Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Zereth posted:

No, other mods do that. Blue Skies tells you to go gently caress yourself, make new tools out of local resources, for example.

Oh, yeah, I haven't done anything with Blue Skies at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

RocketMermaid posted:

It's too bad this is in a modpack that doesn't have Astral Sorcery, because that would make this significantly easier.

Oh, the problem is that automating cake production requires Create now, it's not as simple as just 'collect ingredients, make cake'. This ties into me liking Create for big projects (tree farms/etc) but really disliking it for automation/etc that I want to be even reasonably compact. It's just a gigantic space hog.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

It's just a gigantic space hog.

that sounds pretty fun to deal with

e: wait just realised what you meant

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

Oh, the problem is that automating cake production requires Create now, it's not as simple as just 'collect ingredients, make cake'. This ties into me liking Create for big projects (tree farms/etc) but really disliking it for automation/etc that I want to be even reasonably compact. It's just a gigantic space hog.

To expand on this:

Pipes are a little limited and slow, so it's kind of a pain to build huge pipe contraptions across your base. So basically you need to automate all of the following:
  • Eggs
  • Growing Wheat
  • Growing Sugarcane
  • Milling Sugarcane into Sugar
  • Milling Wheat into Flour
  • Milk
  • Adding Eggs and Wheat and Sugar to a mixer
  • Compacting the batter into a unbaked cake
  • Bake the cake
  • Growing Sweet Berries
  • Make icing with sugar and milk and Sweet Berries
  • Applying icing to baked case base

Each one of those steps is kind of a space taker-upper - wheat/sugarcane can be done by one cart-farm, so that's not too bad but it's a pretty big loop of space. Then a lot of the rest of it is all some sort of conveyor based multimachine setup that flows into each other. This is ultimately kind of what Create was meant to do, so it's *doable* but the limitations of the expert mode make it all a big pain in the rear end, most notably that rotational energy can only really be consistently created with a diesel generator, and processing diesel kind of sucks to automate as well - in fact it was the thing I did right before this and it took up a big chunk of space and didn't produce all that much fuel - the cake is meant to help farm mana so you can infuse the biodiesel.

Honestly like, it's not the dumbest or worst thing in the world, it just felt kind of like a huge pain in the rear end with the other restrictions and on a skyblock where you're constantly having to build huge new platforms and stuff and take up more and more room. This is all with me cheating in an AE2 system too, otherwise all of this would be that much worse thanks to inventory bullshit.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Can't you just build vertically?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

why do i wanna play gtnh when i have all these other games to play, helldivers, bg3, factorio, etc, but ive just been dumping hours and hours into gtnh

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

speaking of addicting, kharax82 just finished his GTNH season 2 with the stargate after like 500+ episodes and like 2-3 years, and a couple days later started season 3 and is going to beat it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0kYmYnGA8

madman

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zereth posted:

No, other mods do that. Blue Skies tells you to go gently caress yourself, make new tools out of local resources, for example.

I actually really enjoyed blue skies. The world gen was kinda basic but the dungeons and fortresses with the build/damage restrictions were near. You could still somewhat overprepare for them with various tools but them making you engage with the content with a specific set of tools just led me to play with new poo poo rather than keep up with overpowered broken stuff.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

pseudorandom name posted:

Somebody should make an anti-overworld mod that reuses the (modded) overworld generation, but does a post-processing pass that alters it somehow.

You could probably make a Darkworld by forcing the skylight on every column to zero after terrain generation but before point of interest generation, and then just disabling the day/night cycle in the dimension entirely.

RFTools Dimensions can at least get close to this if it can't just do it. There wouldn't be much of a theme though with new content or whatever.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

RFTools Dimensions can at least get close to this if it can't just do it. There wouldn't be much of a theme though with new content or whatever.

Yeah, there'd have to be a point to it, otherwise why bother? Do a Stranger Things Upside Down or whatever.

Actually, that'd be interesting -- copy over chunks instead of generating or loading them, and then corrupt them and fill them with monsters.

The tricky thing is that you probably have to blanket strip the NBT data of block entities in case they have a UUID referencing external storage or something, but then you run into the problem that the NBT data might define basic attributes of the block and you end up with something else entirely.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Can anyone help me make sense of the GTNH power progression?

I'm late HV, with an automated system for titanium freshly set up, and a sprawling tangle of machines of various tiers all feeding off a CBD production line.

My understanding is that, come EV, I'm strongly encouraged to stop just slapping single-block generators everywhere, thanks to the awful efficiency of the EV-tier ones.

