Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Taxes are already too high. Go tax a resource at all.

I'm fine with the taxes being on resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

JBP posted:

Taxes are already too high. Go tax a resource at all.

Taxes on multimillionaires are def NOT too high.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Apparently the ALP are claiming their HECS reforms are cost of living relief, but as far as I can tell the rate you repay at a given level of income is unchanged so I'm not sure what difference it makes.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Regular Wario posted:

five guys called quint and the 5th one is the tallest

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

gay picnic defence posted:

Apparently the ALP are claiming their HECS reforms are cost of living relief, but as far as I can tell the rate you repay at a given level of income is unchanged so I'm not sure what difference it makes.

Really being hard on the ALP here, none of those politicians would’ve had to pay a HECS debt so they can’t be expected to know how this all works!!!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
no need to tax coal mining, just take away all of their handouts

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
A quarter of our coal mining is Japanese owned and they could pull the pin at any moment. It will die of its own volition so tax it now.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Regular Wario posted:

means test it on parents income, if your parents are rich you dont get the hecs debt cleared

Just coz your parents are rich doesn't mean your folks will give you money.

hooman posted:

^^ No means testing, just raise taxes.

If you're proper rich you don't have a HECS debt, your parents pay up front for a discount. This change is to ensure it's indexed at the lower of either CPI or WPI so you don't end up in a debt trap that you can not repay because your wages never grow enough.

Anything taking us towards free education or reducing the cost of education is good.

Go further, make it all free so anyone can go to university too.

Nah, the discount hasn't been a thing for a while now, but agree reducing the cost of education is a good thing.

There's heaps of people who either have a huge balance (e.g. junior doctors - yeah sure they might make the big bucks in 15 years, but for the time being they're not making any real inroads on their HECS), or their degree doesn't necessarily lead to roles with remuneration commensurate with the required educational attainment.

I think my main thing about this is its touted as a great thing, when it'd be better and possibly more cost effective to make uni degrees free, Whitlam-style.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

Just coz your parents are rich doesn't mean your folks will give you money.

Nah, the discount hasn't been a thing for a while now, but agree reducing the cost of education is a good thing.

There's heaps of people who either have a huge balance (e.g. junior doctors - yeah sure they might make the big bucks in 15 years, but for the time being they're not making any real inroads on their HECS), or their degree doesn't necessarily lead to roles with remuneration commensurate with the required educational attainment.

I think my main thing about this is its touted as a great thing, when it'd be better and possibly more cost effective to make uni degrees free, Whitlam-style.

The Labor Party: "Real change isn't possible."

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Look at this smug prick trying to import American culture war poo poo https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/not-marrickville-or-newtown-sydney-council-bans-same-sex-parenting-books-20240507-p5fpkr.html

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
How TF are you reading smh links

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
A number of those suburbs voted against gay marriage from memory. Its that weird time where hey, maybe the overly religious immigrants arent necessarily an ally of the left after all.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

https://12ft.io/

The better question is why TF are you reading smh links

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hooman posted:

If you're proper rich you don't have a HECS debt, your parents pay up front for a discount.

Yeah maybe if you're like North Shore never-have-to-worry-about-money rich. But there's a much larger number of people (like me) who come from working or middle class backgrounds who are nonetheless doing just fine, in part because of their university education, and I don't think I deserve for my perfectly manageable HECS debt to be prioritised over e.g. people struggling to survive on Jobkeeper.

froglet posted:

There's heaps of people who either have a huge balance (e.g. junior doctors - yeah sure they might make the big bucks in 15 years, but for the time being they're not making any real inroads on their HECS)

This doesn't automatically strike me as a problem that needs solving. You aren't expected to pay the debt off overnight, most people in most industries are not going to pay it off until their thirties, and a doctor is still going to be far better off than most Australians in the long run - entirely because of their university-derived occupation.

quote:

or their degree doesn't necessarily lead to roles with remuneration commensurate with the required educational attainment.

