Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

el B posted:

More and more people are saying D2Y1 was the best thing to happen to this franchise.
Y1's sandbox was dogshit but come on, there were some fun quests and story. Exodus & Spark, Riptide, Six, Pyramidion, 1AU. Even Warmind had Will of the Thousands. It was good content if you just played it once and enjoyed it!

I think the problem is that there's a funamental split between the ARPG/MMO design space that wants players to run the same activity over and over for another pull of the RNG lever; and the design space that wants well crafted narratives that tell an epic story in an unfolding and progressing universe.

After 10 years it's painfully apparent that those two spaces are really not compatible, and nowhere is that more apparent than the DLC content drops. The bulk of the fanbase - at least on here and reddit - seem to just want to rush the endgame, and Bungie kind of encourages that mentality of blowing through the campaign by locking the new power set or endgame activities behind completion. But it's a long, linear campaign and power grind, especially the powerful / pinnacle prep to get ready for the raid.

Instead they've chosen this weird midground where new players do an intro campaign where they jump in and are explicity told they were created from dust and traveller cum 5 minutes ago, but also are the hero of the red war and a bunch of other stuff the seasonal team just assume you were there for. And still have to powergrind to get endgame ready.

I'm not saying Y1 was the best or that we need to retvrn to that exact experience or whatever, I'm just saying some of it was fun, and there are memories of that campaign that still occasionally pop into my head and then I feel a bit sad that they're just... not playable anymore.

I'd like to play bits of that campaign with the modern QoL improvements overlaid. I think that might be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

My YouTube feed keeps showing me these new D2 Year 1 videos with titles like “Look What They Took From You” and it’s always the most mind numbing patrol footage. All the comments are people saying how much they miss this poo poo and my eyes just glaze over.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Old School Destiny servers.

Hey, it worked for Jagex

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
What part of unfolding and progressing universe don’t people understand? We can’t play 1AU because the Warmind shot the Almighty out of the sky like two years ago!

I’m joking but it is interesting how cutting stuff out fits into a really hardcore “living universe” design.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
I can’t play 1AU but I can run Inverted Spire for the millionth time.

Content will always happen at a fixed point in time but removing it from the game especially while other events from the same era remain is just bad for the story and overall amount of available things to do.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
In a very real way Bungie got me playing the game for the first time on the strength of it's Red War campaign. In fairness, I was playing it sort of for free when the Forsaken launch gave away the Y1 campaigns and patrol spaces on purchase to draw interest so it's not like I had to compare it to some arbitrary sum of money. Still, it was still a very solid introduction to the setting, the characters, and really basic fundamental gameplay lessons about the effective interplay between guns and abilities in the Destiny sandbox.

I'm still around because I have live service brain problems enjoy the endgame content and have a well established account with a lot of guns and builds to play around with, but I can't confidently state that if I had never touched Destiny prior to this very day the current state of new light content would be enough to keep me around long enough to get to the more MMO style gameplay at the far end.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I played D2Y1 and it was awful, I can’t believe people have rose-tinted glasses for it. The rolls were terrible, there was like 0 content to do besides raid. I cannot believe anyone who enjoyed double primary.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lord Packinham posted:

I played D2Y1 and it was awful, I can’t believe people have rose-tinted glasses for it. The rolls were terrible, there was like 0 content to do besides raid. I cannot believe anyone who enjoyed double primary.
See this is what I mean. Saying there was 0 content when the discussion is about the removal of 2 full-length campaigns and 2 DLC campaigns (one of which was well recieved and the other was uhhh...) is a bit strange? And a good example of the weird schism the fanbase has always faced.

Some people want to blast straight through to the endgame / live service stuff. Some people want to play the campaign as if that's the 'main' game and what follows is an afterthought if you're still having fun. My contention is that Bungie are bad at resolving that tension, and the game is at its worst when one side is getting in the way of the other.

I agree 100% that year 1 ability regen and fixed rolls sucked, and will not be trying to defend those things. But that isn't what's being discussed. You could bring back the Red War missions into the current sandbox, have up-to date world drops, hell even update the enemy density. I still maintain that the missions themselves are good even if everything else was terrible.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Asides from the almighty and the very beginning, there are like zero missions that are cool. I guess people could miss great characters like the speaker or failsafe. Every campaign mission was just go to planet, kill stuff while they talk on comms, mission ends.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Cheap Trick posted:

Old School Destiny servers.

Hey, it worked for Jagex

Remaster D1 and bring it to PC. Much better old school experience than Year 1 of D2.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
The last few pages made me go check my DIM with "kills:0 not:exotic not:shaped" and I found 119 weapons that are for all purposes just taking up space. I'm thinking about going through them and seeing if there's any really fun ones, or maybe just sharding it all.

