Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Did a quick test run with the automodding traits since I was incredibly curious about those.

They're good. There's no trait for alloys or consumer goods, so a lot of your most important pops won't benefit from it. But it's still +10-15% basic resource production (depending on which ascension you took), along with +20% amenities and +10% to research and unity.

It's especially good for bio empires, since not only do their traits not require upkeep, they can actually stack Erudite and Intelligent this way, which normally can't be done. On the other hand, I'm not sure the cybernetic version is worth the upkeep, and trade builds suffer a bit because clerks get Charismatic instead of Thrifty.

Overall though, they're not bad at all and I'm really excited to see what mods can do with the new system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Jabarto posted:

Did a quick test run with the automodding traits since I was incredibly curious about those.

They're good. There's no trait for alloys or consumer goods, so a lot of your most important pops won't benefit from it. But it's still +10-15% basic resource production (depending on which ascension you took), along with +20% amenities and +10% to research and unity.

It's especially good for bio empires, since not only do their traits not require upkeep, they can actually stack Erudite and Intelligent this way, which normally can't be done. On the other hand, I'm not sure the cybernetic version is worth the upkeep, and trade builds suffer a bit because clerks get Charismatic instead of Thrifty.

Overall though, they're not bad at all and I'm really excited to see what mods can do with the new system.

Don't trade builds generally still want the trade pops in merchant/trader jobs anyway? With automodding, that pop is probably better off as a technician.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 8, 2024

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Deuce posted:

Don't trade builds generally still want the trade pops in merchant/trader jobs anyway? With automodding, that pop is probably better off as a technician.

You can't really mass enough merchants or traders to float your whole economy anymore, and clerks give a percentage bonus to trade output for their plant so you'd still want some anyway.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Black Griffon posted:

Is it still the case that First Contact, Astral Planes and Galactic Paragons kinda make the game worse? It's the only ones I'm missing.

First Contact and Paragons own?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Those are the only ones I don't own either because I've heard nothing but bad things. They also have negative Steam reviews if that means anything.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Got all three along with Season 08 today and have been playing tonight. Naturally, every time I install a new mod I use the UNE default empire to test out the new features.

Astral Planes doesn't feel like it adds much yet. Just seems to be a parallel archaeology system, crossed with the relic system, in that you spend a resource to gain an effect? Feels kind of confused and maybe something they'll streamline later on. Maybe.

Galactic Paragons is actually pretty cool, but what pisses me off is the constant clicking. I don't like having a lot of leaders and then constantly getting notifications to give them a new skill point. What I've learned is to just ignore it unless the leader is on my council. They definitely need to simplify it, perhaps using a specialization system where you tell it just once what kind of leader you want.

I haven't noticed anything from First Contact yet but the origins and the idea in general all looks flavorful. My empire ended up wedged between an isolationist fallen empire and a friendly corporation that ended up being my federation partner, so I don't have any pre-FTL guinea pigs.

So, I made the UNE go down the cybernetics path. The situation system for it feels a lot cooler than the old special project. I like having all of the different RP options to dictate how my empire proceeds with what is supposed to be a major leap. Everything feels mildly broken so far but I am excited to see where this goes.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Oh lord the astro mining bot civic is broken as hell with arc furnaces. an additional 150% mining to the whole system on a starbase? plus their base modifier

Who cares if my menial drones suck? I DON'T NEED ANY

oh I didn't read, they replace solar panels... BECAUSE THEY ARE SOLAR PANELS AS WELL

What the loving hell

Now put a cybrex mining hub on top. :getin:

Are the new modularity etc ascensions only for bio empires that turn synth, you can't take em if you start as a machine?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Are individualist machine empires the same thing as bio empires that went through synthetic ascension? Because of that's the case, that seems crazy good.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Axetrain posted:

Those are the only ones I don't own either because I've heard nothing but bad things. They also have negative Steam reviews if that means anything.

First Contact and Paragons are pretty wild.

I think people are just whining that pre-ftl nations are more than free planets now for the first. Being able to get more out of them is great imo.

Paragons is also pretty good imo. From what I understand Paradox nerfed the traits a lot a bit after the fact, but it still made leaders way cooler than they were before imo.

Astral Planes' biggest issue is the price tag and the fact that it constantly pokes you to use its stuff afaik. It's the only DLC I don't down myself yet.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I believe the release of paragons changed how the leader system works for the base game too and people mostly hated that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Looks like they're doing the usual sales on all the older DLC along with the new stuff, though that's after raising the prices. That said, that they keep adding new content to old DLCs is a neat trick.

Baronjutter posted:

To celebrate the new DLC I'm going to get really wild with empire creation.

Kinda funny how a little change can make that feel mixed up, I swear going Under One Rule Materialist isn't meant to be that much of a 40k riff but it does suit the flavour I was going for anyway.

Also having human militaristic authoritarian Void Dwellers, that I happened to call the Principality of Zeo.

