Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

AtraMorS posted:

It's an athletic team that competes regionally rather than along state borders. It's useful in sports that don't have reliable high school sports programs but that have a demand at the college level (things like diving/swimming or volleyball). They got a foothold as a way for athletes to get playing time/practice outside of normal high school schedules--I had a friend on a travel team in high school back in the 90s--and are now kind of a pipeline for sports that don't draw big crowds. It's the kind of thing you do in addition to high school, not part of it.

Friends of our family have a daughter who’s in club water polo, and it sounds like a bottomless pit of drama, infighting, and stress. She claims to like it, but her parents are the “you’ve got to be doing something extracurricular” sort of people, so…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

DeeplyConcerned posted:

It is if you assume that murder suicides are normally distributed across time and space
The probability distribution of a murder suicide occurring in a specific places makes no difference in terms of the expected probability of one occurring a second time given that one occurred to a first time compared to one occurring for the first time if two events of murder suicide are uncorrelated, and based on the central limit you can still get a normal distribution of the frequencies in that case, which is what I assume you actually mean by murder suicides being normally distributed.

On the other hand, if you assume that probabilities of murder suicides in areas follow a normal distribution or something in a bayesian way, I think a past murder suicide suicide would be positively correlated with future murder suicide.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 8, 2024

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

This reminds me of the old joke about the guy who worried about someone bringing a bomb onto the plane, and solved his worry by always bringing a bomb himself since the odds of their being two bombs on a single plane were negligible.

"Yeah mate, I was a bit worried - I've heard that hitch-hiking is dangerous. But then I thought to myself: what are the chances of there being two serial killers in the same car?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mystes posted:

The probability distribution of a murder suicide occurring in a specific places makes no difference in terms of the expected probability of one occurring a second time given that one occurred to a first time compared to one occurring for the first time if two events of murder suicide are uncorrelated, and based on the central limit you can still get a normal distribution of the frequencies in that case, which is what I assume you actually mean by murder suicides being normally distributed.

On the other hand, if you assume that probabilities of murder suicides in areas follow a normal distribution or something in a bayesian way, I think a past murder suicide suicide would be positively correlated with future murder suicide.

At least it was a murder suicide and not just a murder. No chance of the deranged killer coming back!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

At least it was a murder suicide and not just a murder. No chance of the deranged killer coming back!
Yeah so I think the reasonable assumption would be that it wouldn't be any different than any other house in that area, which is why someone who doesn't believe in ghosts or something wouldn't think it merits mentioning.

If they had bought the house together and OP knew his wife would be freaked out by it I can see her being annoyed at him if he found out and didn't tell her, but he had already been living in that house for a while when they met with no harm coming to him so it just seems completely silly even for a superstitious person.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 8, 2024

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Good thing they didn't get married yet

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

litany of gulps posted:

With the charter school movement sweeping the more abhorrent parts of the country, this is actually becoming a thing that you do in place of high school rather than in addition to high school. There are publicly funded schools popping up that are basically built completely around a specialized athletics/sports program. The kids do a couple of hours of individualized computer-based learning on some online platform like EdGenuity, then work out for the rest of the day and practice their sport with their classmates, which are all part of the sports team. There are no teachers, just coaches or a coach.
That's a thing too. Basketball has been at it for a long time, and you can google "baseball academies" for additional second-to-third-world fun/horror. I was talking about more niche sports, but that necessarily means its been exploited to an exponential degree by the big sports.

(sports really can be fun. you can play them with your friends and enjoy yourselves.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

Good thing they didn't get married yet
Doesn't this mean that they got married?

quote:

Well, four years ago, I met the love of my life, Jennifer (31f). When I took her to my house for the first time, she fell in love with it, and we tied the knot last year.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Hughlander posted:

AITAH - My friend keeps on talking about my ex in front of my fiancée

Update - 23 days later

Final Update: AITAH - My friend keeps on talking about my Ex in front of my fiancée

quote:

I wrote a post two months ago regarding my best friend Jess constantly bringing up my ex when talking to my fiancée Yang. I wrote an update two weeks ago about my mom, sister and Jess scheming about trying to get me back with my ex Lisa because they were uncomfortable with Yang being Chinese. They tried to do it when my fiancée was visiting her parents and I felt so betrayed by their actions.

