Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mr morale had the streets (this thread) snoozin 😴

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
its not that surprising, even now people coming in to hear more Kendrick its go listen to good kid or drat or tpab or even section.80 but i dont think anyones said mr morale at all because well its Mr Morale

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

even drake only half listened to it

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I really like Mr. Morale but it's not something I'd recommend as an introduction to Kendrick.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Craptacular! posted:

I'm almost a little stunned, I was raised the least rap-aware person not in a religious covenant, and I knew about California Love. (Though I grew up in northern California, so that probably plays a role.)

Though the beat is simply an 80s soft rock number, Changes (presented here in it's more well-known 1998 remix after he died) is loving wild because it was written in 1992 and it's lyrical content is about as relevant as it ever could be. It's equal parts "was this guy Nostradamus" and "oh god there has been almost no progress in 30 years".

don't think i've ever heard california love's beat described as soft rock lol

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ultraklystron posted:

There can be no question this wasn't a long, long time coming.

what must have been infuriating for kendrick is a guy with as much publicly available dirt on him as Drake taking alternately sucking up to him for clout and feature requests or taking shots at him trying to bait him to battle. Like you know you can end him as soon as you bring up the little girls thing, and he's still trying to clown on you?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
ive been watching a lot of people listen to meet the grahams because reactions to this are hilarious every single time and one of my favorite stupid details is that he calls adonis a proud black man but repeatedly calls drake white

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

Changes is built around a sample of The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsey, which is what I presume they're talking about. That song is about as yacht rock as it gets.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

crepeface posted:

You still haven't.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

pablo gbscobar posted:

Changes is built around a sample of The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsey, which is what I presume they're talking about. That song is about as yacht rock as it gets.

oh, i misread it.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

Entorwellian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6G0CnBSWVk

Kinda want to try it out on my ti-83 plus

I think the 82/83 are more powerful than an NES, so I could see that beast making chiptune like music.

That’s loving dope though holy gently caress

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
hello, long-time lurker here (i haven't posted because do you really need another honky mumbling "aesop rock is pretty good" under his breath? probably not tbh)

Ultraklystron posted:

UMG is allegedly declaring Kendrick the winner behind the scenes:

https://twitter.com/oralcn/status/1787946145957752891

If true, that really cements the L for Drake. He's only alive because the music industry is basically 3 companies now. If they didn't have the same business parents, Kendrick would probably still be stomping on Drake's neck.
TMZ is claiming that this isn't true, citing an inside source who basically says UMG is just gonna stand back and let whatever happen while they count the money rolling in.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

greetings

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Craptacular! posted:

I'm almost a little stunned, I was raised the least rap-aware person not in a religious covenant, and I knew about California Love. (Though I grew up in northern California, so that probably plays a role.)

Though the beat is simply an 80s soft rock number, Changes (presented here in it's more well-known 1998 remix after he died) is loving wild because it was written in 1992 and it's lyrical content is about as relevant as it ever could be. It's equal parts "was this guy Nostradamus" and "oh god there has been almost no progress in 30 years".

Yeah California Love holds a special place in the heart of Californians. When I lived there I heard that track on every radio station: old people hip hop, young people hip hop, top 40, alternative rock, in between Marketplace bits on NPR. It is the Californian national anthem.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is where we find out that Kendrick has had a part time job on the side at the news studio writing prompter text since like 2015, all for this.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

leaptosleep posted:

I hope J Cole being in that beef for 5 minutes doesn't ruin the chances of the Kendrick collab album ever happening

As a day 1 j Cole hater, thank god

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

As a day 1 j Cole hater, thank god

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Mr morale had the streets (this thread) snoozin 😴

it's true. ive come around on it a little more but id say it's still kendricks weakest entry, barring early mixtapes

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mr Morale was just a lotta work is all. I didn't have that dog in me to sit down and have a notebook, the lyrics, and the Bible next to me when it released. Maybe this summer...?

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Not as iconic as Humble but the N95 video had some really cool visuals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI383uEwA6Q

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Stop playin with me before I turn your rear end into a song

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:rubby: hell yeah https://twitter.com/chartdata/status/1788151411638739208

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Kins posted:

hello, long-time lurker here (i haven't posted because do you really need another honky mumbling "aesop rock is pretty good" under his breath? probably not tbh)

TMZ is claiming that this isn't true, citing an inside source who basically says UMG is just gonna stand back and let whatever happen while they count the money rolling in.

Aside from just how dumb it would be for Kendrick to back down, putting out a public statement that anyone in the music industry is not a pedophile is the kind of thing that could easily come back to bite you in the rear end the next time a hit Netflix documentary drops in a few years.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
This whole beef has really made me re-visit Mr Morale and it hits so much harder now. Mother I Sober is such a loving vulnerable and incredible track displaying such a strength in human vulnerability, struggle and power.

And some dude heard that (maybe) and said "lol thats why you hate pedophiles"

gently caress off.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Kins posted:

I highly doubt that TMZ does not have a strong bias towards UMG.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Ever since it was revealed that TMZ cut Kanye praising the nazis in 2018 I haven’t believed a single thing they have reported.

