been conspicuously absent most of season

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

TuxedoOrca posted:

The core problem with Discovery is that it's a show with potential, that's always in the end squandered,

Following the successful Voyager formula

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

twistedmentat posted:

Also I got a serious laugh with Tilly's face when she realizes what she won a race for.

She didn't just win. She shared water with a loser so they could both be co-winners. She got that kid killed, lol.

XavierAlexander
Mar 22, 2024

by Pragmatica

8one6 posted:

I wouldn't kill the Starfleet Academy show, but I'd tell them it's no longer going to be a 32nd century show. They can pick either the SNW era or the LDS era to set it.

Nah they got to keep it 32nd century to keep the hot chick on it. TNG and Voyager used a little classy T&A to bump those viewer numbers. It's basically baked into Trek at this point, except for DS9 and all of its bastard children.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

XavierAlexander posted:

Nah they got to keep it 32nd century to keep the hot chick on it. TNG and Voyager used a little classy T&A to bump those viewer numbers. It's basically baked into Trek at this point, except for DS9 and all of its bastard children.

Sorry, which hot chick? Discovery has been so aggressively chaste that I legitimately do not know who people would be thirsting after.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Also it's not like this alleged hot chick couldn't just play her own ancestor. It wouldn't even be the third or fourth time they did that in Trek.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I am really confused man. I’ve enjoyed Discovery despite the criticism it takes and was really looking forward to this season. My assumption was that the show would explore the unknown space of the previous season, much like other Treks did. Now we’re back in known space following around some low level smugglers? Is that entirely new area of space just not interesting enough? No species there to look into?

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Shammypants posted:

I am really confused man. I’ve enjoyed Discovery despite the criticism it takes and was really looking forward to this season. My assumption was that the show would explore the unknown space of the previous season, much like other Treks did. Now we’re back in known space following around some low level smugglers? Is that entirely new area of space just not interesting enough? No species there to look into?

Only Michael can save the universe from [season macguffin]

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

8one6 posted:

Also it's not like this alleged hot chick couldn't just play her own ancestor. It wouldn't even be the third or fourth time they did that in Trek.

Brent Spiner alone has played three of his own ancestors.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Blue Moonlight posted:

Brent Spiner alone has played three of his own ancestors.

I think B4 and Lore also need to be in that count

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Accipiter posted:

So I'm thinking about just buying Paramount myself. Hear me out...

Hard pass. Why decanonize Discovery? It doesn't even touch the other Treks. Meanwhile Picard over there can't even keep its own canon straight plus is new characters sometimes played by old actors.

Also cancelling poo poo I don't like is a bad move. The poo poo that makes money gets the executive attention that turns things into the shows I don't watch. At most they're clogging up the thumbnails on streaming sites.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
The thing about Discovery that sucks as canon is the collapse of the federation lurking in the future of whatever else they do

It's not an insurmountable problem but it's not great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Every so often like just now I'm reminded of the OTHER android prototype made before Data, literally called B4.

Dr. Soong: Awake, my child. Your name is B4, because I made you before Lore and Data.
B4: Who?
Dr. Soong: I don't know, I haven't made them yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rubber Chicken posted:

Only Michael can save the universe from [season macguffin]

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rubber Chicken posted:

The thing about Discovery that sucks as canon is the collapse of the federation lurking in the future of whatever else they do

It's a speed bump though. The Federation wobbles, as do all other interstellar power structures, and then it recovers. It wasn't due to corruption, ideology or incompetence. It was due to a completely unforeseeable event that, again, affected everyone in the galaxy. That isn't an indictment of the federation. Any interstellar alliance will lose cohesion as interstellar travel becomes unfeasible.

Earth losing track of a colony inside the Solar system was pretty dumb though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's a speed bump though. The Federation wobbles, as do all other interstellar power structures, and then it recovers.

Treating it like a speedbump was another DISCO misstep. They set up a season of "we have the only reliable starship and we need to unite the disparate threads to weave a new Federation while dealing with the ascendant new empires that rose in its absence" and then just.. didn't do that.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Rubber Chicken posted:

There's something like 750 years of runway between Picard and The Burn, it's not hanging over anything

For comparisons sake the Lost Era is just 70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Treating it like a speedbump was another DISCO misstep. They set up a season of "we have the only reliable starship and we need to unite the disparate threads to weave a new Federation while dealing with the ascendant new empires that rose in its absence" and then just.. didn't do that.

There weren't new empires though. The orions weren't new, they just held onto a dilithium supply longer than anyone else. Even then I think we only see them with 1 legit warship, not a fleet. In the absence of empires there were petty local warlords and bandits.

Weaving a new interstellar federation without solving the transportation problem would never work. What would it be based on? Mutual defence? They can't defend each other. Trade? They can't trade. At that point all they have, all they can have, is space internet. Nothing brings people together like exchanging holonovels.

A single ship bopping around wasn't going to change that. Even if they tripled the crew and had it running missions 24/7 one ship could not handle all the defence, humanitarian aid, and taxi services an interstellar empire needs. If they tried they would eventually get trapped and captured (or destroyed) by someone else who wanted to have the only functional interstellar warship in the galaxy. The premise was nonsense from the start.