Is there any criteria ya'll use to pick stuff to keep just in case?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol remember in D2Y1 where the experience bar was a lie and Bungie was throttling XP by up to 95% to annoy users into buying silver for engrams? Good times good times.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

TurkeyFried posted:

It kinda depends on what I know is or isn't possible with builds and weapons I'm less familiar with. Like, for example, I don't really use shotguns or play melee-heavy builds right now, but I 'know' just from osmosis that One-Two Punch shotguns are pretty good for melee builds, so I'll keep one or two of those around just in case I want to give them a try at some point. The main challenge is realizing that oh, I have like eight of those and really don't need to keep all of them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

See this is what I mean. Saying there was 0 content when the discussion is about the removal of 2 full-length campaigns and 2 DLC campaigns (one of which was well recieved and the other was uhhh...) is a bit strange? And a good example of the weird schism the fanbase has always faced.

Some people want to blast straight through to the endgame / live service stuff. Some people want to play the campaign as if that's the 'main' game and what follows is an afterthought if you're still having fun. My contention is that Bungie are bad at resolving that tension, and the game is at its worst when one side is getting in the way of the other.

I agree 100% that year 1 ability regen and fixed rolls sucked, and will not be trying to defend those things. But that isn't what's being discussed. You could bring back the Red War missions into the current sandbox, have up-to date world drops, hell even update the enemy density. I still maintain that the missions themselves are good even if everything else was terrible.

My goon in Christ there is no tension there. The campaigns can be cool (uh well one out of six of them can be cool) but they’re not content for anyone who plays Destiny even five minutes beyond the campaign. No one is looking to run the story version of “Arms Dealer except you enter from the left this time” on a weekly basis.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

TurkeyFried posted:

For each element I’ll keep one of each type of weapon in the archetype I prefer or something that has that element’s unique elemental perk (incandescent, jolt shot, etc. ).

Beyond that it’s strictly whether or not I like a specific weapon/roll.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
destiny players should just admit if the old campaigns were still in there with irrelevant rewards literally no one would ever play them

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/destinythegame/status/1787890222211985618?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

dodgeblan posted:

destiny players should just admit if the old campaigns were still in there with irrelevant rewards literally no one would ever play them

I mean this is kinda on bungie though, if they updated the loot regularly in the campaigns or dungeons to keep up with power creep I would absolutely run pit of heresy (I would not run pit of heresy)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Pit is still worth a boss clear for the spiky armor drop imo, it does need a gun refresh bad though

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They just pulled a please play the game lever. All seasonal activities* will now award one red border daily from today until Final Shape.

* defiant battlegrounds, salvage/deep dives, savathun lairs/altwr, riven’s lair/coils. Exotic missions from each season also count

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is Zero Hour releasing today?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dodgeblan posted:

I would

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/destinythegame/status/1787890222211985618?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Literally six posts up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Zero Hour releasing today?

No, it's out on the 14th, although a lot of people including me thought it was today for some reason

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm sure that epilogue mission for the season will show up any day now

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm sure that epilogue mission for the season will show up any day now

Probably the last reset before TFS and it’ll probably be bugged to poo poo until that Friday

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They just pulled a please play the game lever. All seasonal activities* will now award one red border daily from today until Final Shape.
Oh word? I might have to do some of savathun's poo poo then, there's still a bunch of those I don't have craftable. Is that in the patch notes?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh word? I might have to do some of savathun's poo poo then, there's still a bunch of those I don't have craftable. Is that in the patch notes?

Pop-up at login

https://x.com/destinybulletn/status/1787894420794208487?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Orv
May 4, 2011
I assume it's one weapon per season per day and not per activity per season per day?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's a great move tho, like my friend recently got into the game (the New Light experience is actually really not that terrible it turns out) and grabbed the expansions minus Lightfall on the cheap sale, but not the seasons given how close it is to TFS.

But this way she wants to just gently caress around with some seasonal stuff and it's basically just extra content and missions for free, which is pretty dang good. We're running through the campaigns starting with Beyond Light, but doing some random seasonal stuff in between will be fun.

There is actually a *lot* of content in this game and it only kind of hit me again when she was presented with a massive swathe of options and had no idea where to start (luckily the game does guide you to Ikora and stuff). It's a LOT.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Orv posted:

I assume it's one weapon per season per day and not per activity per season per day?

I believe so yes. I also think they opened up the seasons for free as well. I was never able to play the Season of Defiance activity but was earlier

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hm, did a Salvage and didn't get a red border.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Completely misread that, nvm

Orv
May 4, 2011

Orv posted:

Hm, did a Salvage and didn't get a red border.

Looks like Deep red borders are not dropping, Defiance, Wish and Witch are working fine though. Inasmuch as that matters for anyone in here, I imagine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

syntaxfunction posted:

It's a great move tho, like my friend recently got into the game (the New Light experience is actually really not that terrible it turns out) and grabbed the expansions minus Lightfall on the cheap sale, but not the seasons given how close it is to TFS.

lol good news

https://x.com/tomfromtheweb/status/1788082843673153576

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah I was specifically referring to that being a great move :)

Orv
May 4, 2011
More like Sai Scrote-a aaahhhh ah ah

no really why does my Titan not have the Shadowkeep campaign done what happened here

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Honestly, Bungie should have just made the old expansions free, considering how close the Final Shape is.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I don’t get why they just don’t go the MMO route and just let you buy the newest expansion and add the rest on for free like every other MMO does. I don’t think telling people they have to buy all the other expansions is a winning move.