Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Space Robot posted:

If Magneto actually gave a gently caress like this panel seems to indicate, he could probably help instead of just standing there like an rear end in a top hat.

Magneto (after pretending to be another mutant called Xorn) once took over all of New York, tore all the buildings up to create a massive concentration camps and threatened to eat the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

This panel makes me think of maybe the funniest bit in The Boys, where there's a Regan-era TV movie starring their version of Captain America, fighting the soviets in Afghanistan alongside 'our brave mujhadeen brothers'.

Which also does make me realise that over their 60-odd year span, the comics have largely done a much better job of staying out of complicity in the Military Industrial Complex than the MCU has (even though the first Iron Man film at least started as a critique of the MIC). I don't know if that's the disneyification of things, the US government's tanks 'n fighter jet Hollywood subsidies, or what.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 7, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Oh I know, but it's meant to show off the costume and be representative of the movie in theory, and it's just not exciting at all. Like I said, not judging the movie based off of it, I'm just saying it's an odd choice.

Man of Steel's first image was this:

Which sells a much different energy.

Here's Harry Potters

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

The Grumbles posted:

This panel makes me think of maybe the funniest bit in The Boys, where there's a Regan-era TV movie starring their version of Captain America, fighting the soviets in Afghanistan alongside 'our brave mujhadeen brothers'.

I feel like that's a reference to Rambo 3, which is dedicated to the "brave Mujahideen warriors in Afghanistan" or something like that.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not judging the movie based on the image, but it is a weird first image to show, Superman casually putting his shoes back on while something major happens outside. It's not super exciting. But I guess it's meant to show this is just everyday stuff to this Superman? He seems bored. Yay new Superman movie?

Also, I can't say exactly why, but I get some vague GotG 3 vibes from it.

It's not exactly the same, but it's there, I think.

I read somewhere it was the same costume director Gunn worked with on his Marvel films, which explains a lot. I kind of like the idea of the outfit feeling like a space man combat suit. I think the picture works well as a tease.

I think like a lot of other people I expected it would be a more back to basics set of bright flat textures, but you also can't get a good sense of anything from this one still. I suspect in motion it will still feel more 'classic' than more recent films. I mean fans are still making some crazy statements about it on social media.

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I feel like that's a reference to Rambo 3, which is dedicated to the "brave Mujahideen warriors in Afghanistan" or something like that.

Oh, nice! That's funny.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 7, 2024

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

3 A.M. Radio posted:

it's actually a reference to a false rumor that was spread about rambo 3 claiming that after 9/11 they modified new releases to change the text, but it's always been this:

you can find mentions of this original text in reviews from when it was first released

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Infinitum posted:

Here's Harry Potters

lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Grumbles posted:

Which also does make me realise that over their 60-odd year span, the comics have largely done a much better job of staying out of complicity in the Military Industrial Complex than the MCU has (even though the first Iron Man film at least started as a critique of the MIC). I don't know if that's the disneyification of things, the US government's tanks 'n fighter jet Hollywood subsidies, or what.
A lot of the writers on Marvel stuff were pretty anti-war.

We see things like the arc when Steve Rogers quit being Cap because of not wanting to be used by the government for things he didn't believe in for a period. I know there are more examples but I immediately think of the whole Nomad thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Reminds me of some threads I was reading discussing the original Civil War event in the comics. That was around the first time I ever read comics at all and so with the nostalgia stirred up by all my renewed interest in Marvel, I was looking into it all again. But anyway, somebody posted some interviews with Mark Millar from the mid 2000s where he is pretty bleak and blunt about his views on the War on Terror and America and whatnot. I've also been revisiting the Supreme Power series by JMS where "Superman" is abducted as a baby by the US government and raised as a weapon of American supremacy until he gets tired of all the lies and killing and fucks their poo poo up.

So yeah, not big fans of the American government and military.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://x.com/BeauDemayo/status/1787893336478748954

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Wait is this why he said to watch Pryde of the X-men?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Storm, Jean and Logan straight upgrades. Scott, eh, kind of lateral, I do prefer the hair showing. Rogue, nah, I get what they're going for, but the bomber jacker and green/yellow is too iconic.