With that said, the UMG thing so far has just been “trust me bro” on the sourcing from everywhere that i could see.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I like Mr Morale quite a bit when I'm actually listening to it but actually putting it on and getting in the mood for it feels like a chore. I don't really listen to downer music unless I'm feeling down or it's winter or something lol. Still has a few really good songs tho. Just nothing insanely playable like gkmc or drat

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

well why not posted:

he explained that there were a lot of jamaicans in toronto when he grew up, exposing him to their culture and accent. this is in no way appropriation.

this was the poo poo that made me so mad, heres some exclusive fuckin tea you wont get other places

i grew up around this idiot! hes 3 years older than me but was always around until he got to high school and, to be honest, was relatively decent compared to a lot of the other cohort in the forest hill area. however, he did NOT grow up around the jamaicans. jamaicatown is eglinton west, centered around eglinton/oakwood. i grew up down a couple blocks at vaughn/oakwood 5 points, which itself is 2 blocks from vaughn road academy. this is important later

drake started out at forest hill, which is the rich jewish part of toronto, theres a couple private schools some of those kids go to but there is also an overfunded public option, forest hill public school for daycare-grade 8 and forest hill collegiate institute for high school. he spent a cup of coffee in the latter before his poo poo with degrassi took off, and he got transferred over to vaughn road academy. why does this matter? because vra had 2 special course types, the international baccalaureate program and one everyone just called the "famous kid" track, where you didnt have to show up to the school at all and theyd still let you graduate as long as you were busy doing something else. like, say. acting in degrassi. im not saying he never went to school or didnt do schoolwork, he likely had on set tutors and poo poo, but ill tell you this: as someone that had a lot of friends that went to that school and grew up literally one block away on glenora avenue, i didnt see him around ONCE. not while he was "attending" and not after to check on friends or be a pedo or whatever. the man simply was not there. zero direct exposure to the culture or the people actually living there.

i know its obvious and blatant that hes a culture vulture and everyones always known it but hes always been like this. hes never been comfortable being himself. kendrick calling him on code switching in particular is a huge one. if you ever owned him in school, he was either black or jewish, whichever one made you get in more trouble.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
So are you the one who shot him when he was running away.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

well why not posted:

he explained that there were a lot of jamaicans in toronto when he grew up, exposing him to their culture and accent. this is in no way appropriation.

https://twitter.com/RadioMutant/status/1786021637516677329

he's not like us, and he's not like them either.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 8, 2024

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Paper Lion posted:

this was the poo poo that made me so mad, heres some exclusive fuckin tea you wont get other places

i grew up around this idiot! hes 3 years older than me but was always around until he got to high school and, to be honest, was relatively decent compared to a lot of the other cohort in the forest hill area. however, he did NOT grow up around the jamaicans. jamaicatown is eglinton west, centered around eglinton/oakwood. i grew up down a couple blocks at vaughn/oakwood 5 points, which itself is 2 blocks from vaughn road academy. this is important later

drake started out at forest hill, which is the rich jewish part of toronto, theres a couple private schools some of those kids go to but there is also an overfunded public option, forest hill public school for daycare-grade 8 and forest hill collegiate institute for high school. he spent a cup of coffee in the latter before his poo poo with degrassi took off, and he got transferred over to vaughn road academy. why does this matter? because vra had 2 special course types, the international baccalaureate program and one everyone just called the "famous kid" track, where you didnt have to show up to the school at all and theyd still let you graduate as long as you were busy doing something else. like, say. acting in degrassi. im not saying he never went to school or didnt do schoolwork, he likely had on set tutors and poo poo, but ill tell you this: as someone that had a lot of friends that went to that school and grew up literally one block away on glenora avenue, i didnt see him around ONCE. not while he was "attending" and not after to check on friends or be a pedo or whatever. the man simply was not there. zero direct exposure to the culture or the people actually living there.

i know its obvious and blatant that hes a culture vulture and everyones always known it but hes always been like this. hes never been comfortable being himself. kendrick calling him on code switching in particular is a huge one. if you ever owned him in school, he was either black or jewish, whichever one made you get in more trouble.

We need you to hop on the BBL Drizzy beat man. Hit the studio!!!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://x.com/johnnyflash__/status/1788186525781393643

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Oh my god YESSSS LMAOOOOO

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

leaptosleep posted:

I hope J Cole being in that beef for 5 minutes doesn't ruin the chances of the Kendrick collab album ever happening

better times.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okF5gOTX9uM

I've listened to this so many times

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
J Cole and Kendrick are likely cool

With them it's rap competition.

It's why Kendrick's camp gave Cole the heads the heads up to get away from Drake and get out of this. As this was something different.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

Did everyone miss this or is it fake for a very obvious reason I’m missing or what? Cause this looks real real bad

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

dangerburrd posted:

Did everyone miss this or is it fake for a very obvious reason I’m missing or what? Cause this looks real real bad

I didn’t miss it. But I dont know what else to really say about it at this point. Drake is a freak.

Also I will never, NEVER get over J Cole trying to say TPAB was boring. You could tell in his voice that he loves that album and been chasing that poo poo his entire career.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Paper Lion posted:

indignant, paragraphs-long responses to dumb comments posters had long since ignored genuinely provide the energy I come to this thread for so thank you

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

weekly font posted:

Drake: You used to call me on my self owns

oh mah gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

dodgeblan posted:

better times.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okF5gOTX9uM

I've listened to this so many times

Its crazy this poo poo is almost a decade old, I feel so loving old. Imo there was a window after TPAB that a Dot/Cole album would've happened (or poo poo, they made some tracks and never released them wouldn't be that surprising) and its over now. Especially after that sorry rear end 7 minute drill track. Cole wishes he could make something close to the level of TPAB