Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So is Grimsberg worth binging after the season is done next week? Keep in mind I can put up with a lot when it comes to Jon Hamm being funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

The Last Call posted:

I got no problem if the show is about the characters, there can be some good stuff mined there.

Am willing to give the show more than it's fair shake to see where it goes with them.

I was about to drop the thing near the end of the second episode, having predicted how things were going to turn out and not interested in what it seemed like it was offering (oh so the punchline is always going to be misery?), but then it had the funeral and that's what made me think there's more to what they're doing and where they're going with it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Escobarbarian posted:

So is Grimsberg worth binging after the season is done next week? Keep in mind I can put up with a lot when it comes to Jon Hamm being funny.

Yes. It's a funny show and a good parody of weird crime dramas.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Repeat after me you goobers

“ha ha funny toof man”

No more, no less. It’s that simple.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah it's pretty funny.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Escobarbarian posted:

Jon Hamm needs to be studied. There's something just so uniquely funny about him that I find really hard to put my finger on. Something about his handsome leading man look really enhances any kind of comedy he does.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

He was great in Curb, buddying up with Larry David as he shadowed him for a role and becoming more like him

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I liked that “wonky collision physics” was a plot point in the new TADC, that made me chuckle.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
GMOD ragdoll sounds are instant comedy.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Macaluso posted:

Jon Hamm needs to be studied. There's something just so uniquely funny about him that I find really hard to put my finger on. Something about his handsome leading man look really enhances any kind of comedy he does.

I literally must have some kind of voice blindness because I can't hear Jon Hamm... only Will Arnett.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Escobarbarian posted:

It finds its groove quickly and is gleefully weird.

XavierAlexander
Mar 22, 2024

by Pragmatica
I loved the shorts it was bades on when he teamed up with helium.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How on Earth did we get a Dilbert cartoon? was it... any good?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Surprisingly much better than it had any right to be, almost entirely because of Larry Charles' involvement.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Daniel Stern and Chris Elliott as the two leads was also excellent casting

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

The Modern Leper posted:

I literally must have some kind of voice blindness because I can't hear Jon Hamm... only Will Arnett.

This is not just you. When I looked it up I swore I was hearing Bojack all the time. Hamm is almost doing a will arnett impression in grimsburg.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

YggiDee posted:

UPN was loving desperate for content to fill time during its brief existence at the end of the 90s. And it was in fact very, VERY good for its time largely because Scott Adams 1) hadn't gone crazy yet in our pre-9/11 Before World, and 2) was actually kind of iced out of the whole process so the show was made in spite of him and flourished because of it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

YggiDee posted:

Yes, it's honestly worth checking out if you haven't seen it already.

Macaluso posted:

Dude is an amazing voice actor and has great comedic timing.

Also, speaking of Grimsburg, in the newest episode was that Tommy Pickles voice actor playing young Flute? Because that voice sounded REALLY familiar.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A.o.D. posted:

GMOD ragdoll sounds are instant comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktk7WEyfgxw&t=124s

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lmdabo the kid in Royal Crackers is Naruto

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Believe it!

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

YggiDee posted:

As mentioned, yes it's actually good and there's not that much of it so you can watch it all in an afternoon. I think it helps if you remember that Scott Adams hadn't gone completely insane yet and that Dilbert was a genuinely beloved comic strip, especially by nerdy types who identified with Dilbert as the smart guy struggling against the odds. It's only later on that we all realized that maybe those fake sociopathic business books that Adams was writing weren't supposed to be satire.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dilbert was founded on being much more self-aware and satirical of dumb men with power, and was fairly young when the show was made (and yeah I think the show had a fairly different voice from the comic even if it took a lot of the comic as a base).

On top of the natural turn towards conservatism and obnoxiousness that comes with age and wealth and two divorces, I think Scott Adams has had fairly serious actual brain issues that I think played a part of him going crazy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also as mentioned, Adams had little if anything to do with the show

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

A Dilbert cartoon isn't nearly as weird as them doing a Baby Blues cartoon. Like, why? Did Ziggy turn them down or something?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

A Dilbert cartoon isn't nearly as weird as them doing a Baby Blues cartoon. Like, why? Did Ziggy turn them down or something?

