Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

In-universe, that's the equivalent of saying you wish Max Verstappen would murder a tramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ok

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

In order to make that happen you'd probably have to give an actual example of him being bastardly

Bigg Bastardly the evil podracer with his partner Buttly the Gyattoran from the planet Datass.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Jar Jar would wipe the floor with that runt Yoda

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

josh04 posted:

This is the worst post I have ever seen in a Star Wars thread

Thank you, I try.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Grogu is cringe.

Jar Jar is based.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Star Wars: Virgin Cringegu vs Based Binks

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It is relevant to the present conversation that before eating, Jar-Jar pauses and looks at the audience, as if to assure us that he is about to eat a good meal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I cannot be arsed figuring out how to do the democracy manifest speech in jar jar voice

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

josh04 posted:

In-universe, that's the equivalent of saying you wish Max Verstappen would murder a tramp.

I think I'd find Verstappen more likeable if he was a murderer, so let's hear this idea out.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I cannot be arsed figuring out how to do the democracy manifest speech in jar jar voice

"Yousa just assured meesa that meesa could speak. Look, Isa under what? Gentlemens, thisa is democracy manifest. Havea looka the headlock here, see that chap over there? he- GET YOUR HAND OFF MY PEESA! This is the bloke who got me on the peesa people. Why did yousa do this to meesa, for what reason, what isa the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Cheesa meal. Oh, thassa a nice headlock sir, oh, ah yesa, meesa see that yousa know your judo well. Good one. And yousa sir, are you waiting to receive my limp peesa? How dare - get yousa hands off meesa! Tetta, and farewell."

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

A bombad Chinese meal. Maxi big, the judo

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://x.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1788406129040511237?s=46

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
This thread is rated two? Post the votes! Name & Shame!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/fruitymonkie/status/1788151306726588905

Good ol' Pablo stopped by to say "(They stop being extras if they speak)"

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 10, 2024

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vinylshadow posted:

They’re the five permanent members of the securityjedi council

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Conehead guy is both a Knight and married. Anakin's just a complainer.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Having now seen this movie for the crapteenth time, it is interesting the amount of silent characters in the film. The silent Jedi are like the silent gungan council, the silent handmaidens of padme and palpatine, the silent trade federation citizens/ruling class, silent three foot tall robots stacking robot bodies. I think it connects with the sculptures too, like the figurative sculptures all around the naboo capital and then the abstract sculptures in palpatines room. Unspoken presence.

Also interesting: ominous music cue starts with a cut to shmi Skywalker and wipes to Darth maul continuing the music. There's also very quiet kinda playful music before padme joins the squad. Lots of small quiet music.

Movie is full of parents, mentors, and youngsters, and their failure connects with Anakin's absent presumably pilot father, qui-gonn's similarity to him, and the image of sticking a fire sword into a closed steel door. Qui Gonna really screws Watto, and shmi's disappointment is palpable when she finds out Anakin is leaving. Captain Tanaka is like the only responsible adult. Jar Jar communicates very clearly, it's just English is his second language.

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 10, 2024

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Vim Fuego posted:

This thread is rated two? Post the votes! Name & Shame!

it used to be explicitly a "talk about why star wars is poo poo" thread, so the score made sense. I doubt people are voting anymore.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
some of jar jar's lines suck, but most of them are great. i'm especially a fan of the delivery on "when do you think we ARE going to be in trouble!?" while they're navigating the core.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Say it like jar jar would...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sat down and rewatched the last third of TPM

'Twas fun, though it's weird hearing Duel of the Fates chopped up to the point it's nothing like its soundtrack release (the opening chant doesn't even appear until they're fighting on the upper bridge in the reactor room)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well of course, it's stylish for boss fight themes to get more elaborate and add vocals at later stages of the fight.