Is that Cable look from him being part of X-Force way back when?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Storm, Jean and Logan straight upgrades. Scott, eh, kind of lateral, I do prefer the hair showing. Rogue, nah, I get what they're going for, but the bomber jacker and green/yellow is too iconic.

Is that Cable look from him being part of X-Force way back when?

I totally agree about Jean. Her 90s outfit is absolutely hideous and always has been. Even the Silver Age dress is a huge improvement to me.

Maybe they'll even let her have a codename again. Marvel Girl or Marvel Woman or something? Phoenix be fine, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, why do the dummies for the girls have hair? Does the Wolverine suit have Logan's dumb hairstyle as a wig under the mask?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Its so you can recognize them. Alternatively, yes, sure, whatever. God, a child wouldn't ask these questions they'd just enjoy it.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Gaz-L posted:

Also, why do the dummies for the girls have hair? Does the Wolverine suit have Logan's dumb hairstyle as a wig under the mask?

lmaoo yah what's that about?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fivemarks posted:

Its so you can recognize them. Alternatively, yes, sure, whatever. God, a child wouldn't ask these questions they'd just enjoy it.

Yeah, it didn't even occur to me to ask. Who cares?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gaz-L posted:

https://twitter.com/BeauDemayo/status/1787911608121115078

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Jean has a 3 am panic attack/meltdown and cuts her bangs just to feel in control.

Edit: the obvious answer is that is Madeline Pryor and she is bald or some poo poo from surviving Genosha.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 7, 2024

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Marsupial Ape posted:

Jean has a 3 am panic attack/meltdown and cuts her bangs just to feel in control.

Finally a superhero I can relate to

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I totally agree about Jean. Her 90s outfit is absolutely hideous and always has been. Even the Silver Age dress is a huge improvement to me.

Maybe they'll even let her have a codename again. Marvel Girl or Marvel Woman or something? Phoenix be fine, too.

I really don't like any of these old school costumes esp Jean's which looks like something you'd wear to go out and not fight against robot zombies.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

With one notable exception

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/7/16440850/marvel-northrop-grumman-comic-event-canceled-nycc-2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shageletic posted:

I really don't like any of these old school costumes esp Jean's which looks like something you'd wear to go out and not fight against robot zombies.

When you have to fight killer cyborgs at 9 but be at the club by 11.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"To me my X-men, put on your Arcade Game costumes!"

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Infinitum posted:

"To me my X-men, put on your Arcade Game costumes!"

I was wondering why they looked so familiar

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Desperately hoping Magneto says "Welcome to die" at some point :allears:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The wigs really do have me thinking that these are imposter X-Men.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
These are pretty much their alt costumes they had a for a long time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So many superfluous outer garments

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
* Sunspot joining Magneto has to be the least surprising and most justified turn on the show. I'm surprised nobody else besides him and Rogue joined him.
* The Prime Sentinels being unaffected by Magneto's EMP stunt once again makes me wonder whether Magneto being released was part of Bastion's plan.
* "Make them mind the weather." "And you weather their minds."
* It's very telling that Bastion's dream world is basically 1950s America.
* MORPH SMASH! Also, this might have been the most Beast Mode Beast we've ever seen animated.
* They're really going all out with their ability to animate Mister Sinister, aren't they?
* Same with Jubilee.
* Now that's a heel turn I really didn't see coming. Are they pulling out Stryfe?
* Cyclops with the dumbest moment possible, holy poo poo.
* What were we saying about Wolverine's claws being allowed to do more now?
* Well, there it is. I was wondering how they'd animate it. Guess that's the only way they could really go about it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Skios posted:

* Sunspot joining Magneto has to be the least surprising and most justified turn on the show. I'm surprised nobody else besides him and Rogue joined him.
* The Prime Sentinels being unaffected by Magneto's EMP stunt once again makes me wonder whether Magneto being released was part of Bastion's plan.
* "Make them mind the weather." "And you weather their minds."
* It's very telling that Bastion's dream world is basically 1950s America.
* MORPH SMASH! Also, this might have been the most Beast Mode Beast we've ever seen animated.
* They're really going all out with their ability to animate Mister Sinister, aren't they?
* Same with Jubilee.
* Now that's a heel turn I really didn't see coming. Are they pulling out Stryfe?
* Cyclops with the dumbest moment possible, holy poo poo.
* What were we saying about Wolverine's claws being allowed to do more now?
* Well, there it is. I was wondering how they'd animate it. Guess that's the only way they could really go about it.

I knew as soon as I heard Wolverine do 'Previously on X-Men" that the canucklehead was doomed.

Sunspot's defection was very justified but then they didn't really pull the trigger on it. His and Jubilee's "battle" is a total slapfight but with superpowers all while a serious life or death struggle is going on all around them. I didn't like that part.

The mystery now is how will they fix things with Magneto dead? Will Rogue turn back to the good guy side and take his powers? Can Jean become Phoenix and fix everything? Will Polaris show up? I got no idea.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

NikkolasKing posted:

Sunspot's defection was very justified but then they didn't really pull the trigger on it. His and Jubilee's "battle" is a total slapfight but with superpowers all while a serious life or death struggle is going on all around them. I didn't like that part.

I mean, at the end of the day they're teenagers having a messy fight. Them not fully grasping the gravity of the situation in the face of their own interpersonal drama kind of tracks.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My only issue with the ep:
*disables the entire worlds power*
"Thousands are dead"

Also hype for potential savage bone-claw Wolverine, but that's likely a next season problem (If it gets renewed)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Infinitum posted:

My only issue with the ep:
*disables the entire worlds power*
"Thousands are dead"

Also hype for potential savage bone-claw Wolverine, but that's likely a next season problem (If it gets renewed)

I've heard it's already been approved for two more seasons.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Skios posted:

The Primes were all frozen. That'll also be how Sunspot and Jubilee escaped. The later sentinels were specifically said to be directly controlled by Bastion's abilities.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ5W7-abyvY

What a brilliant callback to this geat line.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I must admit I am a bit disappointed in some ways while still greatly enjoying what they have done.(spoilers for this episode and the last few I suppose) . Feels like they've kinda walked the initial premise of the first few episodes all the way back and now it's fully about Magneto and the X-Men fighting again.

Was very much hoping they'd go more in the direction of a schism in the X-Men with them splitting in two, with some of them working with Magneto (who isn't wanting to kill all humans but ones who work against mutants are fair game proactively) and others still trying to go Charles's way. Instead with Charles alive and present and Magneto going full human genocide is a-ok it feels like it has reverted to a very typical, albeit well executed X-Men story which we've seen quite a few times.

Saying that, Rogue joining up with Magneto fully feels significant and I hope they actually give that the weight it deserves in the future (I'm amused imagining her and Sunspot having a slightly awkward conversation on the asteroid, her being like "poo poo I'd hoped one of the team I knew would come with me".)

Obviously none of the adaptations I can think of have done the "Magneto goes so far he tears out all the adamantium in Wolverine" storyline and subseqeunt fallout either, so it is treading some new ground and it's all still done very well, with some cool scenes of course which helps.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Charles probably didn't need to take the big Magneto pin-up poster from his bedroom to put him up on the briefing board, the team knows what he looks like.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Magneto's VA really needed to be given new direction for this episode. He just sounds the same as he always has when the intent is that he's blind with rage. But that doesn't come across from his voicework, he just sounds like he always has which is stern but reasonable. There's also the fact that, while we were shown the Genosha genocide in horrific detail, we really didn't see the aftermath of what Magneto did. As such our sympathies lie entirely with him.

All this plus the inevitable meme of the "shut up" line to Xavier makes it feel like the show favors him far more than Charles, whether intentionally or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The animation for Sinister was great. Sinister is just so creepy it's fantastic.