As I said in the previous post, I blew up on my mom and sister about what they said and immediately left. I did not take calls from them or answer texts for the next several days. Their messages initially were anger towards me on why I left before they could finish what they wanted to say. However, I think they realized on day 3 that they might have crossed the line this time and became extremely apologetic. I finally messaged them to leave me alone and not to contact Yang or I until we contact them. Jess did not message me the whole time.

I did not tell Yang about the situation until she came back home 9 days ago. I initially did not know how to bring up the subject, but she sensed something was wrong and asked me about it. I was so worried about hurting her, but I told her about what happened. I was upfront about the stunt Jess pulled and she was angry at Jess. I also told her about my visit to my mother's place, but she did not react with any anger. She just asked me if I was ok.

The next few days were confusing where I was more upset than Yang. She was just excited showing me all pictures and telling me stories. Finally, on last Thursday evening, she opened up and asked me if I was ok about my mom's behavior and what I plan to do. I told her my thoughts and how I cannot forgive them for what they said about her being Asian and them wanting me to marry a Lisa because she was white. I asked her why she was not more upset as it was bothering me.

She told me that when she told her parents about me, they had the exact same reaction for her dating someone who was not Chinese. Her family is very traditional, and her parents were very upset about her decision. It took them a few months to warm up to me and accept me. She never told me about this because she wanted me to have good relationship with her parents. She told me that now they are the most excited doing arrangements for our wedding.

She told me that she has always felt something was off when she talked to my mom, my sister or Jess and they did not like her. My mom and sister would be very friendly with her in front of me, but never invited her for anything when I am not around. She suspected that it may be due to fact that she is not white and does not understand the American traditions. She said she is not upset with them and now that this is in the open, she should talk to them and assure them that she would be as good of a wife as Lisa or any other girl. She said that she does not want to break a family in order to start a new one.

Despite my protests, Yang invited my mom and sister for lunch on Sunday. She said that it would be good for us to talk about everything and hear why they are concerned about her marrying me. I was really not happy with this, but Yang spent most of Sunday morning cooking for them.

When my mom and sister arrived, there were a lot of waterworks and apologies. My mom apologized to Yang and me for her behavior and told us that she would never bring it up again. My sister also was quiet and had tears in her eyes. There were a lot of blame games. My mom and my sister were blaming Jess for constantly telling them how Yang might not be great for me and how she won't fit into our family. My mom and sister fought with Jess after I left and Jess blamed Lisa. Based on Jess's story, Lisa has been depressed for the last few years and when I suddenly got engaged to Yang, it became worse. Jess thought I was also depressed after Lisa left me, because I did not date anyone for 3 years. In reality, I just wanted to focus on my work and studies and never had time. So, Lisa convinced Jess that she has to get back together with me as that is what I wanted too. Jess said how sorry she felt for Lisa as she was her longtime friend and listened to her plan as she thought it was good for everyone.

My mom and sister told us that I should stay away from Jess because she orchestrated the whole situation. They kept on hugging Yang and apologizing to her. Yang in turn also started crying and telling them that she will do better to fit in with them. It was all a big mess. I am still skeptical of my mom's change in heart, but I also want to see Yang happy. However, I think it will take a lot of time and healing before I could truly trust my mom and sister.

