Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

marumaru posted:

it's way more efficient to just have two prison cells (one awful, cold, no beds; one amazing) and arrest your colonists to convert them

eeeeeeh, then you'll have a bunch of dead weight while you're working on it, which can take a while, not to mention that they'll have a pretty long-lasting mood debuff afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

worm girl posted:

I just did a conversion ritual after confirming that my moral guide had her abilities off cooldown. The ritual put the ability on cooldown. It also puts the ritual on cooldown if you do the ability first. The pawn in question was brought down to 54% certainty, but she'll have regained most of that by the time the ability cooldown is up, and she'll have regained all of it by the time the ritual cooldown is up.

The ritual also has a fixed, unremovable chance of being terrible, which will usually add around 20% to the target pawn's certainty. Social impact, which you really want on your moral guide, seems to add to this unwanted certainty gain. I had a pawn at 40% rocket back up to around 100% on a terrible ritual. Ineffective rituals are also harmful, adding a base 12%. Even at the max ritual effectiveness, with a fully appointed temple and everything, the chances are:

5% Terrible
15% Ineffective
60% Effective: +3
20% Masterful: +6

So you've got a 1/5 chance to instantly convert the pawn, yes, but you've also got a 1/5 chance to gently caress it up and make it worse, meaning that the ritual method on a pawn who is in any way resistant (say, a psychopath or a pawn with high expectations) you're usually wasting your time. The best possible scenario is that every 20 days you have a 1/5 chance to convert the pawn, and every time you fail you just make them mad and undo any progress you'd made.

Imprisoning the pawn and setting them to convert generally takes a few days. It leaves them with a mood debuff for about two weeks, but that isn't that big of a deal. Any warden, not just your moral guide, can convert prisoners, and doing so does not set the moral guide's ability on cooldown. This also ensures your guide's cooldowns are free for counseling and preach health, which can be a lot more important.

So the ritual is bullshit and a waste of time, IMO.

My pawns always max out their certainty between ability cooldowns, so the ritual with its 20% chance of instant conversion is way better than something that isn't effective at all. If they're at max certainty anyway then there's no risk, and if you don't get the instant conversion then you can still imprison them and convert them that way

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 7, 2024

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly if having a mix of ideologies is a consistent problem (and speaking from experience I am not a fan of it either no) you should just go and download one or more mods that makes conversion power more effective or change the mechanics. I'm not at my PC but I know off the to too of my head there's one that adds a staff that makes the moral guide ability significantly stronger, several that just boost the poo poo out of conversion power (%300+), and so on. Yeah it would be better if the vanilla mechanic was less dumb but its trivial to mod.

The extreme end cases of iron willed stubborn abrasive assholes may still take multiple attempts but that is sort of the point of traits like that I guess.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

it's not particularly onerous to run the ritual and conversion power a few times

it's micro, it's easy to forget to do it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i mean i get the purity of the game mechanics and blah blah blah but for me rimworld is one of the few pure sandboxy things i have a massive amount of hours per dollar into if you hate something just cheat or mod. do both even sometimes. its ok. character editor, switch ideologies. done.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are there any pure style mods that people recommend? Like Morbid, Animist, Archotech etc in the base game that just changes the looks of a bunch of stuff. No mechanical changes, just cosmetic.

I had kinda hoped there would be an Egyptian one for a desert tribal colony, but I couldn't find anything I liked.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Are there any pure style mods that people recommend? Like Morbid, Animist, Archotech etc in the base game that just changes the looks of a bunch of stuff. No mechanical changes, just cosmetic.

I had kinda hoped there would be an Egyptian one for a desert tribal colony, but I couldn't find anything I liked.

There is a new gothic one that I quite like, and if you search "crypts" there's a mod that adds some more buildable decorations that complements it quite well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

This reminds me a lot of the Anty race, with the emphasis on important queens mass producing short-lived and crappy disposable pawns, with its own unique take on it. I'll definitely give it a shot next time I have time to get a run together.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

Alpha Memes or whatever has an egypt style, tho I don't like how it's implemented (it changes the default wall texture, and that looks bad) and without cherry picker to fix it I unno. And it comes with a bunch of gameplay stuff to so not really what your looking for. VE Memes expanded also comes with some styles, but gameplay stuff too.