Also on that note, I forget exactly how it works, but been amused that Academic Privilege seems to satisfy both the authoritarians who like a stratified society and the egalitarians and xenophiles who like more equal ones. I suppose the illusion of meritocracy does have its cake and eat it too. That and if you're playing Materialist you're expected to be building robots to do all the grunt work anyway. Even the Rogue Servitors probably approve of that.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Looks like they're doing the usual sales on all the older DLC along with the new stuff, though that's after raising the prices. That said, that they keep adding new content to old DLCs is a neat trick.

Kinda funny how a little change can make that feel mixed up, I swear going Under One Rule Materialist isn't meant to be that much of a 40k riff but it does suit the flavour I was going for anyway.

Also having human militaristic authoritarian Void Dwellers, that I happened to call the Principality of Zeo.

Also on that note, I forget exactly how it works, but been amused that Academic Privilege seems to satisfy both the authoritarians who like a stratified society and the egalitarians and xenophiles who like more equal ones. I suppose the illusion of meritocracy does have its cake and eat it too. That and if you're playing Materialist you're expected to be building robots to do all the grunt work anyway. Even the Rogue Servitors probably approve of that.

What do you mean it's not a 40k riff, it's 100% a 40k riff

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

two fish posted:

Galactic Paragons is actually pretty cool, but what pisses me off is the constant clicking. I don't like having a lot of leaders and then constantly getting notifications to give them a new skill point. What I've learned is to just ignore it unless the leader is on my council. They definitely need to simplify it, perhaps using a specialization system where you tell it just once what kind of leader you want.

Yeah it has the same issue as star bases funnily enough; it's a lot of clicking to get them configured, even though you generally only want 1 or 2 types, and there are objectively correct choices to be made, with many of the options being complete trash you'd never want to pick.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Avalerion posted:

Now put a cybrex mining hub on top. :getin:

Are the new modularity etc ascensions only for bio empires that turn synth, you can't take em if you start as a machine?
Modularity, virtual, and nanomachines son! are available for any machine empire.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Avalerion posted:

I believe the release of paragons changed how the leader system works for the base game too and people mostly hated that.
Yup. All the complaints are basically about how the new system played without paragons.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I did that thing where I started up and spent all my playtime making 3 new species and not actually 'playing' anything with them. Kinda not sure what kind of game I want my next one to be.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

When a major new DLC drops I usually delete all my custom empires, except a few favorites, and make a bunch of new ones.

I generally make 10-20 custom empires and aim for a wide spread of ethics. I prefer when they spawn over rando empires.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stellaris spin-off game where you make custom empires and watch them do stuff in the background while you're making the next custom empire, like a sci-fi space terrarium.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jack Trades posted:

Stellaris spin-off game where you make custom empires and watch them do stuff in the background while you're making the next custom empire, like a sci-fi space terrarium.

Would absolutely pay some money for this.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Paracausal posted:

I did that thing where I started up and spent all my playtime making 3 new species and not actually 'playing' anything with them. Kinda not sure what kind of game I want my next one to be.

This was me last night, too.

ConfusedUs posted:

When a major new DLC drops I usually delete all my custom empires, except a few favorites, and make a bunch of new ones.

I generally make 10-20 custom empires and aim for a wide spread of ethics. I prefer when they spawn over rando empires.

And this will be me tonight.

Also, is there really no way to disable addons without just deleting the files? After the expac install my game kept crashing after loading 100%. Restarted computer, problem persisted; un- and re-installed the game, problem persisted. Finally reasoned that it was three addons I had, but there was no obvious way to disable or removed them? Googling the issue returned several different things to do, none of which were applicable to how the game interface currently works. I'm all good now, but am flabbergasted there's no "disable mod" option that I can find.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

binge crotching posted:

New start screen is amazing. Disappointed they haven't added shortcuts back in to be able to hit N for New Game, L for Load Game, etc.

(spoilered in case anyone doesn't want to see it)

They haven't understood that hotkeys are a thing in menus for a long time now.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

I usually play humans, say 60% of the time. But when I make a non-human empire that I really enjoy, they get added to the "pantheon" of forced empire spawns. I've got 16 empires like this now, and it's like having my own personal Star wars universe with familiar species and governments and it's interesting to see how they fare each time round. I've got 3 in particular that consistently do well in almost every game.

1) Amalgamator Hub <- driven assimilators that look a bit like the Geth
2) United Kingdom of Ruk <- Lithioid enlightened monarchy
3) Deep Republic <- basically the mon calimari democracy, but they look like squids

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I have a handful of always available empires too. Force spawned usually.

Grand Extrasolar Indemnity Co (GEICO). Thrifty gecko people mega corporation with media relations.

The Radishers! Devouring swarm, using the infected radish fungiod.

Make Everyone Cute Again. Adorable necrophage starfish fanatic purifiers.

