Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Voyager two partners all almost all bangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Literally Chakotay's actor trying to get fired with stupid demands and them being agreed to.

The irony is I bet the writers were perfectly happy to be given directives by the producers. "Oh, hey, thanks for the guaranteed-approved story concept, this oughta be quick and easy to bang out!" The late-series Voyager writing staff was notorious for wanting to just get out the door on time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It still cracks me up that someone on staff remembered that Joe Carey was a character, so right before the end of S7 they bring him back just to kill him off

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It still cracks me up that someone on staff remembered that Joe Carey was a character, so right before the end of S7 they bring him back just to kill him off

I'm trying to think of any other repeat (other than two-parters), named, characters that aren't the main cast, and aren't from a previous series (like Barclay and Q) and all I could come up with:

The aforementioned Lt.Carey
Vorick
Samantha Wildmann
Naomi Wildmann
Icheb
Suter
Seska
Probably a couple Kazon who's names I don't know, like the one who hooked up with Seska
Those two little poo poo aliens from Renaissance Man and Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy*
Captain Braxton (two different actors, but he counts)
Barclay's Boss (I THINK he's in at least one other Pathfinder-focused episode?)
Admiral Paris

So...like 7 of them were actually on Voyager and not adversaries or back in the Alpha Quadrant?

*I'm not even sure if they're the same poo poo aliens both times, or a different set the second time from the same species.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm trying to think of any other repeat (other than two-parters), named, characters that aren't the main cast, and aren't from a previous series (like Barclay and Q) and all I could come up with:

Do the Delaney sisters count? They got mentioned a lot but I think they only actually appeared once.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ayala!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Space Jam posted:

the cardassians must have a 24/7 video production studio where guls and legates tape pre-recorded messages accusing each other of betraying cardassia and their space station/outpost is about to explode

The Guls are all influencers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The irony is I bet the writers were perfectly happy to be given directives by the producers. "Oh, hey, thanks for the guaranteed-approved story concept, this oughta be quick and easy to bang out!" The late-series Voyager writing staff was notorious for wanting to just get out the door on time.

The series ending is literally There. They're home. We're done, lights out, PEACE. with no epilogue.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How will this crew who've been gone for 7 years and have never acted any differently than any other starship crew cope with reintegrating into regular federation society?

*blink*

They do and everything is fine, yay!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And then two decades later we got to see Voyager actually make it to Earth in a cartoon.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Was going to say Flotter but apparently he's only in one episode. Fairly sure mentioned in more though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Vorick
Samantha Wildmann
Naomi Wildmann
Icheb
Suter
Seska
Probably a couple Kazon who's names I don't know, like the one who hooked up with Seska
Those two little poo poo aliens from Renaissance Man and Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy*
Admiral Paris

So...like 7 of them were actually on Voyager and not adversaries or back in the Alpha Quadrant?

*I'm not even sure if they're the same poo poo aliens both times, or a different set the second time from the same species.
Maje Culluh is the main Kazon antagonist who shows up

Yes Barclay's boss is in a couple of episodes

Don't forget the other Borg kids are in a couple of episodes before they get sent away

Early on there's also Dr. Danara Pel, the Vidiian scientist that The Doctor has a thing with

I also just remembered Michael Jonas, who is the former Maquis crewmember who betrays Voyager to help Seska before he is killed by Neelix in a fight in engineering

also Chell, the Bolian who is part of Tuvok's group of misfits that he has to train in 'Learning Curve', and who makes a couple of small appearances after that

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 8, 2024

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FlamingLiberal posted:

killed by Neelix

An indignity no character deserves.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

They could probably just simulate them. But I prefer the pre-recorded idea just because it means they had to go through every possible scenario, like the SNL skit about pre-recording presidential death announcements.

"Attention Bajoran workers, your insurrection has failed. Release Constable Odo from the walk-in freezer or I will be forced to take stronger measures."

I’m thinking more like Operation Righteous Cowboy Lightning

https://youtu.be/rUxzaQrOAOA?si=4rF73kxq-nP-nxSj

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The borg kids are hilariously bad writing-wise, as they get introduced in season 6, are barely used, and then are unceremoniously dumped at the start of season 7 in a clear admission of having no idea what to do with them. Save for retaining Borg Wesley.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The borg kids are hilariously bad writing-wise, as they get introduced in season 6, are barely used, and then are unceremoniously dumped at the start of season 7 in a clear admission of having no idea what to do with them. Save for retaining Borg Wesley.

We all know what happened to icheb. He's brutally cut apart and then mercy killed by seven.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

drilldo squirt posted:

We all know what happened to icheb. He's brutally cut apart and then mercy killed by seven.

Speaking of legacy characters brought on for non-main character roles in Picard, did any of them actually survive the season (or even episode) they showed up in?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right before Future Janeway came back in time to save the people she actually cared about, too!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's also beamed straight to Sickbay when he's shot, in a manner main characters have been revived and saved from before. But Joe? He's just left dead on the floor, no attempt at triage, because he's not important enough.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

edgeman83 posted:

Speaking of legacy characters brought on for non-main character roles in Picard, did any of them actually survive the season (or even episode) they showed up in?

Guinan is the only one I can think of.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Vorick
Samantha Wildmann
Naomi Wildmann
Icheb
Suter
Seska
Admiral Paris

There’s that Bajoran woman who was in Good Shepherd and reappeared in the Haunting of Deck 42069 or whatever it was.

Tal Celes, I remember her name now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Voyager's premise really set itself up to have few to no good recurring character.

I always wanted to see Voyager develop this little "min-federation" in the DQ with a dozen or more ships who all travel together. That way you could have recurring characters, and a few new recurring sets. Also a great way to explore ideas about the Federation.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
But instead, there’s Neelix’s ship—which appears, what, 6 times?—and the Delta Flyer, which they built (then rebuilt) themselves and is functionally equivalent to a runabout.

I’m also bummed they didn’t use the rear cabin of the runabouts on DS9, speaking of non-recurring characters.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

edgeman83 posted:

They didn't kill Tuvok.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I wonder why they called it the Delta Flyer instead of Flier

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I wonder why they called it the Delta Flyer instead of Flier

Cuz Tom loves old movies and named it after the Radio Flyer (?)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Given how the other show at the same time was "exploring ideas of the federation" i'm glad they didn't even try to do that with Voyager. DS9 is already far too close to the "but aktually what if good thing is bad!"

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I've always wondered about the weird rear end upturned Vulcan eyebrows thing, that are just slightly different than human eyebrows. Do the actors have to shave their real eyebrows to play vulcans? And probably Romulans too I don't remember.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've always wondered about the weird rear end upturned Vulcan eyebrows thing, that are just slightly different than human eyebrows. Do the actors have to shave their real eyebrows to play vulcans? And probably Romulans too I don't remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKL1q8ElaLo

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Unless you looked like Brezhnev it was probably just a simple makeup trick with net overlay.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

I was about to say, nah honey, oldest drag trick in the book - purple glue stick + concealer.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I want to see a reality show about Klingon drag queens. “You bitch! That top is without honor!”

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I want to see a reality show about Klingon drag queens. “You bitch! That top is without honor!”

You expect me to drink this blood wine out of a metal goblet like I'm some sort of filthy pa'taq?!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Powered Descent posted:

They didn't kill Tuvok.

Maybe I'm misremembering season 3, but wasn't it Changeling Tuvok?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

mycomancy posted:

You expect me to drink this blood wine out of a metal goblet like I'm some sort of filthy pa'taq?!

I think pa'taq has a sound about it that would make it work in real situations. Sure, it'd do better around some ST nerds but it just sounds insulting.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I think pa'taq has a sound about it that would make it work in real situations. Sure, it'd do better around some ST nerds but it just sounds insulting.

Mandatory Sensitivity Training after I call Susan from Accounts a pinkskin

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Ru'Pa'ul

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
If Shran runs into a black human does he just let it fly or does he hold back and feel all awkward and noticeably avoid calling the non-pink human by skin color?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Gutcruncher posted:

If Shran runs into a black human does he just let it fly or does he hold back and feel all awkward and noticeably avoid calling the non-pink human by skin color?

He called Mayweather a pinkskin once, didn't he?