Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The prequels were absolutely hated in the online discourse of the 2000s. Didn't stop them from being very successful and beloved by now.

I'm wondering whether that'll happen to the sequels. I liked the first two but Rise Of Skywalker is just so drat chaotic and as others have said, at times plain incoherent. It's legit hard to follow in my opinion because so many scenes felt distractingly nonsensical. I think you'd have to release a substantially different edit to make it work. (Luckily Star Wars already has a bunch of CGI actors so you can call them back to reshoot if you must)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t know. I’m going to guess probably not because the kids that watched them grew up in a time when Star Wars wasn’t the bestest franchise and they probably had the MCU as their go to thing.

It’s probably not a satisfying story all together even if I like two thirds of it.

Honestly I blame studio shake ups over not having a plan because even the original Star Wars didn’t have a super locked down plan besides the base points. Whcih even the ST had with Kylo Ren and Driver admitted the whole point of his character was seeing a weak villain become more evil as the films go. Which is what JJ told him.

The whole Ben thing was never in the cards

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i would like to clarify for the record that my preference for the prequels doesn't have much to do with the sequels being terrible or rose tinted glasses. i feel the exact same way about the prequels now as i did when i saw them: they're extremely flawed, but entertaining and enjoyable. two things i can't at say at all for the sequels. my rankings go as such:

OT > PT >>>>>>>>> ST

i can watch any of the first 6 movies if they happen to be airing on t.v. no sweat. but i legitimately never want to see any of the sequels ever again.

:lol: @ the comments:

quote:

Good thing she stood in the exact perfect spot and the debris didn’t move an inch in 30 years despite sitting in the middle of the ocean

quote:

Just remember, a movie with a budget of 275M dollars used a line such as: "Somehow, Palpatine returned."

quote:

Casual reminded that on top of it all the writers forgot that the dagger was made before the Death Star exploded...

quote:

>Death Star somehow still intact after exploding
>falls on Kef Bir which is nowhere near it
>stays afloat in the ocean for 30 years without moving
>meddling kids find a knife in the desert which is older than the Death Star
>they end up at the perfect angle and distance that the knife matches up with the debris
>they somehow find exactly where their macguffin is by doing this

I think it sounded better in JJ Abrams' head.

quote:

How awkward this would’ve been if she was right handed

quote:

Remember when this was leaked on Reddit and everyone dismissed it as fake because it was too ridiculous to be real? Good times.

quote:

Imagine if they were standing in the wrong place, at the wrong angle, at the wrong distance.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would watch the force awakens and the last Jedi’s main Blu ray menu over any of the prequels tbh

I was discussing them in cined and I forgot how tedious they are to talk about so they are extra worthless to me. Except in my brain when I can nostalgically remember the good times and keep it at that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the prequel trilogy also got a huge marketing push with things kids like like toys and video games and a cartoon. the sequel trilogy got disney infinity and a bunch of streaming shows about guys standing around talking.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and fortnite

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sequels got that one fortnite thing, and that cartoon. And a theme park. That’s actually it.

The toys didn’t really sell at all, mostly because the entire cast was made up of humans with the only non humans being legacy characters. So they were mega boring.

Disney pretty much ditched the sequels the moment they ended and haven’t looked back. So idk what their plan is. They want the entirety of star wars to exist in this place where they can make the PT and OT relevant at the same time.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Arc Hammer posted:

It has Basil Oregano played by Jimmy Smits! He's Princess Leia's non-biological father! He got blowed up on Alderaan!

IT BROKE NEW GROUND!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Endorph posted:

the prequel trilogy also got a huge marketing push with things kids like like toys and video games and a cartoon.

And Pizza Hut buffet danglers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DECIcAJNqRQ

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imo it was wild getting toys from Pizza Hut of all places

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

The toys didn’t really sell at all, mostly because the entire cast was made up of humans with the only non humans being legacy characters. So they were mega boring.
also the disney execs were for some reason terrified of making toys of the bad guys even though the classic disney villains are some of their biggest merch movers

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No they did make a ton of Kylo ren figures. He clogged the pegs with everyone else. The only villain that was hard to find initially was Phasma but after the movie people didn’t care about her lol

There really is only three main ST villains. Kylo, Hux and Snoke.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

There's a good video about this. The first 6 movies had alien designs that came from all sorts of inspirations, but the ST only has aliens that look "Star Wars-y". Also guess which Sequel alien gets the highest praise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu8N134f-DU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think one guy did most of them or his team so they all have that same look. A lot of JJ’s monsters have a similar look as well

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

The MSJ posted:

Also guess which Sequel alien gets the highest praise.

Slug Guy right? Has to be Slug Guy

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gnome de plume posted:

Slug Guy right? Has to be Slug Guy

I hope it's Babu Frik

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The MSJ posted:

There's a good video about this. The first 6 movies had alien designs that came from all sorts of inspirations, but the ST only has aliens that look "Star Wars-y". Also guess which Sequel alien gets the highest praise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu8N134f-DU
the sequel trilogy was also, i think, mildly embarrassed to be a star wars thing in some ways, or worried about 'fan backlash' or something. so all the aliens are vague grey lumps that dont do anything.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
If nothing else, I hate the Star Wars sequels for giving aggrieved nerds something new to whine about for the next 20 loving years. Had enough of that with the prequels thank you very much.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah the sequels were very afraid of backlash. They tried anytbing they could to win back the prequel haters

Fuckin JJ had the audacity to have the opening line in TFA be “this will begin to make things right”

That’s why I liked the last Jedi more. Rian brought prequel poo poo right up and didn’t shy away from it. Basically summed up the point of those movies which was “the Jedi were too blind and complacent to realize they were being manipulated by the most evil man ever”

JJ also embarrassingly said he wish he put Jar Jar’s bones in the sand dunes or something.

