Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm definitely not a fan of having to pick the different tools. I understand what they're going for (resources are more plentiful in exchange for you having to commit to which type you want to be able to collect) but as others have said it just *feels* bad to see fish/ore/dig spots that you can't take advantage of because you don't have the proper tool equipped. Honestly the quick and dirty fix would just be to make it so that gather spots only spawn if you have the corresponding tool, which doesn't fix the underlying mechanical annoyances but at least you wouldn't feel like you're missing out on goodies every time you walked past a fishing spot you can't use.

idk it definitely feels like a thing that's gonna get tuned up as Supergiant absorbs feedback from EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I thought I had a shot at a clear with this throwing knife build, even with Eris' meddling. But I got too big pants and died to the optional boss in the 4th zone. This game is already too fun.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This game is magic, just like the first. Beautiful presentation and incredible content.

The first boss is still dunking on me but it’s still fun. I actually laughed at a … certain point.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I got all the way to the end with a Hephaestus/Apollo build for the torches

Beefed it on his second phase

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the second boss … amazing

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

well why not posted:

the second boss … amazing

yeah and thanks to an amazing combination of boons i got it the first time :cool:

the peace tablet or whatever gathering tool lets you get psyche sucks rear end though. they need to loosen up the timings on that QTE

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

susan b buffering posted:

yeah and thanks to an amazing combination of boons i got it the first time :cool:

the peace tablet or whatever gathering tool lets you get psyche sucks rear end though. they need to loosen up the timings on that QTE

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you may be overthinking it. You just hold down the prompt as it appears. It's very generous with timing, it's not a snap QTE.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i like the new metaprogression a lot more, it feels more purposeful than the first game's where you just kinda had to grind out currencies. this time a lot of it is more directly linked to progress through the game, given that many of the new resources are generally area-specific, so you need to have had a few runs make it to a certain area a few times or beaten a specific boss a few times in order to unlock things, and progression isn't as gated behind beating each boss with each weapon like it was in the first game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like the tool system too. It lets the resources flow at an average rate of ~one harvest per run without being in the situation where you need 10 silver for something but you're going whole runs without seeing any spawns. It helps that nothing is so rare that you see it and have to kick yourself for not bringing a tool - that resource is definitely going to show up next time you do bring the tool as long as you can make it through the zone.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

This game is rad. I've died to the final boss three times, never seeing past the first phase, and I've never had more fun getting my rear end handed to me.

Also, I'm not the only one who thinks Narcissus sounds like Nic Cage, right?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Hellioning posted:

You can just dash back and forth into the projectile. It's fast enough that your dash comes back before it can turn around and hit you. It goes away on it's own eventually.

You can also direct it towards your familiar and it will hit it instead, she has a cute speech line for that too

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you may be overthinking it. You just hold down the prompt as it appears. It's very generous with timing, it's not a snap QTE.

the ones where you have to let go seem unforgiving, but maybe i'm just releasing the wrong trigger first and not realizing it :v:

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Balache404 posted:

This game is rad. I've died to the final boss three times, never seeing past the first phase, and I've never had more fun getting my rear end handed to me.

I’m thinking Elvis, personally.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

ntan1 posted:

ok took me 18 attempts but got it using a ridiculously stacked flame build.

hestia seems like the best right now simply by the nature of it being a no frills no gently caress around here's a lot of steady, reliable damage. particularly for bosses.

only zeus compares and half of his is auto attacks, which why bother when you can attack so quickly

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Jack Trades posted:

The absolute worst part of the first game was you having to juggle half a dozen currencies, like it was some kind of MMO, and you having to frequently choose to sacrifice your run for the sake of getting more metaprogression that in turn gave you pure power for the next run. It's among the worst implementations I've seen in the genre.
There are tons more currencies and systems attached to them. There are basically now five different fishing rods and you can only take one with you and each one gets different currency (and you have to craft each of these new tools ofc).

The game also starts massively debuffing you if you make it too far into a run compared to the number of attempts you've done.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

No Wave posted:

The game also starts massively debuffing you if you make it too far into a run compared to the number of attempts you've done.

Is that what that is
That’s stupid lol

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

im not really sure if i'm a fan of getting a cool build with really neat charged attacks and then running into this:

Hellioning posted:

I have gotten to the final boss of area 4 and I think they are very rude.

