Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

EorayMel posted:

I think you did by virtue of merely considering to consort with the ignorant yokel locals of Fae Run, OP.

A teeth-ling, no less! Tch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I have to say this 10/10 game has a number of terribly designed encounters.

The one in the Moonrise Towers is an absolute clusterfuck of dogshit where you fight a ridiculous number of high hp, high level enemies with the only help coming from the embarrassingly bad Harpers and "0 AC" Jaheira that gets destroyed in 3 turns on Tactician. The hall is also way too tight for this fight and Harpers will often trap you into aoe with their nonsensical positioning

I get that the encounter is supposed to be challenging, but the odds are so stupidly against you it seems the only way to win this is to save scum the whole time (which I never do). I'm not even underleveled for it and the rest of Act 2 content has been easy to medium difficulty for me. That said I'm not powerplaying either because gently caress being a palylock or some dipshit multiclass like that forever.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can kill all the guards before you do the assault and literally just walk in.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Zodium posted:

you can kill all the guards before you do the assault and literally just walk in.

Tried it but the Harpers charge the front door while I do it, with Jaheira dying in seconds. It seemed wrong so I just rushed in instead.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

no, I mean you can do it before you even go to shadowfell. it can be the first thing you do in act 2 if you want.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

I haven't done it though. Does that mean the fight is next to impossible now?

Like why the gently caress my guys hit for 4 dmg with some poo poo +1 crossbows while we get bombarded by consecutive guardian spirits, hungers of hadar, mass fear and so on. Our best dude is a legendary panther druid that dies in 3 hits. Larian please.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Skill issue.

https://i.imgur.com/PZL3nvj.mp4

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

I can do that too but you cut the part where the lvl 9 archer rear end in a top hat, the cleric and the massive warrior come out of the front door and whoop your rear end

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I would simply kill them, as well.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kawabata posted:

Tried it but the Harpers charge the front door while I do it, with Jaheira dying in seconds. It seemed wrong so I just rushed in instead.

Talk to Jaheira before beginning the fight. You can get her to follow you instead, and she becomes a follow similar to Glut in the underdark or a summon.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Kawabata posted:

I haven't done it though. Does that mean the fight is next to impossible now?

Like why the gently caress my guys hit for 4 dmg with some poo poo +1 crossbows while we get bombarded by consecutive guardian spirits, hungers of hadar, mass fear and so on. Our best dude is a legendary panther druid that dies in 3 hits. Larian please.

Talk to Jahera and have her join you as a follower so she doesn't Leroy Jenkins into the fight.

Toss down Hunger of Hadar or another good crowd control spell. Do two if you can: Hunger of Hadar + sleet storm rules.

Stay back and let the enemy run through the spells to you.

Eldrich blast or battle master ranged push the snipers off the crossbeams.

Toss AOE spells/throwables too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There are encounters that gave me a hell of a time on various runs but weirdly that one was never among them. I always have someone (ideally a throwbarb) do a misty step up into the rafters to throw all the rear end in a top hat archers down on their buddies' heads. Continue throwing things at them on future turns. A throwbarb is again amazing for this cause you can keep knocking the annoying casters prone. Someone else drops a nasty AoE like Ice Storm or Hunger of Hadar in the middle of the room so those guys can't do poo poo. It's been 2 rounds and the fight is basically over.

Jaheira trying her level best to suicide is super annoying but if you do what BlazetheInferno said you can keep her alive pretty easily.

Now the Balthazar fight, gently caress that. I had to reload 10 times to beat it on tactician (I now know there are myriad ways to cheese it but I was trying to do it straight)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
One vacuum bulb and upcasted fireball will clear out most of that room.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Oh also if you don't care about seeing the cutscene you can surprise ranged attack from stealth which really makes the fight a joke cause you can do all that stuff before the enemy even gets to act lol

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Kawabata posted:

I have to say this 10/10 game has a number of terribly designed encounters.

The one in the Moonrise Towers is an absolute clusterfuck of dogshit where you fight a ridiculous number of high hp, high level enemies with the only help coming from the embarrassingly bad Harpers and "0 AC" Jaheira that gets destroyed in 3 turns on Tactician. The hall is also way too tight for this fight and Harpers will often trap you into aoe with their nonsensical positioning

I get that the encounter is supposed to be challenging, but the odds are so stupidly against you it seems the only way to win this is to save scum the whole time (which I never do). I'm not even underleveled for it and the rest of Act 2 content has been easy to medium difficulty for me. That said I'm not powerplaying either because gently caress being a palylock or some dipshit multiclass like that forever.