There seems to be two options for "proper" EV power, either a large gas turbine (running off of nitrobenzene, which I'd have to set up a line to produce) or a nuclear reactor. The former is advertised as producing 4A EV, the latter suggests it "only" produces 1920 V or so, slightly less than 1A and not even enough to run a single at-tier machine. Neither of them auto-throttles, to my understanding.

Given that I'd like to get an EV chem washer built to improve my titanium production (among other things, of course) are my options going forward really
1) run a gas turbine and waste the majority of the output (and fuel) until i get to the point where I'm actually using 4A continuously
1b) set up some convoluted system to sense when i need power and turn the turbine on and off automatically
2) build multiple nukes to power some number of EV-tier machines that may or may not be running at once
3) stick to HV generators and rely on transforming up to EV until a gas turbine becomes economical somewhere down the line

or is there some other option I'm missing?

Steelion fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 6, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Steelion posted:

Can anyone help me make sense of the GTNH power progression?

I'm late HV, with an automated system for titanium freshly set up, and a sprawling tangle of machines of various tiers all feeding off a CBD production line.

My understanding is that, come EV, I'm strongly encouraged to stop just slapping single-block generators everywhere, thanks to the awful efficiency of the EV-tier ones.

There seems to be two options for "proper" EV power, either a large gas turbine (running off of nitrobenzene, which I'd have to set up a line to produce) or a nuclear reactor. The former is advertised as producing 4A EV, the latter suggests it "only" produces 1920 V or so, slightly less than 1A and not even enough to run a single at-tier machine. Neither of them auto-throttles, to my understanding.

Given that I'd like to get an EV chem washer built to improve my titanium production (among other things, of course) are my options going forward really
1) run a gas turbine and waste the majority of the output (and fuel) until i get to the point where I'm actually using 4A continuously
1b) set up some convoluted system to sense when i need power and turn the turbine on and off automatically
2) build multiple nukes to power some number of EV-tier machines that may or may not be running at once
3) stick to HV generators and rely on transforming up to EV until a gas turbine becomes economical somewhere down the line

or is there some other option I'm missing?

You're missing the Large Combustion Engine, which is an EV-tier option for diesel fuels. It is a fair bit of titanium (~200 per generator before wallsharing,) but when boosted with oxygen they can put out 3A EV at 150% fuel efficiency. They are an excellent stepping stone between what you have now and an IV-tier XL Gas Turbine (XLGT) setup with nitrobenzene. Hint: use quadruple input hatches on these, they make inserting all 3 fluids much easier and allow for dense wallsharing.

Nukes are very off-meta right now, I would not bother. There is a design called a vacuum nuke that can work. It relies on stuffing the reactor full of fuel rods and using coolant cells to catch heat, and swapping the nearly spent coolant cells in and out of the reactor. The coolant cells are cooled off in a vacuum freezer (hence, vacuum nuke.) These can sort of compete with an XLGT setup. Not well, but they can. They are also ridiculously fragile and a massive explosion risk. They require a lot of engineering skill from you, as well, for little extra benefit.

Fluid nukes, which use a large heat exchanger to boil water for steam, are almost not worth mentioning nowadays. They do so, so poorly for their infrastructure cost.

Nitrobenzene is extremely good in IV when paired with an XLGT running large HSS-E turbine blades. (If you went hard into magic, ichorium blades are even better.) I wouldn't bother before you can make an XLGT, though; an equivalent large gas turbine running the same HSS-E blades puts out as much power as a large combustion engine. Not much point in switching when you already have CBD going.

Incidentally, I heard about an idea recently that involved scaling naphtha in an XLGT. I haven't done any math on it yet, but the theory is that you find a nice big raw oil reservoir, pump like it from crazy, and burn the naphtha it makes in an XLGT like you would nitrobenzene. I am not convinced it is viable, but I'm going to spend some time finding out. I'll post again with my conclusions when I get around to it.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Does the LCE just run perpetually even if there's nothing using the power? I'm pretty sure my infrastructure can handle the fuel consumption and the ramp-up/down mechanic certainly suggest you just set it and forget it, but the idea of just wasting all that fuel hurts a little. Guess I'd better get around to figuring out how to do redstone power monitoring and switching.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Yeah you'd need to use energy detector covers on your battery and a latch to turn it on and off to not waste fuel. Or just forget about fuel efficiency because who cares as long as your production can keep up?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Steelion posted:

Does the LCE just run perpetually even if there's nothing using the power? I'm pretty sure my infrastructure can handle the fuel consumption and the ramp-up/down mechanic certainly suggest you just set it and forget it, but the idea of just wasting all that fuel hurts a little. Guess I'd better get around to figuring out how to do redstone power monitoring and switching.