In retrospect I should have expected the Titan of Time to not care about my slowdown but that does mean I am happy about it.

woops you're fuckin dead lmao. Poor choice made!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm really enjoying the game about 6 runs in but, not to dogpile on, but there were too many currencies in the first and now there's way more, it sucks

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Not really feeling the new resource game or the movement changes. Everything is a lot more polarizing with getting a tiny amount of good boons vs a mountain of trash ones, though hopefully that's just an EA thing that gets ironed out. That combined with invulnerability phases is pretty meh. The rest is all fine, just that everything on the gameplay front feels arbitrarily extended in a genre built on short runs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

RME posted:

Is that what that is
That’s stupid lol
Yeah hover over Erith's face in your boon window after she "blesses" you.

I mostly have written complaints in this thread but I think the game's really freaking good. There are a lot of very substantial changes, one of the bigger ones to to me is that hammers seem even more important now given that they seem to determine which out of attack or special you're leaning more into. Demeter seems so much stronger than everything though given how much more clunk there is in movesets (I like the clunk btw). A lot of the hammers flat out double your attack damage (double hit on staff, 300% final hit on daggers, BIG CHOP).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 8, 2024

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Assume I put a wall of text on how the strife curse is utter bullshit and horrible game design.

Hades/10 game otherwise, it's just FUCKDAMMIT it's so annoying.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Mailer posted:

Not really feeling the new resource game or the movement changes. Everything is a lot more polarizing with getting a tiny amount of good boons vs a mountain of trash ones, though hopefully that's just an EA thing that gets ironed out. That combined with invulnerability phases is pretty meh. The rest is all fine, just that everything on the gameplay front feels arbitrarily extended in a genre built on short runs.

This is how I'm feeling. Still enjoying it, but feels more grindy and the weapons feel underpowered.

I feel like getting through the second boss takes as long as a full run in Hades, and the grinding for the metagame is extremely slow.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My main substantive complaint is that if you have a build built around an omega ability (not uncommon) you spend half the game in slowdown. I think that's going to get very old very fast. I had a staff run where I felt like I was actually playing the game correctly and it was just constant channel -> slowdown over and over. I guess you're supposed to turn off the channel slowdown at some point because it's a noob crutch? But 1 is so cheap!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 8, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

My main substantive complaint is that if you have a build built around an omega ability (not uncommon) you spend half the game in slowdown. I think that's going to get very old very fast. I had a staff run where I felt like I was actually playing the game correctly and it was just constant channel -> slowdown over and over.

You can just turn off the arcana.

kaleedity posted:

im not really sure if i'm a fan of getting a cool build with really neat charged attacks and then running into this:

woops you're fuckin dead lmao. Poor choice made!

It really isn't. The boon is absurdly good for getting to the boss and it still works on the minions and such summoned by the boss. You also retain any of the benefits from upgrading it, such as the +30% attack/move speed. The first time I beat the boss it was with that particular hex because it charges insanely quick and trivializes everything in the fight that isn't the boss itself.

Like I get being frustrated it isn't an Instant I Win button but it's still extremely good especially since it lets you go into the boss with a ton of resources.

No Wave posted:

I guess you're supposed to turn off the channel slowdown at some point because it's a noob crutch? But 1 is so cheap!

1 is cheap but it also means that you're using 1 of your "1" slots on it instead of something else which can impact which 0-cost Arcana you're using. One (the Duo boon one) turns off if you use too many things that cost the same and another wants you to have all 5 cards in a row active and the time-slow arcana actually sucks for that because of the things it is in a row with.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 8, 2024

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Balache404 posted:

That is exactly how I described him to my wife, yes.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Recognized Amelia Taylor as Hectate, simply off the AUTHORITY of her voice

RME
Feb 20, 2012

No Wave posted:

Yeah hover over Erith's face in your boon window after she "blesses" you.

I mostly have written complaints in this thread but I think the game's really freaking good. There are a lot of very substantial changes, one of the bigger ones to to me is that hammers seem even more important now given that they seem to determine which out of attack or special you're leaning more into. Demeter seems so much stronger than everything though given how much more clunk there is in movesets (I like the clunk btw). A lot of the hammers flat out double your attack damage (double hit on staff, 300% final hit on daggers, BIG CHOP).