Also contrasting how it's really weird and dumb that the Finn vs riot trooper battle doesn't have any music. Doesn't help that whole scene seems to be where it starts with Finn seemingly getting a serious arc and character development being smacked down for him to be comic relief in favour of everyone else.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
That kind of thing isn't uncommon. Long sections of the pod race, Obi-Wan vs Vader and the death star assault don't have music either.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, there's a number of sequences in the movies where the sound effects are the music.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Clearly sebulba's podracer engines could have benefited from a dubstep soundtrack on top of them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jehde posted:

Clearly sebulba's podracer engines could have benefited from a dubstep soundtrack on top of them.

Now I'm picturing them all done up with neon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well of course, it's stylish for boss fight themes to get more elaborate and add vocals at later stages of the fight.

Also contrasting how it's really weird and dumb that the Finn vs riot trooper battle doesn't have any music. Doesn't help that whole scene seems to be where it starts with Finn seemingly getting a serious arc and character development being smacked down for him to be comic relief in favour of everyone else.

I think this is also to set up a contrast for the triumphant arrival of the Resistance, since that's when March of the Resistance kicks in.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jehde posted:

Well, there's an Auralnauts idea if I've ever heard one

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm just picturing Tatooine but it's incredibly cyberpunk instead. Hell, the difference is mostly aesthetic.

We need more rural cyberpunk. The only example that comes to mind is Looper.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
More recently, The Creator had a shitload of rural cyberpunk.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just picturing Tatooine but it's incredibly cyberpunk instead. Hell, the difference is mostly aesthetic.

Great news! The Book Of Boba Fett has a transhumanist bandit gang in a rural setting.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A nice little interlude in Count Zero is rural. About half of The Peripheral is rural. Much of Heavy Weather is rural.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

I don't remember Saesee Tiin or Plo Koon ever saying poo poo.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

well why not posted:

Great news! The Book Of Boba Fett has a transhumanist bandit gang in a rural setting.

I like Thundercat and was very disappointed to see him as one

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://gizmodo.com/star-wars-new-jedi-order-rey-skywalker-disneyland-kyber-1851470343

quote:

“When I met Luke Skywalker, I offered him his lightsaber and he tossed it away. But the Force doesn’t always make things easy. So you keep trying, that’s all you can do.”

“I came from something evil. Sometimes I still want to run from that. But I have learned there are things stronger than blood and that the smallest light can push back the deepest darkness.”

“I’m Rey, Rey Skywalker.”

“Maybe you’ve heard. I’m all the Jedi. So I’ve got that going for me.”

“Luke Skywalker was my master. So was his sister Leia. And her son, Ben, gave his life for me. I took the Skywalker name to honor them and their legacy.”

“The Force is so much bigger than any creed, any philosophy, anything that can fit in a bunch of books. Master Skywalker taught me that in his first lesson on Ahch-To. I knew right away I’d never forget it. That I’d never be the same.”

“I grew up in the desert and yet every night I dreamt of an island. A tiny dot in an endless sea. I saw it so clearly. But I never imagined it might be real. Real. And waiting for me.”

“Ben was right about letting go of the past. But not about killing it. My task is to make something new. Not by killing the past but by building on all that’s good in it.”

“The early Jedi sought to bind the galaxy’s wounds. They looked at what was broken and saw how to fix it. When I read that I thought, ‘Well, I’m good at that already.’”

“I’ve studied the sacred texts of the Jedi. Do you know what the most important pages are? It’s the blank ones left at the end because those ancient teachers knew the lessons weren’t finished and never could be.”
Oh good, so she'll be doing her own thing to fill in those blank pages rather than repeating what came before, right?

...Right?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's still time to make her an android

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I like that they decided to reference one of the most disliked lines out of the movies.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I'm Rey. Rey Flynow."

[Rey died on her way back to Jakku]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

https://gizmodo.com/star-wars-new-jedi-order-rey-skywalker-disneyland-kyber-1851470343

Oh good, so she'll be doing her own thing to fill in those blank pages rather than repeating what came before, right?

...Right?

"Do, or do not, it doesn't matter as long as you try."