Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Hi everyone!

I really enjoy long-form articles, like the sort you'd find in The New Yorker. At the moment, I have the eligibility to get academic/student discounts, as well as a credit card bonus offer that I'd like to burn through. So, I'd like to get back into my old habit of reading literary magazines, which I haven't had the chance to do for about a decade now. I don't really know what's out there currently, so what are some suggestions that don't suck?

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but it seemed the closest. Apologies if I'm in the wrong thread!

(I do also want to discuss book recommendations, that'll come later this month when I figure out my book budget)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Picayune posted:

I've never read any of Charles Dickens's books and I feel like I ought to try some. Where's a good place to start?

To ping off everything above, the short answers to this are either

1) Christmas Carol if you haven't read it and haven't been overwhelmed with preconceptions from watching a thousand adaptations

2) the first third of David Copperfield is the best thing he ever wrote that doesn't have three ghosts in it

Everything else either isn't up to his best writing, or you're going to have accessibility issues because he was writing for a different type of reader than most people are today. He seems deceptively modern because he's not Austen but he's still centuries in the past and his stuff just doesn't always convey until you're familiar with it.

The first third of David Copperfield though . . Read until you meet Mr. Dick. If you don't like Dickens by then you never will, there's no point.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm 40% of the way through David Copperfield and it is unfortunately starting to flag in narrative intrigue and writing quality after a blazingly wonderful start.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Anyone have recommendations for British boarding school fiction that is NOT cozy. Anti-cozy, even. Hazing, bullying, nasty teachers, neglectful parents, etc.

Will also accept recommendations for memoirs/non-fiction on the same topic.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Jimbozig posted:

Anyone have recommendations for British boarding school fiction that is NOT cozy. Anti-cozy, even. Hazing, bullying, nasty teachers, neglectful parents, etc.

My one defining memory of Stalky & Co by Rudyard Kipling is that they shoot a cat and then play with its corpse. So maybe that?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

Roald Dahl's Boy

The Nigel Molesworth series by Geoffrey Willans and Ronald Searle

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Jimbozig posted:

The Scholomance, if you're fine with fantasy. I know, I know, that's pretty unlikely.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jimbozig posted:

Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones, for sure. It's also fantasy ofc.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jimbozig posted:

A Separate Peace might be slightly on the cozy side in general but I remember the "twist" really impacting me as a young teen and it overall is very uncozy just below the surface. I should revisit it at some point.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jimbozig posted:

I mean it’s gotta be Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, right?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Jimbozig posted:

Tom Brown's school days, but only as a prequel to Flashman.
To Serve Them All My Days by R.F. Delderfield. Delderfield seems to be a bit of a forgotten author, but I've really enjoyed reading my parents copies of his books.
Vintage Stuff, by Tom Sharpe

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I want to read stuff with the themes of impermanence and accepting change. I know it's an important concept in buddhism and I was exposed to it in the Tale of the Heike a long time ago:

Helen Craig McCullough's translation of The Tale of the Heike posted:

The sound of the Gion Shōja bells echoes the impermanence of all things; the color of the sāla flowers reveals the truth that the prosperous must decline. The proud do not endure, they are like a dream on a spring night; the mighty fall at last, they are as dust before the wind.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, except perhaps to solidify a vague feeling that I should become more comfortable with the idea that everything is transient, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Could be fiction that explores these themes or an accessible philosophical primer.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Chas McGill posted:

I want to read stuff with the themes of impermanence and accepting change. I know it's an important concept in buddhism and I was exposed to it in the Tale of the Heike a long time ago:

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, except perhaps to solidify a vague feeling that I should become more comfortable with the idea that everything is transient, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Could be fiction that explores these themes or an accessible philosophical primer.

read Stoner by John Williams

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yaffle posted:

Vintage Stuff, by Tom Sharpe

Does Sharpe's groan-worthy unwit not appear in that one?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
No, it's pretty bad and barely features a boarding school

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Thanks for all the Dickens recs (and un-recs as well, honestly)! I bounced off Pickwick Papers pretty hard, but I'll try David Copperfield next. And then I'll know that I tried and can go back to less Dickens-y books if I want to.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Thanks for the boarding school recs! I have put a hold on Never Let Me Go, since I liked Remains of the Day, and I'll check out the others after that.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Can anyone recommend historical fiction that updates the Fenian Cycle into modern language? Or at least is also set during that time period of medieval Irish banditry? I would also take a non-fiction book on the real-world inspirations for the Fenian Cycle. Triple points if any of these turn out to be on audiobook at the Los Angeles public library

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Historical fiction reminds me I read the flashman papers in college and those books are a goddamn delight.

I remember my dad telling me about Flashman as a kid and how to fell rear end-first into glory through every major event in history and he goes “he even wound up fighting in the Civil War” and like a dumb naive kid I walked right into it and asks “on which side” because it’s flashman so the answer is both.

I’m thinking about it they are probably Problematic as hell though because the books themselves are a kind of half parody of the British exoticism exploitation of their times

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

Historical fiction reminds me I read the flashman papers in college and those books are a goddamn delight.

I remember my dad telling me about Flashman as a kid and how to fell rear end-first into glory through every major event in history and he goes “he even wound up fighting in the Civil War” and like a dumb naive kid I walked right into it and asks “on which side” because it’s flashman so the answer is both.

