Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

cruft posted:

FML I'm posting in the Windows 11 thread again.

My bluetooth headset won't use the mic. Well, it will, but only for about half a second before it switches back to the higher-quality stereo playback with no mic.

Teams, the main app I use this with, used to have both "Headphones" and "Headset" output options for this device. Now, only "Headphones". I can screw around in settings and enable "Headset" as an input device, but there's no "Headset" output device, which I think is why it uses the correct setting and then switches back to Headphones half a second later.

I found a 3-year-old Reddit thread with people complaining about this same problem. The solution: stop trying to use the mic in your headset. :bang:

Anybody ever run into this? Did you find a way to fix it?

I should note this headset works perfectly in Windows 10, ChromeOS, and Android.

bluetooth headsets in windows is a shitshow as it doesnt support high quality in both directions, I just use a bo headset that is for xbox with the xbox adapter or plug it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It’s be cool if you could browse your file system in Edge. Couldn’t you do that in like IE 4 (and probably earlier)?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
you also used to be able to browse the internet in the file explorer

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

It’s be cool if you could browse your file system in Edge. Couldn’t you do that in like IE 4 (and probably earlier)?

You can use it to browse Microsoft One Drive. That is where all your files are... right?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Celexi posted:

bluetooth headsets in windows is a shitshow as it doesnt support high quality in both directions, I just use a bo headset that is for xbox with the xbox adapter or plug it in.

At this point I'd be happy with any quality in both directions. Is there a way to do that? All I can get is speakers, no mic.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Out of curiosity, would you (if that's your screenshot) say you use edge (matching 'internet explorer') more than the file explorer?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

astral posted:

Out of curiosity, would you (if that's your screenshot) say you use edge (matching 'internet explorer') more than the file explorer?

No. I've probably used edge twice on this computer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

cruft posted:

At this point I'd be happy with any quality in both directions. Is there a way to do that? All I can get is speakers, no mic.

Have you tried forgetting and re-pairing the headset?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think the answer is, don't try to use a wireless headset with Windows, that doesn't have its own dedicated USB dongle.
But also, check if the headset manufacturer has any kind of control panel software.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I use Bluetooth earpieces and headphones with Windows 10 like literally every day, and it's fine. I haven't spent that much time in 11, but the times I've used them on a machine running it the behavior has been fine. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

nielsm posted:

I think the answer is, don't try to use a wireless headset with Windows, that doesn't have its own dedicated USB dongle.
But also, check if the headset manufacturer has any kind of control panel software.

I've run into issues with my dongle based headset too, kept getting number increments presumably because it was being plugged into different USB hubs at various times and then one of the three virtual devices disabled itself for no apparent reason.

Uninstall and reinstall is a good first step for any headset related issues, dongle or not.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I bought the Microsoft XBox Headset and the dongle suffers from USB3 interference.

I just gave up and use two headsets; that one for high quality listening and a Plantronics for meetings.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

cruft posted:

FML I'm posting in the Windows 11 thread again.

My bluetooth headset won't use the mic. Well, it will, but only for about half a second before it switches back to the higher-quality stereo playback with no mic.

Teams, the main app I use this with, used to have both "Headphones" and "Headset" output options for this device. Now, only "Headphones". I can screw around in settings and enable "Headset" as an input device, but there's no "Headset" output device, which I think is why it uses the correct setting and then switches back to Headphones half a second later.

I found a 3-year-old Reddit thread with people complaining about this same problem. The solution: stop trying to use the mic in your headset. :bang:

Anybody ever run into this? Did you find a way to fix it?

I should note this headset works perfectly in Windows 10, ChromeOS, and Android.

Yeah you're on point, you need "headset" as both input and output device, because the headphones mode tell the thing to switch to no mic protocol. This happened to me with bluetooth before. Go to Bluetooth & devices and remove the thing and try pairing it again. Switching the bluetooth antenna off and on as well as the device before pairing it again.

This problem is as common on w10 which I use for work.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah I've tried unpairing and re-pairing; I've tried removing the device from Device Manager everywhere I could find it (5 sections) and rebooting; I've tried using the USB cable, I've tried using the dongle included with the headset. I've twiddled every setting I could find under Settings, and everything in the Control Panel sound thingy. Today I'm going to try removing the entire Bluetooth device driver.

Something interesting I found last night on the Chromebook is that even with the USB cable, this headset falls back to mono when you enable the microphone. So somehow, maybe just internally, it can't do stereo speakers + mono mic: it only handles two audio channels.

But I also ordered a new wired headset last night.

:sigh:

I also discovered last night that our work forum has a couple other people reporting what sounds like the same problem after moving to Windows 11. So I wrote up everything I knew about it, linked to that form, and sent it to the tech desk. Maybe if they see this is problematic for a larger percentage of users they'll do more than tell me to buy a new headset.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 8, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it a headset from a brand big enough to have an app that can change the settings in the device and do firmware updates?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well it turns out the IT desk actually knows about this and the fix is to update the Realtek audio driver.

So now the Bluetooth headset will work with the included dongle, or with the USB cable. It'd be spiffarino if it worked with straight up Bluetooth, but I can live with this.

e: I think the thing that makes Windows so personally infuriating is that I knew what the problem was (wrong Bluetooth device profile) but the OS provides no mechanism for me to fix it, or even validate my guess. Instead I have to click through random poo poo and make wild guesses about how to translate the friendly UI into the actual back-end technological resolution. I remember the day that Internet Explorer stopped showing my 500 HTTP error pages and I had to completely redesign every web application to dump a ton of whitespace in order to force it to display error messages used to debug problems.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 8, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Update: installing an updated "Intel Bluetooth Driver" from HP's support web site has the headset working without a dongle. I've informed our tech desk.

