Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The REAL Goobusters posted:

its funny how they promoted phil spencer 10 years ago and he's only made xbox and microsoft worse lol

This guy just keeps loving up every year, for the last 10 years. hosed up

Remember when this thread legitimately thought Phil was a great guy and a friend to gamers everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I remember when you didn’t post in this thread

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Must have been horrid

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

MechaSeinfeld posted:

What’s the purpose of cancelling gamepass in response to studio closures. Wouldn’t that just make more layoffs happen.

My game pass is always 'cancelled' so when it expires I can get another 3 months for only 27k rewards points (as opposed to 35k). ;)

Escobarbarian posted:

Remember when this thread legitimately thought Phil was a great guy and a friend to gamers everywhere

Yes but did you see him wear that Hexen shirt. :hawaaaafap:

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Scoss posted:

I don't think they are ever going to produce a megaton hit and apparently that is a fatal offense these days.

So when does Double Fine get closed?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Grey posted:

So when does Double Fine get closed?

:pray:

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

The Grey posted:

One the reasons I bought Xbox and gamepass was because of the promise of Microsoft having all these studios continually crank out fun games for it. It looks less and less likely that they will ever reach that vision.

People complain about Netflix cancelling their shows, but at least they keep coming out with new ones. Microsoft is cancelling stuff and we'll just end up with less games.

Again are you people unaware of Xbox’s track record over the last 10 years? At e3 2014 when Phil Spencer first took the job he tried to boost console sales by showing a series of flashy cgi trailers for Crackdown 3, Phantom Dust 2, Scalebound, etc.

Phil and his team then spent the next two years stringing people along before cancelling scalebound, phantom dust 2 was quietly cancelled like6 months into development after the announcement, and the crackdown Ms hyped up with the original creator and using “the power of the cloud” was never even in real development. After 6 years a new crackdown 3 by sumo digital was quickly poo poo out on a rushed schedule just as a Hail Mary to save face and have a holiday release.

This doesn’t even mention how Phil & co. Immediately ran Halo into the ground after bungle left not just with the games but rereleasing the novels with continuity errors and making weird licensing choices like whatever the gently caress that halo tv show is on paramount plus and the Ridley Scott thing. Master chief collection also announced at that same e3 was a released as a disaster.

This is also the same company that in a huff bought RARE to try and one up Nintendo and had no loving clue what to do with it except ruin it and take all the classic IPs down with it.

How anyone thought it was a good idea at Microsoft to let Phil acquire even MORE studios at insane prices to mismanage is beyond any sane persons comprehension.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I’m also mad about continuity in the halo novels

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Arkane Austin lost a lot of people in the wake of Redfall's development and release, and I've seen some vague, disconnected rumors floating around today that Tango had been bleeding staff for a while (Possibly in the wake of Mikami leaving? When big creatives leave studios, other people usually follow for one reason or another...). It all sucks, but my (uneducated, gross and probably at least partially wrong) assumption is that both studios may have suffered a fatal case of brain drain and couldn't get anything off the ground with the people left.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well let's hope the same happens to Xbox leadership.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

But all these Twitter people are gaming corporation experts, surely it’s the Xbox c-suites that are wrong.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You're right. Microsoft is doing a great job.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I have lots of great games to play, so yeah id say so.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I think it was said that Outer Worlds sold 5 million before Obsidian was acquired by Microsoft. That's not an earthshattering but I think it's a lot more than what Prey or Hellblade did.

Obsidian becoming the Outer Worlds studio would be depressing in a different way and I really doubt we're going to get anything like Pentiment ever again.
They were able to work on Pentiment while also working on Avowed and TOW2

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

slave to my cravings posted:

I’m also mad about continuity in the halo novels

This

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

FlamingLiberal posted:

They were able to work on Pentiment while also working on Avowed and TOW2

You forgot about Grounded
/

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

The Kins posted:

Arkane Austin lost a lot of people in the wake of Redfall's development and release, and I've seen some vague, disconnected rumors floating around today that Tango had been bleeding staff for a while (Possibly in the wake of Mikami leaving? When big creatives leave studios, other people usually follow for one reason or another...). It all sucks, but my (uneducated, gross and probably at least partially wrong) assumption is that both studios may have suffered a fatal case of brain drain and couldn't get anything off the ground with the people left.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

As much as people want to blame Phil et al, they were probably already creatively gutted due to either poor management under Bethesda (with Arkane's Redfall death march), or key person/people deciding to do something else (the founder of Tango, Mikami, leaving presumably with other lead creatives following him out the door).

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Why not both?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
oh no is this the end of xbox and xbox games again?

NO NONONONONONONONONONON

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Timdog was right (eventually)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I think this bad thing shouldn’t have happened.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

priznat posted:

Timdog was right (eventually)

I Stand With Timdog

It’s about ethics in games development

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Xbox STAYS Winning - GamePass FTMFW - Trim the fat

oh no I won't ever see Redfall 2 :cry:

lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Microsoft closing Tango Gameworks exposes how Game Pass hit games really aren't that successful. Like how do you go to stealth dropping this critically and fan acclaimed game, and then a year later port it to the rival platform (ps5) only to then close the studio after 2ish months. This doesn't really add up at all.