This is definitely the case in the gutted arts/media/journalism industry and part of the reason I suspect this discourse is so prominent in the media and on Twitter.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The HECS structure made more sense when it was first conceived because less people were getting degrees and the people who did get one were reasonably assured they could make really good money.

Now you've got a bunch of careers that require a university education but top out at <$100k unless you get into a management role, so you have people accruing more debt than the minimum repayments pay off each year and are effectively in debt for the rest of their lives.

Apparently they want to get more people through uni and into skilled professions but HECS as it currently stands I think pushes people away. I certainly regret going to uni, I'm on ok but not amazing money and will pay 6% more tax for the rest of my life than some rich prick whose parents paid for their course up front.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

NPR Journalizard posted:

How else do we know Peter Costello wants us to think ?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

with their peepers jezza

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

evilbastard posted:

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

How else do we know Peter Costello wants us to think ?

Because I am a stupid dumbarse, I always get Peter and Tim Costello mixed up.

I have to think "which brother is good, and which is a oval office?" And it usually takes me longer than it should to figure out who is who.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

NPR Journalizard posted:

https://12ft.io/

It’s good to stay in touch with what the far left are saying from time to time, although Bevan Shields can be a bit Trotskyite.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

Yeah maybe if you're like North Shore never-have-to-worry-about-money rich. But there's a much larger number of people (like me) who come from working or middle class backgrounds who are nonetheless doing just fine, in part because of their university education, and I don't think I deserve for my perfectly manageable HECS debt to be prioritised over e.g. people struggling to survive on Jobkeeper.

This doesn't automatically strike me as a problem that needs solving. You aren't expected to pay the debt off overnight, most people in most industries are not going to pay it off until their thirties, and a doctor is still going to be far better off than most Australians in the long run - entirely because of their university-derived occupation.

This is definitely the case in the gutted arts/media/journalism industry and part of the reason I suspect this discourse is so prominent in the media and on Twitter.

It's great that you are, I am too, but anecdotes aren't evidence and as soon as you start means testing this poo poo, you're going to start excluding people who actually need it but don't fall into your categories or you can tinker with the means tests to exclude needed people.

I don't care if some people who are fine get their debts cut, consider it an apology for a dogshit housing market, it's all going to be young people with these debts anyway, and if they aren't young, they need the cut even more.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Time for some dipshit councillors to be reminded that they are entirely a creature of state government.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Fwiw I dont really think homophobia is imported culture war bullshit. This councillor specifically seems like an Eric abetz brained moron but the imported stuff was always going to wind up regressing back to where conservatives were at in the early 90s

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

A US official has declined to explicitly guarantee Australia will have full control of the Aukus nuclear-powered submarines, saying he won’t get “into some of the minutiae of various questions that are out there”.

Are we paying billions for more no submarines for us?

Never have so many, paid so much, for so few submarines.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I find all this focus on control of the subs confusing. It's not like we aren't capable of operating a nuclear reactor due to some national deficiency of character. The Americans are very happy to let us play with their fancy toys. Bush the younger even offered Howard the F22, the plane that America won't sell to anyone.

There will probably be American nuclear naval engineers in charge for a bit until we build up a cadre ourselves, but it's just a bunch of hot rocks, not Pandora's box.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Apparently they want to get more people through uni and into skilled professions but HECS as it currently stands I think pushes people away. I certainly regret going to uni, I'm on ok but not amazing money and will pay 6% more tax for the rest of my life

If you are at the point where you're paying 6% in HECS repayments, then - aside from last year's abnormal 7.1% CPI - you're paying off it off faster than it grows. In fact you're paying off just under $6,000 a year. Unless you're very late in your working career and have only recently started earning that amount, I don't see how that debt could remain for the rest of your life.

hooman posted:

I don't care if some people who are fine get their debts cut, consider it an apology for a dogshit housing market

I think this is what bothers me. The people I know in their early 20s, whether they're uni gradates or not, are 100% only concerned about the insane cost of housing. That single issue blots out everything else, and the notion that the government nudging HECS indexation down one percentage point is doing anything worthwhile is farcical.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

Asked what aspects of the book in question were sexualised, he said parents had complained about the book being on the shelf, reiterating that “no form” of sexualisation should be accepted.

lmao yeah right oh gently caress off oval office

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Fwiw I dont really think homophobia is imported culture war bullshit. This councillor specifically seems like an Eric abetz brained moron but the imported stuff was always going to wind up regressing back to where conservatives were at in the early 90s

Yeah the underlying homophobia is endemic and has been for a long long time but the attempts at banning pro-LGBTQ+ books from public libraries bit is bandwagoning on the movement in the US, where they've expanded from organised efforts on banning those books in school libraries and have moved on to loving up public libraries

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the underlying homophobia is endemic and has been for a long long time but the attempts at banning pro-LGBTQ+ books from public libraries bit is bandwagoning on the movement in the US, where they've expanded from organised efforts on banning those books in school libraries and have moved on to loving up public libraries

If they're using America as a model then what needs to be heavily defended next is PTA meetings. There's been a huge push to get right wing cranks into them and make the entire thing about culture wars and protecting the children and it's doing considerable damage.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

I think this is what bothers me. The people I know in their early 20s, whether they're uni gradates or not, are 100% only concerned about the insane cost of housing. That single issue blots out everything else, and the notion that the government nudging HECS indexation down one percentage point is doing anything worthwhile is farcical.

I completely agree that housing is the absolute be all and end all problem, and that this isn't real cost of living relief, but this is slightly unfucking the currently fukt system and is a positive reform, even if it is not enough. I don't want to see means testing in this because it makes a good reform more lovely.

Obliterating all the landlordism is a much more positive reform but Albo is a coward.

EDIT: I had to have a shitfight with a friend of mine who had been radicalised by online "SCHOOLS ARE TRANSING KIDS" bullshit. Because cynical cunts intentionally conflate social transition with medical transition and then accuse schools who accept social transition without parental consent as schools doing medical transitions. Yeah man, that high school social studies teacher is doing some gender affirming surgery during recess and definitely not spending it crying in a toilet from burnout and stress.

hooman fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 8, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Megabound posted:

If they're using America as a model then what needs to be heavily defended next is PTA meetings. There's been a huge push to get right wing cranks into them and make the entire thing about culture wars and protecting the children and it's doing considerable damage.

This happens in a load of spheres rn.

Rob Schneider and the Trump actors took over a bunch of actor's guild locals because all the normal people quit. The entire gameplan is to make meetings such an unpalatable shitshow that normal people with things to do stop going.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Thankfully the stat government have said they're reviewing the councils funding.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Death to cranky old homophobes

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
e: nvm i'm writing to the ombudsman, wish me luck

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 8, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
we've tried before, the ombudsman wont do anything about jbp

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
For reasons that have been in the news last day or so, I need to move to a new Industry Super fund that is not apparently run by incompetent baboons.

Any suggestions? I can only move of course after the incompetent baboons have found the Google passkey I suspect they lost.

Assuming they didn't invest the entire fund in a cryptocoin.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Comstar posted:

For reasons that have been in the news last day or so, I need to move to a new Industry Super fund that is not apparently run by incompetent baboons.

Any suggestions? I can only move of course after the incompetent baboons have found the Google passkey I suspect they lost.

Check the insurance policy in your UniSuper account before you switch, depending on your age and health it might be hard to get the same level of coverage if you switch over to a new fund.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
are australiansuper run my incompetent baboons? they are who i moved to from anz and i havent had any issues with them

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Comstar posted:

drat what happened? I've missed this news.

Regular Wario posted:

are australiansuper run my incompetent baboons? they are who i moved to from anz and i havent had any issues with them

They're competent and competitive but the customer service is dogshit if you need anything from them

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Most insurance through super isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It’s never going to be as good as something properly tailored to your needs and fully underwritten but it’s usually better than nothing. UniSuper had one of the better ones last time I paid attention to such things.