Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1787504940828488048

Incredible things are happening in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

fart simpson posted:

buddhism is infused into the chinese cultural milieu in a similar way to how christianity is in the west. you know all those people in the west that say they're "spiritual" or "christian" but dont ever go to church and dont actually do anything other than vaguely believe in the christian god and think that maybe theres an afterlife etc? tons of those people in china exist too, but they will usually call themselves athiest or nonreligious, but they might still go through the motions of lighting the incense and praying if they happen to go to a buddhist temple on a vacation or something, and instead of saying there might be a heaven they'll say that reincarnation might be real

Chinese people are just like us?! China watchers astounded

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

When I was a vegetarian twenty years ago I knew some Buddhist vegetarians (mostly from SE Asia rather than China) that I used as a guide for my own eating habits and the emphasis was on the practical ethical side rather than anything like body purity. That meant not participating in or encouraging the slaughter of animals but also not much concern over ingredients. If you ordered tofu noodles and there was fish sauce on it so it goes. To whatever extent any of this matters in globalism you made your attempt to nudge away from the apocalyptic wholesale slaughter of animals by ordering the tofu. There were also some Asian pescatarians who wouldn't have cared about that anyway since there was some belief system that put fish in the same category as bugs (from India maybe?). Unless you were going full Jain ascetic killing bugs wasn't usually thought as something good but also didn't have to be avoided.

A former monk said that at least at their monastery they had rules on being veggie, but they always had to accept any food given as charity. This was rural and they did a lot of work for people and if someone brought you a meat dish in thanks then you should eat it (obviously a rule easily abused if one wanted to but if you are rules lawyering as a buddhist you are already not on the vibe). Buddhism is a pretty vague framework that has a wide swath of values across the world though so I'm sure it's different in other places.

I abandoned being veggie when I spent a lot of time traveling by foot in the South and couldn't live on french fries and lovely salads, but I still vaguely keep to these ideas picking meat alternatives when I can.

FuzzySlippers has issued a correction as of 22:11 on May 7, 2024

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

A group of leading China critics in Congress is urging the State Department to step up its efforts to curb Beijing’s gruesome $1 billion forced organ harvesting trade, which targets ethnic and religious minorities, including Uyghurs, Tibetans, Muslims, Christians, and Falun Gong practitioners.

Six members of the Congressional-Executive Commission on China, or CECC, sent a letter last week to Secretary of State Antony Blinken asking him to utilize existing agency reward programs to provide monetary incentives for information that will “deter and disrupt the market for illegally procured organs” in China. Rep. Chris Smith, who chairs the CECC, and Sen. Marco Rubio, the commission’s ranking member, joined Democrat Rep. Jennifer Wexton of Virginia and GOP Reps. Michelle Steel of California, Zach Nunn of Iowa, and Ryan Zinke of Montana in signing the letter.

The State Department manages two programs that offer awards of up to $25 million for information leading to the arrest and/or conviction of members of significant transnational criminal organizations. One focuses on violators of U.S. narcotics law, and another targets other crimes that threaten U.S. national interests, including human trafficking, wildlife trafficking, cybercrime, money laundering, and trafficking in arms and other illicit goods.

“We strongly support the Department of State’s efforts to issue rewards for wildlife and narcotics trafficking in the [People’s Republic of China],” the lawmakers wrote. “However, given the global demand for organ transplants and the evidence of the illegal trafficking of organs in the PRC, there is a pressing need to uncover first-hand information from those who witnessed or engaged in the practice.”

A State Department spokesperson said the agency does not generally comment on congressional correspondence but stressed that the Chinese government should allow “independent and transparent investigations into the country’s organ transplantation system and should welcome independent observers to investigate the veracity of these reports.”

“Researchers, activists, and organizations continue to compile concerning information on harvesting organs from non-voluntary donors, including prisoners of conscience and members of minority groups such as Falun Gong practitioners and predominantly Muslim Uyghurs,” the spokesperson said. “If these allegations are corroborated, they would be a blatant abuse of human rights and an egregiously unethical medical practice.”