Currently, my mom invited us to lunch at her place next week and told me that Jess will not be there. Jess has still not message me or Yang. I really don't know what I can do in this situation. I am still upset and furious at my mom, but I also want to respect Yang's effort to keep the family together. Thanks to everyone for all the messages and supportive comments. It really helped reading them when I was feeling very sad.
I'm not crying, you're crying.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, this is the poo poo that I can't loving stand.

eh, if you are being scouted for D1 college sports then you are good enough to be part of a tiny fraction of high school students and giving up or limiting a lot of your social life is the tradeoff. this is a problem for a relatively small amount of kids, and a bunch of them are getting full or partial rides out of it

I knew a guy who didn't make the Olympics, but he was good enough that he got into the training program for potential Olympic athletes, and according to him a bunch of Olympic competitors are full-blown weirdos because you kind of have to be a super obsessive weirdo fully dedicated to the singular goal of being good at your sport to get to the Olympics. It's a similar thing, though not on the same level.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think sports are dumb but if the OP's kid is at that level I think it absolutely makes sense to do a little more to prioritize sports if it will result in college being free and not having college debt forever.

It's not like she appears to hate doing it or want to quit, either. It seems like she just incorrectly assumed there would not be any consequences for missing the tournament which was probably dumb when she's playing at that level.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITAH for kicking my (26F) boyfriend (31M) and his friends (27-34M) out after I overherd a conversation where they compared me to Tony Soprano?

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 2-3 years. We spend most of the time together, split between his and my apartment, mine is more convient for people to meet at as it's centrally located. I felt things were stable.

He has his friends over this past weekend at my apartment, we hosted a game night. Most of the guys, his friends, came with a few girls in tow.

All was well, most everybody had something to drink. I had one as don't particularly like alcohol. I was sitting on the deck with the girls and excused myself and went to my bathroom.

From there I could hear the guys talking (the walls are thin in my apartment anyways I wasn't trying to hear). Most of it was stupid stuff laughing, joking, and then I hear Mark, ask my boyfriend Ted, how we were getting along. Yeah of course I listened- thinking it was going to be cute.

Ted said we were fine and one of his other friends Jerry, said I was hot. Ted then proceeded to say "She is hot but she is like Tony Soprano" to which everyone laughed. "She is an animal lover, eats too much and demands respect, don't cross her"

Jerry chimed in with "but is she good in the sack?"

Ted said "So good I put up with the crazy!"

They said a whole bunch else, some of it just talk some of it down right degrading and I won't repeat. The line that crossed the line was when Ted, my wonderful boyfriend, decided to describe in detail how I give blow jobs and one of the asshat friends of his said "so is she Tony or one of the many whores he fucks?" And everybody thought it was just hilarious.

Here's where I may be the rear end in a top hat because I came through and said party is over- Ted immediately said "but why?" And I told him I heard everything- to which most of the friends looked at the floor and went pink. I told them to get the hell out.

I told everybody to leave. Ted stayed and begged and pleaded to which I said " I'm just following through like Tony would."

He has been calling non stop for 2 days. Saying he was drunk and that it was just talk. I said that drunk thoughts are honest thoughts and to go to hell.

My friends have been on my side except my best friend who said I am too intense and that what they were saying didn't matter, that I made too big of deal over it.

AITAH for kicking everybody out? I thought I was justified.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

artsy fartsy posted:

AITAH for kicking my (26F) boyfriend (31M) and his friends (27-34M) out after I overherd a conversation where they compared me to Tony Soprano?

Good way to out your best friend as someone else who can be cut free.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

artsy fartsy posted:

"She is an animal lover, eats too much and demands respect, don't cross her" he said, while actively disrespecting and crossing her.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

mystes posted:

Doesn't this mean that they got married?

I was a little too unclear in my irony there. The word wife is also in the title

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

artsy fartsy posted:

But does she hit the drippini?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Counterpoint: Proms are also highly overrated and sports girl wouldn't have missed anything by not attending it. It's all the "joy" of getting to spend all evening with the same gaggle of acne-faced students you already spent all day with except now there's lovely music, bottom-of-the-barrel refreshments and you're all wearing uncomfortable suits and dresses.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Counterpoint: Proms are also highly overrated and sports girl wouldn't have missed anything by not attending it. It's all the "joy" of getting to spend all evening with the same gaggle of acne-faced students you already spent all day with except now there's lovely music, bottom-of-the-barrel refreshments and you're all wearing uncomfortable suits and dresses.

