Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Edit: Gamers rise up please about the eruptor

I have a limit of one topic to rise up about at a time and since release I've been stuck on Rapid Deployment System upgrade

They changed the text again recently (removed the numbers) but it is still non-functional. I have reported this bug so all I can hope is these text changes means someone is getting to it, eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Flamethrower my new best friend. Arc Thrower second place now when squad knows what’s up.
Arrowhead where is my fiberglass insulated suit :argh:

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Only problem I have with current railgun is that it fills the same niche as AMR but worse in every way. Unsafe mode should do a lot more damage, like Quasar level when near full charge.

yeah the risk/reward on unsafe mode is way off. No other gun kills you and destroys itself if you gently caress up using it, the reward for doing so should be massive. Make the safe charging window shorter if you have to balance it, but for such a heavy downside you should be getting a big benefit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Flamer and orbital gas are both great now. Loved actually being able to use the flame thrower without having basic bugs leap through the flames at me. Gas does go invisible after the initial green burst though, so that's not optimal. Might only have been on Heeth though.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Flamer and orbital gas are both great now. Loved actually being able to use the flame thrower without having basic bugs leap through the flames at me. Gas does go invisible after the initial green burst though, so that's not optimal. Might only have been on Heeth though.

yeah gas finally feels pretty good now. Last time I tried it before the DoT fix I was getting literally zero kills when I dropped it on a breach. Last night I managed to get a 35x on extract with a single gas strike. Definitely managed to kill myself walking into a cloud I thought had dissipated though.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Fun fact, orbital gas and orbital EMS have the same (very short) cooldown and EMS holds them in place for maximum gas damage. Those two stratagems can plug a bug breach on their own almost every time

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I said like 100 pages ago or so that AC felt like the benchmark for weapon balance and Sickle would too if it had its reload count cut. Wild to find out that the devs agreed, but I don’t know if thats a good or a bad thing.

I think they’re just struggling to get everything else to the same level of “very fun to use and strong without being the best at every task”. Tbf, that is an exceptionally hard thing to get right. Now that the DoT bug is fixed, flamethrower and breaker incin are feeling at if not a little above that standard. Taking stuns and flamethrower with medium grenade armor has made me an absolute menace to chargers.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

johnny park posted:

Fun fact, orbital gas and orbital EMS have the same (very short) cooldown and EMS holds them in place for maximum gas damage. Those two stratagems can plug a bug breach on their own almost every time

One bug breach* in exchange for half of your strategems?

Sign me up.

*offer not valid on bug breeches containing Bile Titan or Chargers.

After maining the AC for a long time, then trying other stuff and coming back to it on occasion I do have to say:

The autocannon probably needs it's handling and settling after firing made worse overall to be a little less point and click adventure at any range, and if anything deserves to not have a third person reticle it is the AC, not the AMR.

Right now you can make a build that can do about 2/3 of everything the autocannon does by using all your weapon slots plus a shield backpack and not loving up... It's not really a sustainable benchmark because it's contemporary stuff (railgun, laser cannon, AMR, HMG) are actually pretty well balanced vs. Each other and have different strengths and weaknesses.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 8, 2024

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

just played a brief match... did they make chargers stronger? i swore i hit one right in the crown of the head with an EAT and it did that slide and killed me :(

breaker incendiary is pretty good though. still kinda weak against the biles so you have to be a bit more careful

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Bottom Liner posted:

Only problem I have with current railgun is that it fills the same niche as AMR but worse in every way. Unsafe mode should do a lot more damage, like Quasar level when near full charge.
Fun fact: it does! Sort of.

Unsafe RG deals 600 normal and 120 durable damage.

Quasar deals 650 normal and 650 durable, like the EAT and RR.

The issue is that while the railgun can penetrate heavy armor almost everything that has heavy armor (and gunships, which is why it's so bad against them) is also durable (or mostly durable, if we go by the hypothesis it's a continuum and not a binary.)

I can understand why they're afraid of upping the durable damage and obsoleting the other heavies again, but I think there's some room there.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Gas is very strong, and my friend. Being able to shut down a bug breach with no survivors is fantastic as it really helps with situation management, just throw the one strat and you can now ignore that breach and get ahead on other targets. I've found this to be important in many matches so that you don't get stuck in the patrol-breach-patrol-breach loop.