Nah I get what it does I meant the why she shows up thing

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

RME posted:

Nah I get what it does I meant the why she shows up thing

Yeah they showed up on my second run when I got into the second area, didn't show up on any subsequent runs though. When I got into the 3rd and 4th area on probably my 8th or 9th run, they showed up at the start of the 4th area, which felt like a pretty hard stop since I was encountering them for the first time and taking 40% more damage from them.

I assume it's so they can at least somewhat parcel out dialogue a bit, you don't get loads of 4th area dialogue before you've gotten at least some amount of 2nd and 3rd area dialogue, for example. You get the "I reached the place" stuff but are unlikely to get more.

Does feel a bit like a sledgehammer way of doing it, as opposed to a scalpel.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I finally managed to beat the final boss of the underworld route through the use of the Medea Aspect of Revaal with Aphrodite and Hephaestus boons for silly amounts of burst damage while running around the arena like a lunatic. I found the second phase easier than the first phase but maybe it’s cause I’ve naturally gotten better at the game as time has gone along.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

ziasquinn posted:

Recognized Amelia Taylor as Hectate, simply off the AUTHORITY of her voice

Was she the blacksmith in the Madalorian? Because her voice reminds me of it.
"Death to Chronos"
"This is the way"

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
not digging the animation lock when it comes to dodging tbh

I don't remember if hades the first had that

i also want more boons stop giving me like two a floor

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Balache404 posted:

immediately thought that as well.

one improvement i wish they had made is suspension. wasn't a problem on switch with built in suspension but on pc i am feeling the need for it.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't. The boon is absurdly good for getting to the boss and it still works on the minions and such summoned by the boss. You also retain any of the benefits from upgrading it, such as the +30% attack/move speed. The first time I beat the boss it was with that particular hex because it charges insanely quick and trivializes everything in the fight that isn't the boss itself.

Like I get being frustrated it isn't an Instant I Win button but it's still extremely good especially since it lets you go into the boss with a ton of resources.

which boon is that? I'm talking about the time slow charge card. It's a hex?

with the time slow charge card if your primary damage comes from base charge time moves you're right hosed unless you know his whole move set and phases

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

jimmydalad posted:

I found the second phase easier than the first phase but maybe it’s cause I’ve naturally gotten better at the game as time has gone along.

It’s not just you. The second phase moveset is considerably slower with more opportunities to just wail on the boss as he channels abilities, in exchange for those abilities being much more lethal if you don’t abide by the telegraphs. Once you learn the phase and internalize all the moves you’ll probably never die to them.

Phase 1 can be really rough if you aren’t playing very defensively. He gets big mad when his health drops low and it shows.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Are there any good builds based on the omega abilities? I generally ignore them, except for one time when I got the dagger backstab fairly OP.

Gamerofthegame posted:

not digging the animation lock when it comes to dodging tbh

I don't remember if hades the first had that

I'm finding there's a bit of extra movement with all the weapons based around dodging mid-combo. Most weapons with a big final attack let you dash just before it, and the torches have decent mobility while firing.

KidDynamite posted:

one improvement i wish they had made is suspension. wasn't a problem on switch with built in suspension but on pc i am feeling the need for it.

Yeah, given the length of the runs it is a bit of a commitment, and would rather not leave my PC running.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

fart barterer posted:

Are there any good builds based on the omega abilities? I generally ignore them, except for one time when I got the dagger backstab fairly OP.
They are ofc totally reliant on getting a lot of recharge. I think the staff's omega special is strong and spammable and hestia has a boon that adds a fireball to omega special without taking up the special buff slot.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Omega spin on the Axe with the Furious Whirlwind hammer absolutely carried me to my first visit to the first phase of boss 4.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

fart barterer posted:

Yeah, given the length of the runs it is a bit of a commitment, and would rather not leave my PC running.

You can quit mid run and continue after if that's what you're asking, game saves after every completed encounter.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Shabadu posted:

Omega spin on the Axe with the Furious Whirlwind hammer absolutely carried me to my first visit to the first phase of boss 4.

Omega spin plus aphrodite is completely insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

fart barterer posted:

There's an axe omega move daddy hammer that frees up your actions while the whirlwind is going off, so you can dash around and do other poo poo while doing full omega attack damage it owns