The spokesperson also called on the Chinese government to cease “its depraved actions against prisoners of conscience, to act in accordance with its human rights commitments and to fully comply with all relevant medical and ethical standards and best practices, including acting in the best interests of the patient, informed consent, and respect for personhood.”

Communist China has long harvested prisoners’ organs, even though the government in Beijing initially asserted that all their organ extractions were from voluntary donors. But as far back as 2005, the top transplant doctor in China, then serving as the nation’s vice minister of health, admitted that roughly 95% of all organ transplants came from prisoners.

In recent years, leading researchers have documented a reprehensible aspect of these life-ending extractions: Prisoners of conscience – religious minorities and political dissidents are the main victims. There’s now extensive evidence that Chinese surgeons first honed their murderous organ harvesting practices on practitioners of Falun Gong, a meditation and exercise movement. In recent years, the regime expanded its pool of victims to China’s imprisoned Uyghur population as part of its systematic oppression of the Muslim minority group.

China has vehemently denied these claims, but in 2019, the China Tribunal, a non-governmental, independent commission in the U.K., concluded otherwise. The Tribunal investigated accusations of organ harvesting in China and found that some of the more than 1.5 million detainees in Chinese prison camps are being killed for their organs to serve a booming transplant trade worth an estimated $1 billion a year. The Tribunal also found that the Chinese organ trafficking industry is harvesting organs from executed prisoners and political prisoners at an industrial scale, actions that constitute crimes against humanity.

In response to the Tribunal’s findings, more than a dozen United Nations human rights experts said they were extremely alarmed by reports that organ harvesting was targeting “specific ethnic, linguistic or religious minorities, including Uyghurs, Tibetans, Muslims, and Christians” detained in China. The experts, who operate under United Nations mandates but do not speak on the international organization’s behalf, called on China to respond to the allegations of illegal organ harvesting promptly and to allow international human rights monitors into hospitals and other areas to monitor the country’s organ extraction practices. China has ignored those requests.

In 2022, the American Journal of Transplantation, the leading medical transplant publication in the world, published a peer-reviewed article that uncovered compelling evidence that Chinese surgeons are systematically removing organs from prisoners while they are still alive, providing on-demand supplies for China’s organ export industry.

The practice violates the internationally accepted “dead-donor” rule that holds that organ procurement “must not commence until the donor is both dead and formally pronounced so.”

“Forced organ harvesting is an atrocity, and the disruption and deterrence of this practice should be a priority of the State Department,” the group of lawmakers wrote.

“Getting the PRC to account and fully address evidence of forced organ harvesting will be critical in ending this horrific practice and promoting, long term, the establishment of a truly voluntary organ donation system,” they continued. “With effective enforcement mechanisms, we can work towards ensuring organs are procured safely and ethically.”

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

quote:

There’s now extensive evidence that Chinese surgeons first honed their murderous organ harvesting practices on practitioners of Falun Gong, a meditation and exercise movement.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
lol, this is because Turkey uncovered an Israeli organ harvesting scheme

WhiskeyWhiskers has issued a correction as of 01:03 on May 8, 2024

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

lol, this is because Turkey uncovered an Israeli organ harvesting scheme

another one?!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah also "uncovered" might be better replaced with, 'stopped allowing them to continue.'

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

I grew up in a town where prison was the main industry. Guards there were always happy to tell you about all the crimes they commit, so why don't I see more interviews with Chinese prison guards who do all these crimes?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

uninterrupted posted:

It definitely had an impact on restaurants. When I went basically every place went out of their way to offer to-go boxes, there were signs everywhere at nice restaurants urging people to avoid food waste (right next to signs assuring customers they didn't carry radioactive Japanese fish lol).