I’m thinking about it they are probably Problematic as hell though because the books themselves are a kind of half parody of the British exoticism exploitation of their times

There's a read-through of them on these very forums: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894423. And yeah, they're kind of incredible and various types of problematic. Your memory has probably edited out how rapey Flashman was, for instance.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Something Else posted:

Can anyone recommend historical fiction that updates the Fenian Cycle into modern language? Or at least is also set during that time period of medieval Irish banditry? I would also take a non-fiction book on the real-world inspirations for the Fenian Cycle. Triple points if any of these turn out to be on audiobook at the Los Angeles public library

Lady Gregory's Gods and Fighting Men includes a bunch of Fenian Cycle stories, although it isn't exhaustive.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FPyat posted:

I'm 40% of the way through David Copperfield and it is unfortunately starting to flag in narrative intrigue and writing quality after a blazingly wonderful start.

Yeah it does that. What a start though! You've read the important part.

There are still good moments scattered through the rest of the book but it's like finding a mother lode at the start then picking up the scattered trails of loose ore after that. There's still gold in there but you have to sort through more to find it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah it does that. What a start though! You've read the important part.

There are still good moments scattered through the rest of the book but it's like finding a mother lode at the start then picking up the scattered trails of loose ore after that. There's still gold in there but you have to sort through more to find it.

Outside of his novellas this seems like Dickens's m.o.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
This is an extremely niche ask. I want to learn about the nitty gritty of agriculture. How do farms decide where and what to plant? What are you looking at in dirt? What things do you need to do to get soil in a good state? What problems do you try to get ahead of?

I have zero background on this so I'm hoping something that makes it kind of accessible. I have no idea if what I'm looking for exists.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

TheCog posted:

This is an extremely niche ask. I want to learn about the nitty gritty of agriculture. How do farms decide where and what to plant? What are you looking at in dirt? What things do you need to do to get soil in a good state? What problems do you try to get ahead of?

I have zero background on this so I'm hoping something that makes it kind of accessible. I have no idea if what I'm looking for exists.

My friend is a professor on this exact subject anr I see her Reading things along this line all the time, I'll ask her next time we hang out and report back

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheCog posted:

There are master gardeners manuals that cover this subject for horticulture, here’s Penn State’s. Very comprehensive deep dive into everything from assessing compost to how to prune a fruit tree.

I don’t know what would be inside an equivalent agriculture manual or textbook that’d be different other than discussing the various machines and chemicals necessary for mechanized agriculture. That’s interesting as hell on its own imo so I’m looking forward to what turns up.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I recently re-read The Stand, and holy poo poo, it's just so fuckin good. The first half is a classic and I love it to no end.

What's something similar? Not necessarily from King, but just something in that style, capturing the minds and dialogs of people, you know? I don't know how to describe what I really dig about King, but I think you guys might know what I'm trying to get at

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

More Stephen King maybe? The Dark Tower series does what you're looking for, as does IT (though that problematic scene...)

Other options:
The Count of Monte Cristo
A Song of Ice and Fire series
The Stormlight Archive series
Shogun

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Last Exit by Max Gladstone I feel has a pretty similar vibe to the stand

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

regulargonzalez posted:

Other options:
The Count of Monte Cristo
A Song of Ice and Fire series
Shogun
interesting shelf

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Opopanax posted:

Last Exit by Max Gladstone I feel has a pretty similar vibe to the stand

I'm really enjoying this one right now, it's got some claws in me.

regulargonzalez posted:

More Stephen King maybe? The Dark Tower series does what you're looking for, as does IT (though that
Shogun

I've read most of his output, and I should mention, I'm looking for horror. That's my jam.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Leave posted:

I've read most of his output, and I should mention, I'm looking for horror. That's my jam.

I'm not sure if it's horror per se but Cloud Cuckoo Land is probably worth a look

And one of my top 5 all time, Oryx & Crake, has a similar post-apocalyptic setting to The Stand. It has a very precise tone that I always describe as the bleakness beyond despair, how one would feel when all hope is lost but life keeps going on.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 10, 2024

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm not sure if it's horror per se but Cloud Cuckoo Land is probably worth a look

And one of my top 5 all time, Oryx & Crake, has a similar post-apocalyptic setting to The Stand. It has a very precise tone that I always describe as the bleakness beyond despair, how one would feel when all hope is lost but life keeps going on.

Yeah if you’re going for that particular tone, Doggerland by Ben Smith is probably my favourite book about despair in the collapse.

It’s about a pair of maintenance workers on an offshore wind farm as things get worse from climate change. It could easily be happening during The Stand if The Stand was about global warming.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Looking for hard sci-fi where a prominent theme is making first contact with a non-humanoid species. Especially if a complex language needs to be deciphered, or if the aliens think strangely.

I enjoyed how it was handled in Pushing Ice, and I'd really like to read more. Any suggestions?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I need me some frontier stories, with an emphasis on authors like O. Henry and Willa Cather and the like. I just finished a western short story collection and loved it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

two fish posted:

Looking for hard sci-fi where a prominent theme is making first contact with a non-humanoid species. Especially if a complex language needs to be deciphered, or if the aliens think strangely.

I enjoyed how it was handled in Pushing Ice, and I'd really like to read more. Any suggestions?

Story of Your Life (Arrival) by Ted Chiang is the big one if you haven’t read it already. Embassytown is close, not exactly first contact but it’s the best book about alien language and language as meaning I’ve ever read

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

two fish posted:

Blindsight probably qualifies, for thinking strangely anyway.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Project Hail Mary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

two fish posted:

You might like the Foreigner series. They do the whole "aliens look like humans but _____" thing but flip it around by having the aliens think in a genuinely very different way from humans. Which really fucks the humans up because they keep subconsciously thinking they should be able to relate to the aliens normally but always eventually hit this brick wall