Yeah, that's going to be a common thing going forward. All the multiblock powergens are dumbfire and just run forever unless you have circuitry to turn them off.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
If you don't care about burning fuel, whether because you have a crazy good oil field or you're making biodiesel, then yeah just run the LCE all the time. The only caveat is that you will get more maintenance issues because a multi can only trigger maintenance while it's active. The cleanroom is a good comparison, in 200+ hours of cleanroom operation I've had 2 or 3 triggers of the alarm so it's probably not a real issue. Just put a needs maintenance cover and some kind of indicator light.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

queeb posted:

why do i wanna play gtnh when i have all these other games to play, helldivers, bg3, factorio, etc, but ive just been dumping hours and hours into gtnh

Play Planet Crafter instead.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Black Pants posted:

Play Planet Crafter instead.

is that actually good/ it looks very uhh, amateur i guess? minerals all over the ground you just pick up and stuff, seems weird

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

queeb posted:

is that actually good/ it looks very uhh, amateur i guess? minerals all over the ground you just pick up and stuff, seems weird

I found it downright terrible when I played it, but some people have really latched onto it, so maybe I missed something.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's popular with people who don't play a lot of these types of survival crafting builder games because it's very approachable but if you're familiar with the genre you'll likely feel it's a bit shallow for your tastes.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

SynthesisAlpha posted:

If you don't care about burning fuel, whether because you have a crazy good oil field or you're making biodiesel, then yeah just run the LCE all the time. The only caveat is that you will get more maintenance issues because a multi can only trigger maintenance while it's active. The cleanroom is a good comparison, in 200+ hours of cleanroom operation I've had 2 or 3 triggers of the alarm so it's probably not a real issue. Just put a needs maintenance cover and some kind of indicator light.

these turbines seem to have a lot more maintenance issues than the cleanroom ime. i'd guess the duty cycle is just way shorter?

personally i wouldn't want to make a habit of feeding infinite fuel into a LCE past maybe EV given you can upgrade turbine rotors to gain power throughput. novices to the multiblock power generators should just learn to embrace the RS latch. it's not that complicated and will be needed here and there throughout the pack. power requirements keep scaling like crazy so you can always use more on-demand throughput rather than constant passive generation

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

okay so whats the play for sticky resin, getting to the end of steam and need sticky resin for recipes for stuff but rubber trees dont give much when chopped, and i started with 16 rubber trees and have 2 left since they barely drop their saplings

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

okay so whats the play for sticky resin, getting to the end of steam and need sticky resin for recipes for stuff but rubber trees dont give much when chopped, and i started with 16 rubber trees and have 2 left since they barely drop their saplings

Found any slime islands? They are neon pastel colored on Journeymap. If so, nerdpole up to the top and nab some slimy saplings. Slime trees have trunks that are slime blocks, which you can extract/centrifuge for raw rubber dust.

Failing that, you either need to submit yourself to rubber tree hell or IC2 crop breeding hell. For the latter, aim for Stickreed.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

queeb posted:

I did the old timey IC2 thing of setting up a rubber tree grove and just using treetaps to collect resin without chopping. Treetaps are a bit finicky to craft early on but still cheap since it's just wood.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

if you're willing to put in the upfront cost, a forestry farm on rubber trees will give you plenty. centrifuge rubber wood on circuit 2 to get sticky resin in addition to other goodies. those two things got me to where i am post-assline even with tearing down the multifarm and rebuilding it for ic2 crop automation a long time ago

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Don't chop down the rubber trees early on. Make treetaps and get resin that way. It's a pain to make them but just bear with it for a while. I planted a huge field of trees and just would make five taps and go to town on them.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hmmm how do treetaps work? i guess i hit the sap spot on the rubber tree and move on? does that spot come back?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

does that spot come back?

Yeah. Don't try to tap it if the spot is gone, though, you can exhaust it completely that way.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah you right click the sap location, 1-2 spots per tree most of the time, it makes s sound, resin flies out, and the spot goes dark. Over time it will come back, probably anywhere between 3-30 minutes. But you usually get like 2-5 resin from each spot.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

queeb posted:

hmmm how do treetaps work? i guess i hit the sap spot on the rubber tree and move on? does that spot come back?

