Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Dr. Cool Aids)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Woke up at half 11 tonight only to go and throw up blood all over the bathroom....

Now sat in A&E with a poo poo load of people with hardly anything wrong with them other than minor boo boos while I'm here trying my best not to throw up more blood everywhere.

Good times.

Welcome to the NHS. Enjoy GP after care waiting a month for anything because people can't self medicate a headache and GP's are private and don't give a gently caress.

(all the best though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Tai posted:

Welcome to the NHS. Enjoy GP after care waiting a month for anything because people can't self medicate a headache and GP's are private and don't give a gently caress.

(all the best though)

Yeah, It irks the Mrs something chronic cause I avoid using the NHS for anything unless it's serious like this.

She's been bugging me to see the GP for 10 days cause I've had a lovely cold and cough for the last 3+ weeks and I don't ever want to be the person wasting their time over nothing.

At least I'm not wasting their time this time... It's taken ages to get me an endoscopy appointment and it's due in 2 days. The irony.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The system needs a good shake up. The government (lol lmao) should be spending money on some kind of education on self medication where you aren't rocking up to A&E/GP because you grazed your knee or stubbed your toe. The fix is not GP receptionists doing triage and only taking appointments from 8am to 9am which doesn't guarentee an appointment that you've called in sick to work for.

edit - she's right though, you should see a GP about a 3+ week cold/cough.

Tai fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 8, 2024

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I know she's right, I'm just stubborn. I did see the GP today and got antibiotics though. I took the first dose about an hour before waking up and being sick. So I guess I'll restart tomorrow.

There's so many literally crazy people in here who need help elsewhere, it's not even funny. You're right about the whole thing needing a shake up, but that's kinda the point isn't it? They want to kill it off and privatise it because it's not doing what it should be unfortunately. Can't blame the NHS though, they all do a great job with the limited resources they have and they're all pretty much very highly skilled for the same reasons...

It's the reason the Mrs moved to working private. She got fed up with the patients that shouldn't be there and had no resources to deal with stuff correctly. Gives me a lot of respect for the people still there doing what they can.

We've been here 2 hours now, despite 111 saying very sternly, don't be an idiot, get to A&E in no more than 2 hours... We've taken 2 hours to be triaged and have bloods taken and been told it's several more hours to see a Dr. Yey. Maybe I'll be out of here before my endoscopy appointment Thursday morning.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stay safe ragnar

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Apparently it's an old tear from my ongoing stomach issues and the coughing from the cold caused it to bleed again and reopen.

Blood tests to confirm then home to bed.

Hardly slept in 3 days with the cold and lovely stomach, yesterday we had another issue of our neighbour being high as a kite and banging on everyone's doors/screaming so that woke us up at 5am yesterday. Luckily I didn't need to launch him out of the flat this time though.

Hopefully I'll get some sleep tonight..

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Get well soon, original poster

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if you hang around in a&e long enough you might see Jose

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gasmask posted:

Get well soon, original poster

Wait, really? He was the first one? This is big news

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Sounds nasty but thankfully nothing too serious. Good call on getting it checked out.

The thing is with A&E etc. is that sometimes it's people's only option and/or that is where they've been told to go. I don't doubt there are many people sitting there who really really don't need to be there (and know they don't) but not everyone is like that and probably feels so ashamed or embarrassed that they're there.

I had 111 tell me to go to A&E b/c the minor injury units were closed (this was post COVID but still loads of services unavailable). I had sliced off part of my finger and god drat I felt so loving embarrassed being there. I could have self cared but my wound dressing knowledge isn't that great (though I did get lots of compliments for it :smug: ) and they advised that I would need a tetanus jab too to be safe.

I did see a lot of people who didn't need to really be there in the waiting room. One guy was losing his poo poo over having a migraine and hadn't been seen yet. I poo poo you not he had only been there for 30mins after I had been there for 4 hours by that point and just stormed out screaming at staff as he did so. It was gross as heck.

Then while actually sitting inside A&E getting my dressings and shot done I had been watching some guy having a mental health crisis and nurses trying to deal with that. He hadn't injured himself or anything but had said he wanted to commit suicide and so had to be rushed to A&E. It made me so loving sad b/c all mental health crisis issues are just sent to A&E and it's a real strain and unfair to everyone I'm involved including the person in crisis.

This was all after the last time I was in there which was 2017 and I was with my Dad in a stretcher in a corridor for gently caress knows how many hours when he broke his hip. We just had to hang out with the paramedics because they were not allowed to leave him without doing a handover which meant an ambulance was unable to see to emergencies for that entire time. I understand the importance of handovers and ensuring a patient is actually being seen before leaving them but there were so many ambulances just hanging out in the bay that we originally couldn't even pull up anywhere to safely unload my Dad. It was heartbreaking and hate so loving much that the government are doing everything they can to kill the NHS.