There are some pure style packs I use frequently tho:

Urb World Style
Techist Style Expanded
VE Sophian Style
Rimsenal Sophian style
- Rename the above to Sovereign so you can tell it apart from VE Sophian in menus
Dwarven Style

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

"Style Change Anytime" or whatever it's called is a godsend for stuff like that, since it... just let's you change the style of stuff from a dropdown menu. Can just set the fancy alpha memes walls to the normal graphics both before and after they're built for example.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh thats neato. never thought about changing the look of the basic stuff.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Cheers, thanks all. I'll definitely check out some of those mods

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Asimo posted:

Honestly if having a mix of ideologies is a consistent problem (and speaking from experience I am not a fan of it either no) you should just go and download one or more mods that makes conversion power more effective or change the mechanics. I'm not at my PC but I know off the to too of my head there's one that adds a staff that makes the moral guide ability significantly stronger, several that just boost the poo poo out of conversion power (%300+), and so on. Yeah it would be better if the vanilla mechanic was less dumb but its trivial to mod.

The extreme end cases of iron willed stubborn abrasive assholes may still take multiple attempts but that is sort of the point of traits like that I guess.
Yeah, I just got a mod that makes the moral guide ability like 300x stronger and called it a day. It's not instant(it usually takes like 2-3 shots, assuming I don't forget about it for a week after the first one) but that's fine, I simply don't have patience for dealing with this busywork for ages with every single new colonist.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

worm girl posted:

So the ritual is bullshit and a waste of time, IMO.

If the pawn has conversion rate reduced to 25%, the only thing that will convert them is the 20% chance of masterful conversion.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SugarAddict posted:

If the pawn has conversion rate reduced to 25%, the only thing that will convert them is the 20% chance of masterful conversion.

Or deleting their episodic memory by blasphemous ritual.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I believe More Religious Origins is purely aesthetic and has an Egyptian style. It doesn't change a ton of stuff, but it's got statues columns and ritual spots.

I also use Vanilla Ideology Expanded- Memes and Structures just for the aesthetic bits. And Alpha Memes was already mentioned, but I think the overhaul goes a bit far for some things.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Lmao at this gem from Alpha Memes

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn’t that just Minecraft?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My weapon of choice is a rubber dick with a veiny cube on one end

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

QuarkJets posted:

The most flared base

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really want to use the styles from Alpha Memes but I really don't want the gameplay additions it forces on you.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

QuarkJets posted:

actually that's just an alpha channel in case you prefer wood/steel/various stones/plasteel/gold/uranium/jade/etc

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

More accurately, it's a dick shape with an alpha channel

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Are there any Vehicle Framework mods that add stuff that isn't too crazy? Stuff that's useful without blowing balance completely out of the water. The basic stuff in Vehicles Expanded seems kind of terrible, huge investments of resources for utility vehicles that aren't that great for caravans compared to animals, or combat vehicles that get absolutely shredded by small arms fire. Outside of that, most of what I've seen has been like, "this tank is an unstoppable killing machine, godspeed" - which is cool, but not what I'm looking for at the moment. Surely there's something out there that strikes a good balance?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

OwlFancier posted:

It can be, although that runs the risk of them prison breaking and you then killing them trying to recapture them. Which is more severe than the downsides of the non-imprisoning conversion process a lot of the time.

By not imprisoning them they still contribute to the colony and it's not particularly onerous to run the ritual and conversion power a few times. Plus you want to do the ritual anyway for the points.

Prison breaks are less likely to occur if you have fewer prisoners and if those prisoners have a debuffed move score. You can avoid prison breaks entirely by performing a hemogen extraction on your prisoners once or twice, as they'll be too weak to rebel for a couple of days. I don't think they even get a moodlet for the surgical hemogen extraction, and it consumes 0 medicine. Food poisoning will also severely hamper their movement, as will cryptosleep or softscanner sickness. You can also equip the colonist with a torture crown to give them 5% pain before arresting them, reducing their movement and making them easier to nonlethally down if they do escape. Burkas also reduce movement by .4 c/s.

If you're not a monster, you can accomplish the same thing with smokeleaf or beer, or by anesthetizing them, which only costs an herbal medicine. In the latter case they'll be knocked out for a few hours and then too woozy to rebel for about a day afterwards. If your colony is well established, sticking a circadian assistant or other brain implant in the colonist gives you a way to easily down them with an EMP grenade any time you need to stop them from doing something stupid. Note that this only applies to the Royalty brain implants, the lower-tech ones in the base game won't do it.

