Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Retro42 posted:

Partially it's ammo and the damage model I think. Standard ammo is SP rounds for most kits found in the village. Hitting armor results in a bruise(and potential internal damage) and armor durability loss. So any armor you fight definitely pulls its weight right now early game. Also, unless a shot hits a vital you can't "leg" someone like Tarkov AFAIK. Sure, I've had to quickly retreat to patch the 5+ bleeds in my arms/legs but I've only ever died instantly to a penetrating chest/head shot or a lucky hit to the neck/face.

Also apparently they might be having an issue with the "vital target" hit boxes like heart/lung/brain where they're getting shrunk or deformed inside the model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

if an extraction shooter isn't structured in such a way that I can literally enter the game with my primary plan being "get some lightbulbs and a couple cans of meat and kill anyone that tries to stop me" then why am I even playing?

It's amazing how many of us just want to play Supermarket Sweep but with guns.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Retro42 posted:

Partially it's ammo and the damage model I think. Standard ammo is SP rounds for most kits found in the village. Hitting armor results in a bruise(and potential internal damage) and armor durability loss. So any armor you fight definitely pulls its weight right now early game. Also, unless a shot hits a vital you can't "leg" someone like Tarkov AFAIK. Sure, I've had to quickly retreat to patch the 5+ bleeds in my arms/legs but I've only ever died instantly to a penetrating chest/head shot or a lucky hit to the neck/face.

Yeah, one shot drops require major organ damage, brain or heart.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
anyone with eod gotten access to the pve poo poo like nikita said he would?

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.
Yep. I got access today. My wife still hasn't but got EoD after me.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

hbag posted:

from what ive seen of gray zone people seem way more bullet spongey which kind of ruins it imo

Seems to be a bug with certain ammo types. M4's take down most targets in one or two well placed rounds, even centre mass with unarmoured targets.

But AKs and Shotgun slugs need full mags unloading..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Last King posted:

I'd comment, but I was a nerd and upgraded the unseen edition.

I'm sorry goons. I have more money than common sense..

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Seems to be a bug with certain ammo types. M4's take down most targets in one or two well placed rounds, even centre mass with unarmoured targets.

But AKs and Shotgun slugs need full mags unloading..

seems dependent on how the server is doing.

CNS hits with the AK's can one shot, but if the jank level is high, be ready to dump half a mag

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Last King posted:

My EoD PVE is available now. No idea when, I randomly logged in today, no email or somesuch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

if an extraction shooter isn't structured in such a way that I can literally enter the game with my primary plan being "get some lightbulbs and a couple cans of meat and kill anyone that tries to stop me" then why am I even playing?

I’m with you on this. There are lots of runs where I’m happy if I successfully avoid enemy contact and extract with my bag of cpu fans or whatever. In fact, it’s really rare for me to go looking for fights.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My objective in every match is to walk out of there looking like I’m carrying a hobbit’s backpack the size of my person with a frying pan hanging off the side.

If that’s wrong I don’t want to be right.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I fight on factory otherwise my pmc is aQuestin and my scav is trying to aRattin

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

yeah all the other ones ive played seemed to have missed the point that its meant to be stalker with hella weapon modding not a serious competitive game or whatever.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the new last hero arena mode is insane. basically cod with tarkov mechanics and like insta respawn, can swap kits during the match, ffa, good kits etc.

holy poo poo they should've launched with this mode

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
wow, cod? riveting stuff

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

do i need to launch 15 different applications and restart them all because of an update to play it

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

hbag posted:

do i need to launch 15 different applications and restart them all because of an update to play it

Just 13 different ones and 2 instances of the same one so it doesn't count.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Psycho Society posted:

wow, cod? riveting stuff

yes, a fast paced death match with virtually no downtime is what people wanted arena to be and instead we got whatever that pile of poo poo was on launch

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think a lot of people wanted it to be more like CS, to be honest.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i believe there's a game like that, it's called counter strike

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

LazyMaybe posted:

that sounds terrible

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
having a slower paced tactical shooter style arena mode sounds way better than making it like CoD lol

though of course the ideal tarkov arena would have been no tarkov arena

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i dont see the appeal of tarkov arena. so it's just like any other FPS except people drop in 2 or 3 hits?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
no, it's just like any other FPS except you've got a janky inventory/equip system minus all the things that people like about tarkov itemization, and all of tarkov's netcode+hit detection jank without any of the game loop that makes people put up with that stuff

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

LazyMaybe posted:

thaht wouldve actually been worht trying out and fit the gunplay and general pace of the game, and having an eco layer to buy kits would again fit the way the game works really well. turning it into deathmatch is just "oops arena sucked rear end whats the lowest effort thing we can do"