The worst is that a lot of the public don't want to lose the NHS but legit believe that privatisation will help make NHS horror stories and wait times decrease when lol lmao no it really loving won't. It will just get worse and worse because people won't pay to get minor ailments seen by a GP or minor injury units and then it turns into something much worse. gently caress this poo poo so loving much.

Anyway, hope you feel better soon Ragnar!!!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Solefald posted:

Lots of good stuff

A huge problem with the NHS is the GP system. Any GP outside of working in a hospital is priviately run in a business sense but funded by public money. They get a set salary and then the practice is given money and set targets they must hit for next years money. Once they hit those targets then they don't give a gently caress and palm off the work and ''refer'' you hospitals. Hospital staff will openly slag off GP's with even the slightest of a nudges from someone. It's funny as gently caress watching their reaction.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i imagine hospital doctors vs gps is sort of like that mitchell and webb sketch about policemen vs pcsos

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm lucky my GP surgery have an online form I can fill out and they contact me same day and will tell me.of I need an appointment or not.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Tai posted:

A huge problem with the NHS is the GP system. Any GP outside of working in a hospital is priviately run in a business sense but funded by public money. They get a set salary and then the practice is given money and set targets they must hit for next years money. Once they hit those targets then they don't give a gently caress and palm off the work and ''refer'' you hospitals. Hospital staff will openly slag off GP's with even the slightest of a nudges from someone. It's funny as gently caress watching their reaction.

I obviate this system by paying a pound a day, since every loving thing on the planet is a subscription these days anyway. If my circumstances were reduced, I'd certainly quit my netflix and amazon subscriptions before my gp service.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Uber for Ambulances
Surge Pricing
Paying extra to go direct as opposed to picking up other people on the way

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

4 star rating on my uberlance

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

when you get to the hospital

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

blood on seats, £50 surcharge

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Folks not living in central cities having uberlance take payment then it sits on 'finding driver' for 10 minutes before giving up and leaving you stuck.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Also the ambulance stinks of weed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Is any of that worse than the current system

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

a dude on a bike turns up and tries to cram your body into one of them big square bags

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What cracks me up about the GP system is that NHS dentistry is run as a paid for what you work. They don't get a salary, they bill the NHS for what work they do. You never hear about massive delays for treatment. Hmmmmm.....

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

delivery completed, but the photo is your body half hidden by the bins next to the kebab shop down the road from the hospital

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
NHS dentistry is hosed. My sister just got my niece an NHS dentist within a 30 minute drive of their house after 3 years of trying. From what I overheard the last time I was in there, my dentist has a waiting list for new patients that's an estimated 6-9 months. If I want an appointment and I'm not curled up in a ball crying due to the constant pain, I might get one in a few weeks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tai posted:

What cracks me up about the GP system is that NHS dentistry is run as a paid for what you work. They don't get a salary, they bill the NHS for what work they do. You never hear about massive delays for treatment. Hmmmmm.....

what is NHS dentistry

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

NHS... Dentistry????????????

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lol bad example. I just wanted to rail on GP's more

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

ambulance driver kicking you across the street to the a&e front door

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII

Tai posted:

That's why they X-Ray you nearly every time. They claim the money back for the service. Also I've not been able to get a NHS dental appointment without being in pain since Covid, yet they try to sell me £85 hygienist appointments instead of check ups.

The NHS is hosed and Doctors are now all about looking after themselves after years of over-working and unreasonable Government targets. My Wife's surgery has a Doctor that does ONE day in surgery, the rest of their days are WFH, think they do 2-3 total..

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Not related to any previous chat but I'd just like to get this off my chest:

My loving conveyancer :argh:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

just ask them to get off

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

NHS dentistry is why I'm still with the same dental surgery I've been at since I was 11. Which is a 2h drive away, to the town where my parents live.

Microplastics posted:

Bunch of cunts.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

It's like a cartel where instead of price-fixing they've all just agreed to be useless cunts (also probably some price-fixing)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

great news everyone. unemployment is over.

we solved your depression by letting you talk to an in-house counsellor, once

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lol hiring poo poo loads of people around the country to make sure you don't get sick pay because you are costing the country too much. Sounds about right.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tai posted:

lol hiring poo poo loads of people around the country to make sure you don't get sick pay because you are costing the country too much. Sounds about right.

i think HRMC just advertised they were hiring 15 people to go after benefit fraud when its a tiny fraction of money lost

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Get an AI to do the job

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

my gp got me a same day appointment for a lady to prod my balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask