Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
A surprising number of people didn't spend all of their time in school playing Hearts on the computer for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I had a weekend of board games so I finally have an excuse to post in this thread again. Played these games over the course of 3 and a half days:

Factory Funner: Still cemented itself as a faster, easier version of the game, while somehow adding more depth to the factory designs as well as some catch up mechanisms and incentives to not just grab the first thing you see. I do feel that people have a marmite reaction to playing it: either they really love it or they really hate it. Still, glad I bought it, but last I heard the designer was a bit of a COVID nut, unfortunately.

Inside Job: This is basically The Crew but with a traitor element. I kind of enjoyed it but not enough to buy it or actively hunt for another game of it. In the game we played, the traitor didn't do enough to prevent the town from winning, so we just did 7 missions in a row and that was that. It does play really quickly though. I think it's an interesting idea but I'd rather just play either The Crew if I wanted a trick-taker or Avalon if I wanted a traitor game. Not bad but not exactly good either.

Dokitto Ice: Trick-taker where you are getting ice cream scoops from a shop, but can't get too many lest they fall (in essence, win 3 tricks or score no points). The novel mechanism is that if you can't follow suit, the lowest card wins instead of the highest, including any off-colour cards. A pretty cute trick-taker but not as good as Bottle Imp or Potato Man.

Winner's Cup: Never played this before but I kind of liked it. You are betting on horses that have a spread of possible speeds, and you move the horses by rolling a dice and picking one of them. I was losing until the very last round where all my ducks managed to line up. One of the better Knizia's I've played and relatively fast to play as well, and quite tactical despite the randomness.

Age of Innovation: Played two games of the latest version of Terra Mystica and I'm still impressed by it (much like last time I tried it). I came second-to-last and dead last but still enjoyed it, although the second game was the last game I played at the convention and I was dead tired and not thinking properly anymore. I would still consider selling TM if I ever bought this version of the game.

Doubt is Our Product: Not really a convention game but I enjoyed it. The theme is quite heavy, but in terms of gameplay I am really enjoying it, although it does have the issue that the gameplay for the Company is much more interesting than the one for the Movement. Still, I think it's a little gem and another interesting showcase of how games can both teach and have important messages attached to them.

The Crew Deep Sea: I just love the crew. I always say that it's the game that I wish I had designed. Deep Sea adds a ton of replay-ability and makes it more enjoyable to re-teach the game, since you will get different experiences with different groups. I also like it because it forces you to learn the deep mechanisms of trick-taking games in a non-competitive environment, and I've had many people say that they were able to play trick-takers a lot better once they got good at The Crew. Just a remarkable jewel of a game.

1822PNW: So, the big one. We ended up being 3 players, but I think that was probably a good thing in the end. It took us 9 hours to finish, although that included set up, a light teach (just of the PNW specific rules, since the other two players were 18xx old hands) and a lunch break, but it didn't feel like 9 hours of gameplay, and everyone was really invested and interested throughout. We had to look up a few rules but I think mostly we got everything correct, although I had to keep an eye out on the phase chart since there are quite a few differences between phases in games of 1822-alikes. The issues with face-to-face games of this was that there is a lot of footprint to the game, especially considering the number of minor companies that can come out, but thankfully the companies coalesce by the end of the game. Working out the score at the end was also annoying, but this is true of most 18XX and I really need to remember to bring my laptop to spreadsheet things next time. Overall, it was a lot of fun and I'm glad I played it, and the production qualities of All Aboard Games are pretty cool: love the small track tiles especially. Would try again although at a considerable interval.

Heat: Pedal to the Metal: After spending some time alone in my hotel room to decompress from the 18XX game, I decided on some lighter fare, and went for Heat since I had been meaning to try it. Overall, I loved it. The game is evocative of the theme, and I liked that there was just enough tactics and strategy to make it interesting. I understood pretty quickly that the titular Heat was more of a resource to spend rather than anything negative, and managed a pretty decent second place at the Italian race (which I think is one of the simpler ones). Highly recommended.

Concordia Venus: I'm very bad at Concordia but I love this simple design but with so much depth. Actually playing the game is relatively simple but there is so much to think about and manages to incorporate both tactical and strategical choices. I've always been impressed by this game.

Super-Skill Pinball: Star Trek: One of the few Roland Wrights I enjoy. Played solo while waiting for someone to finish a game and made a dismal display on the Lower Decks table, which has the neat gimmick of only giving you one round, but allowing you to flip the table after scoring 10 points, with flipper on both the top and bottom of the board. Game is very evocative of pinball itself and is fun both solo and with others.

Slay the Spire: Another game that I really wanted to try out during the convention, and I'm glad I did. It is very much the video game in cardboard form, but does offer a few interesting things in regards to the cooperative elements, although I do wish that they had done more to allow the players to cooperate with each other. If you like the video game and don't mind the extra logistical steps of tracking stuff yourself, I think you will enjoy it, but the game is close enough to the video game in terms of playing that if you are just going to play it solo, it's not worth getting. Still, I am considering getting a copy. Played two games, one with Ironclad and 3 players, where we died 2 HP from killing the Champ, and a 4 player as the Defect, which we ended after killing the Act I boss due to time constraints.

Dungeon Lords: Glad I got another game of this, I always enjoy it although I'm no where near as good at this game as I am playing Dungeon Petz. I enjoy the latter more since it's more tactical, although the action selection mechanism of Lords is superior, I feel, although Lords does feel a bit disjointed in terms of how the combat is resolved versus the action selection. Still, a game that I have fond memories of.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I seem to be a bit late on the draw but there’s a new Mage Knight expansion coming out in 2025????

https://shop.wizkids.com/products/mage-knight-the-apocalypse-dragon-expansion-set

Notably, while Vlaada’s name is still plastered on it the expansion is not designed by him.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Is there a specific board game buying / selling thread at all, or would it just be the standard goon marketplace? There are more and more games I'm having trouble tracking down in the UK.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

!Klams posted:

Is there a specific board game buying / selling thread at all, or would it just be the standard goon marketplace? There are more and more games I'm having trouble tracking down in the UK.

I've bought stuff that a well-known poster has advertised in this thread, but for safety's sake it might be better to go to an SA Mart thread. But I'm not sure if this thread is the right place for random "Does anyone have 'Monopoly: Spitalfields edition'?" or "Perchance does anyone have an extra copy of 'High Tea for Four: the Cutthroat Euro game of Tiny Wooden Blocks AND NO BLEEDING DICE'?" (I'm just making assumptions about what's popular in Ye Olde Blighty; it's been a while since I've been across the pond.) But I'm not the boss of this thread.

Just to belabor the obvious: you've tried eBay, Boardgamegeek, and Facebook marketplace? I've had good luck with the first two (haven't tried FB yet) -- I've found copies of weird, out-of-print, barely-remembered games both places, and BGG has lots of international listings.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

!Klams posted:

Same, moving and trying to unload like half my collection. Is it just like eBay, BGG, and Craigslist?

Most are like Kickstarter games or otherwise not particularly widespread, eg Darkest Dungeon, Septima, Perseverance, Artisans of Splendent Vale, etc.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Tekopo posted:

Dungeon Lords: Glad I got another game of this, I always enjoy it although I'm no where near as good at this game as I am playing Dungeon Petz. I enjoy the latter more since it's more tactical, although the action selection mechanism of Lords is superior, I feel, although Lords does feel a bit disjointed in terms of how the combat is resolved versus the action selection. Still, a game that I have fond memories of.

I've basically been out of the hobby for close to a decade, but Dungeon Lords was always one of my favorite games. It's also a game that I am absolutely terrible at and have yet to win despite always thinking that I'm doing well.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Played Wyrmspan last night and it's certainly a Wingspan Game. I would say it's probably a better game than Wingspan in general, there's a lot more engine building and running your engine is more satisfying. But the side effect of that is that it plays pretty long. 3 player game with rules took around 2 hours and I could see in 4 player games the times between your turns becoming pretty excessive because there's no interaction at all as far as I could see.

I never got around to playing Wingspan - but tried Wyrmspan the other night. The game basically works, and there's stuff to do and points to be gotten.. and OH HOLY GOD did I not care about any of it by the end. Game takes way too long, and absolutely does not justify that time in terms of interesting decisions or theme or anything.

To be clear, not only can turns be long, but they can be super unequal. A late-game explore turn can take a while to resolve as you make a bunch of fiddly decisions (that are mostly just tactical cube shuffling). "OK, if I take this cave I can get a milk next turn that I need to play this dragon so that three turns from now I can swap one wimple for a snit and blah blah blah". These decisions are totally arbitrary, because the costs and cards and ability don't make any thematic sense - you just have to look at all the available dumb dragons to see what you might need. And you can't pre-think these decisions because the tiny market is likely to be completely different by the time it's your turn.

And you can't really gloss over these decisions and just grab stuff... because putting together reasonably efficient turns is pretty much the whole game. A good chunk of the game comes down to whether you pick the right cave, which is decision 4 of 12 on your stupid long explore turn you can't get ready for. So everyone just gets to wait while you solve that bland puzzle, and make a decision that is absolutely non-memorable and uninteractive.

On the flip side, after you wait for some long turns, your turn can often be instant. I play a dragon (or a cave). Done. Takes zero time - and you can usually have everything queued up. And sometimes you're effectively using two turns at once (eg. when you play a dragon that costs a coin). Players can end up taking a significantly different number of turns by the end. Like, I won our 3 player game while probably using 15% of the total game time.

With so little interaction, there's no reason they couldn't have made this work better. Draft the dragons/caves so you can see enough cards at once to try to make some kind of cohesive "game strategy" and give the game anything to remember it by. Get rid of "explore" as an action, and just have everyone explore each of their caves at the same time once at the end of the round (or something).

And do something to make the dragons interesting or thematic somehow. Feeding hatchlings until they grow. Fine. But the rest of the dragon properties were just meaningless. Large/shy/emo/playful - none of this mattered thematically - just arbitrary fiddling: "draw a dragon, do X if it's Shy" or "who has the most large dragons". Even the resources almost never mattered - it's not like I had an engine that made Meat, but no way to get Gold or something. Most of the time I was getting a resource I could pick any, or I could pick "whatever came free with an available cave". Just more fiddly bit contributing nothing other than tedious checking. Either make it so my cave has a Gold mine and so I'm building a strategy around Gold and a few big dragons that want a gold hoard... or just... get rid of it. Don't have a bunch of components and decisions that go nowhere.

You guys ever play Cat Lady? Same game in some ways - but probably more interesting decisions and more thematic in a game that's 1/10th the size and time. And I don't play it because it's not a good game.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 7, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jmzero posted:

I never got around to playing Wingspan - but tried Wyrmspan the other night. The game basically works, and there's stuff to do and points to be gotten.. and OH HOLY GOD did I not care about any of it by the end. Game takes way too long, and absolutely does not justify that time in terms of interesting decisions or theme or anything.

Glad to hear that it stays true to the successful formula of Wingspan.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Oath Expansion Kickstarting later this month. Going on the very short list of games I buy expansions for without having gotten the original to the table.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

CitizenKeen posted:

Oath Expansion Kickstarting later this month. Going on the very short list of games I buy expansions for without having gotten the original to the table.

Really going to be curious where they go with the expansion. I played a one off of Oath a while ago, which I know is not how it is really intended. That being said I still had fun with it. I am excited that we recently settled on a group of 4 of us that I think have the right mindset to get multiple playthroughs, which we are planning for next month.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Came here to post about it. Definitely going to slam an order for that. I love Oath, it's one of my favourite games.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
- Player identity focused around player colour with traits, quests, temptation with curses (that allows them to borrows future power into the now). -> to allow people to move beyond the 'victory-question'.

- Reimagined chronicle system: end state will be split along the different achievements, laying decision-making with different people during intermission.

- Adding a booklet (like ARCS) where different rules can get introduced into the game. Might influence the game through semi-permanent rules over the sessions.

- Game-mode semi-coop with crisis system to have Oath work with lower player counts.

Nothing set in stone, Everything still in development and subject to change. Just current ideas being tried.

Also mentioned was an additional 50-60 cards.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Intriguing. Oath adds a good bit of player asymmetry as-is by virtue of the territories and artifacts held, so I’m not dying for that, but a bit more flavor to the Chronicle system and some additional legacy mechanics would be appreciated.

I don’t know that Oath will benefit from a lot more rules, but I’d probably feel differently if we played regularly enough that we didn’t have to re-learn the combat system each time.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Hey Eurogoons, I've finally put up an SA-mart post to sell my excess board games. You can find it here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4060293

I'm also selling my Android Netrunner collection. You can find that post here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4060294

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Played On Mars after a long involuntary hiatus (things kept getting in the way of game day), so I was behind the meta curve of our group. Still acquitted myself well in third, 88-90-102.

What an amazing game it is! For complicated games, I think about them and what pieces of chrome could be removed without harm. There's very little with On Mars when you really think about it. I came up with one solid maybe:
  • Scientists: bonus for starting on the planet (cheaper to acquire) and make advanced buildings more valuable
  • Discovery tiles: Encouragement to travel to/from the surface to gain new bonuses; shortcuts on actions
  • Executive actions: You crazy? They're the heart of the game
  • Contracts: I think you could eliminate contracts without too much disruption to the game; it seems like everyone always gets 1 or 2 so they're a wash, but on the other hand they're not onerous and they give the scientist action space a purpose once all six are gone
Can't wait to play again!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Any recommendations for games where you pick a faction, and like Twilight Imperium or Eclipse, that faction has loads of unique abilities / upgrades / techs etc?

Thinking stuff like, Spirit Island, Starcraft (and so also Forbidden Stars), Ankh, Runewars etc?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

!Klams posted:

Any recommendations for games where you pick a faction, and like Twilight Imperium or Eclipse, that faction has loads of unique abilities / upgrades / techs etc?

Thinking stuff like, Spirit Island, Starcraft (and so also Forbidden Stars), Ankh, Runewars etc?

Well, you don't pick your faction, but Cosmic Encounter (especially multi-power CE) does this, especially the Eon/FFG editions with reusable super flares.

Gaia Project? Dune: Imperium/Uprising? Not loads of unique abilities, but enough to make a big difference in play?

For 2P, Twilight Struggle practically defines asymmetry. Some cards are mirror images of each other (CIA Founded/Lone Gunman), but the majority are side-specific. Watergate for a quicker, less-complex 2P CDG.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Admiralty Flag posted:

Well, you don't pick your faction, but Cosmic Encounter (especially multi-power CE) does this, especially the Eon/FFG editions with reusable super flares.

You could always do CE like my group where you're dealt 3 factions to choose from

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

mikeycp posted:

You could always do CE like my group where you're dealt 3 factions to choose from

Yeah, we usually do “get 3; keep 1, discard 1, pass 1 left (or whatever)” for two powers so there’s both elements of choice and screwing other players. (Plus the rare joy of having something like Vulch passed to you when you kept Mesmer, which of course never happens to me.)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I really like the variant of King of Tokyo with monster specific mutations but that's not at all what you're looking for, probably

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

!Klams posted:

Summoner wars 2 if you’re not opposed to card games

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

!Klams posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/266448/imperium-the-contention - Imperium the Contention is the "holy poo poo this plays in 30-45 mins?!?!" version of that. Gives a very Twilight Imperium feeling of races, ships, techs, etc. but doesn't take a whole day to play.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

!Klams posted:

Root and Vast are pretty asymmetrical if that's what you're looking for.

Mage Knight has unique skill tiles for each character and one or two unique cards in each character's deck. If you're ok with co-op games there's a lot more like this - Gloomhaven, Descent, a bunch of other dungeon crawling games I can't remember.

Theseus: The Dark Orbit has unique factions and upgrades, I'm not sure if it's any good though. I played it once and was unsure if I was playing correctly.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Theseus: The Dark Orbit is a fantastic game that hums along very satisfyingly, but the mechanics are just a wee bit too abstracted to make intuitive sense. This dooms it to relative obscurity IMO as well as being either a game people love or hate (so far I'm the only one I know personally who loves it apparently)

Mage Knight has a very, very satisfying leveling up and powering up curve. Start out a (evil) superhuman megawarrior, end up a (still evil) superhuman powerhouse trashing cities :yum:

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
My wife and I are having our first child in just over a month, so the last few months have been a mad dash to play as many games as we can before schedules and sleep get crazy for the foreseeable future. Here's a long impressions post about some of the games we have played recently.