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

LazyMaybe posted:

no, it's just like any other FPS except you've got a janky inventory/equip system minus all the things that people like about tarkov itemization, and all of tarkov's netcode+hit detection jank without any of the game loop that makes people put up with that stuff

oh, well now im sold on it

tjones
May 13, 2005
i think when people originally thought of arena they thought of either dm or round based combat using tarkovs gun mechanics, which are arguably one of if not the best in the shooter genre.

horrible netcode, desync, and server issues aside, it felt rushed, the kit/rank system was not well thought out, most maps are way too claustrophobic (imo), and bsg burned a ton of money trying to roll an esport league to promote it. everyone, players included, got burned in the process.

arena at its core is still fun if you enjoy tarkov combat. it's not tarkov but i don't think it's trying to compete with itself so much as give arena shooter enjoyers an alternative to the extraction mode.

stux's version sounds dope. and a dm version doesn't hurt anyone. it doesn't matter what game it is, everyone seems to love their own version of fy_iceworld.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

LazyMaybe posted:

the gameplay loop is that u shoot stuff and it is fun and they fixed the kits so the t2 kits are good but have at least one big drawback (and everyone gets all the meds that are relevant) and the t3 kits are all meta kits

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
also they're still developing their other arena modes, i'm just talking about a single new dm mode they added which is cool because it represents the fastest way to get a ton of experience with tarkov's pvp mechanics that has ever existed. it has literally 10x less downtime than all the other arena modes

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
They should keep the itemisation in arena.

Have starter missions where everyone has free rigs and pistols and if you win, you get a little cash and move onto the next tier where you can buy some gear.

Have the games structured so rather than fixed kits it's more like:

Lvl 1. Free rigs and pistols
Lvl 2. $1000 max spend per kit.
Lvl 3. $5000
Lvl 4. $10000 etc etc etc. would have allowed people to make their own builds, they could balance separate to Tarkov and keep players engaged and still keep that gear fear aspect.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Man, it sucks when you kill someone and get super heavy with loot and then drop your backpack to get some stamina back and the backpack just disappears :(

At least the rest of the run to extract was without stamina problems.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Someone updated the Traveler mod for 3.8.x and it runs great. It works with Fika too. Game is so good when you don't have to play on official servers. Just you, the boys and gunfire as far as the ear can hear.

It's kinda wild how SPT can be as hard and stressful as Live but still feel fair, fun and not as punishing.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Eat The Rich posted:

Someone updated the Traveler mod for 3.8.x and it runs great. It works with Fika too. Game is so good when you don't have to play on official servers. Just you, the boys and gunfire as far as the ear can hear.

It's kinda wild how SPT can be as hard and stressful as Live but still feel fair, fun and not as punishing.

I just added in questing bots on my current softcore run and ended up adding 40m to the raid timer because there's just a pile of fighting. It's great I just felt like I'd rather deal with ammo/food/water/meds/gambling as a more limiting factor then time.

Also some pmc bot camped me, waiting until I left my bush and opened up, what a jerk.

I should try traveler, it sounds neat

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Eat The Rich posted:

I kind of want to try it, but I need the human element in my games. Even if SPTs PMCs were programmed to act exactly like real players, I wouldn't feel the same accomplishment or frustration when fighting them.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'm not knocking on anyone liking PvE Tarkov, but for me it is so necessary to know it is a human on the other end. Defeating them and knowing it was a real person I outwitted or outshot feels amazing. ANd dying to them feels good too, because I know they take my gear and now get stressed trying to extract and get away.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I enjoy SPT and now GZW because I can launch the game and be playing in under 30 seconds.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played some SPT/MPT with a friend the other day making it the first time I actually played this game with a friend and we had a blast despite getting owned on our way to extraction. The AI tweaks made in the DONUT mod or whatever it's called are great, it really feels like you're fighting other players. I still think the game kinda sucks to play with friends because if one of us dies then it's either beeline towards extract or the other person has to sit around for 20+ minutes. But we're way more likely to do it now with SPT because it feels approachable in a way it didn't feel before. The Ground Zero map is great too, first time playing that one. It's a nice change from doing Customs over and over again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

concise posted:

I enjoy SPT and now GZW because I can launch the game and be playing in under 30 seconds.

The only thing that interests me about SPT is not having the wait a ridiculous amount of time to get into a match as it's far and away the worst part of the game.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

personally i find SPT more boring because AI can be cheesed and baited in many cases. sniping in particular is way way easier because real players get a sense for when they're being watched and path accordingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The only thing that interests me about SPT is not having the wait a ridiculous amount of time to get into a match as it's far and away the worst part of the game.

Crazy how all the EOD and now Unheard money never bought a decent server architecture and people just normalized 5-10 minute queues.