Hedenius posted:

When I went with my wife and her (quite well off) relatives to eat at fancy restaurants 10-15 years ago nobody would ever bring anything. Nowadays every single leftover is brought home by someone. It's a very nice change.

huh, okay. I guess it was more of an us thing. it maybe it was a HK thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Talon_Haribon/status/1787781467227251049?t=ipFzo0FQp5dUDqPzo_mMHQ&s=19

Hate this place

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Telluric Whistler posted:

I grew up in a town where prison was the main industry. Guards there were always happy to tell you about all the crimes they commit, so why don't I see more interviews with Chinese prison guards who do all these crimes?

I can't find any published interviews with American or English prison guards about their crimes either. Maybe you need to talk to the Chinese prison guards like you do at home?

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

A group of leading China critics in Congress is urging the State Department to step up its efforts to curb Beijing’s gruesome $1 billion forced organ harvesting trade, which targets ethnic and religious minorities, including Uyghurs, Tibetans, Muslims, Christians, and Falun Gong practitioners.

Six members of the Congressional-Executive Commission on China, or CECC, sent a letter last week to Secretary of State Antony Blinken asking him to utilize existing agency reward programs to provide monetary incentives for information that will “deter and disrupt the market for illegally procured organs” in China. Rep. Chris Smith, who chairs the CECC, and Sen. Marco Rubio, the commission’s ranking member, joined Democrat Rep. Jennifer Wexton of Virginia and GOP Reps. Michelle Steel of California, Zach Nunn of Iowa, and Ryan Zinke of Montana in signing the letter.

The State Department manages two programs that offer awards of up to $25 million for information leading to the arrest and/or conviction of members of significant transnational criminal organizations. One focuses on violators of U.S. narcotics law, and another targets other crimes that threaten U.S. national interests, including human trafficking, wildlife trafficking, cybercrime, money laundering, and trafficking in arms and other illicit goods.

“We strongly support the Department of State’s efforts to issue rewards for wildlife and narcotics trafficking in the [People’s Republic of China],” the lawmakers wrote. “However, given the global demand for organ transplants and the evidence of the illegal trafficking of organs in the PRC, there is a pressing need to uncover first-hand information from those who witnessed or engaged in the practice.”

A State Department spokesperson said the agency does not generally comment on congressional correspondence but stressed that the Chinese government should allow “independent and transparent investigations into the country’s organ transplantation system and should welcome independent observers to investigate the veracity of these reports.”

“Researchers, activists, and organizations continue to compile concerning information on harvesting organs from non-voluntary donors, including prisoners of conscience and members of minority groups such as Falun Gong practitioners and predominantly Muslim Uyghurs,” the spokesperson said. “If these allegations are corroborated, they would be a blatant abuse of human rights and an egregiously unethical medical practice.”

The spokesperson also called on the Chinese government to cease “its depraved actions against prisoners of conscience, to act in accordance with its human rights commitments and to fully comply with all relevant medical and ethical standards and best practices, including acting in the best interests of the patient, informed consent, and respect for personhood.”

Communist China has long harvested prisoners’ organs, even though the government in Beijing initially asserted that all their organ extractions were from voluntary donors. But as far back as 2005, the top transplant doctor in China, then serving as the nation’s vice minister of health, admitted that roughly 95% of all organ transplants came from prisoners.

In recent years, leading researchers have documented a reprehensible aspect of these life-ending extractions: Prisoners of conscience – religious minorities and political dissidents are the main victims. There’s now extensive evidence that Chinese surgeons first honed their murderous organ harvesting practices on practitioners of Falun Gong, a meditation and exercise movement. In recent years, the regime expanded its pool of victims to China’s imprisoned Uyghur population as part of its systematic oppression of the Muslim minority group.

China has vehemently denied these claims, but in 2019, the China Tribunal, a non-governmental, independent commission in the U.K., concluded otherwise. The Tribunal investigated accusations of organ harvesting in China and found that some of the more than 1.5 million detainees in Chinese prison camps are being killed for their organs to serve a booming transplant trade worth an estimated $1 billion a year. The Tribunal also found that the Chinese organ trafficking industry is harvesting organs from executed prisoners and political prisoners at an industrial scale, actions that constitute crimes against humanity.