Ohhh sorry, i thought you were further along. ignore what i'm saying about forestry multifarms for now and just craft some treetaps. right click and the resin pops out. spots come back. you can plant rubber in an every-other grid pattern and defoliate them all. cut down any trees with no spots (you can see a circle thing even when there's no resin ready) and replant. you'll need quite a few taps for this so just batch them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

As for power, I uh... just drop a turbine per machine right now. :v: It's piss easy to route benzene around with advanced laser interfaces by setting a pair up per location I want it.
Coming back to this one way later, but do advanced laser relays not branch? I mean each one can only be paired to a single partner, right? So how do you use them as a long-range distribution considering you're sending one thing (benzene, here) to many different points? Like an ender tank, which is sadly very finnicky and seems to need replacing every time I load the game, can distribute to an arbitrarily large number of places with only one sender. What are the logistics on this?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vib Rib posted:

Coming back to this one way later, but do advanced laser relays not branch? I mean each one can only be paired to a single partner, right? So how do you use them as a long-range distribution considering you're sending one thing (benzene, here) to many different points? Like an ender tank, which is sadly very finnicky and seems to need replacing every time I load the game, can distribute to an arbitrarily large number of places with only one sender. What are the logistics on this?

Essentially I use each one as a very long distance anchor.

My super tank for benzene has a laser node on it, and that laser node connects to a little forest of advanced relays. Those advanced relays link out to somewhere else that needs benzene. Usually I link the advanced relay to one node, then daisy chain down the line as they need it.

Edit: do you know how to get the actual laser links between nodes and relays working? I can't see it in my game and it would make this a lot more clear, lmao

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

Edit: do you know how to get the actual laser links between nodes and relays working? I can't see it in my game and it would make this a lot more clear, lmao
I think it doesn't show up if you have shaders on.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

FPzero posted:

Don't chop down the rubber trees early on. Make treetaps and get resin that way. It's a pain to make them but just bear with it for a while. I planted a huge field of trees and just would make five taps and go to town on them.

Absolutely just chop down rubber trees. I usually make a 4x4 grove and chop them down whenever, they grow really fast. Treetaps suck to craft and waste time searching to tapping spots.

Rubber wood extracts to rubber dust 1:1 or goes in the coke oven or centrifuges into more sticky resin.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vib Rib posted:

I think it doesn't show up if you have shaders on.

Aha! Thanks, that's been driving me nuts! I knew that LaserIO could do that, but I wasn't aware that shaders broke it. So here's an example!

Those advanced connectors are attached to my primary benzene super tank via that node.

On the other end is another advanced connector that connects to the first node in a line of machines, which daisy chain to each other to run benzene around.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so i know i should be batch crafting stuff, but shoudl I wait to get some LV machines online before I start crafting stacks of like 64 motors etc, is there decent efficiency gain in early LV that i should wait for before going ham?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

your material gathering and processing capability is always increasing, so it's not really worth worrying about anything other than the really obvious specific bottlenecks imo (e.g. steel) - even pretty early on. using two stacks of copper rather than one to make some circuits is a very minor thing in the grand scheme of things. you saw how much the hammer changed ore gathering, and autominers are a similar step change in gathering efficiency

yes, you can get cheaper rods, wires, screws etc with the right machines, largely in the order suggested by the questbook, but LV machines do take noticeable time to process stuff and you're never gonna be sad that you had too many circuits already crafted. i reckon do batches of like 16 or 32 or something until you've got everything online

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Built my first UEV motor the other day, and I'm really starting to slow down on GTNH. I want to ultimately at least build one DTPF, but Infinity infrastructure is a loving bitch and it's getting less satisfying as things become more and more sloggy. Building the Mothership was loving brutal. I knew I was never going to go bonkers enough to build a Stargate but I still want to see a few more of the Cool Things before I move on.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

RocketMermaid posted:

Built my first UEV motor the other day, and I'm really starting to slow down on GTNH. I want to ultimately at least build one DTPF, but Infinity infrastructure is a loving bitch and it's getting less satisfying as things become more and more sloggy. Building the Mothership was loving brutal. I knew I was never going to go bonkers enough to build a Stargate but I still want to see a few more of the Cool Things before I move on.

Yeah, the cusp of UHV and UEV is usually when I start to burn out. That's the point where the mechanics start going into "spam a lot of this stuff and spam a lot of power so you can spam more stuff and spam more power." All progression packs get this way, and it's to GTNH's credit that it puts it off as long as it does, but that's where I lose interest usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a way to farm Liveroot in the Twilight Forest? Ironwood is an important material in the pack I'm playing but liveroot doesn't show up as a product of garden cloches/botany pots/etc. Will some type of tree generate it if I plant it?