I hate jar jar too but idk those comments are hella stupid to say in hindsight lol

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Karanas posted:

If nothing else, I hate the Star Wars sequels for giving aggrieved nerds something new to whine about for the next 20 loving years. Had enough of that with the prequels thank you very much.

Man, be happy the weirdos are busy hating Star wars. If they get bored they'll invade other hobbies.

CelticPredator posted:

That’s why I liked the last Jedi more. Rian brought prequel poo poo right up and didn’t shy away from it. Basically summed up the point of those movies which was “the Jedi were too blind and complacent to realize they were being manipulated by the most evil man ever”

TLJ rocked imo. I loved the spooky vibes around Rey exploring the dark side. The fight scene in the red throne room was so gorgeous. And that moment they cut the star destroyer in half. Plenty of really strong moments in that movie.

No idea what the plot was about. IIRC everyone complained about McGuffins and other cliches.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jar jar is less embarrassing than episode 9. like he sucks but conceptually 'comic relief alien sidekick who rises to the occasion in the third act' is a pretty standard and workable idea. 'somehow palpatine returned' is not workable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The MSJ posted:

There's a good video about this. The first 6 movies had alien designs that came from all sorts of inspirations, but the ST only has aliens that look "Star Wars-y".

This goes for the ships as well. Most of the designs were iterations on earlier things (some good, like Kylo Ren's shuttle, some bad like the TIEs and X-Wings) but the bombers in TLJ were the only thing that felt like they were inspired by the things that inspired Star Wars rather than just the earlier movies.

It gets a bit better if you look beyond the sequel trilogy to things like the U-Wing or the Razor Crest.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The problem with Disney Star Wars is they get bought by Disney at a time when Disney have the most IP ever but also in one of their least creative periods.

[palpatine_ironic.gif]

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Lord Stimperor posted:

Man, be happy the weirdos are busy hating Star wars. If they get bored they'll invade other hobbies.

TLJ rocked imo. I loved the spooky vibes around Rey exploring the dark side. The fight scene in the red throne room was so gorgeous. And that moment they cut the star destroyer in half. Plenty of really strong moments in that movie.

No idea what the plot was about. IIRC everyone complained about McGuffins and other cliches.

Its a bunch of neat ideas but also some very dumb ideas mired in a slow plot where nothing really happens except Snoke is now dead (And he was never important either).
And when I saw the ending I didnt even know how a third movie could resolve everything. Neither did anyone who made the sequels it appears.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jar jar imo doesn’t rise to the occasion. He still bumbles his way to killing some droids. I didn’t enjoy him when I saw the tpm rerelease

He was the worst part

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he also gives eternal power to space hitler

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CelticPredator posted:

Jar jar imo doesn’t rise to the occasion. He still bumbles his way to killing some droids. I didn’t enjoy him when I saw the tpm rerelease

He was the worst part

He rises to the occasion by providing the votes Palpatine needs to turn the Republic into the Empire. A++ fascism enabler, no notes.

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.

Endorph posted:

the prequel trilogy also got a huge marketing push with things kids like like toys and video games and a cartoon. the sequel trilogy got disney infinity and a bunch of streaming shows about guys standing around talking.

Never forget how late they were to making merch of The Child™

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fil5000 posted:

He rises to the occasion by providing the votes Palpatine needs to turn the Republic into the Empire. A++ fascism enabler, no notes.

I’m just talking Tpm. I don’t remember aotc very much

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rapid 99 posted:

Never forget how late they were to making merch of The Child™

It was absolutely baffling how slow they were on the uptake

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Endorph posted:

Even those streaming shows aren't about any of the stuff from the sequel movies, they're all about being their own direct follow ups to the OT, PT, or Clone Wars cartoon stuff. There was a Lego star wars movie with sequel characters but it's still all about them time travelling into the PT and OT movies lol.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Jar Jar is a Sith.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Runa posted:

It was absolutely baffling how slow they were on the uptake

At least it saved the first season and a half of the show before it went up its own rear end and became another extension of the Filoni-verse.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I love Rogue One the film created by people who didn't understand the exhaust port being hubristic oversight was important thematically.

I think the oldest I ever felt was standing behind a father and son waiting to get into Force Awakens and the dad talking about how his son dressed as Obi Wan as a kid (the son was probably in his early 20s) and it dawning on me he meant rattail Ewan McGregor not the true OG Obi Wan.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I was hoping that Luuke would make an appearance in the Disney canon

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Carcinisation but it's about internet threads and, well,

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Milo goes after Filip Zieba who does Graham Hancock's pseudoarchaeology but for the TikToks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqm6McJYbWE

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

Jar Jar is a Sith.

They're doing a Darth Jar Jar bit in a new Lego Star Wars special (with Ahmed Best playing him)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dawgstar posted:

Milo goes after Filip Zieba who does Graham Hancock's pseudoarchaeology but for the TikToks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqm6McJYbWE

This video had some great random moments emerging from what should have been no more than 10 minutes of "No you idiot, that's not real". And then a deep dive into some darker poo poo that I did not expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Milo mentions at one point that the process of debunking nonsensical conspiracy theories always takes a lot more time and effort than just spouting whatever random bullshit you found on the internet, therefore truth will always be at a disadvantage in our world of endless content creation.