If you're like me, you have a giant pile of scrolls sitting around, and that fight was a really, really good time to break them out. The enemies are grouped up enough that Black Tentacles or Ice Storm or Cloudkill spam will thin them out very quick, and it's probably a good idea to have someone Misty Step onto the rafters to kill the archers and provide fire support from relative safety, maybe with a feather fall active just in case something knocks them down.

And yeah, get Jaheira to follow you; the other friendly NPCs are very dumb and some will die, but as far as I can tell that's just gonna happen no matter what you do. If nothing else, try to set up a ground effect or AOE by that inner doorway, so that the second wave of actual dangerous baddies doesn't come into play while you're still fighting the first group. An acolyte throwing a Hunger of Hadar into the middle of your party while you're still fighting other guys is probably the fastest way to lose the whole battle.

ps: did you know that random unmarked rows of books sometimes have scrolls in them, including fun things like Cloudkill, Dominate Person, and the Fire Wall thing I forgot the name of? "Cursed to put my hands on everything" indeed.

pps: oh yeah, use your elixirs too. It's probably the toughest fight in the game up to that point, and a very good time to get out the big one-use items.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 7, 2024

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Docjowles posted:

Now the Balthazar fight, gently caress that. I had to reload 10 times to beat it on tactician (I now know there are myriad ways to cheese it but I was trying to do it straight)

It’s hardly cheese to let the great barrel people avenge the many wrongs that Balthazar inflicted upon them in days of yore.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Are you telling me that I missed a chance for my PC's race to be "barrel"? :smith:

EDIT: Elrond Half-barrel

EDIT 2: Cask Cooper, Beer Paladin

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 7, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

really need a mod that turns me into a wheel of cheese for next run

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Take the 10 years as a goat origin and become the maker of cheese

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Talk to Jahera and have her join you as a follower so she doesn't Leroy Jenkins into the fight.

Talked to Jaheira, told her i didn't want her to join me at that moment, now she only says "for alaundo" or some poo poo and charges in. I can cheese this with multiple ice storms, etc but the hardest thing in this fight now seems to be to have Jaheira survive. It's crazy hard on tactician.

She jumps over my whole party to charge 20 loving enemies at the same time, cant even body block her.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Do you have a recent save you can reload and ask her to join? Cause yeah she is a total maniac left to her own devices unfortunately. I guess you could like spam sanctuary on her lol.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
For that fight on my Honour Mode run I brought Wyll, Gale and Shadowheart alongside my Monk. My Monk charged in to take out high-value targets, Shadowheart used Spirit Guardians and moved to the bottom of the stairs to begin building radiant orb stacks on anything trying to rush the stairs then moved left to deal with the gnolls, Wyll used his Eldritch Blast to punt the archers off the rafters, and meanwhile Gale dropped some ice storms followed by a few fireball scrolls which melted the ice then began following up with more ice spells to refreeze the water and force more prone saving throws (which breaks concentration for the handful of casters in that fight too).

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
my only problem with that fight is my gnoll buddies showed up my first playthrough and never again despite always recruiting them

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

There are encounters that gave me a hell of a time on various runs but weirdly that one was never among them. I always have someone (ideally a throwbarb) do a misty step up into the rafters to throw all the rear end in a top hat archers down on their buddies' heads. Continue throwing things at them on future turns. A throwbarb is again amazing for this cause you can keep knocking the annoying casters prone. Someone else drops a nasty AoE like Ice Storm or Hunger of Hadar in the middle of the room so those guys can't do poo poo. It's been 2 rounds and the fight is basically over.

Jaheira trying her level best to suicide is super annoying but if you do what BlazetheInferno said you can keep her alive pretty easily.

Close the door and kill him in the Gauntlet. His cronies outside won't even hear you, and will be dead when you open the door after killing Big B. You can wipe out almost any big area this way, I found out while making my Honor run easier. Even those wandering psychic eye things will scream their head off and people a room away will be none the wiser. It's weird since that seems to be their sole purpose.

I had an odd encounter in Moonrise where one guard didn't care who I attacked - even him. He had 72 HP so I couldn't one-shot him, but he'd just keep taking hits and healing himself back up before I could get another shot in. Even in turn-based mode; he'd act as if he was still in real-time and heal between attacks. I systematically wiped out the entire tower, then came back, watched Jaheira and the Harpers storm an empty room, and then as I walked up the steps that immortal guard aggroed me. For a second I was worried he'd still be immortal and I'd have to run upstairs with him attacking me, but he finally died.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Aaand got Minthara without raiding the grove :toot: I was just thinking it was funny how most companions had dialogue about her joining except for Wyl and Karlach, since they leave if you raid the grove. But you can ask Minthara about your companions including those two.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

LifeLynx posted:

Close the door and kill him in the Gauntlet. His cronies outside won't even hear you, and will be dead when you open the door after killing Big B. You can wipe out almost any big area this way, I found out while making my Honor run easier. Even those wandering psychic eye things will scream their head off and people a room away will be none the wiser. It's weird since that seems to be their sole purpose.