Yes, that's a lot of micro, but I've never had a prison break come up in the two or three days it took to reeducate a colonist, so I don't think it's a big concern. You also don't get any development points via the ritual 20% of the time.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Funnily enough, depending on their ideological belief they might get far more pissed at you for forcing them to smoke a blunt, than if you constantly drain their blood.

Also, regarding hemogen farming. Drawing blood produces a blood pack that restores 40 hemogen, and doesn't seem to piss of the patient at all, while bloodfeeding directly restores 20 hemogen and definitely pisses off anyone that doesn't have the bloodfeeder ideology.
Am I missing something here, or is it basically always better to just extract packs and use them directly for a sanguophage?

Edit: For prisoners specifically

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 8, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
The bloodfeed ability is mostly for use during combat, where you can hit downed enemies with it, or during emergencies where your sanguophage needs more blood right friggin now. I sometimes have mine nip one of my backliners so she can get enough juice to coagulate a dying character.

Masochists negate the mood penalty from bloodfeeding. There's a mod that makes some characters get a small mood buff from the feeding, which IMO should be in vanilla.

If you somehow have a noble guest who is also a sanguophage, they will get a mood debuff from consuming hemogen packs, but not from using bloodfeed, which is kinda fun.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 8, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the bloodfeed ability is not bad for use in the field when you need a hemogen infusion stat, but there is an option for prisoners to have your sanguophages feed on them, which seems like a worse option for sanguophages than just farming them for packs and using them directly?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Maybe it's for situations where none of your colonists are capable of doing medical jobs. It is an odd corner case though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It is for people who have a vampire fetish.The biting is the best part.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My vampires only want blood from free range baseliners, none of that factory farmed junk. :colbert:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

isndl posted:

My vampires only want blood from free range baseliners, none of that factory farmed junk. :colbert:

Do you subscribe to Blood of the Month Club too? They send me a selection of artisanal raiders every quadrum.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Blood of the Month reviews:

Waster: a bit too chemically tasting and has a somewhat off putting smell
Yttakin: capable of being highly chilled without crystallizing, with a slight though pleasant musk
Pigskin: a lovely, silky mouthfeel though the occasional glob of fat was slightly off putting

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of Sanguophages, give them a Juggernaut serum and they'll heal any injury in like half a day, it's hilarious.
Lasts for 10 days, and is pretty cheap to make too. Strong stuff

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of Sanguophages, give them a Juggernaut serum and they'll heal any injury in like half a day, it's hilarious.
Lasts for 10 days, and is pretty cheap to make too. Strong stuff

i wish there was a way to schedule ghouls to take drugs because there's no downside for them consuming juggernaut serum and its long lasting and cheap enough to make that you could keep a bunch of ghouls hopped up on it 24/7. ghouls can use drugs on their own as-is so its weird there is no way to schedule drugs for them

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i wish there was a way to schedule ghouls to take drugs because there's no downside for them consuming juggernaut serum and its long lasting and cheap enough to make that you could keep a bunch of ghouls hopped up on it 24/7. ghouls can use drugs on their own as-is so its weird there is no way to schedule drugs for them

Even for living pawns, the downside seems to be just -10 mood for the duration, it's not bad at all.
The new drugs are all really strong, I really recommend people to experiment with them. They're cheap enough to craft that you don't really have to worry about "wasting" them.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

worm girl posted:

If you're not a monster, you can accomplish the same thing with smokeleaf or beer, or by anesthetizing them, which only costs an herbal medicine.
Hmm, I never thought of that. If you leave smokeleaf in prison will your prisoners just use it, like they would eat a meal? That's a great idea to keep prisoners docile, but if you have to actually administer it that's probably more micro than it's worth.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Autobong

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
After annihilating and rebuilding my mod list, I've lost a mod that enables different types of funerals - specifically, there was a cremation burial that would produce an urn afterwards. I thought it was in Alpha Memes, but when I installed that and checked I wasn't seeing it. Is there another mod that adds different types of funerals for ideologies, or did my eyes somehow just glaze over all of them the last time I checked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Vanilla expanded ideologies adds more funerals I think?