Plus a non-zero chance of pig-blood-fueled pyrokinesis.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

wheatpuppy posted:

Plus a non-zero chance of pig-blood-fueled pyrokinesis.

:hmmyes:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That's a perk, not a demerit

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Skill issue. Standard prom in my hometown was go, eat, dance, and then go party at the hotel that had hot tubs. They started all that lame after-prom poo poo a few years after I graduated. But I had some loving awesome times at prom. It might suck now, but it’s probably a function of do you enjoy dancing and being dressed up fancy.

I did feel for the kids who went to my wife’s Mennonite high school. They weren’t allowed to dance at school functions so they had a banquet with no music, no dancing and definitely no getting drunk and high in hot tubs afterwards.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm not going to any dance unless Kevin Bacon is there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I hope r/electricians is fair game, because

Using my own fleshlight at work

quote:

So I'm in the middle of a pretty heated debate with the owner of my non-union shop about using my fleshlight at work. I drive my own KUV to work (bought it when I ran another unrelated business, moved to electrical cause felt like it was a better long term move)... it's my daily driver, he reimburses me for gas/wear and tear by giving me a considerably higher wage, and in return use my vehicle like a company vehicle. now before go any further, know what you're probably thinking already, and yes, I do it at work. He says it's potentially a crime but during lunch break like to go in the back cab of my KUV and crank one out. It's my time and my vehicle and have the back windows Blacked out completely with blackout curtains. He said he will fire me if he catches me again but the first time he just barged in the back looking for his iPad (I was using it and he said he needed to take it back to the shop to update it or something) so that time really wasn't my fault. But being for real did have the iPad hooked up to my speakers in the back so maybe he heard the video playing idk.. The 2nd time admittedly was at the supply house and they were taking forever and so said gently caress it, then boom, here's Joe Schmo putting 3 boxes of poo poo in the back of my van and was caught red handed.... he knows the owner and called him and now he's threatening to fire me. I don't think it's fair that he is trying to tell me what to do in my own vehicle, technically on my own time. Everyone at the shop keeps making jokes and honestly thought it was at least kind of normal but guess not. My first journeyman told me that if you don't do it at work at least once then you aren't a real electrician and he spent alot of time in the Porta potty.
What would you do? Should
shops provide fleshlights?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:shepicide:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Final Update: AITAH - My friend keeps on talking about my Ex in front of my fiancée

I'm not crying, you're crying.

The "our racism was entirely the result of a wicked third party playing evil mind tricks on us!" claim is a load of horseshit, but if they're going to keep their dumb opinions to themselves and Yang is satisfied with the state of things then it's about as good an outcome as you're going to get.

Won't be surprised by a follow up post five years from now when his relatives are saying racist poo poo about his kids.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

artsy fartsy posted:

She misheard, they were calling her Tony Pizza

Safety Dance posted:

At least he wasn't using someone else's, I guess

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

You could just loving not and save your wanking for when you're off the clock, you dumb motherfucker.

Cool Dad posted:

At least he wasn't using someone else's, I guess
I dimly recall a tale from one of the the Idiots In The Military threads about a bunch of dudes who shared one and that's how a third of the unit got chlamydia :shepface:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Men are disgusting animals.

If you're getting caught, you're not doing it right

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I dimly recall a tale from one of the the Idiots In The Military threads about a bunch of dudes who shared one and that's how a third of the unit got chlamydia :shepface:

Pretty sure there's an Anais Nin story about that.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Facebook Aunt posted:

"She is an animal lover, eats too much and demands respect, don't cross her" he said, while actively disrespecting and crossing her.

The fact that he believes that his girlfriend demanding respect is enough of a novelty to mention it as a major part of her personality tells you absolutely everything you need to know about this poo poo of a man.

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Counter-counter point: But I like dancing with my friends and every occasion that calls for getting dressed and doing so isn't the same kind of dressing up and universally involves alcohol or is so formal you can't be awkward and goofy. I went to a bunch of proms so I definitely got my money's worth on my two dresses (neither one was over 50bux because I rock at finding good stuff). My favorite of the two was cool as hell and had this purple-blue-green shifting fabric stuff.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm sorry she said no, bro.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

mystes posted:

What if the house has bad vibes?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you enjoy wearing pretty formal dresses and you're a teenager, prom is your only chance. Bridesmaid dresses do not count.

I'm overall with the mom, though. You knew the rules, you took the chance, now take the consequences without asking Mom or Dad to fix it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
American Proms seem to be their own thing, but graduation dances and whatever seem to be pretty fun if you can tolerate your classmates and like an excuse to dress up neat and dance. Being a teenager is like being a little bit drunk all the time anyway.

I'm guessing it's one of those things that's exponentially worse the more seriously it's taken.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Breetai posted:

The fact that he believes that his girlfriend demanding respect is enough of a novelty to mention it as a major part of her personality tells you absolutely everything you need to know about this poo poo of a man.

"She is an animal lover" was the one that got me first. This is a problem for you you can gtfo my life and stay out.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Urge To Kill...Rising...

AITA for flipping out on my MIL and husband for eating all the food before I had eaten?

quote:

Ever since I gave birth 4 months ago (so I have 4 kids total), my MIL has been showing up whenever she wants and when she's here, she always helps herself to whatever she wants. She has never offered to help me or the baby in any way, shape or form. She's basically here to see her son and that's it. Like, about 3 weeks ago I made a small pot of coffee (enough for 2 cups). I went to go nurse the baby while waiting and at some point my MIL shows up, let's herself inside. When I came out, she had drank the entire pot. I had no coffee grounds left. Or she's eaten my leftovers straight out of the fridge multiple times. And she's always like "thanks for the food/coffee!" As if I offered it to her when I absolutely didn't because all she's doing is making my life miserable. I told my husband to speak to her about it and he told me he did but I truly don't think so. I spoke up the last time she was here (3 weeks ago) and told her she needed to stop helping herself because she's eating and drinking stuff that I wanted and/or made for myself. She said "oh I'm sorry" and then stopped coming around for awhile.

Well, today I made 4 homemade pizzas. I told the kids to come help themselves to dinner and that I had to go get the baby down for a nap real quick and would be right back. Well, it took me like 45 minutes because the baby is fussy (she just had shots). I come back out and ALL the pizza was gone and my MIL and husband are sitting there chowing away. I just said "are you loving kidding me right now?" My husband asked what was going on and I said "you guys couldn't have even left me a loving slice? Sure, let's feed the loving neighborhood before I even get to eat. That's so awesome of you guys! Thanks!" And start to walk off. My oldest son (13) comes in and he's like "mum I left you out a plate. I put it right on the counter" and walks over to grab it and low and behold, that's gone too. MIL said "I thought it was leftover from dinner". So my son's apologizing to me even though he did nothing wrong but my MIL and husband just stand there? They literally aren't saying anything. So I looked at both of them and said "you both need to leave, now". My husband then decides to speak, saying that it was an "honest mistake" and that "no one meant any harm" and said I was making a mound out of a mole hill, which honestly just pissed me off further, so I snapped again and said "yeah except every time your loving mother comes here, I end up going without because she eats or drinks my portion of everything. But sure, let's defend someone taking food out of my mouth, shall we?" His mother just storms out of the house and my husband looks at me like I'm insane, so I say "quick, chase her" and walk out.

My husband thinks I'm "loving mental" and that this all could have been resolved if I had "acted like an adult". He won't come home. But at this point, I don't even want him to come home because it means his mother will stay away.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Hughlander posted:

Urge To Kill...Rising...

AITA for flipping out on my MIL and husband for eating all the food before I had eaten?

Both MIL and husband can get hosed. How are they not even accounting for wife/DIL in the equation when eating? Where did they think the food came from?

Sounds like son is a good egg trying to make up for lovely family members

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Keep the son, set fire to the husband and MiL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Chewbecca posted:

Sounds like son is a good egg trying to make up for lovely family members

I have a slightly different take

Son is a good egg coz he was raisedby his decent and polite mother. Not his arsehole dad or moochong granny.