You can kill his little skeleton buddies in the initial combat with the Sharran sentries. They won't turn hostile and you even get some HP for doing it!

Leal posted:

Aaand got Minthara without raiding the grove :toot: I was just thinking it was funny how most companions had dialogue about her joining except for Wyl and Karlach, since they leave if you raid the grove. But you can ask Minthara about your companions including those two.

Honestly the more times I go through this game the more I think all the idiots at the Grove deserve to die.

Well, maybe not Rath, but the rest of 'em can go gently caress themselves.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Is there a way to make it so you can't target your party members with attacks? My wife keeps throwing sausages at me.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I have to say, after two acts of mostly emptiness, Act Three is quite a big change-up, and maybe even a bit overwhelming. So many people to talk to, and I don't want to just follow the online map from point to point so I have to talk to almost all of them...incidentally, that need is why it's taken near 100 hours to get to the final act.

I'm not going to make a whole big post full of images right now, but I have to post these.

second best puppy in Faerûn

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/jellyfishstatic/status/1787799777209413758?t=2GqgQlKuV70sI0uYsdc1iQ&s=19

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
That is a pretty cool tail.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's cute.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

About time we had actual options for genitals in games.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Leal posted:

oh I didn't know you could get her without raiding the grove. I was planning on doing an evil run, but a quick google says it sucks so maybe I'll just do a less of a goodie two shoes run if I can still get the main thing I missed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Having abandoned the Underdark I headed back to the teahouse. I was considering fighting the redcaps first to keep them from being added to the Hag fight but the terrain was bad and they were so spread out that I decided to take my chances. When I initiated the first chat with Ethel I chose to avoid antagonizing her. I had my party follow her until she was at the farthest point from the doors in a little nook, so I could surround her and maybe buy myself a couple of turns before the redcaps joined the battle.

I started a chat and found that she was available for trade, so I bought an invisibility potion and all three giant strength pots. I had nothing that could silence, and nothing that could reveal invisibility so I let Hazel take the first swing, hoping to trip Ethel. She saved against it and switched to her Hag form and... did not drink an invisibility potion, because... I bought it?

The redcaps rushed into the teahouse but the party focused on the Hag. I'd intended to Hold her, but as a Hag she was now a monstrosity, so all of my humanoid dependent spells and scrolls were useless. I did make her fall down with laughter though and then the party began to curbstomp her. At this point the first redcap reached Gale and almost killed him, and the second struck my PC once, but that triggered their tadpole charm power, so now I had an ally.

I managed to kill her in the second round, and was surprised to see all the redcaps drop aggro and wander off. That was a relief, as was not having to deal with her turning invisible like the first time I tried this encounter. Now I will move on to the weirdness in her hidden grotto.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yes, you can buy or barter for items off NPCs and they will not have them available if they attack you later. This actually comes up in more than a couple places.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I started a chat and found that she was available for trade, so I bought an invisibility potion and all three giant strength pots. I had nothing that could silence, and nothing that could reveal invisibility so I let Hazel take the first swing, hoping to trip Ethel. She saved against it and switched to her Hag form and... did not drink an invisibility potion, because... I bought it?

I love this game so much. :allears:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

crepeface posted:

oh I didn't know you could get her without raiding the grove. I was planning on doing an evil run, but a quick google says it sucks so maybe I'll just do a less of a goodie two shoes run if I can still get the main thing I missed.

Yea, you just gotta knock her out at the Goblin hideout. The first time I did it, I looted her body, which ended up stripping her completely naked, and I felt bad since that never happens with any other enemy in the game, so I at least gave her her underwear back. Apparently, earlier versions of the game, when you'd see her next, she'd be completely naked if you looted all of her stuff. Now they just give her duplicates of all of her original inventory.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was wondering how I ended up with Minthara’s underwear! I don’t think I even noticed her during my kill spree

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Organic Lube User posted:

About time we had actual options for genitals in games.

i would trade my ability to choose my own hog for the ability to make my nose larger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

<casts Enlarge Schnozz>