Glubglubblubglub: rogue servitors with the floating octopus portrait. Way back in the day there was a mod that put a goldfish in their head. I just love that.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

Also, is there really no way to disable addons without just deleting the files? After the expac install my game kept crashing after loading 100%. Restarted computer, problem persisted; un- and re-installed the game, problem persisted. Finally reasoned that it was three addons I had, but there was no obvious way to disable or removed them? Googling the issue returned several different things to do, none of which were applicable to how the game interface currently works. I'm all good now, but am flabbergasted there's no "disable mod" option that I can find.

Configuring which mods you're using is in the launcher, under "Playsets".

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Dramicus posted:

But when I make a non-human empire that I really enjoy, they get added to the "pantheon" of forced empire spawns. I've got 16 empires like this now, and it's like having my own personal Star wars universe with familiar species and governments and it's interesting to see how they fare each time round. I've got 3 in particular that consistently do well in almost every game.

Yeah I have a pantheon of 'canon' species that I include in every game now.

Heliopora Reefsingers - Jellyfish Catalytic Converter Anglers in an Ocean Paradise, what if spaceships were flying coral reefs?
Vultynn Leagues - What if space dwarves lived on void dwelling space forges
Mycelial Confederation - What if deep underground, relentless industrial truffle people were consuming their planet
Valtess Directorate - Fragile Mechanist Snow Foxes using robots to do their heavy labour

I have another 14 with a chance to spawn but not fixed

Thinking of the individualist robits approach next game to add to the canon species list.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I deleted all my empires too, because it's been so long I don't have any attachments.

Well, all except for one (which I updated a bit to take advantage of new content):

And then I added another one to the roster:

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Why did I only just now discover that there's an "auto pick traits" checkbox in the Leaders pane?

That's such an obscure spot to stick it into.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
lol so as we've all collectively discovered the arc forge origin is just ridiculously, comically overpowered

it would be good enough if it only gave minerals. the fact it gives not just one alloy but TWO per deposit at the final tier is insane. I have +400 alloys/turn and it's only 2055!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there an easier way of siting your forges other than manually counting up the bodies in a system? They really need to give a yield preview or something.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Not having touched the game in over a year, I gotta say the new non-player and play Crisis options looks like they're worth the price of admission alone. It's especially cool that they do something with Fallen Empires.

I don't have fixed custom empires because the emergent ones always end up being great fun in their own way, and I've only completed games as either Earth or Earth After SHODAN Won.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 9, 2024

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like this new crisis because it gives a victory path for small/tall turtle empires. I've also been out of the game for a long while now and wrote it off because when I left it was in bad shape and the AI couldn't even play the game, but it seems in pretty ok shape these days.

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006
Waiting for mods to update before I dive in, but I like what I've heard especially around cosmogenesis. While it's mostly flavor it is cool that psionics and the toxic god at least get some extra story text if they achieve it. Cetana being a lot more reactive with different methods to handle it and the psionic approach to handle her show an impressive amount of interactivity. I really hope old crises get something of a glow up

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The Iron Rose posted:

lol so as we've all collectively discovered the arc forge origin is just ridiculously, comically overpowered

it would be good enough if it only gave minerals. the fact it gives not just one alloy but TWO per deposit at the final tier is insane. I have +400 alloys/turn and it's only 2055!

no, it gives you 4 alloys per deposit, it generates two and then gives you a +100% bonus. If you add astro mining drones and outfit your starbase for full mining thats another +150%, then cybrex for +150%... so 400% plus the base bonus of 50 from astro drones and tech gives you 50 so +500%, I think prosperity traditions are +20% more and then the mining drone stuff for some more... so you get up to absolutely STUPID amounts of alloys from each system with an arc forge, and if you choose at least decent systems for it (15+ possible deposits 20+ is optimal but super rare) it just adds up

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Having fun with my genesis guides game. Starts off kinda weak but once you can research Uplift you start rolling in influence and unity. I’m steamrolling through traditions like 50-60 years in.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Jack Trades posted:

Almost, but not quite: https://store.steampowered.com/app/808100/Galimulator/

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Did they end up nerfing science after all? I seem to be teching up so much slower, mega engineering is asking for like 400 months.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Are relays tied to some specific expansion? I keep seeing techs and stuff that reference them but I don't know what they are.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

two fish posted:

Why did I only just now discover that there's an "auto pick traits" checkbox in the Leaders pane?

That's such an obscure spot to stick it into.
Wait, what?!

Oh man, I had that game on in the background during work for a time. It's just something interesting about seeing empires rise and fall throughout the years. Could Observer Mode give the same vibes?

Baron von der Loon fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 9, 2024

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Clarste posted:

Are relays tied to some specific expansion? I keep seeing techs and stuff that reference them but I don't know what they are.
Yes. They're the solution you need to buy for the problem they added to the game. But at least it's not one of the many things the AI has access to even if you haven't bought the dlc. Oh and they're still behind the rng research so you might not unlock them until after gateways anyway. :shepface:
(Sorry but I can't remember which specific dlc has the relays)

Poil fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

overlord, apparently. i figured it would be the astral one given the "flash forge" astral power

bit annoying they need to be manually built though. shades of "victoria 1 china industrialisation" of hitting build railroad on every province...