In response to the Tribunal’s findings, more than a dozen United Nations human rights experts said they were extremely alarmed by reports that organ harvesting was targeting “specific ethnic, linguistic or religious minorities, including Uyghurs, Tibetans, Muslims, and Christians” detained in China. The experts, who operate under United Nations mandates but do not speak on the international organization’s behalf, called on China to respond to the allegations of illegal organ harvesting promptly and to allow international human rights monitors into hospitals and other areas to monitor the country’s organ extraction practices. China has ignored those requests.

In 2022, the American Journal of Transplantation, the leading medical transplant publication in the world, published a peer-reviewed article that uncovered compelling evidence that Chinese surgeons are systematically removing organs from prisoners while they are still alive, providing on-demand supplies for China’s organ export industry.

The practice violates the internationally accepted “dead-donor” rule that holds that organ procurement “must not commence until the donor is both dead and formally pronounced so.”

“Forced organ harvesting is an atrocity, and the disruption and deterrence of this practice should be a priority of the State Department,” the group of lawmakers wrote.

“Getting the PRC to account and fully address evidence of forced organ harvesting will be critical in ending this horrific practice and promoting, long term, the establishment of a truly voluntary organ donation system,” they continued. “With effective enforcement mechanisms, we can work towards ensuring organs are procured safely and ethically.”

i used to figure there was at least a little bit of organ trickery going on on the side even tho all the sources were just falun but now that epoch times have proven they will just post straight up qanon poo poo i have to assume there's actually a system of prison healthcare that includes organ transplants

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm guessing poo poo like this doesn't work as well as it used to.

"let us put more spies in your country or we'll accuse you of violating human rights"
"go right ahead, nobody cares what America complains about anymore"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

this allusion meant posted:

i used to figure there was at least a little bit of organ trickery going on on the side even tho all the sources were just falun but now that epoch times have proven they will just post straight up qanon poo poo i have to assume there's actually a system of prison healthcare that includes organ transplants

iirc trueAnon did an episode where they explained that the organ transplant industry wasn't well regulated but according to some international body that tracks these things, all signs are that it's normal now.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Telluric Whistler posted:

They destroyed the originals and replaced them with gaudy colorful poo poo! This would be like painting the gorgeous Roman marbles with bright primary colors!

:hmmyes:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You know why America is losing the propaganda war? People are using Tiktok more. That's why China will never allow bytedance sell Tiktok US to the US. The congress can pass 10 more laws to ban Tiktok all day long. The Washington elites are about to find out they can't build a great firewall to save their lives.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

You know why America is losing the propaganda war? People are using Tiktok more. That's why China will never allow bytedance sell Tiktok US to the US. The congress can pass 10 more laws to ban Tiktok all day long. The Washington elites are about to find out they can't build a great firewall to save their lives.

Elon buying twitter and purging all the "former FBI" people from the mod team almost certainly hosed up Israel's PR response to what happened and I think it's hilarious

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://youtu.be/vtiloI_rZ5A?si=OrYNbaAx0jsWjkV7

lollin'

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Didn't realize Xi picked the 25th anniversary date to visit Serbia.

https://twitter.com/upholdreality/status/1787896066408628319?t=dH7KFiX563n9an0EqCzcTA&s=19

:neverforget:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Well on the bright side if Israel did it they likely did it very poorly.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

stephenthinkpad posted:

https://twitter.com/upholdreality/status/1787896066408628319?t=dH7KFiX563n9an0EqCzcTA&s=19

Everybody knows it was an accident. They were trying to bomb the baby formula factory 2 blocks over but it was just so dang hard to correlate accurate GPS coordinates off of maps that predate GPS.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Actually it's communism being the most efficient easy to allocate resources, but please tell me more

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Nah, the moment the government reverted back to its planning model after the 2008 financial crisis, nice indian liberals started kvetching about corruption.