As for the AC or Recoilless, the pro strategy is to have a shield pack on the gunner, as it will cover both them and the assistant and blocks things like flinching. A guard dog is also a good choice.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I know I say this over and over but I think the weapon balance is partly a symptom of enemy balance not being quite right on bugs. On bots tons of stuff feels viable, even if the AC is the best you're still perfectly fine going with a range of other stuff and not feeling like you're pigeonholed by what you need to deal with. Bugs emphasise heavy armour penetration a little bit too much. I think if they made bile titans have a few more reliable weak spots, it would free up more design space and make everything feel a bit more viable. Maybe if you pop their sacs they'd eventually bleed out, or being able to remove leg armour. I think reversing charger weak spots would be good too. Make it so that the optimal strategy is to matador dodge them and shoot the butt, which should be doable with most primaries.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
The players want to be bug/bot killing super soldiers, but from what I gather, that's more SEAF? Helldivers are meant to be meat for the grinder.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Apple Craft posted:

The players want to be bug/bot killing super soldiers, but from what I gather, that's more SEAF? Helldivers are meant to be meat for the grinder.

oh god no, the SEAF are those corpses you strewn around sometimes that aren't colonists. They're more meat than you with fewer weapons.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Lmao no, look at all the SEAF corpses

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I got a skill issue because now that the Eruptor is useless it feels like I'm basically locked into taking Laser Dog, Grenade Launcher, and EATs against bugs, and that sucks a lot

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah despite how disposable the Helldivers feel in play, in the lore they seem to be legitimately built up as the bug/bot-killing supersoldiers. I mean, it's hard to tell how much is meant to be propaganda vs fact but for example when you do evacuate missions the civilians are all hype about you like "Holy poo poo it's the Helldivers!!" And even though they feel individually disposable imagine what a goddamn nightmare threat they are to the enemies - 4 soldiers drop down and start carpet-bombing you with ultra-heavy munitions, wiping out a thousand of your troops in 20 minutes and then disappearing, and when you kill them they just get replaced immediately.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 8, 2024

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
SEAF are Imperial Guard, Helldivers are Space Marines (but really just slightly better armed SEAF).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Know what's really weird? The arc thrower and blitzer won't hit shriekers unless they're almost on top of you even though there's nothing else in the sky for them to be targeting.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

SEAF are Imperial Guard, Helldivers are Space Marines (but really just slightly better armed SEAF).

So when do we get to play as a Helldiver Terminator :unsmigghh:

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Sindai posted:

Know what's really weird? The arc thrower and blitzer won't hit shriekers unless they're almost on top of you even though there's nothing else in the sky for them to be targeting.

the current isn't strong enough to jump to ground

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I think buffing Railgun so it can maybe 3/4 hit bile titans with unsafe and it would be a good weapon again. Otherwise it's like a worse AMR or laser cannon. But if it can legitimately take out heavies it would be a normally worse weapon with a strong backup plan. I think right now it's a 3 shot against chargers and 8 shot against bile titans?

It's probably already ok against bots, but there's no incentive to switch off from auto cannon, laser cannon, or AMR there.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Cheap Shot posted:

I said like 100 pages ago or so that AC felt like the benchmark for weapon balance and Sickle would too if it had its reload count cut. Wild to find out that the devs agreed, but I don’t know if thats a good or a bad thing.

I think they’re just struggling to get everything else to the same level of “very fun to use and strong without being the best at every task”. Tbf, that is an exceptionally hard thing to get right. Now that the DoT bug is fixed, flamethrower and breaker incin are feeling at if not a little above that standard. Taking stuns and flamethrower with medium grenade armor has made me an absolute menace to chargers.

Along those balance lines, I feel like someone rolling with EATs, the autocannon, and Eagle airstrikes probably has all the tools they need to handle any threat on bug or bot worlds. Just briefly ditch the autocannon for an EAT when needed and pick the AC back up when you're done. That fourth stratagem slot and anything in-pod are personal preference.

I'd likely roll Sickle, Senator and EMP nades with what's listed above.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tom Tucker posted:

Backpacks are their own downside because they take up a slot that could be used bringing cool orbital strikes.

Unironically my opinion. I like the RR, Airburst, and SPEAR (when it works) because that leaves me with three slots for things that blow poo poo up, while also feeling fully equipped.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I propose everyone that wants a worse Auto Cannon gets the mk2 version with more barrel sway more reload time and it just plays the super earth anthem to spawn more patrols. They are not necessarily pathing to you. This is a win win.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Apple Craft posted:

Everyone is meat for the grinder, you're just told you're special and elite after 7 minutes of training.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Bugs in spores at night is :discourse:

https://i.imgur.com/zSJCCn0.mp4

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The AC is too good at everything in a way that's not as fun to wield, it's a bit dry and tensionless. It's part of what made me a Spear/Recoilless picker. Now those are guns.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Strong Sauce posted:

breaker incendiary is pretty good though. still kinda weak against the biles so you have to be a bit more careful

Good God the breaker feels wonderful, but by the end of tonight I'm back to using the Dominator. Medium armor penetration and squishy damage amplification is just way, way too important against the hordes of bile spewers the game feels like throwing at you in 7+

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I know I say this over and over but I think the weapon balance is partly a symptom of enemy balance not being quite right on bugs. On bots tons of stuff feels viable, even if the AC is the best you're still perfectly fine going with a range of other stuff and not feeling like you're pigeonholed by what you need to deal with. Bugs emphasise heavy armour penetration a little bit too much. I think if they made bile titans have a few more reliable weak spots, it would free up more design space and make everything feel a bit more viable. Maybe if you pop their sacs they'd eventually bleed out, or being able to remove leg armour. I think reversing charger weak spots would be good too. Make it so that the optimal strategy is to matador dodge them and shoot the butt, which should be doable with most primaries.

I actually like the emphasis on heavy AT for bugs, it makes them different to fight vs bots which are all about medium penetration weapons and flanking. Part of the reason the OG railgun got nerfed was that it was good against both.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
am I getting hosed by steam maintenance right now or are there new DC issues

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

LazyMaybe posted:

am I getting hosed by steam maintenance right now or are there new DC issues

Crash and DC issues, I had a bunch.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Reiley posted:

The AC is too good at everything in a way that's not as fun to wield, it's a bit dry and tensionless. It's part of what made me a Spear/Recoilless picker. Now those are guns.

I've been coming around to the recoilless on bug missions. The reload is really not that bad.

I do miss having a laser dog though when I use it, but an extra stratagem instead is nice.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

is the inability to reinforce only one person (only i can't reinforce) a new bug? or has that happened before

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Mesadoram posted:

I've been coming around to the recoilless on bug missions. The reload is really not that bad.

I do miss having a laser dog though when I use it, but an extra stratagem instead is nice.

Tradeoff in all things. The Quasar and Laser Rover removes ammo concerns and enables mobility at the cost of rate of fire. The recoilless gives you instant trigger response and a freed strat slot at the cost of standing still during reload and one less gun defending against swarms.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Strong Sauce posted:

is the inability to reinforce only one person (only i can't reinforce) a new bug? or has that happened before

It's an old bug. Pretty rare but it happens most often when servers or whatever voodoo happening in the back is making GBS threads the bed, like tonight

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Orbital Gas feels really good now. Serves the same kind of purpose as orbital air burst but trades off some killing power for a shorter cooldown. I think I still prefer airburst a bit more but attribute sone of that to not being used to gas’ shorter cooldown so I probably end up not getting as many uses out of the gas as I could. Definitely adding “gas mask armor perk” to the list of “cool resist armor perks I really hope the add to the game.”

Blitzer is really good now too. You can basically use it like a mini arc thrower and bounce between targets keeping them knocked back while doing chip damage to a big group. Being able to 1 shot brood commanders is cool and spewers/stalkers take a few shots but you can effectively stun lock them well enough to make it work. Someone earlier mentioned how ADS makes the spread tighter which makes sense and seems to match my experience. Going out of my way to take non-ADS shots when I want to hit close + grouped enemies worked well and smoothed over some of the initial awkwardness I felt with the weapon when fighting stuff like hunters right on top of you.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'd really love detailed breakdowns of kills and damage by weapon in the Stat screen. How many bugs were burned up by the Eagle

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Risky Bisquick posted:

You’re right. It’s niche is you might find it on the ground at a poi between EATs calldowns or when youre running to collect the gear that you dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the true advantage of the autocannon backpack isn't freeing up the strategem slot your shield would take up

it's not having to wear the shield, and therefore getting to experience the joys of shooting those mushroom spores to ragdoll you and launch you 30 feet in hopefully the direction you wanted to go. also gives you some fall damage which unlocks your stim for when you run out of stamina. the ultimate gofast upgrade