Ziggy apparently got one of those too but it was only a special:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziggy%27s_Gift

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It is very on-brand for Ziggy to miss out on the whole comic-strip-to-beloved-animated-series pipeline of the 70s/80s.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bloom County/Outland oddly only ever got a single Christmas special as well on the animation end for that matter (starring Michael Bell as Opus)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One of the creators of the Amazing Digital Circus tweeted that there's no overarching deep existentialist plot to the show. Just a bunch of silly episodes about the characters.

Which is pretty much not what everyone was expecting, I think.

edit: found the tweet

https://twitter.com/GooseworxMusic/status/1787111810556129536

I am honestly ok with that.

that some live leak poo poo right there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of people are desperately thirsty for building mystery stuff and just keep getting burned on it.

i dont mind mystery but i prefer it when its character baser or your given all the information through out the show but not screamed it, what happened with westworld season 2 is someone figured out the original twist or something so they changed it and it never worked well.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
huh, turns out I did see the Dilbert cartoon, or at least part of it, and I forgot what with it being uhhhh 25 years ago. Theme song: pretty good.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
TADC second episode has now crossed 52 million views.

That's crazy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I mean I like stories about tortured souls sometimes better than shows about deep existential lore, cf. my preferring Helluva Boss to Hazbin Hotel. But I'm also just not real wild about the characters in TDAC. I don't give a crap whether Jax ever stops being a gratuitous rear end in a top hat or if we ever find out what Kinger's deal is or if Zooble falls in a hole and disappears. They're just kind of weird shapes in the background to have occasional dialogue come out of.

yeah. i can see that. i like it kinda because it sorta reminds me of homestarunner in weird wasy but yeah while i like that its mostly gonna just be a character show, i do kinda not like that its just gonna possibly be the same overall joke over and over again with no real plot progression. helluva boss for its issues is building to stuff same as hazbin. idk

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like sometimes even if you don't intend to create a complicated lore, you can end up with lore creeping up anyways just as the natural result of prodding your setting's limits and characters inevitably becoming more refined over the course of multiple stories. If you're playing around with more complicated emotions other than just simple gags, that leaves a lot of lore lying around like debris.

It's also easily possible for creators to change their minds over time and assemble a narrative out of previous random jokes. I've seen a lot of webcomics go down that route over time, and I think something about long-running online indie projects really encourages that sort of lorecreep. Older creators get a hankering to go off and make some kind of magnum opus but don't want to take the risk of jumping into a new piece of media and don't have an editor to constrain them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

YggiDee posted:

huh, turns out I did see the Dilbert cartoon, or at least part of it, and I forgot what with it being uhhhh 25 years ago. Theme song: pretty good.

The Dilbert theme song goes hard (written by Danny Elfman I think?): https://youtu.be/nJFXa-xLO8Y?si=Hp13ok4VP_YNSwu0

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like sometimes even if you don't intend to create a complicated lore, you can end up with lore creeping up anyways just as the natural result of prodding your setting's limits and characters inevitably becoming more refined over the course of multiple stories. If you're playing around with more complicated emotions other than just simple gags, that leaves a lot of lore lying around like debris.

It's also easily possible for creators to change their minds over time and assemble a narrative out of previous random jokes. I've seen a lot of webcomics go down that route over time, and I think something about long-running online indie projects really encourages that sort of lorecreep. Older creators get a hankering to go off and make some kind of magnum opus but don't want to take the risk of jumping into a new piece of media and don't have an editor to constrain them.

This has to be what happened with Adventure Time.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Adventure Time's showrunning changed hands, so I wouldn't use that as an example of this phenomenon where an inexperienced or uncritical creator either abandons the original premise to chase flights of fancy or isn't responsible about establishing the boundaries of the world in favor of adding things until the lore creep becomes too much.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Maybe for the pilot, but the title sequence of AT always promised a deeper post apocalyptic lore from episode 1.

The Last Call posted:

TADC second episode has now crossed 52 million views.

That's crazy.

I'm sure the creators will be excited to receive their windfall of $75.32 (pre-tax) from Alphabet Corporation.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I mean, it's enough of a thing that they could easily start getting investors or licensing agreements for larger distribution of their merch.
Once you're making these Numbers, enough people in finance get impressed, even though Google and YouTube are extremely bad platforms for monetizing animation in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Data Graham posted:

Later writers were like, "What if we took this magic book from the first season and, I dunno, did something with it?"