Liberals should be put in cages and poked with twigs and sticks tbh.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
One weird trick to stop people arguing about politics: have a governing party that does things with broad popular support

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
wtf, this is an absurdly positive story about BYD by modern american standards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE_-wilGupQ

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

One weird trick to stop people arguing about politics: have a governing party that does things with broad popular support

also an ansarallah tagline

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

bad news about the BJP

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

I know some people that would need to see a doctor after reading this.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

mila kunis posted:

bad news about the BJP

don't need popular support when you can microtarget everyone on their phone.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Okay but the Hong Kong protestors had a legitimate grievance in that they didn't want a man who brutally murdered his mainland girlfriend to face the authoritarian, totalitarian risk of being tried and punished for his crime

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

china should bomb rachel maddow and jen psaki

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

ikanreed posted:

Okay but the Hong Kong protestors had a legitimate grievance in that they didn't want a man who brutally murdered his mainland girlfriend to face the authoritarian, totalitarian risk of being tried and punished for his crime

It's stupidier than that, that HK man's gf was also HKer, he killed her in Taiwan (I think she was preggo) and fled back to HK. HK's stupid colonial law inherited from the British can not prosecute HK residents who commit murder outside of HK (probably by colonial design) and HK tried to send the guy back to Taiwan to be tried but the Taiwanese DPP government for their own anti--mainland reason refused to accept the murderer even though the murdered was willing to go there voluntarily with a priest.

Mainland only came into the picture because Beijing was trying to push for new law that partly fix it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Either way much less bad than being opposed to genocide

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
China ups ante, says it has audio recording of ‘new deal’ arrangement with PH Wescom chief

quote:

The word war between the Philippines and China intensified on Tuesday, May 7, with Chinese officials telling Bloomberg News that it “may soon” release what it’s claiming to be a phone call with a Filipino general about a supposed agreement to ease tensions in Ayungin Shoal.

Bloomberg, citing a Chinese official on background, said a transcript of the supposed recording of a phone call with Western Command (Wescom) Commander Vice Admiral Alberto Carlos “may be released to the public within days.” Still citing Chinese officials, Bloomberg said the transcript covers two minutes of a 12-minute phone call.

Carlos has gone on leave.

A copy of the transcript, as well as the recording itself, was later shared with The Manila Times also on Tuesday. The Times, in its report, said it could not confirm if Carlos was on the other side of the phone call with what the transcript referred to as a “Chinese diplomat.”

In the Times-published transcript of the purported January 3 call, Carlos allegedly agreed to and claimed the following:

- A “1+1” proposal, meaning only one Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) ship and one civilian vessel would be involved in the resupply mission. In the past year, the PCG deployed at least two – and even three – of its ships to escort two Navy-contracted civilian ships to bring supplies to Ayungin Shoal.
- The Philippines will notify China at least two days ahead of a resupply mission to the Sierra Madre.
- The agreement has the approval of Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief General Romeo Brawner Jr., Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr., National Security Adviser Eduardo Año, and another name which the transcript redacted.

Philippine media have made requests to the Chinese embassy in Manila for the official release of the purported transcript or the recording itself.

Spokespersons for the AFP and Navy downplayed China’s latest claim. In a message to Rappler, AFP spokesperson Colonel Francel Padilla said: “We do not comment on unsubstantiated, unverified and questionable sources.”

The Navy’s spokesperson for the West Philippine Sea, Commodore Roy Vincent Trinidad, called China’s newest claim as “zombie stories.”

“The best approach is to put these stories where they rightfully belong – in the grave, never to be heard again,” he said.

Carlos, who has commanded the Palawan-based Western Command since January 2022, is currently on “personal leave.” A two-star general has been assigned acting commander of the crucial post while Carlos is out.

it's kinda funny that they're trying to do it this way because what's more likely to happen is that whoever gets caught up in this recording and the allegations it lays out will be booted from office on the basis of being insufficiently aggressive towards China

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Lol China's got receipts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it must be exhausting to be the only reasonable government on earth surrounded by insane liberals