Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

My work uses custom tools and extensions/addons to popular (engineering) software in my field and things usually "just work" outside of edge cases. Recently one of the principal engineers has taken it upon themself to "clean things up" so he's been asking/demanding people send him random screenshots and outputs of things like .profile and other dotfiles and more recently he's been asking for people to dump him the contents of various bin folders. He wants to "remove all the crap we don't need" but it's 100% obvious he has no idea what he's doing. He complains about software developers not knowing what mechanical engineers need and how they should stay in their lane and work with the mechanical engineers, but the irony is that now he's doing the same thing from the other end. I legit think at the moment he's literally trying to delete stuff in cygwin/bin until he finds a "minimally functional master bin folder" that he then wants everyone to copy and paste to use.

I've offered him my help ("hey principal engineer mr sir, I literally have experience helping manage a HPC and this exact same software for grad school") but like most principal engineers he's obviously the smartest person in the room.
Probably be happy if you packaged everything into a Docker container so it looks "clean" from the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I legit think at the moment he's literally trying to delete stuff in cygwin/bin until he finds a "minimally functional master bin folder" that he then wants everyone to copy and paste to use.

I've offered him my help ("hey principal engineer mr sir, I literally have experience helping manage a HPC and this exact same software for grad school") but like most principal engineers he's obviously the smartest person in the room.

wait I heard about this guy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_Muntz

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MrMoo posted:

Probably be happy if you packaged everything into a Docker container so it looks "clean" from the outside.

He's the person that thinks the epitome of version control is copying the folder and putting a date on it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
What's his goal (if there is any coherent goal)? Reproducibility of builds is a very good thing and if there is variation in people's setup then it potentially works against that. It is best controlled by having a known standard (e.g. a dedicated build server whose configuration is documented and stable) rather than by being obsessive over controlling everyone's workspace though. Or is he just on the warpath because he's decided the current way of doing things is inefficient? (in which case he should be able to produce evidence to support that contention)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
basically what business problem is he trying to solve and what's his evidence that (1) it's a problem and (2) his activities are a good way to solve it

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I hope there is someone senior enough to explain to him that he is touching people's tools.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm pretty sure he's the most senior (by tenure) employee in the company, and he's the most senior (by "rank") non-management engineer as well. He's a lifer and he's basically irreplaceable.

Hammerite posted:

he's decided the current way of doing things is inefficient?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OddObserver posted:

I hope there is someone senior enough to explain to him that he is touching people's tools.

Doesn't that normally get you fired before you can cause a lawsuit?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

what do you do when a library you want to use is not licensed for distribution?
download firefox and steal it from the firefox installer of course!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Polio Vax Scene posted:

based

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Polio Vax Scene posted:

:psyduck:

Does the loophole actually work, or is it cargo cult poo poo?

Meaning, (a) is there an actual legal restriction that prevents the script from downloading the DLL from either MS's website or some stable source like dll-files.com, and (b) does extracting the file from firefox's package actually bypass that restriction?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You have a license for The Program. That license dictates the ways you are authorized to use and/or distribute The Program. Things that you do with The Program beyond the terms of that license are not authorized. Separating part of The Program and using it by itself is generally not going to be authorized under your license. The law is not going to draw a distinction based on it being a DLL designed to be easily separated for the convenience of the developers of The Program.

That DLL in particular is just part of an old Windows SDK, though. (It’s the HLSL compiler.) As far as I know, MS gives developers a broad license to redistribute it. So I don’t know why this would be necessary.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

rjmccall posted:

You have a license for The Program. That license dictates the ways you are authorized to use and/or distribute The Program. Things that you do with The Program beyond the terms of that license are not authorized. Separating part of The Program and using it by itself is generally not going to be authorized under your license. The law is not going to draw a distinction based on it being a DLL designed to be easily separated for the convenience of the developers of The Program.

A TOS violation somewhere between mozilla and the end user sounds like it's a better problem to have than a direct copyright violation by the developer.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Since the destination is WINE, a Windows emulator, I assume the DLL can't be installed by normal means on there. Still doesn't explain why you wouldn't just host the DLL yourself.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
its almost impossible to avoid getting sued for something if you work as a software developer long enough and release enough products - you can do all the patent search and perform all the rituals you want to try to ensure that you don't get sued and still end up with a lawsuit because someone has the software patent on an arrow that faces to the right indicating that a submenu is present on a context menu and your patent search should've picked up on that fact.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

its almost impossible to avoid getting sued for something if you work as a software developer long enough and release enough products - you can do all the patent search and perform all the rituals you want to try to ensure that you don't get sued and still end up with a lawsuit because someone has the software patent on an arrow that faces to the right indicating that a submenu is present on a context menu and your patent search should've picked up on that fact.

better to have a policy of not searching patents. avoids 3x damages

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

leper khan posted:

Yeah every job I've had they say "never look at patents, we don't want triple damages"

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

NihilCredo posted:

:psyduck:

Does the loophole actually work, or is it cargo cult poo poo?

Meaning, (a) is there an actual legal restriction that prevents the script from downloading the DLL from either MS's website or some stable source like dll-files.com, and (b) does extracting the file from firefox's package actually bypass that restriction?

i found a nearly identical thing in winetricks and it looks like the actual issue is that the MS-sourced downloads are .msu files and the people looking at it couldn't get cabextract to get the dll out of it. so now that specific firefox installer is how winetricks adds d3dcompiler_47.dll to this day if you ask it to.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

leper khan posted:

The legal term should be Critical Hit damages

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
C# defaulting to system locale strikes again.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I think those mushroom boys were on to something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
oh boy hardcoded plaintext passwords in this vendor's admin tools, what a fun time i am having