So...

Symptom: my bluetooth headset microphone is suddenly not working (no option in Teams or other sound apps to use the mic) when previously it worked

Fix (for me): update the "Realtek Audio Effects Component" (under Audio Processing Objects in Device Manager), and the Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) driver (under Bluetooth in Device Manager)

Good luck!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cruft posted:

Fix (for me): update the "Realtek Audio Effects Component" (under Audio Processing Objects in Device Manager)

lol I was wondering why updating a realtek audio driver would fix your bluetooth, given that bluetooth audio isn't processed by the sound card. Not that I didn't believe, because realtek, but I was wondering how.

that explains it, the audio effects driver is loving with all audio on the system.

ITT post the most ins anely realtek troubleshooting fixes

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

that explains it, the audio effects driver is loving with all audio on the system.

I probably don't event want to know what the hell an "audio effects driver" is. But my black-box debugging leads me to believe that Win11 changed how it does audio.

In Win10 it seems like a dual-mode device would show up as two devices: one for stereo playback, and one for mono+mic. Even on USB.

In Win11 it looks like they're trying to have just one device, and it's up to the Bluetooth driver (or audio effects driver I guess) to make a final determination about what mode to request from the hardware.

So I guess I had Win11 with Win10 drivers, and when something called for the mic, the OS was like "yo driver, give me a mic", which the driver did, but then the OS was like "yo driver I also need audio" and the driver would switch the profile back to stereo. Now, presumably, the driver keeps track of the fact that the mic is in use, and doesn't switch back to a stereo profile.

This is all wild guessing. I hate that this is probably the most detail I'll ever know about what's going on. I miss Linux.

The part I hate the most is that I probably spent less time debugging this than I would have spent debugging a similar issue on Linux. And at the end of the day, nobody cares whether I know all kinds of trivia about Bluetooth profiles: they just want my TPS reports.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I've found that a community made Linux distro with steam on top of it has been more consistent than Windows 11 on my rog ally. I know how to make windows behave, my job is bending the will of 160k+ windows devices to serve my corporate overlords, but it's freakin exhausting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I fixed my sound issue in Arch and I've been maining it for the last couple of weeks :gritin:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

I fixed my sound issue in Arch and I've been maining it for the last couple of weeks :gritin:

Condolences.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Klyith posted:

lol I was wondering why updating a realtek audio driver would fix your bluetooth, given that bluetooth audio isn't processed by the sound card. Not that I didn't believe, because realtek, but I was wondering how.

ITT post the most ins anely realtek troubleshooting fixes

Realtek audio drivers can cause video card hangups, even

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I think my realtek audio driver got expunged from existence after trying to do multiple windows updates at once. I tried to reinstall the audio drivers, but nothing shows up under the device manager each time, not even as an unknown device. The result of having no audio driver installed is that plugging in headphones into the audio jack results in strange behavior such as maxing the pc volume immediately (pointlessly), or doing the opposite and sinking the volume infinitely if you try to raise the volume. Also acting weird if you twist the audio jack.

Usb headphones work fine though. :v:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

So Bluetooth is garbage on windows. Bluetooth is also famously garbage on Linux, I had a friend deep dive into bad audio quality over Bluetooth on Linux and how there are just some fundamental problems. I've had a bunch of headaches on both OSes and mostly just keep things wired now because of it all.

And I don't know, but that and my experiences with Bluetooth kinda make me wonder, maybe Bluetooth itself is just kinda garbage? It just seems near universally bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
it's always been poo poo everywhere, yes

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

BrainDance posted:

So Bluetooth is garbage on windows. Bluetooth is also famously garbage on Linux, I had a friend deep dive into bad audio quality over Bluetooth on Linux and how there are just some fundamental problems. I've had a bunch of headaches on both OSes and mostly just keep things wired now because of it all.

And I don't know, but that and my experiences with Bluetooth kinda make me wonder, maybe Bluetooth itself is just kinda garbage? It just seems near universally bad.

It's just a bunch of overlapping standards the hw manufacturers are not keeping up with while having to keep backwards compatibility.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

BrainDance posted:

I read a bunch of background on it it's a ridiculously bloated and overly complex standard. Not that linux is usually fast to catch up on new tech but the ongoing difficulties with it does a pretty good job revealing what tech by committee does.

Same thing happened with OAuth2.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

I read a bunch of background on it it's a ridiculously bloated and overly complex standard. Not that linux is usually fast to catch up on new tech but the ongoing difficulties with it does a pretty good job revealing what tech by committee does.

Seconding this take: I also have learned more about Bluetooth than I ever wanted to, and it's awful.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

cruft posted:

Seconding this take: I also have learned more about Bluetooth than I ever wanted to, and it's awful.

Thirding this: I wrote a Bluetooth driver for FreeRTOS ages past and god drat it is a lovely system.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Volguus posted:

Thirding this: I wrote a Bluetooth driver for FreeRTOS ages past and god drat it is a lovely system.

fourthing this: did a lot of work on a LE integration that had to be cross-mobile compatible and even with all those thousands of loving words of standard you still have to look at stack overflow for what different phone manus require

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Nolgthorn posted:

I’m just here for the OAUTH2 hate

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Aunt Beth posted:

I’m just here for the OAUTH2 hate

Hell yeah brother, someone else who actually looked at how that works.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

I tried and gave up, does that count?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Part of me wants someone to find an exploit in that massive pile of spaghetti but the rest of me knows when that happens they'll just add more spaghetti.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Nolgthorn posted:

SAML is my ride or die

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Nolgthorn posted:

What's not to like?

Aunt Beth posted:

SAML is my ride or die

XML sucks though :smith:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Gucci Loafers posted:

XML sucks though :smith:

Wut?