Barcelona: I thought this was a neat take on the worker placement genre, which also had an interesting historical lesson on how Barcelona's architecture came to be. The pioneer of the architecture style was planning a city with a good mixture of lower, middle, and upper class people with a good balance of building space and greenery. Each turn you blind draw two families from a bag, which you then place on a street corner of the city. You then take two or three actions depending on where you placed the families, corresponding to actions of the horizontal, vertical and potentially diagonal streets. After your actions, Depending on how many of each class of family are on that block, a certain type of building may be constructed at the end of your turn. Buildings which allow lower class families to move in will help your score multiplier, but buildings with the upper class families can give you other bonuses. Throughout this time you are also building up roads for bonuses, moving a streetcar around, building up a personal player board for bonuses, and also helping to construct the Sagrada Familia. I went in thinking that the game had too many moving parts but I actually ended up fairly impressed with it, especially since it came from my "most themeless mid-weight euro game" friend. It looks great on the table, and balancing all of the different paths feels great. There are three different scoring rounds that trigger when a certain number of families of each class move in. I saw an opportunity to push for a quicker end-game by moving in many low-income families while my opponents were slow rolling their strategies, which ended up working for me in the end. I would like to play this one again.

Concordia Venus: A game I own but have only played once before. It's good! I wish the box was a normal size.

Clank! Legacy: Acquisitions Incorporated: I played base Clank! once years ago and was not super impressed. However, we have some friends that recently moved nearby who are fairly new to the board game scene. One is a little more into the hobby than the other, but they both enjoy our game nights and I was looking for a legacy game to play with them since they had not played one before and I thought they would be charmed by the concept. I steered away from Pandemic Legacy mostly because two of us had already played them all. I will be 100% honest that the game itself is still Clank, and it is still not all that great. However, I saw an opportunity for a fairly simple game that we could play over and over again and they loved the game-by-game reveals. It was awesome starting with about 60% of a double-sided board filled and adding stickers, cards, and new rules and seeing the delight every time something unexpected happened. I think this is a fantastic experience to share with those who are new to the hobby, as long as you can play regularly. We made sure to always end the night scheduling the next game to ensure we finished all 10 actually it is 11, and you put a sticker for an 11th game on the game log which was pretty unexpected games. We will definitely be checking out Clank! Legacy 2 whenever it comes out.

Golem: ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dune: War for Arrakis: Not as epic as War of the Ring, but scratches at least some of the same itch while being a much quicker game. I miss the novelty of the dual victory paths in WotR, but mechanically this game feels very solid and the theme really shines through. Fremen popping up in the desert to take out spice harvesters, Harkonnen having massive forces. BIG WORMS, it's all there and is extremely evocative.

Bardwood Grove: A tableau builder where every few turns you have to expend your tableau and start building it up again. The actual mechanics of the game were fairly novel. Each player is a musician wandering the town, learning new parts to a song and performing at different taverns for fans and victory points. The players always have 2 cards in their hand. On their turn, one gets played into the tableau and the other gets discarded to trigger an immediate effect. After a few turns, you trigger your "song" and get to play out all of the cards in your tableau in any order. Cards will usually give you one of a few different currencies (volume, melody, and lyrics) which can be spent on new cards, performances for points, etc. Some cards you can add to your deck work as cantrips that immediately get placed into your tableau when drawn, allowing you to build an even bigger song before it gets performed. At the end of your turn all cards in your tableau are discarded and you begin building it up again. I thought the tableau building and destroying was fairly novel, and my favorite part of the game. However, around 3/4 of your turns are a quick "play cards, move your person" and the other 1/4 of your turns are a brain melting sequence of keeping track of 3 currencies and trying to figure out how to trigger everything you want to do in the correct order. Because of this the game felt very lopsided. In addition, the turns where you trigger the song are the only turns where you actually interact with spaces on the map, which was pretty strange. The game is not a campaign game but it does come with 4 unlockable boxes which each add new mechanics and characters to play. We've played twice so far and are all interested in playing a few more to see all the content.

Through the Desert: A game I've been interested in for years that I picked up in the recent AllPlay Kickstarter reprint. The game is a masterclass in rules simplicity and a low playtime, and so far everyone we have introduced this to has loved it. Haven't tried any of the new modules yet, but I'm not sure if the game needs them. I did pick up the wooden camel pack, and although I love the look of the screen printed camels it seems less functional as you cannot see the color of the leader from all angles.

Terraforming Mars: Played this a few times on BGA when it was released and wasn't super impressed. Then we went to a friends house for a game night and he had recently picked it up, so we tried it out in person. I don't have many new thoughts here, the game is fine but goes on probably too long, it's not really anything I will ask to play. Now that BGA has the Prelude expansion I definitely enjoy the game with that included as it kickstarts your engine quite a bit at the beginning of the game. I would probably play this over Ark Nova though they feel similar. I am SHOCKED that this game got so popular with some of the worst design work and implementation of any game I have played. The cards are ugly, the layout is ugly, everything is pretty terrible.

Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood: I kickstarted the reprint of this game at some point after a Gloomhaven campaign ended and I was looking for another epic campaign game. So far we have played 4 out of the 20ish scenarios and I am not super impressed. Each game is split into 2 parts, a story section with minimal player decisions and then a boss battle. I haven't loved the story so far, though some of it seems interesting, and the actually tactical combat seems like it could be deep but I don't find it very fun. We'll probably give this one another go or so mostly because we recently got a vaulted table that allows us to keep games set up without a cat messing it up, and it is still on the table. If I'm not starting to get impressed after a few more rounds, which are probably 3+ hours long each, I will sell this one.

New Frontiers with The Starry Rift: I'm a big fan of Race and Roll but always thought New Frontiers was lacking. The expansion adds more variety to the game, and I do appreciate it more now. There's a new, in-depth solo game included here as well but I never play games solo so I'm not sure how it actually is.

Brass: Lancashire and then Brass: Birmingham: Both still great games. When we played them back-to-back years ago I came away preferring Birmingham. We did the same back-to-back this year and now I'm not so sure. I would like one for my collection.

The Vale of Eternity: A quick tableau building game with a neat spin on resource management. At the beginning of the round each person drafts 2 cards, and each card has a cost to play. There are currency values of 1, 3, and 6, and you can only ever hold 4. When you pay for something there is no change, so while at first it seems like you would just try to get 4 "6" tokens this actually could be inefficient. Some cards allow you to have an extra token, some cards increase the value of the 1s or the 3s, and then there are 5 different card factions that each have their own flavor and specialty. The game is super snappy and can feel satisfying when your combos pop off.

Galactic Renaissance : I crowdfunded this when I heard that is was by the same designer as Inis and is supposed to be somewhat of a spiritual successor to it. Instead of fighting, everyone plays an alien faction trying to work peacefully in the galactic senate. This game is a deckbuilder with a tiny initial hand size of 2 cards, but many of the cards allow you to take another action after resolving the first. When you have control of a planet you get a special ability, much like in Inis. There are two things I was charmed by in this game. The first was scoring points. One of the cards you start with allows you to score points based on the currently visible shared Objective Cards. Most of these award 1 or 2 points per planet matching a specific criteria, but those criteria are often very specific. "Earn 1 point for each planet with a specific building on it where you have exactly 2 units" "Earn 2 VP for each opponent on a planet where you have the most units" and so on. This creates a strange dance where you are trying to create big scoring opportunities for yourself while denying others. However, there are also cards that add brand new planets to the mix, so if you are struggling in some places you can open up new opportunities. The game starts with two objective cards at the beginning of the game, reveals a third when a player hits the first score threshold, changes the first objective at the another threshold, and then changes the second objective at the final threshold. The other piece I both enjoyed and was annoyed by was the win condition. The game ends when a player hits 30 points, but they can only win on a turn in which they score 10 or more points simultaneously. If you make it all the way up to 29 but can't get to 30, you get reset down to 20 when the turn ends. This is really cool as it rewards the careful planning of an explosive turn, but what ended up happening was we were all stuck at 20 for a few rounds until someone finally hit it, and I'm worried every game will end this way, so really it is just "whoever can hit 10+ points first on a single turn." I'm intrigued and interested in playing it some more.

The Voyages of Marco Polo: A game I own but forget how much I enjoy it until I pull it out every few years and go "dang I really like that game." I love variable player powers in games, but especially so when every character's powers seem obscenely overpowered for the game. You roll dice to determine what actions you take in this game, but one character can just set the dice to whatever they want??? One character can teleport around the map??? So cool. I've played the sequel on BGA but it feels different enough to not be an upgrade while also being the same enough to not have both in the collection.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
every game by level99 leans hard into faction specific gimmicks. argent: the consortium is a WP with that, their fighting games are all super into that. not sure if its a hard recommend because the play experience can be a bit uneven in their games, but they hit that note hard.

puzzle strike is dominion + unique starting character decks.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I haven't traded or bought and sold games on the aftermarket in a long time. I have a bunch of games that are apparently now out of print but the prices on them seem to fluctuate all over the place. One example is Chaos in the Old World and the horned rat expansion. Is that games expansion alone really worth like $200 to some people?

Reason I ask is somebody on BGG offered a trade for CiTOW + expansion for Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy, which seems like a bad deal if the value shown on BGG is actually realistic (I could sell just the expanion and have more than enough money to get Eclipse new).

Jesus, Talisman selling for over $200? I don't know what to make of any of this.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Thanks for the trip report. Just visually that game looks neat for any city nerd. Give me a game named after some city I'll never visit, I say!

And yeah, Clank! Legacy would be my go-to Legacy experience for non-hardcore gamers, but I also like Clank quite a bit.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Radioactive Toy posted:

Galactic Renaissance : I crowdfunded this when I heard that is was by the same designer as Inis and is supposed to be somewhat of a spiritual successor to it. Instead of fighting, everyone plays an alien faction trying to work peacefully in the galactic senate. This game is a deckbuilder with a tiny initial hand size of 2 cards, but many of the cards allow you to take another action after resolving the first. When you have control of a planet you get a special ability, much like in Inis. There are two things I was charmed by in this game. The first was scoring points. One of the cards you start with allows you to score points based on the currently visible shared Objective Cards. Most of these award 1 or 2 points per planet matching a specific criteria, but those criteria are often very specific. "Earn 1 point for each planet with a specific building on it where you have exactly 2 units" "Earn 2 VP for each opponent on a planet where you have the most units" and so on. This creates a strange dance where you are trying to create big scoring opportunities for yourself while denying others. However, there are also cards that add brand new planets to the mix, so if you are struggling in some places you can open up new opportunities. The game starts with two objective cards at the beginning of the game, reveals a third when a player hits the first score threshold, changes the first objective at the another threshold, and then changes the second objective at the final threshold. The other piece I both enjoyed and was annoyed by was the win condition. The game ends when a player hits 30 points, but they can only win on a turn in which they score 10 or more points simultaneously. If you make it all the way up to 29 but can't get to 30, you get reset down to 20 when the turn ends. This is really cool as it rewards the careful planning of an explosive turn, but what ended up happening was we were all stuck at 20 for a few rounds until someone finally hit it, and I'm worried every game will end this way, so really it is just "whoever can hit 10+ points first on a single turn." I'm intrigued and interested in playing it some more.
I’ve only played this once, but it seemed a little “Random Bullshit Go!” (Which is rich coming from me, a Cosmic Encounter Stan.) The variability in the power levels of the special cards seems pretty high. It was interesting to see the winner go from 17 to 30 in one fell swoop, but she was in control the whole game so I’m not complaining about that, and agree that the 20->30 is a very interesting rule. I’m not ruling the game out, but I need to play it more. There’s definitely more here than some other games; just not sure if it’s really balanced re: the special cards. (It’s automatically balanced re: the planets, because if a really good one comes up, people will fight like hell for it.)

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Admiralty Flag posted:

I’ve only played this once, but it seemed a little “Random Bullshit Go!” (Which is rich coming from me, a Cosmic Encounter Stan.) The variability in the power levels of the special cards seems pretty high. It was interesting to see the winner go from 17 to 30 in one fell swoop, but she was in control the whole game so I’m not complaining about that, and agree that the 20->30 is a very interesting rule. I’m not ruling the game out, but I need to play it more. There’s definitely more here than some other games; just not sure if it’s really balanced re: the special cards. (It’s automatically balanced re: the planets, because if a really good one comes up, people will fight like hell for it.)

This is a good point. I forgot to mention that the cards you are building your deck with are all unique, and also have sooooooo many words. I need to play it more, and try it with both 2 and 4 as we played with 3 so far.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Radioactive Toy posted:

Barcelona: I thought this was a neat take on the worker placement genre, which also had an interesting historical lesson on how Barcelona's architecture came to be. The pioneer of the architecture style was planning a city with a good mixture of lower, middle, and upper class people with a good balance of building space and greenery. Each turn you blind draw two families from a bag, which you then place on a street corner of the city. You then take two or three actions depending on where you placed the families, corresponding to actions of the horizontal, vertical and potentially diagonal streets. After your actions, Depending on how many of each class of family are on that block, a certain type of building may be constructed at the end of your turn. Buildings which allow lower class families to move in will help your score multiplier, but buildings with the upper class families can give you other bonuses. Throughout this time you are also building up roads for bonuses, moving a streetcar around, building up a personal player board for bonuses, and also helping to construct the Sagrada Familia. I went in thinking that the game had too many moving parts but I actually ended up fairly impressed with it, especially since it came from my "most themeless mid-weight euro game" friend. It looks great on the table, and balancing all of the different paths feels great. There are three different scoring rounds that trigger when a certain number of families of each class move in. I saw an opportunity to push for a quicker end-game by moving in many low-income families while my opponents were slow rolling their strategies, which ended up working for me in the end. I would like to play this one again.

This game looks pretty fun, I maybe won't rush to pick it up because I already have half a dozen extremely brown Euros which I don't play as much as I like, but it would amuse me to have a third game which is tentatively about building a church / cathedral since "let's play the game where you build the cathedral" is already a running joke in my gaming group (I always want it to be Troyes, it's usually Sagrada :v:)

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

This game looks pretty fun, I maybe won't rush to pick it up because I already have half a dozen extremely brown Euros which I don't play as much as I like, but it would amuse me to have a third game which is tentatively about building a church / cathedral since "let's play the game where you build the cathedral" is already a running joke in my gaming group (I always want it to be Troyes, it's usually Sagrada :v:)

If you get a copy of Keythedral you could make it a 4th!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I haven't traded or bought and sold games on the aftermarket in a long time. I have a bunch of games that are apparently now out of print but the prices on them seem to fluctuate all over the place. One example is Chaos in the Old World and the horned rat expansion. Is that games expansion alone really worth like $200 to some people?

Reason I ask is somebody on BGG offered a trade for CiTOW + expansion for Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy, which seems like a bad deal if the value shown on BGG is actually realistic (I could sell just the expanion and have more than enough money to get Eclipse new).

Jesus, Talisman selling for over $200? I don't know what to make of any of this.

That's probably complete Talisman.

The price for CITOW/Horned Rat on BGG is realistic. It's much sought after for the IP and everyone knows it. The dealer is trying to rip you off.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That guy is trying to rip you off.

The two guys that go for absolutely crazy prices (BSG and CITOW) are both 'good games' in big IPs which have absolutely no hope of ever being reprinted due to licensing issues so the normal approach of just holding out for a reprint isn't going to work.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
TIL that CitoW + HR are then most valuable games I own, tied with Mega Civ.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm incredibly surprised that FFG haven't made a Lovecraft reskin of chaos in the old world, like they did with BSG -> Unfathomable.

Four great old ones fighting over a map instead of the Warhammer chaos gods seems like a no-brainer to get out a new edition.

Yeah that is shocking but like Palpy pointed out, maybe them doing anything at all is shocking. Just seems like that there's enough demand to do a splashy release of it with some blinged out components and (may Allah forgive me for even uttering this) do a Kickstarter even but that's more of a CMON thing I guess.

I have only played Chaos twice and found it fine but recall struggling with the rules, some vaguely hostile players, and my wife could not care less about loving Warhammer poo poo so the theme was a bit of a dud.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 10, 2024

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm incredibly surprised that FFG haven't made a Lovecraft reskin of chaos in the old world, like they did with BSG -> Unfathomable.

Four great old ones fighting over a map instead of the Warhammer chaos gods seems like a no-brainer to get out a new edition.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I never got around to owning Horned Rat but you can pry CitOW from my cold dead hands. Such a good game.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'll never be surprised that post-Azmodee FFG hasn't done something. Who would do the work? Place is gutted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I wasn't a big fan of Horned Rat. The balance of the four original gods is very good, and swapping one of them out for the rat felt off. And if you have all five the game becomes much less snappy and kinda starts to drag, though this might've been the group I played with.