This studio actually made video games and released them lol. Somehow they get the axe. poo poo is brutal

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
I’m sure their e3 presentation next month will make it all better

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Microsoft closing Tango Gameworks exposes how Game Pass hit games really aren't that successful. Like how do you go to stealth dropping this critically and fan acclaimed game, and then a year later port it to the rival platform (ps5) only to then close the studio after 2ish months. This doesn't really add up at all.

This studio actually made video games and released them lol. Somehow they get the axe. poo poo is brutal

That’s with a mega corp subsidizing poo poo off of cloud profit. Like, best cast scenario and it still didn’t work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

90sgamer posted:

I’m sure their e3 presentation next month will make it all better

"We've shut down Activision" he says walking off stage

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

What’s the purpose of cancelling gamepass in response to studio closures. Wouldn’t that just make more layoffs happen.

It's just another bunch of emotions and kneejerk reactions, everyone will have forgotten it by the June showcase.

Today the cat game should be out on game pass. And I'm excited about the changes they added to Starfield, coming May 15 to consoles. Time for a new playthrough.

I've also just started Norco, per the recommendations of this thread. It's a weird surreal, but also somehow cosy game. I am enjoying it. It's leaving game pass next week.

The Grey posted:

One the reasons I bought Xbox and gamepass was because of the promise of Microsoft having all these studios continually crank out fun games for it. It looks less and less likely that they will ever reach that vision.

People complain about Netflix cancelling their shows, but at least they keep coming out with new ones. Microsoft is cancelling stuff and we'll just end up with less games.

Xbox has closed more studios this year than they released games.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 8, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm not gonna play it but MS recognising that Redfall sold a pass for two more heroes and promising "make-good" on them, but the studio is done, I really want to know what bullshit they'll do to legally satisfy their obligations. Will it be a copy paste mish mash, or a literal reskin? loving lmao at anyone and everyone who pre-ordered the loving pass.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm not gonna play it but MS recognising that Redfall sold a pass for two more heroes and promising "make-good" on them, but the studio is done, I really want to know what bullshit they'll do to legally satisfy their obligations. Will it be a copy paste mish mash, or a literal reskin? loving lmao at anyone and everyone who pre-ordered the loving pass.
I'm assuming it means a partial refund, store credit, or some other game as a substitute.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

syntaxfunction posted:

Legally satisfy my gamer obligations.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 8, 2024

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Kins posted:

...or some other game as a substitute.

They don't have any games

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

Xbox has closed more studios this year than they released games.

See I can totally understand Microsoft hoovering up talent and IP and then mass reorganising studios, but the second part of the strategy has to be to use those studios to make games beyond what they were making when you bought them, and I just don't see any real evidence of that happening. There's two broad strategies that I can see Microsoft take assuming that right now it's happy to loss-lead a little to build its gaming ecosystem - either drop a few big AAA games and make them exclusives or part of game pass (ie. Starfield), or provide a big spread of things that subscribers wouldn't buy themselves but will play and enjoy if they appear on game pass (the Yakuza series, Hi-Fi Rush etc being prime examples). There's evidence of them acquiring stuff on the basis of both strategies, but I don't think there's any evidence yet of them following through and directing studios to make games on that strategy.

Like, if I were Phil what I would be doing is I would be touring those studios that just don't economically make sense to keep running as separate offices and saying to people "if you have an idea for a $3-5m game you can make in 2-3 years, I will write you a cheque and assign you office space and access to XGS's bank of artists and music composers etc right now". Everyone has a game idea. Just do that 20 times and start a conveyor belt of games that have indie creativity but look like they have much higher production values than they actually do. Some will flop, but some might be hits. But crucially they'll all be content.

And then what I'd do is be like Amazon/Google/FB etc and use game pass to hoover up data on gaming habits and feed that back into the AAA development workstreams.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
This poor guy had been chronicling every day since prey 2017 came out in the hopes that a Prey 2 was going to be announced at some point. This is his last post today:

https://x.com/Prey2Countdown/status/1787842764933038282

Does Microsoft realize the ways their business decisions impact real people? wheres the humanity??

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Oh thats coming to Game pass may 30

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

90sgamer posted:

This poor guy had been chronicling every day since prey 2017 came out in the hopes that a Prey 2 was going to be announced at some point. This is his last post today:

https://x.com/Prey2Countdown/status/1787842764933038282

Does Microsoft realize the ways their business decisions impact real people? wheres the humanity??

Their business decisions make shareholder numbers go up, which makes economy go up, which is good for real people, therefore axing thousands of jobs is good, actually

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

90sgamer posted:

This doesn’t even mention how Phil & co. Immediately ran Halo into the ground after bungle left not just with the games but rereleasing the novels with continuity errors and making weird licensing choices like whatever the gently caress that halo tv show is on paramount plus and the Ridley Scott thing.

Lmao

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Studios do close for reasons other than retribution for not making a big enough hit. I dunno what happened here but if the company fell apart after the founder left as is rumoured, it's not necessarily because Hi-Fi Rush failed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"We just had to shut down the studio, nobody wanted to work, everyone sad" yeah sounds believable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Another W for Xbox

W in upping Sony in bad decisions